WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 12-10-2012, 03:09 PM

Moneyinc is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Favorite SNME moments

I've been kind of blown away recently by the amount of great matches that Saturday Night's Main Event produced.

I would have to say Macho Man vs Jake the Snake Roberts rivalry is one of my favorites.

I've been re-watching this story line between these two from 1992. Jake the Snake Roberts actually slapped Elizabeth. The match from SNME is a classic promo/match from Savage. Not only beats Jake the Snake 1, 2, 3, but then proceeds to hit him with an elbow drop from every corner while all the officials try to get him to stop. I've been watching a lot of WWF lately and this had me fired up more so than the other stuff I've been watching from the same era.

Another one that had me feeling like a kid was the Hulk Hogan and Sid Justice, vs Ric Flair and The Undertaker. Sid Justice really put his acting skills to use here. Even in the promo, you could sense Sid trying to show jealousy when Mooney didn't even let Sid talk on the mic. Then the match was just outstanding. Flair and Undertaker were actually working really well together as a tag team which was funny to watch. Hogan and Sid put on a tag team clinic for the first half of the match. It was awesome watching Sid. He was really putting on a show as far as the acting was concerned. Then of course, Sid eventually walks out on Hogan which I'm sure somehow lead to their match at Wrestlemania.

It is kind of interesting though because on the same episode of SNME, there is a press conference to announce who is the number 1 contender. It is hilarious because Macho Man, Sid, Hogan, Undertaker are all in the room, in costume, sitting at a press conference. Then Hogan gets announced, but of course Macho Man somehow ended up facing Flair at Wrestlemania, and Hogan faced Sid. Does anyone know the specifics to this?

What are some of your favorite SNME moments?

Last edited by Moneyinc : 12-10-2012 at 03:33 PM.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Totally Reeking of Awesomeness
X-Division Champion

HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...

Hogan coming to the ring to face the Big Boss Man and finiding Zues standing there blocking the door. As a young Hulkamanic I was almost scared for my hero. Here was a guy that looked like he could rip Hogan a part piece by piece. The other moment involes Hogan to, and that of course is the twin Hebner refs screwing Hogan out of the WWF title. THe Million Dollar man paid him off to count Hogan's shoulders down when Andre pinned him, and all that lead to the title being bought by The Million Dollar man, and the big tournament at Mania 4. It was unthinkable for Hogan to lose at that time, and even with the controversy I could not believe it. SNME had so many great moments. It is one of those shows that I miss from when I was a kid and was never quite the same when they tried to bring it back. Great thread.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

legendkiller1979 is looking to come up from OCW...

SNME was just incredible at the time. This was back at a time when pay per views were in the single digits and we didn't get a wrestlemania main event match every week. This was like getting a free pay per view.

There are so many moments that could be mentioned but I'm going to mention two. The first that comes to mind was Rowdy Roddy Piper's halloween special. If you have never seen this, it's on youtube. I laughed out loud when Roddy uttered the phrase as he was wrapping bricks to give to the kids. "if the bother me once, they don't bother me twice."
This is a great example of how times have changed. in 1985, people wanted to kill Piper.
Today he would be the most popular man in the sport.

The other moment was the the first televised steel cage match in many years when Hulk Hogan defended the WWF title against Paul Orndorff. The tie was just brilliant. I'm sure it wasn't even close to a tie but the WWF did a great job of camera work and people were genuinely concerned that that Hulk had lost the belt. What made this even better was heel referee Danny Davis awarding the match to Orndorff as Joey Marrella awarded the match to Hogan. Classic drama.

There were so many classic moments from this series and I look forward to seeing others' memories. I don't know why the E doesn't release a box set of the whole series. I know they had a best of but that's just not the same. Vince could make a lot of money with this one.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-10-2012, 04:42 PM
xavyer

xavyer is looking to come up from OCW...xavyer is looking to come up from OCW...xavyer is looking to come up from OCW...

I agree with the fact that this is a great thread, Saturday Night's Main Event has so many memories that is hard to choose, and one that i like is when Ricky the Dragon Steamboat was defending the IC title against Hercules just days after he defeated the Macho Man at Wrestlemania, Hercules had Steamboat in a full Nelson, he wasn't letting go and somehow the Macho Man got Steamboat disqualified so he wouldn't have to face Hercules, other moments that i like have to do with the British Bulldogs, when they were champions, there was one time that for me it was the first time that i witness a 2 out of 3 falls in the WWF, it was the Bulldogs against The Iron Sheik and Nicholai Volkoff, that was amazing, and another time when the Bulldogs lost the titles against the Hart Foundation, they had a rematch at SNME, and that was also a 2 out of 3 falls, the Bulldogs won 2 straight, but they didn't got the titles because the first fall they won by disqualification, and another memorable one was between Hulk Hogan vs Mr. Wonderfull inside a steelcage match, when they both left the cage and simultaniously landed on the floor, one referee raised hogan's arm and the other one raised Mr. Wonderfull's, and i remember the conrroversy after that, and there were many others also, i can go on for a long time, but i don't want to bore everyone, but once again, great thread......

Last edited by xavyer : 12-10-2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: wrong writting...
sendpm.gif
Old 12-10-2012, 05:08 PM

salopstick is looking to come up from OCW...

Hogan and warrior v hennig and genius

Great match and set up the WM6 ultimate challenge very nicely
sendpm.gif
Old 12-10-2012, 05:17 PM

fdogg83097 is looking to come up from OCW...

my favorite moment has to be Jake Roberts vs Ricky Steamboat. The dragon got on the ring apron only to be short armed clotheslined to the floor then Jake hit a DDT on the floor. Was just a awesome heat moment because the match didn't even get started. That will always stand out in my mind.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-10-2012, 05:24 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

EastCoastFan is looking to come up from OCW...EastCoastFan is looking to come up from OCW...EastCoastFan is looking to come up from OCW...

Where do I begin?

Off the top of my head, the first one that came to mind was when Curt Hennig smashed the WWF title belt with a hammer. I was very surprised that that didn't get him a televised title match at a PPV or the next SNME. Instead, it was relegated to the house shows where he regularly got beat by Hogan, but WWF never acknowledged it.

The meeting of the minds between Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage was also great. Savage had just become a face and was going against the Honky Tonk for the I-C title. Early on, Savage punched out Jimmy Hart, prompting the Hart Foundation to come down to ringside. They interfered and helped HTM gang up on Savage, holding him while HTM prepared to smash a guitar over his head. Elizabeth got it the middle and begged them to leave Savage alone - and HTM shoved her out of the way. While they went back to beating on Savage, Elizabeth went to the back and dragged Hulk Hogan out to help him. Once they had done away with Jimmy Hart's boys, Savage offered his hand to Hogan, planting the initial seed that would set up WWF main event scene for the next two years.

Speaking of HTM, another favorite with him came when Jake Roberts was facing Kamala in a match. Near the end of the match, Kim Chee interfered, incapacitating Jake just long enough for Kamala to splash him and get the win. After the match, Kim Chee took off his pith helmet, his jacket and his mask, revealing himself to be the Honky Tonk Man. He droppeda few elbows on Jake, then gave him a Shake, Rattle and Roll. When he took his jacket off, showing his sequined jumpsuit underneath, I remember Jesse Ventura saying, "What a snappy dresser Kim Chee is."

Saturday Night's Main Event was a great show for its time. Back when wrestling wasn't on prime time TV every week with PPV's every month, it was something special. They shouldn't have brought it back in 2006 - they didn't need it.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-10-2012, 06:26 PM

sdelfin is looking to come up from OCW...sdelfin is looking to come up from OCW...

SNME was great. The shows really felt like major events. One of my favorite moments was the very first meeting between the Intercontinental Champion Randy Savage and a still heel Jake Roberts. In 1986, heel vs. heel was extremely uncommon so this was new and refreshing. The show opened with great promos from both men, with Savage being humorously domineering asking for Elizabeth's opinion, only to tell her to shut up and to keep polishing his belt. They put on a great match for TV in 1986 that I still enjoy. It's a match that feels important thanks to the work by both men. That's something lacking these days. I wonder if this was a test run for turning Savage face. The crowd ended up overwhelmingly supporting Jake and chanted for the DDT as I recall.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Future Endeavored

lil bitch Kid is looking to come up from OCW...lil bitch Kid is looking to come up from OCW...

Wow, some great memories. I used to remember as a kid getting TV Guide as a kid and checking to see if SNL was pre-empted by SNME. I never figured out a rhyme or reason as a kid. Then when they added the prime time Main Event as the launching pad for Mania, it was cool. The most recent, last 5 editions have not had the same feel. Of course, the reason is that every week we get the 'big time' matches that were lacking back in the day. SNME was made special because we'd always get jobber matches on Superstars and didn't get Prime Time or Wrestling Challenge in Canada. we'd get a few weeks in a row where we'd get bigger matches on Superstars, but SNME was really special. It was always cool how SNME seemed seperate from the rest of the product in the 80's. There was a certain continuity from one to the next.

I loved the Jake vs Kamala match and remember very well Honky Kim Chee and Jesse's line.

One of my favorite all time matches was Savage vs Bret Hart. This took place the SNME after the infamous Elizabeth shove, guitar smash, Mega Powers union.

I loved the two match series between Hogan and Bundy where Bundy one the first by count out, and then Hogan got his heat back next time. The best scene was Bundy standing showing the ref how to count to five while Ventura was losing it on commentary that Bundy's foot was touching Hogan's and the ref should have been counting.

Who can forget Hogan and Andre in the battle royal? Or the sit downs with Bobby and Andre after Mania 3 where Bobby 'showed' how Andre got the 3 count?

For whoever was talking about Steamboat vs Hercules, the incident you're talking about wasn't on SNME, it was likely Wrestling Challenge. Steamboat beat Hercules clean on SNME.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:50 AM

Fansince1992 is looking to come up from OCW...Fansince1992 is looking to come up from OCW...Fansince1992 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Then Hogan gets announced, but of course Macho Man somehow ended up facing Flair at Wrestlemania, and Hogan faced Sid. Does anyone know the specifics to this?
I remember this press conference. Hogan was selected to face Flair for the WWF title at WM8. Sid was furious at the decision because he felt Hogan had robbed him of the WWF Title at the 1992 Royal Rumble. (Hogan had pulled Sid out of the ring at the Rumble after being eliminated by Sid) This started a fued between Sid and Hogan which was settled at WM8 as part of a Double Main-Event.

I think WWF made the decision to strip Hogan of the number 1 contendership because Sid was going on a rampage in WWF. I recall him destroying Brutus Beefcake's Barber Shop. He even threatened to smash Brutus's rebuilt face. (Brutus had to retire from Wrestling as his face was rebuilt after a boating accident of some sort) Hogan and Brutus were best friends so i guess Beefcake was sort of added to build up the fued for WM. (you can read about Brutus's - real name Tom Lister on his Wiki if interested)

Hogan also announced that this match with Sid at WM would be his last (was billed his Farewell match) I guess WWF didn't want Hogan going for the title again if he was planning on leaving after WM8. Obviously Hogan did return as early as WM9 where he faced Yokozuna if i remember.

I'm not sure but i think Randy Savage was selected as the number 1 contender for Flair's title, as he was the last to be eliminated (other than Sid and Hogan) from the 1992 Royal Rumble. Last 4 in that Rumble were Flair, Sid, Hogan and Savage.

Hope this answered your Question

Last edited by Fansince1992 : 12-11-2012 at 04:03 AM.
sendpm.gif