WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 10-10-2013, 06:48 AM
Best in the World!

abhilash81 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default 2001 Invasion Angle Discussion

On November 18th 2001, one of the biggest storylines in professional wrestling history, came to an end: WWF beat team Alliance and "Took it all"
But things obviously didn't turn out as the fans were expecting when WCW was bought by Vince Mcmahon. The storyline is considered by many as the biggest wasted opportunity ever in wrestling. It lasted several months, got its own ppv called "InVasion" and several WCW and ECW wrestlers were hired to progress the storyline, but at the end of the day, a lot was left to be desired.

This thought came into my mind that what if WWE marketed this storyline as WWE vs. WCW, and somehow recruited the biggest names in wrestling at that time, keeping ECW out of the mix????

After the Invasion angle folded, the biggest WCW stars arrived in the span of next few months (years in case of Goldberg). What if WWE could've somehow succeeded in hiring all these big stars as soon as the purchase took place?? The nWo arrived in early 2002, Goldberg in 2003, and Sting never came and probably never will. If WWE could've gotten them all at once, imagine the possibilities that would've arised!! What if Triple H never tore his quad, and HBK was still an active wrestler at that point? A full year of matches and angles that fans never thought they would be able to see, finally ending at Survivor Series with the biggest dream match of all time.

In reality, we got this:

Team WWF ( The Rock , Chris Jericho , The Undertaker, Kane, and The Big Show )
vs.
Team Alliance ( Stone Cold Steve Austin, Rob Van Dam , Kurt Angle , Booker T, and Shane McMahon )

What about this:

Team WWF ( The Rock , Stone Cold Steve Austin , The Undertaker, D Generation X (Shawn Michaels and Triple H ) )
vs.
Team WCW ( nWo (Hollywood Hogan , Kevin Nash , Scott Hall ) , Goldberg, and Sting )

WCW invading WWF just after Wrestlemania 17 and kick starting the greatest storyline in wrestling history, with dream matches after dream matches and great promos for toppings, finally culminating in a Winner take all match at Survivor Series. Just think about the epic feuds packaged in this epic bout: DX vs. NWO, Taker vs. Sting, Austin vs. Hogan, Austin vs. Goldberg (Goldberg had challenged Austin to a match during the Monday Night wars) and more!!!!

This could've been a perfect angle to run an entire year with a perfect, well thought out, and well executed match to end it, with Austin finally pinning Hogan to take it all for the WWF. And ofcourse I had to insert Hall in there as he was the original founder of the nWo. And we don't need ECW in this match coz at the end of the day, no ECW star at that time was popular enough to be on team WCW, as compared to Sting, Goldberg and nWo.

So this was an idea of the Classic elimination Survivor Series match which never happened, but could've been had the cards been played right.

What do you think about this possibility and what would be your dream match to end the Invasion if everything would've gone right??

Last edited by abhilash81 : 10-10-2013 at 06:52 AM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:34 AM

B Negreanu is looking to come up from OCW...

HOLY FUCK. That would have been so epic.

Hogan VS Austin
Austin VS Goldberg
NWO VS DX

All three of these matches can headline their own fucking wrestlemania.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:17 AM
WCW TV Champion

rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

It was never a possibility because it didn't happen. If it was possible it would have happened.

Vince struck when the iron was hot, unfortunately it just wasnt hot enough. The talent he had at his disposal were B's at the best. DDP, Booker, RVD were about as good as it got. This is why Austin switched and Kurt Angle did too. The Alliance required star power.

Two things could have made the angle better in my opinion.

A) Have ex WCW talent like Big Show, Chris Jericho and Eddie Guerrero move to join the Alliance.

B) Wait 12 months until Hogan, Nash and Hall were available. Then have Goldberg join WWE 12 months later and destroy the Alliance.

The Invasion angle missed heavily Rock, Triple H and Benoit who were all out for a variety of reasons.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:50 AM

OneLoneSapper is looking to come up from OCW...

It would have been an interesting what if scenario to think, or fantasize about. But I think that even of the "big" names of wCw did decide to show up on Raw instead of sitting home and getting those big checks for not doing anything, it wouldn't have changed a thing.
Vince wasn't going to have WWE/F upstaged by wCw and the Invasion angle was about proving that WWE/F was better. You knew that the wrestlers from wCw weren't going to ever beat the WWE/F wrestlers, because Vince would never book them too. Sure they might get a win here or there, but nothing long term that meant anything.
There were only a couple of guys that Vince had alot of respect for from wCw and I think that was Ric Flair and Sting. He might have booked them in credible matches with meaningful wins. But Kevin Nash? Scott Hall? Goldberg? ..... I don't think so my friends. When the nWo did finally show up he made them look mediocre at best. And Goldberg, he would have had it harder than all the rest. I think it would have been worst of all for him.
Vince knew about Goldberg ending Brett Harts career, by throwing what had to be the stiffest superkick outside of a UFC sanctioned match. And he knew about Goldbergs time off because he decided his arm would win in a fight against a limo's window (the limo window totally won). I think Vince would have viewed him as a green guy who could potentially end the careers of his established draws. And I don't think Vince wanted any of his main attractions like Austin having their careers shortened even further by Goldberg. That being said, he came in at the right time.
You put Goldberg against Austin and 9 times out of 10 Austin is going over, by the fact Vince is booking it. You bring in the nWo at any time and 10 out of 10 times Hogan joins team WWE and Vince throws Shawn Michaels into the nWo . Also Hall falls off the wagon on the road, Nash gets hurt and the angle dies off fast.
The only meaningful wins that wCw would get would come from Flair and Sting, and Flair was in horrible ring shape at the end of wCw. So it really would come down to Sting, and while he is a legend. He is an icon. It wouldn't be enough to save the Invasion angle.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Knockout Champion

justinept worked a dark match on ECW recently...justinept worked a dark match on ECW recently...justinept worked a dark match on ECW recently...justinept worked a dark match on ECW recently...justinept worked a dark match on ECW recently...justinept worked a dark match on ECW recently...justinept worked a dark match on ECW recently...justinept worked a dark match on ECW recently...justinept worked a dark match on ECW recently...

This topic comes up all the time, but you're new here so I'll forgive it. The question shouldn't be whether or not it was better. Of course, it's better than what we got. The angle missed for three reasons: 1) The WCW stars weren't involved. 2) Triple H wasn't involved. 3) Vince McMahon's agenda was to bury the WCW brand (not a complaint, just a statement of opinion.) Your proposal definitely fixes TWO of those things, and given the money it would've taken to acquire the WCW stars, it's unlikely VKM would've simply buried his investment (The WCW stars also would've nixed it.) So the question shouldn't be if your idea is better - the question should be how feasible it was. And the answer is that it simply wasn't.

When Vince McMahon purchased WCW, he was buying the trademarks, logos and video library. He wasn't, however, purchasing the contracts because most - if not all - WCW talent was technically under contract by AOL Time Warner. Some of these talents were willing to take a buyout because it provided them the opportunity to wrestle in WWE. That's why you got the "B" talent, a group headlined by Booker T, because going to the WWE early in the process was their best chance to make it there. Stars like Hogan, Nash, Hall, Goldberg, Flair, etc had no reason to rush things. They were getting paid to do nothing, and everyone knew that their window to go to the WWE was eternally open.

As for the WWE side of things, you're forgetting two things: 1) Triple H tore his quad prior to the invasion and 2) Shawn Michaels was still mentally and/or physically unable to wrestle. Their involvement simply wasn't going to happen.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:37 PM
Best in the World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinept View Post
As for the WWE side of things, you're forgetting two things: 1) Triple H tore his quad prior to the invasion and 2) Shawn Michaels was still mentally and/or physically unable to wrestle. Their involvement simply wasn't going to happen.
That's why I mentioned in the topic: A Big "What If??"
I'm just ruling out all the important events that happened (HBK and HHH injuries, for eg.), in order ro create a dream match with possibly the 10 biggest stars of the Attitude Era (Monday night wars, if you will), inserted into it. That's the reason why I didn't take into account the significant events which happened during that period.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

daddyJ_t is looking to come up from OCW...

i caught the what if. it wouldve been nice to see
austin vs goldberg
sting vs taker
flair vs ??
jarrett(even though a cocksucker but still talented) vs angle
vince vs bischoff
outsiders vs dx
hogan vs rock
lance storm vs jericho
sid vicious vs kane
filthy animals(rey mysterio jr&billy kidman) vs hardy boys
disco infernbo vs k-kwick
these are just some of the alternates i have devised based on interest or gimmick simularities and based from the seperate rosters of wcw and wwf circa 2001
http://www.willywrestlefest.fr/WcW/H...Roster_WcW.htm
http://renardo6.tripod.com/WWF.com/id12.html
Old 10-10-2013, 04:15 PM
xavyer
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

xavyer is looking to come up from OCW...xavyer is looking to come up from OCW...xavyer is looking to come up from OCW...

If Triple H was active during the invasión angle it would have been a 100 times better, it doesn't matter if he was with team WWE or team Alliance, the guy is a master mind and he could have contributed to the angle in a mayor way, NWO, Golderg or HBK also would have been great, but with only Triple H in the mix it would have been big......
Old 10-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Totally Reeking of Awesomeness
X-Division Champion

HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...

This thread has been done to absolute death, but if it was possible it would have been absolute awesome. The end result would not have changed though. Vince was never going to paint WCW in any better light than he did. It might have been drawn out a little more, and we most certainly would have had many a dream match. It just wasn't in the cards though. Your big what if scenario is something that every wrestling fan would have creamed over. It is a shame that it didn't happen, but like I said I just don't think the result would have been much different.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Best in the World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBsam31 View Post
This thread has been done to absolute death, but if it was possible it would have been absolute awesome. The end result would not have changed though. Vince was never going to paint WCW in any better light than he did. It might have been drawn out a little more, and we most certainly would have had many a dream match. It just wasn't in the cards though. Your big what if scenario is something that every wrestling fan would have creamed over. It is a shame that it didn't happen, but like I said I just don't think the result would have been much different.
Yes you are totally right on that point. But who would've cared about the end result when we would've been getting dream match after dream match and this 5 on 5 on top of all that. We as fans know that it's scripted so our 1st preference is always getting to see a very good match. . original 5 on 5 was not A+ material but it was good and praised by a lot of critics. With great wrestlers like Sting, HBK, and HHH being in there, the match could've been more entertaining wih guaranteed good wrestling. And that's the most important thing in fans mind: Getting to witness a good wresrling match, who wins or loses, is a 2nd preference for most of us, atleast for me.