WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives > The All-Time Slammy Awards
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

View Poll Results: Greatest Match of All Time
Hart / Smith 2 5.88%
Savage / Steamboat 4 11.76%
Hart / Michaels 4 11.76%
Hart / Hart 1 2.94%
Ramon / Michaels 2 5.88%
Hogan / Warrior 6 17.65%
Hart / Austin 7 20.59%
Savage / Flair 0 0%
Austin / Benoit 4 11.76%
Edge & Christian / Hardy Boyz 4 11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2008, 11:22 AM
Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
Undisputed WWE Champion

IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...
Default Best Match of All Time

Hart vs Smith, SummerSlam 1992

Vince McMahon took a risk putting this match on last with Savage vs Warrior for the WWF Title being the match with the Main Event implications. Well, Hart and Bulldog didn't disappoint. With 80,000+ of Bulldog's countrymen watching and wife / sister Diana in the crowd, Davey pinned Hart in one of the greatest matches ever.

Savage vs Steamboat, WrestleMania 3

It's been said - Hogan vs Andre drew the fans, but Savage vs Steamboat stole the show. The match itself was epic. They worked bodyparts, they sold like crazy, and the build up was insane. Steamboat getting revenge by winning the IC Title made it all worth it.

Hart vs Michaels, WrestleMania 12

This match is often criticized for being 40 minutes of rest holds and 20 minutes of wrestling, but these two men paced themselves and put out a risky hour-long WWF Title Match, where nobody truly knew who'd win.

Hart vs Hart, WrestleMania 10

The curtain jerker of the 10th Wrestling Gala stole the show off the bat - months of enmity came to a head as the Hart brothers put on a clinic, and ended with Owen LEAPING out of Bret's shadow with a victory role reversal and pinfall victory.

Ramon vs Michaels, WrestleMania 10

And two hours later, Michaels and Razor upped the ante with the first pay per view ladder match, featuring two IC Belts and two VERY creative superstars. They used the ladder and the ring to their advantage, and gave us a struggle we won't soon forget.

Hogan vs Warrior, WrestleMania 6

Another risk, the two top babyfaces headlining WrestleMania in a champion vs champion war. This match was so close, and between two powerhouses, with Warrior "getting the torch passed" to him as a top face in the WWF. Classic match.

Hart vs Austin, WrestleMania 13

Site of the infamous "double turn" in a classic submission match, Austin showed us he could wrestle and Hart showed us he could brawl - and the ending with Austin bleeding out of consciousness in the Sharpshooter is still among the most iconic moments ever.

Savage vs Flair, Wrestlemania 8

A personal favorite of mine, this match was for the WWF Title, for Savage's vindication, and for the honor of Miss Elizabeth. Savage was battling Flair and Mr. Perfect, and featured classic Heenan commentary and an emotional Elizabeth fighting her way to ringside to cheer on Randy, who won his 2nd title.

Austin vs Benoit, Smackdown 2001

The only televised match on this list, these two men engaged in a 30-minute clinic with REMINDED us what we learned at WM13 - Austin can damn sure mat wrestle. Paul Heyman booked this match and never got the credit he deserved. What a classic.

Edge and Christian vs The Hardyz, No Mercy 1999

These two teams held a ladder match that proved what great timing, creativity, and a total disregard for one's body could do in a match. The four men, at the end of a best-of-seven series, left it ALL in the ring in the first tag team ladder match, and laid the blueprint for TLCs and MITBs for years to come.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Shawn Michaels ♥
Undisputed WWE Champion

HBK-aholic is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...HBK-aholic is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...HBK-aholic is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...HBK-aholic is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...HBK-aholic is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...HBK-aholic is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...HBK-aholic is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...HBK-aholic is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...HBK-aholic is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...HBK-aholic is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...HBK-aholic is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...

I'm still debating this one, so I'm not going to vote just yet.

And I'm going to start off with what I usually think of as one of the best of all time - WM 12 Hart Vs Michaels. It takes incredible skill to put on an hour long match. You need stamina to keep going for that long, as well as to be able to keep the audience entertained and stop them walking out. This was a classic - both men gave it their all. And with the amount of heat about the 2, it just made it better. Either man could have won deservedly.

But then I got remembering the Hart Vs Austin match from WM13. One of the most underrated matches of all time. I never expected these two to work well together, but they did. It just goes to show how versatile both these wrestlers were.

Finally, Michaels Vs Ramon WM 10. Another of my favourite matches of all time. Set the stage for all other ladder matches, and all those that stem from ladder matches, including TLCs and MITBs. It was a great match coming from a great storyline.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Gentleman of the Old School
WWE Diva's Champion

Gelgarin is a Television Champion...Gelgarin is a Television Champion...Gelgarin is a Television Champion...Gelgarin is a Television Champion...Gelgarin is a Television Champion...Gelgarin is a Television Champion...Gelgarin is a Television Champion...Gelgarin is a Television Champion...Gelgarin is a Television Champion...Gelgarin is a Television Champion...Gelgarin is a Television Champion...
Send a message via MSN to Gelgarin

This is one poll where I'm going to throw away my objective reasoning. Say 'who gives a fuck' to lasting significance and recommend that logic and rational can 'bite me'.
I'm going to vote for my favorite match, for no other reason than because it was cool.

Edge and Christian vs The Hardyz may have been a spot fest. It may have had no psychology. It may have looked ridiculous in comparison to a lot of wrestling those days, but it was still bloody amazing. It's probably also the best example in history of a group of under card guys with not much of a feud going on going out and totally stealing the show.

Historically it has some significance. but that the end of a day, I'm voting for it because it had guys I like jumping off of ladders.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Clog Dancing on the Cobblestones
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...

Now this is the hardest one yet. As is my custom, let's break this down.

Hart vs. Smith- Classic in every sense of the word, but one thing stops this for me: it's for the IC title, and it's in the main event. The World Title goes on last, every show.

Savage vs. Steamboat- Possibly the greatest wrestling match in the history of American wrestling, for one simple reason, among many: no one knew who was going to win. That is what makes a match a classic to me. If you're watching a squash, it's dull, because you can fast forward to the ending. This match you coudln't miss a second. The early leader.

Hart vs. Michaels- Except for a few moments in between, the only good part is the last 5 minutes and Overtime.

Hart vs. Hart- Love it, but just doesn't feel like a big match. It opened the show. That just kind of kills it, especially when Bret won the world title later in the ngiht after losing cleanly.

Ladder Match- Savage and Steamboat have competition. Anyone that says Shawn did this by himself is wrong. Razor was a big guy and he was right there with Shawn every step of the way. This was a classic, and ladder matches that are better are hard to come by, but I'd take HHH/Rock just by a hair. This one's out.

Hogan/Warrior- As a lifelong Hulkamaniac, I refuse to acknowledge that this match ever happened.

Hart vs. Austin- Now we have a possible new leader. This match singlehandedly made Steve Austin a star. Bret Hart was the absolutely perfect opponent here, and I don't think this match would have gone better. Throw in a great submission guy as a referee that actually didn't suck, and this might have overtaken WM 3.

Savage and Flair- This should have been Hogan and Flair, but for a variety of reasons it wasn't. Good match, but honestly I've never viewed it as a classic.

Austin and Benoit- I fell asleep as the intros to this match were happening, and have never actually seen it.

Ladder Match 2- Been done, and been done better.

So we have two contenders, in two kinds of matches. If you want storyline and violence, go WM 13. If you want wrestling, go WM 3. In an odd bit, I'm taking 13, because JR is at his all time best in this match, shouting over Vince who for once took a backseat. FOr a match to be that good, it has to be the best ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker
Yes
Quote:
I am
Quote:
in fact
Quote:
better than you.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Global Moderator
ECW Champion

jmt225 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...jmt225 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...jmt225 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...jmt225 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...jmt225 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...jmt225 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...jmt225 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...jmt225 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...jmt225 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...jmt225 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...jmt225 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...

I went with Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin from Wrestlemania 13. While it's not my favorite match to take place in the WWF, it's still my favorite one on the list and I truly believe it is the best match to take place in a WWE ring (to get that straight, to me there's a big difference between "favorite" and "best").

Everything about the match was perfect. The build-up to it was fantastic. Ken Shamrock as special guest ref was a great idea. Everything about it was special.

Those two just told a great, believable story that night, that elevated not just themselves, but the entire business.

In all my years as a wrestling fan, I don't think there has ever been a more iconic moment then Austin in the Sharpshooter with blood flowing down his face, refusing to give up. And JR's commentary during that couldn't have been better, either.

Just a truly epic match. That word "epic" has become popular over the internet for whatever reason and gets thrown around a lot, but Austin/Hart from 'Mania 13 in the one match in WWF history that you could use that word for and have it truly be justified.

sendpm.gif
Old 12-09-2008, 07:49 PM
SHALL WE BEGIN?

Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...

IC, you sicken me. The best match of all time isnt even a choice.

Bret Hart Vs Mr.Perfect at SummerSlam for the IC title is an absolute masterpeice. A match that is just perfect, in every way. Selling, back and forth, no bothces, near falls, great phsycology. The best match of all time.

As for the choices available, im going with against the smarky grain, and go with the REAL greatest match ever (from the list) that being Ultimate Warrior Vs Hulk Hogan. This match was absolutely epic, and a first for the golden era WWE. The crowd of over 60,000 was electric, split down the middle, and on the egd of their seats for the ENTIRE contest. I love Hart Vs Austin, but we didnt even get a clean decisive finish, and it had a somewhat overbearing reliance on weapons and brawling. Hogan Vs Warrior had ZERO of that, save for an epic body slam on the OH so damaging concrete floor. The crowd was in absolute froth over every punch, shoulder block, and chin lock. Just an amazing display.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz

Shocky is being held back by Triple H...Shocky is being held back by Triple H...Shocky is being held back by Triple H...Shocky is being held back by Triple H...Shocky is being held back by Triple H...Shocky is being held back by Triple H...Shocky is being held back by Triple H...Shocky is being held back by Triple H...Shocky is being held back by Triple H...Shocky is being held back by Triple H...Shocky is being held back by Triple H...
Send a message via AIM to Shocky Send a message via MSN to Shocky

Of the choices available. I'm going with Hart vs. Austin at Mania 13, even though I don't think it's the best match.

This match was brutal, and was a great way to put over the double switch. Austin and Hart had a great match at Survivor Series in 1996, with Austin slowly starting to get over more on Hart.

It built, and built from there. The Rumble saw Hart eliminate Austin,b ut Austin comeback in while the refs weren't looking, and eliminate Hart, and then they ran into each other at In Your House the next month in the four way match.

It all led up to one of the greatest matches ever. Austin vs. Hart, and everyone knows the rest. Austin refusing to tap out, and simply passed out with blood gushing from his forehead. For people that say Austin can't wrestle, 1997 should be something everyone needs to watch. Austin's best year as a wrestler in my opinion was 1997, and it's not even close.

Now as far as the best match ever, Angle vs. Benoit, Royal rumble 2003.

sendpm.gif
Old 12-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
Undisputed WWE Champion

IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Cold Mighty NorCal View Post
IC, you sicken me. The best match of all time isnt even a choice.
Your face sickens me.

Quote:
Bret Hart Vs Mr.Perfect at SummerSlam for the IC title is an absolute masterpeice. A match that is just perfect, in every way. Selling, back and forth, no bothces, near falls, great phsycology. The best match of all time.
AH yes, I racked my brain for a solid ten minutes trying to make eliminations to get the nominations down to 10. And this match was - I promise you - #11. Sorry man. You could damn sure make the case. Hart / Perfect was AMAZING. But you could just as easilly make the case for the ten I did end up choosing. Sorry man.

Quote:
As for the choices available, im going with against the smarky grain, and go with the REAL greatest match ever (from the list) that being Ultimate Warrior Vs Hulk Hogan. This match was absolutely epic, and a first for the golden era WWE. The crowd of over 60,000 was electric, split down the middle, and on the egd of their seats for the ENTIRE contest. I love Hart Vs Austin, but we didnt even get a clean decisive finish, and it had a somewhat overbearing reliance on weapons and brawling. Hogan Vs Warrior had ZERO of that, save for an epic body slam on the OH so damaging concrete floor. The crowd was in absolute froth over every punch, shoulder block, and chin lock. Just an amazing display.
If I remember right, Hogan / Warrior's finish wasn't decisive either. There was tremendous controversy among fans after that match, with people claiming that Hogan got his shoulder up JUST prior to three, whereas other say it was AT three. Either way, it was damn close, thought that's part of what made the match so great.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-09-2008, 11:14 PM
SHALL WE BEGIN?

Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...

Well I happen to have been 4 years old when the match happened, so I cant really remember the fall out with a ton of accuracy. I know when I watched the match some years after it happened, I found the finish to be just fine decisive. The reason for this being, Hogan accepted defeat, and acknowleged Warrior as the better man on that evening. Handed him the title, shook his hand, and bowed out of the ring. If thats not decisive, I dont know what is...
Old 12-10-2008, 03:32 AM
You don't want it with me.
WCW TV Champion

FromTheSouth is an Intercontinental Champion...FromTheSouth is an Intercontinental Champion...FromTheSouth is an Intercontinental Champion...FromTheSouth is an Intercontinental Champion...FromTheSouth is an Intercontinental Champion...FromTheSouth is an Intercontinental Champion...FromTheSouth is an Intercontinental Champion...FromTheSouth is an Intercontinental Champion...FromTheSouth is an Intercontinental Champion...FromTheSouth is an Intercontinental Champion...FromTheSouth is an Intercontinental Champion...

I voted Austin/Benoit.

I know Benoit is in hell, but just taking the match as a whole, this is the best match I have ever seen. Benoit hit ten consecutive german suplexes. Fuck three. He hit 10.

Austin and Benoit put on a mat wrestling clinic. There was no ladders. There were no gimmicks. There was no screwjob , no man gained a clear advantage, and the face rage was overcome by heel tactics. There were two men and 30 minutes of free TV wrestling.

I remember the match for the middle, not the end. I struggled to remember who won. Every move was signifigant, as it set up the next series. The reversals and false finishes were amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneBigWill
FTS is my hero. I'm done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
We're awesome. That's really all there is to it.

Last edited by FromTheSouth : 12-10-2008 at 03:35 AM.
sendpm.gif