WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 12-11-2012, 07:36 AM

thesubverse is looking to come up from OCW...

Mr Perfect was inducted several years ago, guys (and for that matter, he listed LARRY Hennig, not Curt). The list is about people withOUT WWE experience, or very little, which makes Rick Rude, the Ultimate Warrior, Randy Savage, and Lex Luger not even part of this conversation.

Or is this turning into just another WWE Hall of Fame bitching thread?

Last edited by thesubverse : 12-11-2012 at 07:38 AM.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-11-2012, 08:33 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

MrMojoRisin is looking to come up from OCW...MrMojoRisin is looking to come up from OCW...MrMojoRisin is looking to come up from OCW...MrMojoRisin is looking to come up from OCW...MrMojoRisin is looking to come up from OCW...MrMojoRisin is looking to come up from OCW...MrMojoRisin is looking to come up from OCW...

First off. Awesome thread bro. I love this.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of others to add to your list, but if I do, I'll come back with them.

For now, I'd like to comment on the guys you did list:

Baron Von Raschke - I think he deserves it. He's in the Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame, so he has the credentials. Decent title resume (3 time WWA champ back when that was one of the more important territories). Great gimmick for it's time, and a good draw as a heel.

The Crusher - No question in my mind. 3 time AWA champ. 5 time AWA tag champ with the Bruiser. Should go in with his partner as a tag team, but equally deserving on his own. Already part of the PWHOF and WONHOF.

Larry Hennig - Tough call. He had a good career in his own right, forgetting that he became more famous later for his son, but he was really a mid card heel/tag team wrestler for the most part. Probably not HOF worthy on that basis... but maybe in a builders category?

Lou Thesz - I'm actually shocked he's not in. I can only assume that Lou turned down an invite, and maybe had something stipulated in his will? He was never much of a fan of the showier aspects of wrestling, and liked the athletic aspect of it the best. McMahon had great respect for him though, and in fact during the 80's boom, he brought Thesz on his old Tuesday Night Titans show once, and completely honored his history. That may not sound like a big deal, but this is at the same time he was trying to portray Harley Race as a newcomer.

Wahoo McDaniel - I would say yes just on the basis of his early 80's heel turn in Mid Atlantic. Simply one of the most logical heel turns ever. You hated him, but at the same time stood back and said "yeah I get where that guy's coming from". There's more to him than that though, and he's another no brainer. Already part of the PWHOF and WONHOF.

The Rock 'N' Roll Express - I say no. They had a few good years on top of a good territory yes, but that's really it. By the time they left Crockett in what was it, '88? They never really drew again. Morton was great at getting the shit kicked out of him. Gibson was good on the hot tag and had a great dropkick. But to me, they're really just a team who's gimmick only worked in one place for a short time, and benefited a lot from the other great workers and angles surrounding them.

The Midnight Express (whichever version) - I'd induct Condrey, Eaton, Lane and Cornette all together (fuck Randy Rose). The Midnights were one of the all time great teams and another no brainer.

The Fabulous Freebirds (include Jimmy Garvin) - exclude Jimmy Garvin (just not a fan of that bastardized WCW version of the Freebirds). Hayes, Gordy and Roberts were the Freebirds. Simple as that. I'd love to see them go in this year, and with the recent passing of Roberts, it's all the more timely that they do.

Magnum T.A. - I'd do it, but I could understand if they didn't. He had a great, brief career, that would have been so much better (ironically, I think if he hadn't have had the accident, he probably would have had his greatest success in the WWF). In the end he doesn't quite have the body of work, but he did more in the time he had than most do.

Ivan Koloff - Again surprised he isn't in already, but I guess the one reason would be because Bruno's not in. It's hard to show off his biggest achievement without shining a light on the fact that one of your greatest stars of all time refuses to enter your HOF.

Gene Anderson - No real opinion on him. I was never that familiar with his work, although I've only ever heard good things.

Ray Stevens - Kinda surprised he isn't there already with the Pat Patterson connection.

Gene Kiniski - A main eventer. Won the NWA, AWA and WWA titles. Part of the WONHOF and PWHOF. No brainer.

Stan Hansen - If he'd never found Japan, he would have been one of the biggest things ever in North America. As it was, we all got to see brief glimpses of his legend here, and that was enough. He absolutely deserves it... even if his best WWF work was breaking Bruno's neck.

Bruiser Brody
- Yeah he deserves to be in. Considering McMahon's always had a good working relationship with WWC, I doubt we'd ever see him in though. Maybe in 20 years when McMahon's passed on along with all the other old guys left that Brody undoubtedly pissed off when he was alive.

Dick the Bruiser - Go see what I said about the Crusher

"Dr. Death" Steve Williams - I loved Dr Death, but I'd have to say no. He had a great run in Watt's UWF, and did well for himself in Japan... but he always left me with the feeling that he should have done so much more with himself.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Squirrelbaby is looking to come up from OCW...Squirrelbaby is looking to come up from OCW...Squirrelbaby is looking to come up from OCW...

Great post.

Ok, I love your list and would love to see most of them inducted. Being a fan of cruiserweights and foreign superstars I would love this years HOF to be of an international flavour. I would have 5 inductees: Tito Santana (Big WWF guy and heard rumours of him being inducted) Jushin Liger, Mitsaharu Misawa, Ultimo Dragon and Vader. Sorry there is not a big name in there for wwe fans (I do not want Kevin Nash this year). I think that this could attract foreign appeal to the wwe
sendpm.gif
Old 12-11-2012, 06:51 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

MrMojoRisin is looking to come up from OCW...MrMojoRisin is looking to come up from OCW...MrMojoRisin is looking to come up from OCW...MrMojoRisin is looking to come up from OCW...MrMojoRisin is looking to come up from OCW...MrMojoRisin is looking to come up from OCW...MrMojoRisin is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelbaby View Post
Great post.

Ok, I love your list and would love to see most of them inducted. Being a fan of cruiserweights and foreign superstars I would love this years HOF to be of an international flavour. I would have 5 inductees: Tito Santana (Big WWF guy and heard rumours of him being inducted) Jushin Liger, Mitsaharu Misawa, Ultimo Dragon and Vader. Sorry there is not a big name in there for wwe fans (I do not want Kevin Nash this year). I think that this could attract foreign appeal to the wwe
Santana was inducted in 2004.

I could never see them doing an entire class like that, unless they happened to be holding Wrestlemania at the Egg Dome that year. Everyone you mentioned is worthy, but that actual class wouldn't make them any money... and after all, at the end of the day, that's what the HOF is all about for the WWE.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Down Where? Down Here!
WWF Hardcore Champion

Macho Machismo scored a win over Santino Marella...Macho Machismo scored a win over Santino Marella...Macho Machismo scored a win over Santino Marella...Macho Machismo scored a win over Santino Marella...Macho Machismo scored a win over Santino Marella...Macho Machismo scored a win over Santino Marella...Macho Machismo scored a win over Santino Marella...Macho Machismo scored a win over Santino Marella...Macho Machismo scored a win over Santino Marella...Macho Machismo scored a win over Santino Marella...Macho Machismo scored a win over Santino Marella...

I see a lot of great Japanese names mentioned in here but one name that I haven't seen mentioned yet is The Great Muta. Of all the names in Japan wrestling, he's probably the most well known in America. He's faced top names like Hulk Hogan, Sting, Ric Flair, and put on great matches with all of them, he's won WCW's Television & Tag Team Championships and the NWA World Heavyweight Championship, he brought in innovative moves like the Shining Wizard, the Muta Lock, the Dragon Screw and more, oh and The Peoples Elbow is a flashy version of Muta's Running Twisting Elbow. I could go on all day about what he has accomplished and contributed to professional wrestling.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-11-2012, 06:57 PM

tarp is looking to come up from OCW...tarp is looking to come up from OCW...

I agree great post, grew up with NWA, WCCW. My tops are Magnum TA, Freebirds minus Jimmy Garvin, pay respect to Buddy Roberts my least favorite of Freebirds but still an intergal part, both express tag teams, Brusier Brody, and Stan Hansen. Start with Freebirds.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-11-2012, 07:16 PM

PDepew2181 is looking to come up from OCW...PDepew2181 is looking to come up from OCW...PDepew2181 is looking to come up from OCW...PDepew2181 is looking to come up from OCW...

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it and like seeing other people's opinions. But, yea, this was about non-WWE guys, so I'm not sure why people didn't realize that unless they have reading comprehension failure. Sorry to sound like a dick saying that, but...it is what it is.

A lot of you mentioned Japanese wrestlers. I more or less intentionally avoided them due to not being overly familiar with many Japanese wrestlers. The ones that I have at least a passing knowledge of who, to me, would merit induction are Jushin Liger, The Great Muta, Masahiro Chono, and Genichiro Tenryu, who made a few WWF appearances in the early 90's. Hiro Matsuda was certainly a very respected and prominent trainer, but I know little of his wrestling career. I guess Carlos Colon is another name that I neglected, but I've felt the Bruiser Brody situation has probably kept them from considering him. That's probably a good reason, too.

Someone mentioned that Vince only inducted guys like this in order to get his hands on their video libraries. I can understand that argument. But they released the WCCW DVD prior to the induction of the Von Erichs, though obviously promises might have been made. But they've inducted Mad Dog Vachon, Gorgeous George, Antonio Inoki, Bob Armstrong, Abdullah the Butcher and Mil Mascaras since that time, so I do think that Vince is trying to give his due to these guys. Maybe that's Triple H's influence?
sendpm.gif
Old 12-11-2012, 07:25 PM

wrestling fan 666 is looking to come up from OCW...

Every time this subject comes up, the same names come to mind. Bruiser Brody: the man was a legend in the sport. In his day, his popularity rivaled Andres. Rick Rude: The man was the quintessential heel and he made people like Ultimate Warrior look good in the ring. Backlund and Sammartino SO deserve to be in and it is embarrassing that the 2 longest reigning title holders in the WWF are not in. The Rock and Roll express: these guys should be in for they proved that size doesn't matter going against teams like the Road Warriors and the Horsemen. Randy Savage: his family is holding him back from being in for they don't want Lanny and Angelo Poffo in (it is an all or nothing deal).

Just to throw a curve ball in: for those old school folks-Ray Stevens: the man not only was a great worker, he helped train a lot of future stars.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-11-2012, 08:52 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Da Solo is looking to come up from OCW...Da Solo is looking to come up from OCW...Da Solo is looking to come up from OCW...Da Solo is looking to come up from OCW...Da Solo is looking to come up from OCW...
Send a message via AIM to Da Solo

Sorry, I'm still one of the die-hards hoping they find a way to weasel Sting in there somewhere. Someday...

Anyway, out of your list, most likely Lou Thesz should get the nod, and its kind of surprising he hasn't by now, unless he has beef with management like Warrior or something.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:00 PM

Wrestlefan73 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtroppe View Post
I think the guys most deserving to be in the HOF are Mr. Perfect, Rick Rude, Ultimate Warrior, Macho Man, Sting, and Lex Luger. These guys were all top guys and certainly contributed more to the biz than most.
Mr Perfect is already in. He was inducted in 2007 by Wade Boggs. His son, (Michael McGillicutty) came out wearing his dad's old Mr Perfect jacket.
sendpm.gif