WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > General Wrestling Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 02-07-2015, 07:59 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Radical Canadian Goose is looking to come up from OCW...Radical Canadian Goose is looking to come up from OCW...Radical Canadian Goose is looking to come up from OCW...Radical Canadian Goose is looking to come up from OCW...Radical Canadian Goose is looking to come up from OCW...Radical Canadian Goose is looking to come up from OCW...Radical Canadian Goose is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Which wrestling death affected you the most?

I was just reading a story about Davey Boy Smith. It got me to thinking how hard I take it when certain wrestlers pass away. Davey Boy Smith, Curt Hennig, Owen Hart, Eddie Guerrero, Crash Holly, gasp, Chris Benoit. All of these deaths played a toll on me as an impressionable fan.

Owen Hart was tough because at the time he was my favourite wrestler. I remember waking up and doing some chores in the barn. My brother turned on the radio, and bam, the first thing we heard was Owen Harts death. I was devastated. I remember later that morning at the bus stop popping a kid in the face for making fun of Owen.

Chris Benoit was a tough one because of the circumstances involved. I choose not to elaborate, other than to say the fact that this death made me realize the serious effects of drugs and mental issues involved with taking steroids

However for whatever reason Davey Boy Smith, played the hardest on me. I was always fascinated by the British Bulldog(s). Davey and his physique in particular fascinated me. I remember reading as a kid ( I could be wrong) that he beat up someone in a bar for calling wrestling fake. As years went on, I knew he was roided, but didn't care. I absolutely enjoyed Davey Boy Smith.

For me Davey Boy Smith played the hardest on me. Which wrestling death played the hardest on you. Please, let's try not to make this a Benoit thread, if possible
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:08 PM
The hardcore casual fan
WWE Diva's Champion

TheICChampion worked a dark match on ECW recently...TheICChampion worked a dark match on ECW recently...TheICChampion worked a dark match on ECW recently...TheICChampion worked a dark match on ECW recently...TheICChampion worked a dark match on ECW recently...TheICChampion worked a dark match on ECW recently...TheICChampion worked a dark match on ECW recently...TheICChampion worked a dark match on ECW recently...TheICChampion worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Latino Heat Eddie Guerrero. I remember I was in school and I heard this guy behind me saying Eddie Guerrero had died and I was like "Nah, no way that's true". Then of course I saw RAW that night and I remember legit crying or at least pretty damn close. It's always a shocker when you see a superstar on TV and then they're dead soon after. Ultimate Warrior, now that was something I didn't see coming, and it was almost spooky when you consider that promo he cut on RAW and died the next day. If I didn't know better I'd think he knew he was going to die soon.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:22 PM
R.I.P Mustang Sally :( :( :(
WWE European Champion

L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheICChampion View Post
Latino Heat Eddie Guerrero. I remember I was in school and I heard this guy behind me saying Eddie Guerrero had died and I was like "Nah, no way that's true". Then of course I saw RAW that night and I remember legit crying or at least pretty damn close. It's always a shocker when you see a superstar on TV and then they're dead soon after. Ultimate Warrior, now that was something I didn't see coming, and it was almost spooky when you consider that promo he cut on RAW and died the next day. If I didn't know better I'd think he knew he was going to die soon.
This.

It was a huge shock at a time when I used to be purely casual and watched both RAW and SD! regularly.

Shortly after, I took a long long break. Not neccessarily cuz of Eddie's death, but it did play a role in me and many of my friends moving on.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:57 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

rmp0012002 is looking to come up from OCW...rmp0012002 is looking to come up from OCW...rmp0012002 is looking to come up from OCW...

Warrior. He along with his family was at the highest point of his career and he died the next day. His father and grandfather both died of the same heart condition at the same age so I believe he knew he was nearing the end. You could tell by how he walked that he was not well but his strirring promo on Raw was classic.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:34 AM
Sells seashells by the seashore
Undisputed WWE Champion

Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheICChampion View Post
Latino Heat Eddie Guerrero.
His death bothered me a lot, more for the lessons to be learned about treating our bodies well than for the man himself. For the latter, I felt worse for the wife & kids he left behind.

But when I read about Eddie, I remembered him being kicked out of WWE for awhile when he couldn't control his substance abuse ways. Then, after "recovering" and getting the crap out of his system, one figures (and he probably figured): "Great! I'm done with this stuff forever. I can get my job & family back and everything will be fine."......and for awhile, it was.

In the end, though, he couldn't undo the damage he had already done. It should be a lesson to all folks who abuse substances and say: "I can quit any time I want."

The point is, maybe you can quit, but it doesn't guarantee the damage you did might not catch up with you somewhere down the line.

My second choice was Elizabeth. When I first saw her on WWE TV, I was about 7....and Liz was my idol, she really was. Such grace and class even while hanging out with a bunch of behemoths while never losing her grace, charm and innocence.

Yet, even while we don't know what went into a death that some called a combination of accidental overdose with suicide, I thought of other tales I've read of aging divas. Here was Elizabeth at 42, her youth and beauty undoubtedly on the decline, perhaps unable to score any of the prime "damsel in distress" roles that were offered her 10-15 years earlier. By most measures, I'm sure she was still a beautiful woman.....but by show business standards, she could have been regarded as over the hill.

I hope it wasn't despair over these things that killed her, but whatever it was, I felt bad when reading about it.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:44 AM
ECW TV Champion

OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...

Gotta be a tie between Eddie and Owen for me. I think the only two times I legitimately cried while watching a WWE show was those two tribute shows. Both of them were such mainstays in the WWE, it was hard to imagine a WWE without them, and all of the sudden they were both just gone. I think the shock-factor is what made it tough for me... not to mention that I had followed their careers from the start and they were two of my favorites at the times that they passed.

I think the scale of tragedy of those two added to my feelings as well.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:18 AM
The current reigning and defending
Undisputed WWE Champion

Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...

Of all time? Probably Eddie Guerrero. There was someone who was a good person, a great family man and an inspirational story of how someone can overcome addiction and abuse to rise to the top of their profession, doing what no-one would have expected. For that to be taken away from Eddie at such a young age is heartbreaking. I didn't cry but was very upset when I saw the news on Sky Sports, I remember just sitting there silently for a long time afterwards thinking about how awful it was.

Also, I'd say Mike Awesome and Sean O'Haire. Both commited suicide which is awful in itself and shows what a terrible mental state both must have been in. It saddens me as well as a fan because of how these 2 men had all th physical gifts in the world and should have accomplished more than they did, but weren't given the opportunities they deserved. I was a big fan of their work, still am today and for them never to become the mega stars they should have been, and then take their own lives at no age at all, is extremely sad.

R.I.P to Eddie, Mike and Sean.

IT'S A DILAPIDATED BOAT!!!
Old 02-09-2015, 04:17 PM

Vader is looking to come up from OCW...Vader is looking to come up from OCW...

I'd say either Owen Hart or Benoit.

I was a very big fan of both these guys as a kid and always thought they were great in the ring despite being stuck in the midcard. Owen's death was extremely untimely and a freak occurrence on a career that held more potential.

I was a huge Benoit fan as well. I was always Benoit as a kid during our backyard wrestling matches. Benoit's death was a shocker as a fan of him. At the time everyone's reaction was remorseful until the shock sank in once everyone found out what a heinous act he committed.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:36 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Just Do It is looking to come up from OCW...Just Do It is looking to come up from OCW...Just Do It is looking to come up from OCW...

The Chris Benoit one still blows my mind to think about. It was so sad and tragic one so many levels: perhaps the most complex also and we will never really know what happened.

Sadly we know what happened with Owen hart which stings because my all accounts he was a great person and a great family man above his in ring skills.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:22 AM

Really? is looking to come up from OCW...Really? is looking to come up from OCW...Really? is looking to come up from OCW...Really? is looking to come up from OCW...

There are two: Davey Boy Smith and Chris Benoit

In the case of Davey, I saw his last match. It was a tag match with his son. It was great to see him work again.

In terms of Benoit, I had met and him back when he first signed with WCW. He blew through town with Edge and Jericho. He was a good dude who I kept in touch with off and on over the years. Whenever he'd come through town, the same group that we were with that night would typically get together. I sent him a message right after Mania 20 and then again after Summerslam. I never heard from him after September that year. It is tough to understand or believe that the man that I'd met, communicated and been acquainted with could have done such unspeakable things.