WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 08-16-2013, 08:46 AM
ROH Pure Champion

rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Default What is TNA and Should I Watch it?

I am from the UK and have watched Wrestling for over 20 years, I have also been on this board for a short while but have never ventured into this territory.

I have never heard of TNA, I am not sure they show it in the UK but as a WWE fan should I start watching TNA?

I have done some research and seen that Hulk Hogan, Jeff Hardy and Kurt Angle are all involved who I know but have never heard of anyone else. Is it an independant company like Ring Of Honor (I only know this because WWE picks up all their best).

Also, how can TNA market themselves better here in the UK? It seems strange they are not known by a lot of Wrestling fans?

Thanks in advance.
sendpm.gif
Old 08-16-2013, 09:07 AM
SHUT IT OFF!
WWE Diva's Champion

Hugh G. Rection is looking to come up from OCW...Hugh G. Rection is looking to come up from OCW...Hugh G. Rection is looking to come up from OCW...Hugh G. Rection is looking to come up from OCW...Hugh G. Rection is looking to come up from OCW...Hugh G. Rection is looking to come up from OCW...

Wow, I find it hard to believe you have never heard of TNA... I'm from the UK too and all of my wrestling friends watch TNA or at least know of its existence. They do indeed show it in the UK it's on Challenge Sundays at 9pm. We also get Xplosion which is pretty much TNA's Heat/Superstars and that's on a Wednesday. We also get PPV's on a Wednesday but at the expense of being free they are obviously not live and chock full of adverts so it takes 4+ hours to watch them.

Now should you watch TNA? I think you should, while it has gone downhill recently in my opinion, you still get good to great matches and moments. They have a very talented roster. Storylines can be hit and miss...

Now as for marketing I don't think TNA can do much else, since Sky owns Challenge and Sky has an exclusive deal thing with WWE which as you probably know is shown on Sky Sports. So TNA can't advertise on anywhere outside of Challenge. As far as I'm aware. TNA actually does do better ratings than WWE in the UK, but the reasons for this have been disputed before (Challenge is on Freeview as opposed to Sky Sports, Raw is in an awkward timeslot being live, etc.)

Although you do get wrestlers coming over to promote TNA from time to time, you had Hogan on Loose Women which was awkwardly hilarious when he was trying to explain the kayfabe concept to them, and Mickie James on Daybreak where she attempted her DDT on one of the hosts.
sendpm.gif
Old 08-16-2013, 09:25 AM

Dave_duncan is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rge2010
I am from the UK and have watched Wrestling for over 20 years, I have also been on this board for a short while but have never ventured into this territory.

I have never heard of TNA, I am not sure they show it in the UK but as a WWE fan should I start watching TNA?

I have done some research and seen that Hulk Hogan, Jeff Hardy and Kurt Angle are all involved who I know but have never heard of anyone else. Is it an independant company like Ring Of Honor (I only know this because WWE picks up all their best).

Also, how can TNA market themselves better here in the UK? It seems strange they are not known by a lot of Wrestling fans?

Thanks in advance.
I prefer it personally. Mainly because it is more extreme and trys to focus more on the wrestling. I mainly like it due to the x divison which although slightly limoted at the moment is exciting and you get omfg moments.

Posted from Wrestlezone.com App for Android
sendpm.gif
Old 08-16-2013, 09:48 AM
Thread Killer
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Danger Burger scored a win over Santino Marella...Danger Burger scored a win over Santino Marella...Danger Burger scored a win over Santino Marella...Danger Burger scored a win over Santino Marella...Danger Burger scored a win over Santino Marella...Danger Burger scored a win over Santino Marella...Danger Burger scored a win over Santino Marella...Danger Burger scored a win over Santino Marella...Danger Burger scored a win over Santino Marella...Danger Burger scored a win over Santino Marella...Danger Burger scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rge2010 View Post

Thanks in advance.
There are actually many more people watching TNA than WWE in the UK and Ireland by the virtue of Challenge TV being free and Sky Sports adding to your bill. They do a UK tour every year too which gets quite a lot of people going to them.

TNA is good, like the others said though it can be hit and miss. It has some fantastic talents, just struggles to keep its feet planted. One warning you should heed is that it will take a few episodes to feel any pull towards it. Imagine turning on a single episode of Cornation Street and judging it without knowing any of the stories or characters.

This Sunday would be an excellent time to watch if they are showing the Hardcore Justice Impact. It's pretty much a free PPV with title defences and gimick matches. Definately worth a look. It's also online if you don't want to wait. Let us know how you do.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:14 AM

BeastFromTheEast is looking to come up from OCW...BeastFromTheEast is looking to come up from OCW...

Please, die hard TNA fans, don't flame me for my opinion because this is not meant to be derogatory towards you. Feel free to watch and enjoy what you want. But.....

I would say no, it's not worth your time to watch or spend any extra money it would cost to get the channel it airs on, if you don't already have that channel. I have given it a fair chance but I think it is just terrible. Everything about it is second rate. I've seen story lines described as "hit or miss" but to me they are all miss. Interesting things rarely happen. When they start what seems to be a good story or feud it tends to be rushed and doesn't sell well. The announce team is terrible as well which makes it hard to watch with volume. TNA is all around not good in my opinion.
sendpm.gif
Old 08-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Thread Killer

Danger Burger scored a win over Santino Marella...Danger Burger scored a win over Santino Marella...Danger Burger scored a win over Santino Marella...Danger Burger scored a win over Santino Marella...Danger Burger scored a win over Santino Marella...Danger Burger scored a win over Santino Marella...Danger Burger scored a win over Santino Marella...Danger Burger scored a win over Santino Marella...Danger Burger scored a win over Santino Marella...Danger Burger scored a win over Santino Marella...Danger Burger scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastFromTheEast View Post
Please, die hard TNA fans, don't flame me for my opinion because this is not meant to be derogatory towards you. Feel free to watch and enjoy what you want. But.....
Ha, the first few times I read that I though you were telling TNA fans to go "die... hard"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastFromTheEast View Post
I would say no, it's not worth your time to watch or spend any extra money it would cost to get the channel it airs on, if you don't already have that channel. I have given it a fair chance but I think it is just terrible. Everything about it is second rate. I've seen story lines described as "hit or miss" but to me they are all miss. Interesting things rarely happen. When they start what seems to be a good story or feud it tends to be rushed and doesn't sell well. The announce team is terrible as well which makes it hard to watch with volume. TNA is all around not good in my opinion.
The channel is free in the UK as far as I know, and comes with most basic packages anyway.

The stories being rushed isn't truly the case anymore, we've got two that are a year in the making- AJ styles' road to recovary (a hit) and the Aces and Eights (mostly a miss, excepting Bully Rays work)

The commentary is my number one problem too. They don't even seem to realise they are watching wrestling.

Cheers for adding anyway, I'm sure the guy could do with more than some glad-happy yes men like myself. You're lucky flaming is against the rules, punk, or I'd be so far down your neck you'd be tasting my shampoo.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Kizzani

Kizzani is looking to come up from OCW...Kizzani is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Don't feel bad, they don't do enough unless you know where to look. Spike TV isn't a top end channel and Mexico doesn't get any TNA crap either. The Owners starting with Jarrett and moving to Dipshit Carter they never really knew about the business and have fallen wayside on bringing in fans.

Quote:
Unlike RoH who doesn't have a huge back Dipshit Carter has her daddy's money, he gave her money and set up a whole account based for TNA, Since her father knew it was a dumb idea, because she has no business sense and didn't want his big oil money getting sucked try by his horrible daughter. This had lead her to follow the JJ footsteps and instead of building stars ( what they almost tried to do with Aries,Guns, beer money and AJ ) they just play the role of scavenger and regurgitate the same characters WWE had. Everyone is pretty much the same, the story lines are weak at best ( less Ace and eights) they have no real gimmicks.
Where the WWE has gimmicks like Kane,Wyatts,Del Rio, Sandow etc. TNA just uses the persons name and no gimmick.
One thing TNA offers more than ANY other company is Flip flopping. Oh I should explain there was a long stretch that whoever won the world title they wold turn heel. It could have been a cool story as if the belt was cursed, but they never touched on that just kept switching people around I think Anderson has had about 5 heel and 4 face turns in his short time there.
If you like ONLY the wrestling with old guys then TNA is a good fit, if you like a little back story, some characters, a little something new....Avoid TNA. There are plenty of sites where you can watch the PPV's and show for free live if you choose. Personally I prefer this site, I can read about how boring the show was and avoid it spend my time combing my hair instead. If a good show pops up I can go watch it.

Quote:
Well that is a simple yes, Of course they could but since Dixie Carter doesn't really care about you people in the UK at all, why should she. I am sure she would love to have your money but since her head is so far up her ass I doubt she could find it. But all joking aside, I think the issue is she can't even make it work in her own country and there is no point moving outside of the US until she can start making enough money to pay the little bit of talent on the roster.
sendpm.gif
Old 08-16-2013, 11:23 AM

Wrestlefan27 is looking to come up from OCW...Wrestlefan27 is looking to come up from OCW...Wrestlefan27 is looking to come up from OCW...

TNA Impact is an alternative wrestling company to WWE. What distinguishes it from WWE are a few things:

1. It's much less formulaic. It's less predictable, but that can be a double edged sword, as at times plots become convoluted and non sensical. Not that it doesn't happen in WWE, but it seems more likely in TNA.

2. The matches have fantastic wrestling. Not all of them have great storytelling, but you're guaranteed to see spots that you haven't seen before. It's clever, it's creative, and it's exciting. Most of all, it's fresh.

3. The Knockouts division- though not as diverse as it used to be, it is still very good. Many of the matches are on par with the men. The Knockout ladies go out there like they have somehting to prove every time and they put on great matches with bumps that look realistic enough to believe. They also get a bigger focus from the writers than the Divas do, so they churn out some good stories from time to time.

4.X division- much like WCW's cruiserweights in the 90's, you are guaranteed to say "holy ****!!" at least once per match. Good technical wrestling, fast paced action with some amazing spots.

I have watched TNA since 2008 and it has its highs and lows just like WWE, but overall, I think it's a great wrestling company that offers something different from WWE. There are very few stars in the WWE or TNA that I can get behind, as a 32 year old fan who has seen it all through the years. It's the in ring action that captures my interest and TNA is not lacking.
sendpm.gif
Old 08-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Former WCW TV Champion

Magic Mark is looking to come up from OCW...Magic Mark is looking to come up from OCW...

Though TNA isn't the best wrestling company out there, it is definitely worth the time. Hope you enjoyed 1999-2001 WCW though, because that's pretty much what it is.

TNA is a National company, while WWE is a global company, so I can see why you may have not heard of them, especially considering the fact that you haven't watched wrestling in 20 years. Damn dude, you really did miss out on a lot. The Attitude Era, Monday Night Wars, Ruthless Aggression, etc.
sendpm.gif
Old 08-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Mark View Post
Though TNA isn't the best wrestling company out there, it is definitely worth the time. Hope you enjoyed 1999-2001 WCW though, because that's pretty much what it is.

TNA is a National company, while WWE is a global company, so I can see why you may have not heard of them, especially considering the fact that you haven't watched wrestling in 20 years. Damn dude, you really did miss out on a lot. The Attitude Era, Monday Night Wars, Ruthless Aggression, etc.
He said he HAS watched wrestling for twenty years.

And TNA does a UK tour every year, as well as live tapings there for a few weeks too. They actually garner a higher viewership than WWE in the UK and Ireland because they are on free TV here.