WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 11-22-2012, 05:56 PM

The Voice is looking to come up from OCW...
Default You're the head writer - Help Antonio Cesaro!

((Quickly, I couldn't find a thread on him, if I missed it please merge and accept my apologies.))

Here we have a guy - real name Claudio Castagnoli - who has brilliant in-ring potential but is being fucked up by a shitty gimmick. Seriously, isn't this whole "anti-america" thing a bit old now?

Any wrestler who isn't American seems to - at some point or another - have to do this whole anti-America bullshit.

How would you book Cesaro?

Personally, I would have Cesaro as a guy who is not the strongest, but the smartest. Like taunting his opponent into hitting him with a chair so he retains on a DQ, or handcuffing his opponent to the ring post on the outside so he gets counted out.

Just my opinion, don't dwell on it if you hate it, so just give me your opinions good people.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Part Time Model, Full Time Legend

The_Vigilante is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Voice View Post
Seriously, isn't this whole "anti-america" thing a bit old now?

Any wrestler who isn't American seems to - at some point or another - have to do this whole anti-America bullshit.
Firstly, I disagree with this point ^ Not every foreign wrestler has had an anti-american gimmick. Has it been over used? Not in my opinion, I think it gets re-hashed every now and then, but it's the kind of gimmick that it easily freshened up and the majority of Americans are always going to give their hero in a nationality feud a big pop.

As for Cesaro, I would have liked to see him replace the U.S belt with a new European title, even if only temporarily and build up a decent feud with somebody (everyone keeps saying Jack Swagger but I personally don't like the guy) and have the american face win the feud and bring back the U.S title. They've already misses the opportunity to do that though, they would have had to have done it when he first won the strap.

I like your idea of having him cheat/get DQ'd/counted out to win matches, but there's no need to have him do that too much because he's a good athlete, I think the main problem is finding someone to work with him in a feud. Maybe they should have him drop the U.S title and have him go for the I.C belt, a good feud with Kofi could be the making of him. The only downside to that is that he's making the U.S title look good and I don't know what they'd do with the strap if he dropped it and moved on.

One thing is for sure, The guy has a lot of potential and in my opinion I can see him having a pretty good run in WWE, I'd even go so far to say that he could be main event material, but it's really still early days.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-22-2012, 07:26 PM

Steve-O-Matt is looking to come up from OCW...Steve-O-Matt is looking to come up from OCW...Steve-O-Matt is looking to come up from OCW...
Cool

I agree with you, the anti-American thing is so annoying, even if they haven't done it in a while, doesn't mean they should. As I live in the UK, I also find it so annoying that Europeans are all so bad and Americans are all so good... The whole 'USA' chant is so stupid, I also think it's quite ignorant. It's like they're holding themselves up on a pedestal and if you're not from America, you're below them, I've never liked that. And it also seems if you're not from North American and you're a face, you have to be goofy in some way, I don't like that, think about it. Santino, Yoshi, Regal when he was GM and had a picture of the queen in his office; do you remember the McCalisters? Rory and Robbie were entertaining, but I'd much rather people not bring up the fact they're from a different country at all.

There's nothing wrong with when they announce the participants of the match and they say "From bla'h bla'h", that's fine, I don't even mind when wrestlers go in the home country and say, "Hey, I'm home". But when Antonio is saying stuff like "An American can never beat me" and R-Truth is just chanting "USA!" I think they're both being asses.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Waiting for Halloween......
World Heavyweight Champion

The Shape is a Television Champion...The Shape is a Television Champion...The Shape is a Television Champion...The Shape is a Television Champion...The Shape is a Television Champion...The Shape is a Television Champion...The Shape is a Television Champion...The Shape is a Television Champion...The Shape is a Television Champion...The Shape is a Television Champion...The Shape is a Television Champion...

The anti-American heel gimmick has been used over and over again, but you have to face facts, it's an easy way to get heat, and get over as a heel. Just jump on the mic for a few minutes and run down America for being fat, lazy, and inept, while portraying the snobbish foreigner. You're almost guaranteed a chorus of boos, and a bunch of "USA!!!" or "you suck" chants.

I don't have a problem with Cesaro's current gimmick. The match with R-Truth at Survivor Series was dull. I mean really dull, and as far as uninteresting Survivor Series 2012 matches go, it gives the Kaitlyn/Eve match some serious competition, and that's saying something.

But overall, Cesaro has been a solid US Champion. I'm glad he finally got away from the using five words in different languages stuff with Aksana. It was good for a few chuckles at first, but it became pretty annoying really fast.

All in all, Cesaro is in a good place right now, and I don't see a real reason to change anything.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:05 PM

dotty_84 is looking to come up from OCW...

Help Antonio...i'd give him someone other than R-Truth someone who needs a title or is likely to go further Truth is past it, in my eyes. What else is there to offer he doesn't have anything that could benefit getting Cesaro over, i think there are bunch of younger guys who could do a better job, keep Truth to being low card or tag partner for the odd pairing tag team.

Justin Gabriel would be nice to see in this fued and drop the Euro v US stuff.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-22-2012, 09:12 PM

MTL722 is looking to come up from OCW...

I personally think Antonios current gimmick is just fine. The problem is not the gimmick, its the lack of competition and meaning behind his matches. The anti-america gimmick is a tried and true way for newcomers to garner heat. It works, why not keep using it?

In my opinion, Antonio has yet to have a match that matters in any way. Title defenses don't matter when the title is basically meaningless. I have no respect for that title anymore.

That being said, whats a way for Cesaro to have a meaningful match while also possibly giving meaning back to the US title? A feud with a face Jack Swagger. The All-American American vs the Anti-American US champion basically sells itself. If you can get the crowd behind the face, and in this case American fans are basically obligated to cheer Swagger, the heel is going to get serious heat

Cesaro is fine with the gimmick he has. He's an outstanding in-ring performer that could seriously help carry the mid-card. All he needs is a REASON for someone to watch him. Who cares about R-Truth vs Cesaro? Nobody, Why? Because nobody had a reason to
Old 11-22-2012, 10:01 PM
ONLY $9.99 A MONTH!!
Ring of Honor Champion

justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Voice View Post
Personally, I would have Cesaro as a guy who is not the strongest, but the smartest. Like taunting his opponent into hitting him with a chair so he retains on a DQ, or handcuffing his opponent to the ring post on the outside so he gets counted out.
How is getting yourself hit with a chair, so you can retain via DQ smart? If he wants to retain via DQ, he could be the guy dishing out the chair shots not begging for his opponent to dish them out on him. That's just dumb.

I have no issue with Cesaro's current gimmick, he's just starting out & since his debut they've already fixed most of the issues I had with him initially. Namely fixing the god awful music & getting rid of fucking Aksana, it's only a matter of time before they tweak his gimmick away from the Anti-American shit.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-23-2012, 12:26 AM

Albert T is looking to come up from OCW...

I would like to see them embrace his footballer roots more and have him be obbsessed with competition. Book Claudio/Antonio as an overly -aggressive jock rather than the passive sap he's slowly turned into. Have him headbutt planted fans to get heat rather than the rambling of anti-american rants. Make Antonio into someone so intense that you'll either think the world of his athletic abilities or be annoyed that his character has no time for levity. That's what I'd like them to try.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-23-2012, 01:55 AM
High Definition
WWE Diva's Champion

Mr. HD is looking to come up from OCW...Mr. HD is looking to come up from OCW...Mr. HD is looking to come up from OCW...Mr. HD is looking to come up from OCW...Mr. HD is looking to come up from OCW...Mr. HD is looking to come up from OCW...

I like the Anti-American gimmick he has. If nothing else, it gives him some personality and not just some guy who's carrying the United States Championship. He doesn't need to be Muhammad Hassan 2.0. Although I would LOVE that, it won't happen. If people find Punk & Heyman mocking Lawler's heart attack distasteful, they're not ready for another Anti-American character like Muhammad Hassan.

I may not say it, but I really like Cesaro and his in-ring ability. He really just needs that one feud to put him over. His program with Truth has potential. All they need is one nice promo segment with each other to give this feud some life. Sitting at the announce table during each other's matches just doesn't cut it for me.

Have Cesaro come out one night on RAW, give him a couple minutes to run down American and cue R-Truth. He comes out and says the usual, "It's time somebody shut you up." So on and so on and then have them go back and forth on the mic and see how good it can get.

The only person that can probably get a good feud out of Cesaro is Christian. When he comes back, I see a Christian/Cesaro feud being built right into WrestleMania. Christian can bring the best out of Cesaro.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:58 AM
WWF Hardcore Champion

Uncle Phatso is getting some looks on Smackdown...Uncle Phatso is getting some looks on Smackdown...Uncle Phatso is getting some looks on Smackdown...Uncle Phatso is getting some looks on Smackdown...Uncle Phatso is getting some looks on Smackdown...Uncle Phatso is getting some looks on Smackdown...Uncle Phatso is getting some looks on Smackdown...Uncle Phatso is getting some looks on Smackdown...Uncle Phatso is getting some looks on Smackdown...Uncle Phatso is getting some looks on Smackdown...Uncle Phatso is getting some looks on Smackdown...
Send a message via AIM to Uncle Phatso Send a message via MSN to Uncle Phatso Send a message via Yahoo to Uncle Phatso

Maybe make him a real heel? Talking shit will only get you so far, have him really do some heelish things, like when he won the title from Santino. So far he has done nothing for me heel wise, he plays the bad guy with wins over faces. But I never see him doing anything outside of talking crap, to make me hate him.

How to help AC? Make me hate him...