WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 11-28-2012, 07:42 AM
Knockout Champion

MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Default Are they really turning Cole heel again?

Is it just me, or did it seem like on Monday, they were starting to shift Michael Cole back towards being a heel commentator? Several times, he'd find ways to relate to the heels, which of course would incite some subtle mockery from Lawler. He wasn't over the top about it, but you could see he was on the heel side of the equation, and you didn't see him trying to relate to the faces in any way.

After Lawler's heart attack, is this a route they can really take again? After the way that Cole supported his friend Jerry Lawler so openly, and for so long on TV, can they really go back to the dynamic they had before the heart attack?

I think they really hit on something when Cole dropped the act and became himself, and it'll just be a huge mistake to go back to the same old, same old. Plus everyone's seen how much Cole cares for Jerry Lawler. You can't put that cat back in the bag. Having Lawler be anything but respectful when talking to Cole just makes him look like the douchebag, which is obviously not what you want to go for if you're doing a face/heel commentating team.

They need to drop this immediately, and not only just let Cole be the unbiased commentator he's been the last few months, but have Lawler respect that about Cole, even if he doesn't necessarily agree.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:55 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

JaylisJayP is looking to come up from OCW...JaylisJayP is looking to come up from OCW...

I think with Cole and Lawler (for better or worse) being the mouthpieces of the WWE, you kinda have to have both sides covered. Obviously, after the heart attack, there is a huge outpouring of support and attention on Lawler, and they've had him as the "voice of reason" to Cole's ultra-heel character in the past. So it's only natural that Lawler is the announcer face. Which means Cole plays the heel.

I don't think they'll take him anywhere near where he was a couple years ago, but if you go back a few years, Lawler was the "heel" to JR's "face" during much of the Attitude Era, even while he was slobbering over puppies every show. So they can do it without shoving it down our throats, but it makes sense. You have to get the heels over somehow, too. What better way then to have one of the announcers coming to their defense and rationalizing their actions?

Doesn't mean Cole has to go back to disrespecting Lawler. They can walk a fine line and just have them disagree and let Lawler make his highthearted jabs at Cole each week still.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-28-2012, 08:56 AM
Advertise Here $9.95/month
WCW TV Champion

George Steele's Barber is getting phone calls from TNA...George Steele's Barber is getting phone calls from TNA...George Steele's Barber is getting phone calls from TNA...George Steele's Barber is getting phone calls from TNA...George Steele's Barber is getting phone calls from TNA...George Steele's Barber is getting phone calls from TNA...George Steele's Barber is getting phone calls from TNA...George Steele's Barber is getting phone calls from TNA...George Steele's Barber is getting phone calls from TNA...George Steele's Barber is getting phone calls from TNA...George Steele's Barber is getting phone calls from TNA...

I had some of the same thoughts as you. I hope and think they are just making Cole the dissenting opinion of the audience (Lawler) and nothing beyond that. It would be taking these too far if Cole and Lawler agreed on everything.

Cole is still a little bit of a weasel but I don't think we'll be seeing the Cole Mine again any time soon.
GSB Stunning Observation #8675309 - I've never seen Paul Heyman and Paul Giammatti in the same room at the same time and neither have you.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-28-2012, 10:01 AM
AJ Lee calls me everynight!!
WCW TV Champion

Pedigree1 scored a win over Santino Marella...Pedigree1 scored a win over Santino Marella...Pedigree1 scored a win over Santino Marella...Pedigree1 scored a win over Santino Marella...Pedigree1 scored a win over Santino Marella...Pedigree1 scored a win over Santino Marella...Pedigree1 scored a win over Santino Marella...Pedigree1 scored a win over Santino Marella...Pedigree1 scored a win over Santino Marella...Pedigree1 scored a win over Santino Marella...Pedigree1 scored a win over Santino Marella...

I agree that Cole is a bit of a weasel but that what makes him entertaining. It be completely pointless if him and Lawler agreed on everything. I do miss the Cole Mine though i must say. But after what happened to Lawler,and the fact that cole embraced publicly his friend Jerry i dont think Cole will be a heel anytime soon.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Eyes will open

blindman is looking to come up from OCW...
Send a message via Skype™ to blindman

What they did last monday was fine Cole was just stirring the pot with the shield and admitting he liked a few heels. WWE wont make Cole like he was a few years ago cause no with ears wanna hear it.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:46 AM
ONLY $9.99 A MONTH!!
Ring of Honor Champion

justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...

Lawler has always mocked the people he's working with, he did it for years with JR, & has doen it for years with Cole. I don't think WWE has any intention of turning Cole into a heel announcer, so much as I think Lawler feels that he needs to mock somebody, he knows no other way to do his job than to mock his announcing partner, & he can't do that if he sees eye to eye with them. So one of them has to relate to heels, & you can't have that being the guy who just came back from a heart attack, so Cole gets stuck being the heel sympathizer again, though in a much more subtle manner. If WWE were really interested in fixing this issue, they would pair JBL & Cole up for RAW (which would be a much better announce team all around), & move Lawler over to SD! to work with Josh Matthews or whoever the fuck is calling SD! these days, & let Lawler mock them to the till he's blue in the face.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-28-2012, 10:52 AM

TheImpactPlayer is looking to come up from OCW...

Why can't they just turn Lawler heel? He was always so great at it. If they want a heel commentator so bad why not use the guy that has perfected it in the past instead of Michael Cole.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Believes in The Shield!
ROH Pure Champion

The S#cial Sector worked a dark match on ECW recently...The S#cial Sector worked a dark match on ECW recently...The S#cial Sector worked a dark match on ECW recently...The S#cial Sector worked a dark match on ECW recently...The S#cial Sector worked a dark match on ECW recently...The S#cial Sector worked a dark match on ECW recently...The S#cial Sector worked a dark match on ECW recently...The S#cial Sector worked a dark match on ECW recently...The S#cial Sector worked a dark match on ECW recently...The S#cial Sector worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Send a message via MSN to The S#cial Sector Send a message via Skype™ to The S#cial Sector

I think people are reading WAY too much into things here. Cole was simply giving a second look at things. Take the Shield interview, where he kept saying that he believed in their "We did what was in justice" method. He wasn't using that as a way to bash the group or even Lawler, he simply just said that as the journalist of the interview, he felt like they were being honest and that's pretty much all there was too it. He still doesn't find cheating wrestlers or a pack of thugs beating on Ryback to be the right thing to do, but at the same time, he continues to give people that reminder of two sides to every story.
Vote Hardy Boys for WZ Tag Team Tournament
sendpm.gif
Old 11-28-2012, 12:24 PM

thebromm is looking to come up from OCW...

It's my opinion as it stands right now that WWE is thanking Michael Cole for not only his work as a heel announcer, but also his willingness to do what he should have never done and thats step in the ring. Perhaps, they are also thanking him for his taking a backseat when Jerry had his heart attack.

I think that the way WWE is thanking him is allowing him to do what he has an actual college degree in, Journalism. Cole's journalistic approach to his recent interview segments like the one he had with Jerry Lawler and the one the other night with The Shield is evidence of that.

I think what the OP is misinterpreting is when Cole mentioned that he believed what The Shield members had said, and they were not working for CM Punk, he was still being Michael Cole the journalist and NOT Michael Cole the WWE announcer.

Kudos to WWE, The Shield, and Michael Cole for that interview segment. While it did very little to me personally to get interested in Seth Rollins or The Rock Junior, it did get me seriously interested and excited about the future of Dean Ambrose. That kid IS the next big thing.

*The Voice of the Voiceless*The Straight-Edge Savior*The Best in the WORLD*

CM PUNK!
sendpm.gif
Old 11-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Knockout Champion

MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...

If I'm wrong so be it. It wasn't just the Shield segment that I noticed though.

To me, it seems like they're doing a subtle slide back into heeldom for Cole, and slowly trying to sweep under the rug the outpouring of emotion from Cole towards his colleague in recent months.

No it wasn't a overt change... but I'm afraid that in the coming weeks, we're going to start seeing heel Cole creep in more and more, to the point that in a few months, they'll be right back to where they were before, and it'll just feel completely ingenuine.

Like I said. I hope I'm wrong.