WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives > The All-Time Slammy Awards
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

View Poll Results: All Time WWF/E Superstar
Hulk Hogan 18 38.30%
Ric Flair 1 2.13%
Randy Savage 0 0%
Bret Hart 4 8.51%
Shawn Michaels 7 14.89%
Undertaker 2 4.26%
John Cena 5 10.64%
Bruno Sammartino 2 4.26%
Steve Austin 6 12.77%
Triple H 2 4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
Undisputed WWE Champion

IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...
Default All Time Superstar

Hulk Hogan

The Hulkster, the man many feel launched professional wrestling as a world-wide force on two separate occassions.

Ric Flair

More World Titles than fingers, Flair styled and profiled through NWA, WCW, and WWF, winning titles and wowing fans at every single stop.

Randy Savage

"Madness" is thought by many to be among the most intense superstars of all time, winning World Titles in WWF and also carrying some of the greatest feuds of all time.

Bret Hart

"The Excellence of Execution" won several world titles, IC Titles, and Tag Titles, as well as the 1993 King of the Ring. He's won numerous "Match of the Year" awards, and despite his great babyface persona, many feel his heel work in the late 90's was the best of his career.

Shawn Michaels

"The Showstopper," this man went to a singles career in the early 90's and went on to become one of the most exciting WWF Superstars ever, often stealing the show at WrestleManias.

The Undertaker

"The Deadman" has been WWF's franchise player since 1990, never lapsing in employment of loyalty. He is also known for his WrestleMania winning streak and several feuds with HUGE men.

John Cena

Still young, but he's already been handed the keys to the WWE Ferrari and has the job of driving them into the next 10 years. By far the most over superstar in the WWE right now.

Bruno Sammartino

A truly longevitous champion, this man sold out MSG more times that we can count, and once held the WWF Title for a decade solid.

Steve Austin

"Stone Cold" saved the WWF during the lowest points of the Monday Night Wars and ushered in the Attitude Era with his foul language and anti-authority rebellion.

Triple H

Gets the final nod over "The Rock" on sheer longevity, The Game has often carried WWF as a heel in the late 90's and early '00's, as leader of Evolution, or as a face currently. Also the leader of DX's best incarnation in the late 90's.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Shawn Michaels ♥
Undisputed WWE Champion

HBK-aholic is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...HBK-aholic is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...HBK-aholic is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...HBK-aholic is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...HBK-aholic is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...HBK-aholic is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...HBK-aholic is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...HBK-aholic is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...HBK-aholic is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...HBK-aholic is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...HBK-aholic is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...

I can't vote against Shawn Michaels here. I don't expect him to win, there are too many Hogan/Hart fans on the board. And if either of those won there'd be no problem - both would deserve it.

But I don't want one of the biggest stars of all time to be underrated here, something which usually happens in this type of situation. This is a man who can carry anybody to a good match, a man who makes fans care more than anyone else, and a man who will do anything to keep his opponent safe. This man has wrestled to numerous MOTY awards, and recently won the Slammy for match of the year against Ric Flair at Wrestlemania.

He can wrestle tag team, as well as he can singles. Some of his best matches coming from possibly the most underrated team of all time. He and Marty Jannety are the reason we have the tag wrestling we all love today. When they wrestled their joint style, when they worked together and strung moves along, it was something that had never happened in the WWE before. It was something so new to McMahon he never trusted it enough to give them a proper run as tag team champions. Look at the tag division today. Full of Marty's and Shawn's. Proof enough McMahon was wrong to not trust them.

The break-up of The Rockers was one of the biggest moments in history - still spoke about today on a wide level. Something which had never been done before. That phrase keeps popping up. 'Never been done before'. It says a lot about Shawns impact on the business.

Fast Forward a little while - Shawn's WWE Champion. At one of the hardest times in the company's history. It's precisely that last sentence which makes comparisons of todays ratings compared to then so stupid. While no one's trying to pretend he was the biggest draw of the company ever, people seem to forget he was up against incredibly tough competition. Competition that the WWE hadn't seen before and hasn't seen again. Take all information from around this time with a pinch of salt if compared to anything else.

Royal Rumble 1998. Shawn fans collectively despise the PPV. It was here Shawn suffered an injury which to many others would be career ending. And for 4 years, that's what was believed. 4 years of battling, 4 years of no wrestling from the Showstopper. And then it's 2002, and we hear a woman screaming, we see Shawn coming out in the black and white. He has returned as a member of the NWO. This shows how much passion he has for the business. Not only did he come back as good as he was before, he came back a changed man. The new evoltuin of The Heartbreak Kid was here, and was better than ever.

He's 43 years old. 43, and can still go out there with the best of them. His recent feud with Jericho is proof of that. Great matches and great promos. While he appears to be slowing down lately, there's no signs of him stopping. Shawn Michaels is truely worthy of this title.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Gentleman of the Old School
WWE Diva's Champion

Gelgarin is a Television Champion...Gelgarin is a Television Champion...Gelgarin is a Television Champion...Gelgarin is a Television Champion...Gelgarin is a Television Champion...Gelgarin is a Television Champion...Gelgarin is a Television Champion...Gelgarin is a Television Champion...Gelgarin is a Television Champion...Gelgarin is a Television Champion...Gelgarin is a Television Champion...
Send a message via MSN to Gelgarin

Ah ha! And here we see the inherent politicalness of the Slammy Awards.
You will note that Lou Thesz in not in the running for a Slammy Award for the incredibly petty reason that he never worked for the company. Disgusting.

With that out of the way, I'm struggling to find a reason not to vote for Sammartino. I'm not a big fan of Bruno... and I place a certain degree of blame on him for the fall of the NWA. I also don't think he pioneered in the same way a lot of the greats from that time period did. He was just a strongman Rudy Miller pulled of the streets because he looked good and would appeal to migrants.

I think failure to change the industry is the back door I'm going to use to get around voting for the old school guy (I'm really doing it out of personal bias, Sammartino should win this thing) and instead I'm going to cast my vote for Hogan.

I'm sure somebody else is going to give the Hulk Hogan speech, and I wouldn't want to deprive S... them, so I'll just say that both Hogan and Sammartino relied of charisma over wrestling ability, Hogan can be credited for changing the face of professional wrestling to better sit his style... where as Sammartino spend the bulk of his carer looking like a poor mans Lou Thesz.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Clog Dancing on the Cobblestones
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...

I am a child of the 80s, and therefore there is only one choice here: the Immortal, Hulk Hogan. Let's go through the rest of the list anyway though.

Flair- What really is left to say here? This guy did it all, but one big thing sticks out in my mind, and I know this is true for others as well, but Flair is a 16 time World Champion. Doesn't that mean he lost 15 times?

Randy Savage-Say what you want about his in ring ability, but he always took a backseat to Hogan when they were together. Yes he was champion for a year, but he shared the spotlight with Hogan, or was shoved out for Hogan to take it.

Bret Hart- Probably the best pure wrestler here, but he never had the drawing power in this country that he had in Canada. Easily the best in the ring though.

Shawn Michaels- See Bret Hart, minus Canada and add in second before best.

The Undertaker- Yet again, the hardest to evaluate. We all know he's great, but where does he rank all time? He's got the resume, he's got the popularity, he can go with anybody in the ring and put on a passable match, but as always, he just is overshaddowed which is a shame.

John Cena- Yes, he's the best in the world today, but when you stack him up against the other greats, he falls short. Granted, the entire company falls short compared to the other eras, so that's simply not his fault.

Bruno- At the end of the day, he's the 2nd best strongman wrestler after Hogan, and that's nothing to be ashamed of. His records will stand forever, end of story. However, he is from a completely different era where television was almost a non factor in wrestling, and it's difficult to say what he would do nationwide, while we know what Hogan and Flair did.

HHH- Just no. He's great, but Rock and Austin were lightyears ahead of him when they were all together.

Steve Austin- the only, and I mean only person that I would put close to Hogan's league in terms of importance to WWF. Without Austin, WWF would have gone out of business in the 90s. that's all there is to it. However, he had some great help. Hogan had almost nothing for a large part of his career, i.e. WM 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker
Yes
Quote:
I am
Quote:
in fact
Quote:
better than you.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz

Shocky is being held back by Triple H...Shocky is being held back by Triple H...Shocky is being held back by Triple H...Shocky is being held back by Triple H...Shocky is being held back by Triple H...Shocky is being held back by Triple H...Shocky is being held back by Triple H...Shocky is being held back by Triple H...Shocky is being held back by Triple H...Shocky is being held back by Triple H...Shocky is being held back by Triple H...
Send a message via AIM to Shocky Send a message via MSN to Shocky

While there have been greats, there ahve been icons, there have been main eventers, there have been showstoppers, there have been men to claim to be the best there ever will be, but none of them are Immortal, save one.

Hulk Hogan. The greatest face of all time, the greatest heel of all time. The man that single handedly built the WWF and wrestlemania, the man that nearly single handedly put it out of business while making WCW the #1 company in the world. The man was the leader of two boom periods, no one else comes close.

Ric Flair, was good, but good at being the face of a dying breed and an aging system of doing business.

Randy Savage, while maybe the most solid in teh ring of the bunch, will always be known as Hogan's understudy.

Bret Hart: Great internationally, but forgotten stateside for the most part.

Shawn Michaels and the Undertaker: As much as I love and respect these two as wrestlers, in my opinion, they should never be considered anything more then career upper mid carders. Great attractions, but never good enough to carry the company on their own for an extended period of time.

John Cena: as much as Vince may want him to be the biggest, the jury is still out. Undoubtedly the best thing going today, but that's not saying much considering how bad the business is.

Bruno: maybe the number 2 guy on this list.

Triple H: ROFLMAOChopper.

Steve Austin. History will not be kind to the rattlesnake in my opinion.

sendpm.gif
Old 12-09-2008, 08:00 PM
SHALL WE BEGIN?

Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...

Lets all be serious. There is only one choice, even remotely considerable.

Triple H.

I lie. Its Hulk Hogan of course. Hulk Hogan is the absolute embodiment of everything that pro wrestling is, was, and ever will be. When people think pro wrestling, they think of Hulk Hogan. He is the only person ever to truly transcend the sport. He can work any style of match, and is the most over face, AND heel of all time. He is in the top 1% of every single catergory that makes a wrestler a good wrestler. There are no words.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:48 AM
You don't want it with me.
WCW TV Champion

FromTheSouth is an Intercontinental Champion...FromTheSouth is an Intercontinental Champion...FromTheSouth is an Intercontinental Champion...FromTheSouth is an Intercontinental Champion...FromTheSouth is an Intercontinental Champion...FromTheSouth is an Intercontinental Champion...FromTheSouth is an Intercontinental Champion...FromTheSouth is an Intercontinental Champion...FromTheSouth is an Intercontinental Champion...FromTheSouth is an Intercontinental Champion...FromTheSouth is an Intercontinental Champion...

Hogan made the business. There are better performers. There are better mic guys. There is no one who took the business on his back as he climbed mountains like Hogan did. Twice. The 80's Hogan made the WWE the dominant entertainment company of the decade. No one would have ever though of wrestler crossing into mainstream entertainment before Hogan. The cartoon series is a great memory of my childhood.

nWo Hogan took backstage and put in onscreen, and still, the mystery was there. Kids asked if it was really fake. Adults started to question is Santa really did come down the chimney.

To be honest, to be as hated as Hogan, you have to have an amount of love from the audience that ONLY Hogan has ever had.

How did the Rock not even make the list?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneBigWill
FTS is my hero. I'm done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
We're awesome. That's really all there is to it.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-10-2008, 04:34 AM
Master of the Aussie kiss
WCW TV Champion

Sparky is getting phone calls from TNA...Sparky is getting phone calls from TNA...Sparky is getting phone calls from TNA...Sparky is getting phone calls from TNA...Sparky is getting phone calls from TNA...Sparky is getting phone calls from TNA...Sparky is getting phone calls from TNA...Sparky is getting phone calls from TNA...Sparky is getting phone calls from TNA...Sparky is getting phone calls from TNA...Sparky is getting phone calls from TNA...
Send a message via MSN to Sparky

it has to be.... the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be....

Shawn Michaels. There is nothing this guy hasnt done. First Grand Slam Champion ect. Is well adapted to many Match styles "Hardcore", Ladder, HIAC, IRONMAN, there isnt a match he cant compete in and pull it off.

Face it, the guy was WWE Champion when WCW was at its strongest and still manage to be popular. He, as a Tag Team was in the ME, more times then what the champion was. even now the guy manages to "carry" even the crappiest wrestler in matches that is more times then not the best match in their career.

You, Know he has to be one of if not THE best for all the respnsibilty that the WWE has enstowed with him. lettin g him come up with the idea of the HIAC, trusting him with the title as soon as he come back ect.

HBK is the ALL time superstar.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
Undisputed WWE Champion

IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...

First off, I want to respond to "fromthesouth" and his question as to why The Rock didn't make the list. Terrific as he may have been in the attitude era, only 10 options can be placed in a poll. The Rock didn't have the longevity or influence to stack up against the ten I listed (im my opinion), though he likely would have been #11. Fair question, and if you want to debate for him you may, but he's not nominated.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-11-2008, 08:40 AM
Slightly Autistic
Undisputed WWE Champion

Location: Stoke-on-Trent (Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of)
Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...

Out of the list you can really only take into account of who's run in wrestling will truly be remembered. That really only limits it to Austin & Hogan.

How much talk is their about Bruno Sammartino on this forum? Hardly any, so to people like us he's a nonentity. Somebody prove me wrong by getting a thread involving him past 50 pages.

Triple H, Undertaker, HBK & Flair all had their time at the top. But they weren't and never will be, the big guns.

Bret Hart was WWF's top superstar when nobody watched wrestling. He missed most of the big era's. In the 80's he was a lowly tag team wrestler, and he missed the Attitude Era & WCW's big run.

Savage was always second best to Hogan. So it comes down to Hogan & Austin. I'm no fan of both so I'll go with Mick Foley. Because out of all the people on the poll the only half of them benefited from being involved with him.
sendpm.gif