WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 01-23-2013, 05:01 PM
Banned From Tire Commercials
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...
Default WWE.com's Top 20 WCW Matches

Oh just.....no.

Quote:
20. Sting vs. Diamond Dallas Page (Nitro, April 26, 1999)
19. Dean Malenko vs. Eddie Guerrero (Uncensored 1997)
18. Big Van Vader vs. Cactus Jack (Halloween Havoc 1993)
17. 3 Count vs. Jung Dragons (New Blood Rising 2000)
16. Diamond Dallas Page vs. "Macho Man" Randy Savage (Spring Stampede 1997)
15. Cactus Jack & Maxx Payne vs. Nasty Boys (Spring Stampede 1994)
14. Rey Mysterio vs. Dean Malenko (Great American Bash 1996)
13. Ric Flair vs. Hulk Hogan (Bash at the Beach 1994)
12. Steiner Brothers vs. Sting & Lex Luger (SuperBrawl 1991)
11. Ricky Steamboat vs. Rick Rude (Beach Blast 1992)
10. Brian Pillman vs. Jushin "Thunder" Liger (SuperBrawl II)
9. "Stunning" Steve Austin vs. Ricky Steamboat (Bash at the Beach 1994)
8. Sting's Squadron vs. Dangerous Alliance (WrestleWar 1992)
7. Ric Flair vs. Big Van Vader (Starrcade 1993)
6. Rey Mysterio vs. Ultimo Dragon (World War 3 1996)
5. Ric Flair vs. Sting (Clash of Champions XXVII).
4. Rey Mysterio vs. Eddie Guerrero (Halloween Havoc 1997)
3. Goldberg vs. Diamond Dallas Page (Halloween Havoc 1998)
2. Ric Flair vs. Sting (Great American Bash 1990)
1. Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat (Clash of the Champions VI in 1989)
1. I liked the Chi-Town Rumble match better than COTC 6.

2. The 1990 GAB match is MAYBE Sting vs. Flair's third best match if you're VERY generous.

3. No Sting vs. Vader (any of them would do).

4. No Magnum vs. Tully.

5. Mysterio vs. Guerrero had an argument to have been match of the year over HIAC and the I Quit match from Mania 13 but it's not even better than Goldberg vs. Page? No. No way.

This is one of the most questionable lists WWE.com has ever come up with and I have no idea how they think this is correct. Thoughts on the list? Remember: Simply listing matches is considered spam and will be penalized accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker
Yes
Quote:
I am
Quote:
in fact
Quote:
better than you.
sendpm.gif
Old 01-23-2013, 06:12 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...

Magnum TA never wrestled Tully Blanchard under the WCW banner. Depending on you want to date it, the earliest you could call WCW WCW was 1988 when Turner took over control from Crockett.

As to the Steamboat/Flair series, if you read the article they actually say it is a tie and they are picking all three instead of picking one.

I do agree with you that it is hard to believe that Vader v Sting didn't make the list.

Still, it's a fun list and if anyone wants to go catch some WCW matches to see what it was like that's a pretty good list. I was glad to see Maxx and Cactus vs The Nastys make that list as that was a really good match and can highlight that The Nastys were a really fun tag team.

I do think that Jung Dragons vs 3 Count is highly overrated and would have picked any number of cruiserweight contests over it, but it was, again, a fun match.

WCW has lots of underrated gems. Sting vs Meng throughout the 90s always produced a really good bout.
sendpm.gif
Old 01-23-2013, 06:24 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

theBusiness is looking to come up from OCW...theBusiness is looking to come up from OCW...theBusiness is looking to come up from OCW...theBusiness is looking to come up from OCW...

Ric Flair-Terry Funk I Quit match?

That's top 5 material IMO. Definitely the best I Quit match of all time.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:29 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

scomvp316 is looking to come up from OCW...scomvp316 is looking to come up from OCW...

-IMO Flair/Steamboat Chi-Town Rumble greatest match of all-time
-I am not sure if the following matches were under JCP but Windham/Sting and Windham/Rhodes were great matches when Windham was the US Champion
-Goldberg/DDP was a decent match but because of bad timing didn't WCW have to return millions of dollars to PPV customers because when the match started the PPV went off the air. Clearly that was the final nail that began the demise of WCW
sendpm.gif
Old 01-23-2013, 09:17 PM
WWE Women's Champion

shooter_mcgavin worked a dark match on ECW recently...shooter_mcgavin worked a dark match on ECW recently...shooter_mcgavin worked a dark match on ECW recently...shooter_mcgavin worked a dark match on ECW recently...shooter_mcgavin worked a dark match on ECW recently...shooter_mcgavin worked a dark match on ECW recently...shooter_mcgavin worked a dark match on ECW recently...shooter_mcgavin worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I know it's a taboo to say Chris Benoit but I thought his match with Bret Hart in the Owen Hart Tribute Match on Nitro deserves to be there. You could tell the match was an emotional one and these two really showcased the very best of their ability to salute Owen Hart. Yeah know even they don't even have to say Chris Benoit just call it the Owen Hart Tribute Match.
sendpm.gif
Old 01-23-2013, 09:40 PM

Ovaltine is looking to come up from OCW...

I am always amazed at just how much WWF/E puts over Sting. He is the one thing (the only thing perhaps) that WWF/E doesn't bash about WCW. As for the list itself- it's pretty good. All the matches that were on there were good, but like everyone else I am wondering why there are no Sting Vs Vader matches on there. Sting Vs Vader was always 5 star material.

Magnum Vs Tully was the NWA era. There is a difference.

WWF/E will never list Benoit on any list. I am amazed that he is still on heir list of World Champions.

Um... did someone seriously mention Goldberg in this thread? Um, Goldberg... really?

Last edited by Ovaltine : 01-23-2013 at 09:44 PM.
sendpm.gif
Old 01-23-2013, 10:47 PM

Albert T is looking to come up from OCW...

This list suffers from the same complication that comes about in all WWE lists: politics. There are too many great WCW matches that are missing from this list, a mistake made in an effort to cash in on the few names that today's WWE fanbase would recognize. WWE lists are made to create web traffic and nothing more. In fact, these questionable picks may very well have been made to precisely draw our ire in an effort to create the buzz necessary to make the column a hit. At the end of it all, we know what the best WCW matches were and who wrestled them and eventually, so will a large amount of the WWE exclusives who read it, because they will eventually explore the history of WCW on their own and make up their own mind.
sendpm.gif
Old 01-23-2013, 11:39 PM
Yaz ain't enough, I need Fluttershy
Knockout Champion

Dirty Dutch Oven is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirty Dutch Oven is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirty Dutch Oven is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirty Dutch Oven is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirty Dutch Oven is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirty Dutch Oven is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirty Dutch Oven is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirty Dutch Oven is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirty Dutch Oven is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirty Dutch Oven is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirty Dutch Oven is getting some looks on Smackdown...

This list doesn't have the six man at Bash at the Beach.

I want everyone to consider that for a second. Arguably the most important match in the history of WCW, the ignition to the NWO, and perhaps the Attitude Era.... And it isn't even here. I get where they're going, they mean "workrate" and bullshit like that. That match is the best match in the history of WCW.

I don't even have a haiku today. No haiku for this bullshit

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker View Post
there are occasions where violence against women is the right course of action.
sendpm.gif
Old 01-24-2013, 12:09 AM
Crossface Chickenwing
WWE Diva's Champion

SinCityBlitz is looking to come up from OCW...SinCityBlitz is looking to come up from OCW...SinCityBlitz is looking to come up from OCW...SinCityBlitz is looking to come up from OCW...SinCityBlitz is looking to come up from OCW...SinCityBlitz is looking to come up from OCW...SinCityBlitz is looking to come up from OCW...

I agree with whoever said the Flair vs Funk I quit match. GREAT match. I can't argue against Flair vs Steamboat because they were all great matches. I don't think Goldberg vs DDP belongs on that list. I can't think of one Goldberg match where he wrestled well enough to be top 10 on any greatest matches list.

I don't think it's a bad list, it's a list to piss some off while getting others to reminisce. It gets people talking which it seems to be doing. I don't have a problem with it because opinions are like assholes...you know the rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku Hogan View Post
This list doesn't have the six man at Bash at the Beach.

I want everyone to consider that for a second. Arguably the most important match in the history of WCW, the ignition to the NWO, and perhaps the Attitude Era.... And it isn't even here. I get where they're going, they mean "workrate" and bullshit like that. That match is the best match in the history of WCW.

I don't even have a haiku today. No haiku for this bullshit
Probably because that match sucked a dead mans balls. Yes it was important but this isn't the 20 most important matches in WCW history.
sendpm.gif
Old 01-24-2013, 12:18 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...

I have no problem with Goldberg vs DDP making the list. Were you a WCW fan when that match aired? That is one of the few matches that Goldberg ever had that was good. It even got praise from work rate fans. They busted their butts out their and put on a really physical match.
sendpm.gif