WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 05-13-2013, 01:29 PM
Ignatius Sandow Jr.

#IndyRules is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Should WWE do away with PPV's named after Gimmick matches ?

Ok, so I was recently thinking of WWE and it's PPV's maybe 4 or 5 years ago and you never had any PPV's named after matches well unless you count Royal Rumble. That's when the certain Gimmick matches could be used at any time to end any feud which added a certain spice to the rivalry. Since they brought in the likes of Elimination Chamber, HiaC, TLC and Extreme Rules i feel that the matches used in the titles can only be used at that certain PPV which is sad because i would have liked Ryback and Cena's feud to finish at Payback in a HiaC which would have been brilliant but it looks like those matches are designated for those events.

Anyway after that little tangent, my question is should WWE go back to the normal names like Armageddon or Vengeance or keep it the way it's going.

P.S. Sorry if i haven't titled it very well, this is my first thread

1. CM Punk 2. Dean Ambrose 3. Dolph Ziggler 4. Sting
5. Damien Sandow

Last edited by #IndyRules : 05-13-2013 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Forgot Something
sendpm.gif
Old 05-13-2013, 01:47 PM

undyinglylty is looking to come up from OCW...

i think that they should do away with the gimmick ppvs, except royal rumble, because to me, its a shame for the gimmick matches, like hell in a cell or tlc has to be a ppv, and not a rivalry. bring back the old ppvs, like no mercy, unforgiven, no way out, etc.
sendpm.gif
Old 05-13-2013, 02:50 PM
Smooth As A Prom Queen's Ass
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...

There was a report that circulated around various sites sometime last year, including WrestleZone, stating that Vince did indeed plan to do away with the gimmick themed ppvs as he felt that they'd simply gone as far as they were going to go.

However, they do still seem to be in full swing as of right now as Money in the Bank, Hell in a Cell and TLC are all listed for this year. There's been talk of doing away with Money in the Bank since before WrestleMania last year and returning the MITB match to WrestleMania itself. Wade Barrett was, allegedly, penciled in to win the match but his injury put him out for over 6 months, so the plans were scrapped and the MITB ppv was kept on the schedule.

If WWE wants to keep a gimmick ppv, personally, I'd rather they kept the Extreme Rules ppv. Extreme Rules doesn't revolve around any particular gimmick match like the other gimmick ppvs do. As a result, WWE could alternate which matches were used at he event. They could also, I suppose, combine the Night of Champions concept so that every title will be on the line that night in some form of gimmick match. For next year, for instance, they could have the first tag team Elimination Chamber or use the biggest gimmicks, such as the EC & TLC matches, to decide the WWE & World Heavyweight Championship matches. For 2015, perhaps they could alternate and use Hell in a Cell or Falls Count Anywhere for the two World titles, if there are still two World titles by then, and so on & so forth.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
sendpm.gif
Old 05-13-2013, 02:52 PM

c13vyper is looking to come up from OCW...

Definetly dropped the themed ppvs, they take away from the match. It gets a lil bland every year. HIAC and TLC matches should be used to end fueds, Elimination chamber and MITB could be used to boost PPV buys if your top tier talent is a bit thin or your part timers have gone away till the next wrestlemania payday.

I am in favor of 3 gimmick PPVs though, Royal Rumble, KOTR and Survivor Series IF DONE RIGHT. These should be used to either get talent thats ready for the main event into the main event, or should be used to build solid rivalries that can keep the audience interested long term. Last years Survivor Series was a joke, i honestly think the debuted Dean Ambrose just to keep the IWC from torching it.
sendpm.gif
Old 05-13-2013, 02:56 PM

thatotherguy is looking to come up from OCW...

Not necessarily.

Of course the Royal Rumble is a gimmick match, but I don't think you were referring to that. The Same goes for Survivor Series.

The Elimination Chamber match should have it's own PPV. Other than going back to the old name of "No Way Out" I have no problem with that PPV existing, and I think its perfectly placed for the WWE to make last minute adjustments. I think in the same way that the Royal Rumble Match works having a PPV dedicated to it, Money in the Bank has been very successful having its own PPV. And I may be in the minority here, but I think the Money in the Bank PPV has done better as its own entity. And while I'm technically opposed to having a PPV around the TLC concept, I have to admit that I look forward to the event every year at this point because they've been pretty consistently very good.

Really the one that causes the most annoyance for me is the Hell in a Cell PPV, only because the mystique of the Cell has been entirely destroyed. And thank God there is no more "Fatal Four Way" PPV.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:37 PM

Leveller is looking to come up from OCW...

Im up for dropping them. I loved buying the old VHS tapes and seeing things like Fully Loaded 2000, No Way Out, Armageddon, Backlash and St.Valentines Day Massacre. These were all pretty much big PPV's like they have history.

I think by having "gimmick" PPV's the WWE limit the match types they can have on the cards. It might make booking easier but it surely makes it more boring.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:42 PM

TheUnbelievableMind is looking to come up from OCW...

To me, the gimmick PPV's should only be for their majors, like the Royal Rumble or Survivor Series (Survivor Series Tag Match). They could move the money in the bank match to Summerslam if they really want it later in the year, but there's no need for an event name for it. I would like to see relevancy within the names but not full blown gimmicks. Something like Backlash being the first PPV after Wrestlemania. It was a great name, plus totally made sense as a name. I'd like to see them go back in that direction.
sendpm.gif
Old 05-13-2013, 05:49 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

LODemolition is looking to come up from OCW...LODemolition is looking to come up from OCW...LODemolition is looking to come up from OCW...LODemolition is looking to come up from OCW...LODemolition is looking to come up from OCW...LODemolition is looking to come up from OCW...

Absolutely. Their ppv lineup needs a huge makeover. Rumble, Mania, SummerSlam and Survivor Series are obviously keepers. I also don't mind MITB and Night of Champions. Other than that, the rest should be scrapped without question. I'd even prefer them bringing back some of the old WCW ppv names than keep the current lineup.

Oh, and King of the Ring should be brought back as the June event.
sendpm.gif
Old 05-13-2013, 06:06 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

LODemolition is looking to come up from OCW...LODemolition is looking to come up from OCW...LODemolition is looking to come up from OCW...LODemolition is looking to come up from OCW...LODemolition is looking to come up from OCW...LODemolition is looking to come up from OCW...

This will never happen, but this would be my ppv calendar:

late Jan: Royal Rumble
early April: WrestleMania
early June: King of the Ring (winner gets title shot at SS)
mid August: SummerSlam
late Oct: Halloween Havoc
mid Dec: Survivor Series

I'd move the MITB match back to Mania where it belongs. Or at the very least, have it at SummerSlam.

Also, I'd bring back Saturday Night's Main Event 2-3 times a year. Once between the Rumble and Mania, another in the early summer, and another in the fall.
sendpm.gif
Old 05-13-2013, 06:44 PM

JamesH is looking to come up from OCW...

I think it's only really TLC that needs to be done away with.

Money in the Bank is now an established event and one that fans look forward to every year, as is Extreme Rules.

Also, although I didn't like Hell In The Cell PPV to start with, the reduction to just one Cell match last year made it much more bearable. Granted, if there was a more interesting match than CM Punk vs Ryback as the main event, I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more.
sendpm.gif