WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 02-10-2013, 03:27 AM
A REAL American
WWE Women's Champion

CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Default Is Alberto Del Rio the new Eddie Guerrero?

We were due for this thread ever since the WWE has been looking for the next hispanic superstar to be the next top draw.

And they have chosen Alberto Del Rio as their new top WWE superstar of latin descent. Smackdown has a large hispanic demographic as we all know. But does race really play a part in who watch's WWE Smackdown little alone any WWE show? Post the brand-split Alberto Del Rio is the top superstar on the Smackdown brand. Kind of like another wrestler of latin decent, the late great Eddie Guerrero.

From 2004 to his death "latino heat" Eddie Guerrero was a top name not only on the Smackdown brand but in the WWE period. He passed away on top of his legendary wrestling career spanning over twenty years at that time. Both Eddie Guerrero and Alberto Del Rio are second-generation wrestling stars from two legendary wrestling families. But it looks if Alberto Del Rio has gotten the bigger push between the two in the WWE.

There is no comparing these two next generation stars don't get me wrong! But do you think that Alberto Del Rio is the new or next Eddie Guerrero? Because not just anybody can replace the late great latino legend, may he rest in peace.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-10-2013, 04:38 AM

Broski_of_the_week is looking to come up from OCW...

No hes not. Like you just said at the end of your post 'there is no comparing these two' but then you ask if ADR is the new or next Eddie?

In todays WWE, everybody has to be 'the new' somebody else, I think if this was honestly the only way Vince and co saw things then they may as well just show re-runs of the attitude era instead of filming hours upon hours of new material each week. In regard to ADR and Eddie, Yes ADR is from Mexico, Yes WWE like to have a marketable character from that region high up on the roster because of mexicos wrestling history, but no that doesnt mean that they are all the next eddie guerrero.

The only reason you seem to raise for saying that hes the new Eddie is because hes Latin and on Smackdown. I may be wrong here cause Im not from America or Mexico but isnt Smackdown proven to be the more watched WWE show in the Latin American communities? Pretty sure Ive seen that before, so this is why both big latin stars have been put on that show. Doesnt mean they are similar characters or wrestlers or anything apart from two mexicans from the same tv show.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:45 AM
Undertaker, If that is ur real name

TheBadGuy92 is looking to come up from OCW...

Heres my theory, When Eddie was on smackdown, smackdown was televised on local television. Most mexican families couldnt afford cable. So they were forced to watch only smackdown and you know a mexican will only root for another mexican. Now smackdown is on cable and Del Rio is having trouble getting over. Coincidence? I think not.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-10-2013, 08:05 AM
Riley Justin

mrfantastic111 is looking to come up from OCW...mrfantastic111 is looking to come up from OCW...

If you watched Raw and Smackdown this week you can tell that they're turning ADR into Eddie 2.0. He attacked Show in his hotel room comedically with a fire extinguisher, he was telling mexican food jokes etc, and then on Smackdown he stole the wheels from Shows tour bus and threw paint onto him. They're giving him a Mexican trouble maker gimmick. It's definitely not exactly the same as Eddie's gimmick, but they're trying to get as close as possible. Honestly I think that it works though, his new character changes have made his feud with Show really entertaining so far.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:13 AM

I hate Cena sold outI hate Cena sold outI hate Cena sold outI hate Cena sold out

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBadGuy92 View Post
Heres my theory, When Eddie was on smackdown, smackdown was televised on local television. Most mexican families couldnt afford cable. So they were forced to watch only smackdown and you know a mexican will only root for another mexican. Now smackdown is on cable and Del Rio is having trouble getting over. Coincidence? I think not.
The percentage of Mexican families with cable is roughly equal to that of white families with cable. So your theory is wrong.

There is potential for Albert The River's. I doubt he will surpass Eddie, but who knows. It is worth it to tune in to find out.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-10-2013, 08:16 AM
Smooth As A Prom Queen's Ass
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...

I liked Guerrero but I do believe that his greatness has been blown out of proportion. Whenever a wrestler from the 70s through the 00s passes away or whenever a modern wrestler is compared to any of those wrestlers, a lot of the IWC comes out of the woodwork to kiss the ass of the old school wrestler & scorn the comparison to the younger guy.

As I said, I was a fan of Eddie Guerrero but he was never really the big Latino draw that some have retroactively made him out to be. He was great to watch in the ring and his promos, sometimes, had their moments when he wasn't behaving like an outdated Mexican stereotype. Del Rio is someone that's had his moments as well. Most people would probably say that he's not as good as Guerrero. From an overall perspective, I don't believe he was, but Guerrero wasn't so far & above Del Rio in talent that a comparison is silly.

Does race play a role in television shows? Sure, to some degree. For instance, why do you think there's a network called BET, Black Entertainment Television, that caters almost entirely to black audiences? The network features movies starring black actors or actresses or the cast is predominantly black. They feature television shows in which the cast is mostly or entirely black, award ceremonies like the NAACP awards, etc. And, surprise surprise, BET has the largest demographic of black viewers of any other network on television. WWE has its television programs airing in Latin countries like Mexico, so it's natural for them to want to feature Mexican wrestlers in prominent places on the roster as a means of helping draw more Mexican viewers.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
sendpm.gif
Old 02-10-2013, 08:31 AM
Galloway's gal forever
NWA Champion

Mustang Sally is an Intercontinental Champion...Mustang Sally is an Intercontinental Champion...Mustang Sally is an Intercontinental Champion...Mustang Sally is an Intercontinental Champion...Mustang Sally is an Intercontinental Champion...Mustang Sally is an Intercontinental Champion...Mustang Sally is an Intercontinental Champion...Mustang Sally is an Intercontinental Champion...Mustang Sally is an Intercontinental Champion...Mustang Sally is an Intercontinental Champion...Mustang Sally is an Intercontinental Champion...

The only similarity between Alberto Del Rio and Eddie Guerrero is nationality. Outside that, Eddie displayed the same personal characteristics whether playing a good guy or bad guy. The "lie, cheat, steal" stuff transcended everything in his act. In fact, those three negatives made him more lovable as a face than a heel, which is quite a trick, when you think about it. When he morphed from bad to good, he didn't change his wrestling style one bit; it's just that he was cheered instead of booed, largely because he was matched against heels, rather than faces.

Del Rio changed personality overnight, an illogical occurrence if there ever was one. And, unlike Eddie, when ADR became a good guy, every-damn-thing about him changed, too......except his in-ring repertoire. He started treating everyone better; the fans, his tag team partners, Ricardo Rodriguez. Suddenly, ADR was a paragon of virtue.....and we never knew what in hell caused it.

I've enjoyed ADR's tenure in WWE, but in no way does it make him like Eddie Guerrero.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-10-2013, 09:15 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Kodo Sawaki is looking to come up from OCW...Kodo Sawaki is looking to come up from OCW...Kodo Sawaki is looking to come up from OCW...Kodo Sawaki is looking to come up from OCW...Kodo Sawaki is looking to come up from OCW...Kodo Sawaki is looking to come up from OCW...Kodo Sawaki is looking to come up from OCW...Kodo Sawaki is looking to come up from OCW...

I have been really impresed with Del Rios recent face work but he is not and would never be Eddie. Eddie had charisma, Del Rio couldnt go over with one of the most simple gimmick in wrestling(rich guy). He is in-ring good but he had chance after chance and still not get that over...

As for Spanish demographics, it is really important to WWE. If it isnt we wouldnt have Spanish announce table. So they always try to build some "latino" that would be draw.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-10-2013, 11:33 AM

Cvaldezjr04 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBadGuy92 View Post
Wow really? Mexicans can't afford cable? Are you an idiot! I bet more Mexicans can afford cable than white folk, the few who work and the millions of white people that depend on the government to feed them and pay their rent. We work for what we have I don't know where you got that stupid theory. I have a ton of Mexicans friends and family and they all have cable, cars newer than 2008, paying their own houses. So please elaborate on how we can't afford cable dipshˇt. Otherwise you're coming off as an unintelligent pissed off redneck.

So now to answer the OP. no, adr is not the next Eddie. He's the first adr and he's doing well.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Future Endeavored
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

lil bitch Kid is looking to come up from OCW...lil bitch Kid is looking to come up from OCW...

Ummmm, no. ADR will have to be around for a while before any comparison could be brought up.

Eddie's impact in wrestling is glamorized. He was a mid-card guy that got very weak push as champ. Face facts, they booked it so that it took Goldberg for him to beat Brock, and he rarely won clean. He was Honky Tonk Man with a better move set. People remember Eddie far more fondly than the reality was.

I don't think Eddie ever got a top bill match on PPV, and I don't think he deserved it even if he had. He made for a feel good story, yes. Him and Benoit hugging at the end of Mania was a great moment.

The potential for ADR, I believe, is much greater given the landscape of the E right now than Eddie's was.