WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 04-08-2013, 02:37 AM
A REAL American
WWE Women's Champion

CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Default What was missing from the invasion angle?

In 2001 WWF/E chairman bought out WCW and those who remained with WCW signed over with the WWF/E. When the WCW people were re-introduced in the new storyline they merged with the old ECW guys to form the alliance. For months the WWF/E guys feuded with the alliance on WWF/E TV. Us as life long wrestling fans at that time were in wrestling heaven at that time as we finally got a chance to see the "Monday Night Wars" fought on the same network! Just one problem, the key players from the WCW side didn't come over after WCW was bought out by Vince McMahon.

We didn't get a chance to see guys like Bill Goldberg, Scott Steiner, Sting, and the nWo until a year later (well maybe not Sting). We saw the Lance Storm's, the Mike Awesome's, the Chuck Palumbo's, and the Hugh Morrus's. Booker T, Diamond Dallas Page and Rob Van Dam were up there but that's about it.

But what or rather who else was missing from the invasion angle?

I would have to go with the backbone's of the old ECW & WCW: Benoit (injuried), Guerrero (released "at that time"), Malenko (retired), and Mysterio (working dark matches). Those guys are players who played a big role in both ECW & WCW. And if they were active in the WWF/E at that time during the invasion angle they could have played a huge role in the storyline feud. The road not traveled!

But in your own opinion's. What was missing from the invasion angle in 2001?
sendpm.gif
Old 04-08-2013, 02:44 AM
Turn down for butt
ECW TV Champion

Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...
Send a message via MSN to Noticeably F.A.T.

Those guys could have played a part in the angle, but only Benoit had reached the main event level in WCW, albeit briefly. They wouldn't have made it much better, those aren't the names you think of when you think of the WCW All-Stars. You needed Sting, nWo, Luger, Hogan, Flair, or Goldberg. DDP wasn't a bad get but they made him into a joke fairly quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlene's Disaster View Post
And we have the typical Cena complaint. Jeez, do you guys have the same guidelines about how to criticize John Cena? Do you follow a set of rules? Is it on Bleacher Report?

sendpm.gif
Old 04-08-2013, 02:53 AM
A REAL American
WWE Women's Champion

CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...CM Steel worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
Those guys could have played a part in the angle, but only Benoit had reached the main event level in WCW, albeit briefly. They wouldn't have made it much better, those aren't the names you think of when you think of the WCW All-Stars. You needed Sting, nWo, Luger, Hogan, Flair, or Goldberg. DDP wasn't a bad get but they made him into a joke fairly quickly.
Ric Flair debut was the night after the invasion angle storyline was over at Survivor Series 2001. Lex Luger wasn't re-signing with the WWF/E and was on bad terms with Vince McMahon. And like I said Sting didn't and most likely will never sign with the WWE Nate! So you shouldn't really have brought his name back up! The New World Order was meant to be after the invasion angle as they were their own army in general. And Hulk Hogan is/was a one man show anyways so he would have had to be brought in like how Flair was brought in.

Anymore "WCW All-Stars" Nate?
sendpm.gif
Old 04-08-2013, 03:04 AM
Turn down for butt
ECW TV Champion

Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...
Send a message via MSN to Noticeably F.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Swagger View Post
Ric Flair debut was the night after the invasion angle storyline was over at Survivor Series 2001. Lex Luger wasn't re-signing with the WWF/E and was on bad terms with Vince McMahon. And like I said Sting didn't and most likely will never sign with the WWE Nate! So you shouldn't really have brought his name back up! The New World Order was meant to be after the invasion angle as they were their own army in general. And Hulk Hogan is/was a one man show anyways so he would have had to be brought in like how Flair was brought in.

Anymore "WCW All-Stars" Nate?
You have to have some sort of mental deficiency. I was stating that nothing could have been done to resolve this angle short of bringing in some of the guys that I named. I realize that they were unable to get those guys at that time. I live in the future as well.

You asked if there was anything else missing, I'm saying no. Fucking idiot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlene's Disaster View Post
And we have the typical Cena complaint. Jeez, do you guys have the same guidelines about how to criticize John Cena? Do you follow a set of rules? Is it on Bleacher Report?

sendpm.gif
Old 04-08-2013, 03:19 AM
A REAL American
WWE Women's Champion

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
You have to have some sort of mental deficiency. I was stating that nothing could have been done to resolve this angle short of bringing in some of the guys that I named. I realize that they were unable to get those guys at that time. I live in the future as well.

You asked if there was anything else missing, I'm saying no. Fucking idiot.
I swear to God that you are filled with hate Nate! You say that I have a mental deficiency while you say that you live in the future? This is the old school section am I right dummy? And in wrestling you have to think outside of the box as well as in it. Those guys that I had mention on the post had history with both ECW & WCW. So they would have played a big factor. Your naming some sort of fantasy dream team in your hateful mind their Nate. I don't think that the WWE at that time could hold that much of the former WCW roster at that one time. There is something that's called a salary cap there Nate.

Think with your brain not your ass asshole!
sendpm.gif
Old 04-08-2013, 03:51 AM

shandy is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
I swear to God that you are filled with hate Nate! You say that I have a mental deficiency while you say that you live in the future? This is the old school section am I right dummy? And in wrestling you have to think outside of the box as well as in it. Those guys that I had mention on the post had history with both ECW & WCW. So they would have played a big factor. Your naming some sort of fantasy dream team in your hateful mind their Nate. I don't think that the WWE at that time could hold that much of the former WCW roster at that one time. There is something that's called a salary cap there Nate.

I'm siding with Nate on this one (apologies if you are retarded because I have read some of your posts on other threads)

You asked what could be done to make the angle better then have a go when he makes the only logical solution. It doesn't matter why it couldn't be done, the question was asking as a fan what would we have liked to see to make the angle a success.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-08-2013, 07:19 AM

dvddmm is looking to come up from OCW...

onethingithink was missing fro the invasion was Triple H.stephanie and shane, i dont think the wwe would have won.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

tvcolosi is looking to come up from OCW...tvcolosi is looking to come up from OCW...tvcolosi is looking to come up from OCW...tvcolosi is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:

To make it clear, the "I live in the future" line, I think he was referring to he knows what happened in that angle. Knowing what you know now, and didn't know then, makes your thoughts of the angle something different. Its not that they "couldn't get" Sting, Hogan, Nash, Steiner, Goldberg and so on. It's they were getting 7 figure contracts to sit at home for 8-16 months. they could have got $0.50 on the dollar to go back to work, or collect the entire amount sitting at home not taking bumps. Had WWE offered to pay them that much, a lot of those guys would have came. We know this because as soon as their guaranteed money ran up, they all went back to work, all with WWE with the exception of Sting (who shortly there after went to TNA).

What was missing, one of those guys and Eric Bishoff. DDP and Booker weren't big enough names to "invade". Put that group with Sting or Nash or Goldberg at the front I think we would have a much different opinion of this angle.

In this order..
1. Sting
2. Goldberg
3. Flair
4. Hogan
5. Nash
Old 04-08-2013, 09:52 AM

entertainer101 is looking to come up from OCW...

Ric Flair, Steiner Brothers, Goldberg, DDP actually being used the way he was in WCW rather than a stalker, Original NWO members.

The WCW roster was pretty much non existent, so it really wasn't what people were expecting.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-08-2013, 10:50 AM

AAPTSLTS is looking to come up from OCW...

The biggest names they did get, like Booker T and DDP, were largely wasted. In Vince's mind, WCW wrestlers were second rate, and that is why they were never booked to be a real threat. I'm not sure it would have been any better even with Sting, the nWo, and Goldberg. They might have been as poorly booked as every other WCW and ECW wrestler was. So I guess my answer would be competent booking was what was missing, and bigger names might have helped if Vince had allowed them to look like a legitimate threat.

Last edited by AAPTSLTS : 04-08-2013 at 10:52 AM.
sendpm.gif