WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 09-06-2013, 08:00 PM

mareek sold out
Default In hindsight Mr. Kennedy was quite horrible

Every once in a while the WWE has a year where everything is straight golden and on point. It's like all the stars are aligned and they're just hitting all cylinders for a whole year straight. The last year this happened was 2011 which was a fantastic year for the WWE in terms of just pure entertaining the fans, but the year that always sticks out to me when I think of this is 2005.

In 2005 you had John Cena before he became JOHN CENA and he was still fresh and new. You had the rise of Batista who was just a physical beast that looked like he was going to become a mega star, in which he did. There was Edge, where he finally turned the corner and became BRILLIANT and was arguably the biggest heel in pro wrestling at the time. Christian was the best he's ever been in the WWE and in my opinion was the coolest bad guy since Hollywood Rock. You also had HBK, Orton, Angle, and a plethora of other superstars who were just on top of their game, and then you had Mr. Kennedy.

Mr. Kennedy at the time looked like he was poised to be the hottest thing in a while. I used to be on forums where he was compared to as the next Austin or Rock and these comparisons at the time did not seem ridiculous at all. He oozed with charisma and everyone knew he'd be something big--then he left and nothing happened.

But looking back at that time Kennedy legit had nothing going for him besides his entrance. He was a very subpar wrestler, never really had any really good promos, and yeah he had a very charismatic presence but there was no substance behind it. All of this rings even more true when you look at what he's become today and realize he's FUCKING HORRIBLE!
Old 09-06-2013, 09:28 PM

Ziirox is looking to come up from OCW...Ziirox is looking to come up from OCW...

I've held onto the same feeling for years. Mr. Kennedy/Anderson is quite possibly one of the most overrated performers in the last decade. Thank you! Since he's been in TNA, it's become more painfully obvious how sub-par he really is. He was never anything special in WWE either. Sure, his entrance was pretty great, but everything was very lackluster. Him winning the MITB briefcase was (to date) one of the worst booking decisions in WWE in the last decade. He just was not anything special. I'm glad he's floundering in TNA as a middle of the pack underling to a performer who is obviously better than him.
sendpm.gif
Old 09-06-2013, 09:48 PM

Lord_Frish is looking to come up from OCW...Lord_Frish is looking to come up from OCW...

From around 2004 to about 2009 I didn't watch much wrestling, which did offer me a slightly different perspective on things during that time. The few times I did catch it, Mr Kennedy stood out. The problem was he stood out like the noisy person in the movie theatre, not like a huge star I could really get into or want to fail. Just that mildly annoying person that you knew you didn't have to put up with once that hour or two were over.

I think this shows in TNA where he can barely stay in the main event picture or at least feel like a believable threat in it. So many of the wrestlers just outshine him, even if they aren't as well rounded as Kennedy/Anderson. AJ Styles can do amazing things in the ring so his lacking promo skills are forgivable etc., but Anderson is just average or slightly above average at everything. I can't imagine him ever making a return to WWE now, and if he did I think he would be lucky to get a mid card title. I don't believe he deserves the main TNA title either to be honest. I think his best role is helping other talent advance to the TNA title, maybe holding a TNA mid card title, but I don't think he particularly needs that either.
sendpm.gif
Old 09-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Laurie Strode's worst nightmare
World Heavyweight Champion

Mitch Myers is a Television Champion...Mitch Myers is a Television Champion...Mitch Myers is a Television Champion...Mitch Myers is a Television Champion...Mitch Myers is a Television Champion...Mitch Myers is a Television Champion...Mitch Myers is a Television Champion...Mitch Myers is a Television Champion...Mitch Myers is a Television Champion...Mitch Myers is a Television Champion...Mitch Myers is a Television Champion...

Funny, I think bashing Anderson after his release from WWE is one of the main reasons why I joined this forum.

I would always laugh, when some people on here and Anderson himself suggested WWE never gave him a fair chance, because it's bullshit. Yeah, feuds and matches with The Undertaker, Cena, a WHC match with Batista at Royal Rumble 2007, a MITB briefcase win, AND before WWE released him, it was clear they were setting up a Mr. Anderson VS a WWE Champion Randy Orton feud. Anderson nearly re-injured a WWE Champion Randy Orton's shoulder with a bad suplex, and he was responsible for Cena's pec tear (although, WWE covered that up for storyline reasons with Orton causing the injury by RKOing Cena on the announce table). Anderson was sloppy in the ring, and things haven't improved too much in TNA.

Yeah, you could point tho the injury bug being a problem, but look at his tenure in TNA. They gave the guy TWO runs with the world championship as a heel and a face, and both runs flopped horribly.

I've seen a good amount of "what's wrong with Anderson?" threads on here over the past few years, and the simple answer is the guy is not that good. His mic skills are decent at best, and the only great match I remember Anderson having in TNA or WWE is his steel cage match with Kurt Angle at Lockdown 2010. Other than that, think of one Anderson match that was something to remember. You can't.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:00 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Jerichoholic8894 is looking to come up from OCW...Jerichoholic8894 is looking to come up from OCW...

Completly agree.

I've always had a feeling (Never read it online or anything, so if it's true please let me know) that Mr. Kennedy was bound to lose his MITB even if it wasn't due to injury. Especially after announcing he would cash it in at the following WrestleMania (24 if i'm correct)

I've always felt they'd realize Kennedy wasn't ready for the WWE title, and would have him drop the briefcase. Especially if he was going to cash in at WrestleMania.

He had his opportunities, he was just such a sloppy wrestler that the locker room refused to wrestle him due to fear of injury.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Krissssssss Benwa...Benwa
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Kris Benwa is looking to come up from OCW...Kris Benwa is looking to come up from OCW...Kris Benwa is looking to come up from OCW...Kris Benwa is looking to come up from OCW...

I felt like Mr. Kennedy was the shit maybe I was just caught in the hype but he always did well to me. There was one promo of his I really liked I think he was talking about Mr. McMahon I thought that was a good promo then his TNA promo where he imitated Triple H was good too. I never felt like he was too bad in the ring this is a risky business injuries are bound to happen but I felt like Randy Orton was acting like a little bitch and that is one of the main reasons while I hate him to this day. I think the main reason why he's seemed to have fallen off in TNA because he just doesn't care at this point he was poised to be the next big thing in WWE so screw TNA is what my opinion of what his opinion is. But if you notice he hasn't been injured in TNA in a long time.
sendpm.gif
Old 09-06-2013, 11:55 PM
Behold my diction
Knockout Champion

enviousdominous is looking to come up from OCW...enviousdominous is looking to come up from OCW...enviousdominous is looking to come up from OCW...enviousdominous is looking to come up from OCW...enviousdominous is looking to come up from OCW...enviousdominous is looking to come up from OCW...

I honestly try to avoid criticising things I hate. I can have explanations on top of explanations to validate my opinion and be fully prepared to argue any point made to the contrary of my opinion. I learned my lesson when, as he was climbing the ranks, everyone had to have a John Cena sweat band. If it wasn't for Eminem and that stupid movie, John never would have happened. Just saying.

So now we're on Mr. Kennedy. I realize that it's very easy for me to say "I told you so" when I never really went public with the fact that I've always hated him. Sometimes I have to take a step back and realize that maybe I'm just not seeing what this guy has that's filling seats because my understanding of talent and foresight of potential are circumstantially limited. I'll now take my thoughts from back then into consideration.

Was he a good wrestler? He was passable. Honestly, he had a really stupid finisher. For some odd reason, he was being pushed to the stars by being granted (fluke) wins over former world champions. It all ended up just being a cheap setup for a United States Title match, but they were still some high profile wins. His finisher, in case some of you forgot or just didn't pay attention, was a rolling fireman carry from the top rope. Now, with finishers you have to believe that the opponent may have been so winded by the match that they had little option when stumbling into position for their opponent's finisher.

Take the powerbomb for example, you get kicked in the stomach and while doubled over in abdominal pain you suddenly realize that you're head is against your opponent's crotch. I find that pretty believable.

The Attitude Adjustment, or the Fuck You as it was when John Cena was still a pathetic Wanksta. You're stumbling in your fatigued stupor and John lifts you up onto his shoulders purely of his own strength. When it's executed without delay, you give your best "Oh shit!" face and you land rib first onto the mat. I can believe that.

Now then, the Greenbay Plunge as Mr. Kennedy called it. I have to say first, using the city "Greenbay" in your finisher just makes you look like an even bigger joke than saying your name twice in a failed attempt at dramatic effect. But anyway, the dreaded Greenbay Plunge. Have you ever had a complete brain dump? You ask yourself "What in the Hell did I just do? Oh for crying out loud, I feel like such a buffoon!". Mr. Kennedy wouldn't hoist you up and, in a feat of strength, climb to the top rope. That would be too believable. Mr. Kennedy would be on the top rope for whatever reason, he absolutely never initially intended to set up his Greenbay Plunge. Something would happen, maybe he lands on his crotch or maybe he's being setup for a super-plex. Mr. Kennedy and his opponent are on the top rope for whatever reason, again, absolutely never would it be so that Mr. Kennedy could conciously arrange for his Greenbay Plunge to be executed. Then a fluke would occur, Booker T or Rey would get distracted by something, and magically Mr. Kennedy's opponent would gravitate to his shoulders. This entire setup, in my opinion, is a fucking stupid set of occurrences to rely on if one intends to execute their finisher in every match. Before rolling forward, Mr. Kennedy would sing "LAAAAAAA!" in one of the worst baritones I've ever heard.

So his repitoire of moves sucks. He never had any interesting angles to his character either. I mean across the board, what he did in TNA is applicable as well. He went from a cheesy pretentious guy who loves old fashioned microphones, to the same thing in TNA, but this time he's ripping off Steve Austin. Not a lot of range on that one.

I'll say that his being fired from the WWE was bullshit. Randy used his bitch card and it was during an impromptu match that Vince whipped together because he was slighted by the owner of the Nuggets. Basically, not Ken Anderson's fault. Randy is still a whiner, and Vince is still having a train wreck of a mid-life crisis. I hate hate hated Ken Anderson, but I think he could have been great if he hadn't had to waste his talents in TNA.
sendpm.gif
Old 09-07-2013, 12:03 AM

DarrenYoungsCleanAssFro is looking to come up from OCW...

IDK guys. As much as Mr Kennedy was over-rated he pales in comparison to this other guy that was in WWE around the same time. You guys might remember him. His name was Bobby Lashley. I swear as soon as this guy's music hit, I fell asleep. I damn near fell asleep typing his name!

The WWE couldn't stop shoving this guy down everyone's throat despite the lack of responses. They put the ECW title on him even though he was quite possibly the least "extreme" wrestler I had ever seen. I think it was because it was around the time that the WWE was trying to kiss ass to the military. I'm pretty sure Bobby Lashley is the basis for SUPER CENA or at least he is in John Cena's mind...
Old 09-07-2013, 12:53 AM
WWE Women's Champion

Slash-LN scored a win over Santino Marella...Slash-LN scored a win over Santino Marella...Slash-LN scored a win over Santino Marella...Slash-LN scored a win over Santino Marella...Slash-LN scored a win over Santino Marella...Slash-LN scored a win over Santino Marella...Slash-LN scored a win over Santino Marella...Slash-LN scored a win over Santino Marella...Slash-LN scored a win over Santino Marella...Slash-LN scored a win over Santino Marella...Slash-LN scored a win over Santino Marella...

I was caught up in the Kennedy hype when he came in. He was obnoxious and I thought it was funny. I never really rooted for him to be a world champion but I definitely thought he was well suited to be Intercontinental or United States champion as a singles wrestler or a tag champion with someone like MVP.
It did seem like the WWE definitely gave him a pretty good push and got behind him. And if the dirt sheets were accurate then he was slated to be revealed as Vince's "son" which probably would have led to a major push.
I can't say I miss him in WWE though and the whole "Asshole" thing in TNA felt like they were trying to be too edgy. My roommate at the time didn't really care for him in WWE because he felt like he was trying to hard to be like The Rock but wasn't on the same level with his mic skills.
sendpm.gif
Old 09-07-2013, 02:33 AM

AJ1981 is looking to come up from OCW...

To me Mr. Kennedy has been given every chance to succeed in wrestling but hasn't. In WWE they gave him shots a World titles, the MITB briefcase, would have been Vince's illegitimate son had he not got suspended and high level singles feuds with The Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Ric Flair & Batista. In TNA he's feuded with most of the top guys and had a World title run. Like others have said Kennedy/Anderson is only a basic in ring performer but had Rock level mic skills when he first started. I've always thought that due to his injuries and suspensions he seemed to lose interest and didn't seem to develop himself as a wrestler and developed an attitude that he was being held back. I get the impression that WWE management got frustrated with his lack of development and injuries/attitude and he didn't seem to undertstand why Randy Orton was so upset when he nailed him with a high back suplex when told not to because of Orton's shoulder problems that led to him being released from WWE. If Kennedy wants to know why he didn't get the opportunities he wanted he needs to look in the mirror
sendpm.gif