WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 04-04-2015, 06:43 PM

Brockie Maivia is looking to come up from OCW...Brockie Maivia is looking to come up from OCW...Brockie Maivia is looking to come up from OCW...Brockie Maivia is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Your fave 5 matches of all time.

I'm always interest in reading other peoples opinions on wrestling. After all that's the beauty of these forums is that we get to debate and learn things about wrestling we perhaps didn't know.

What i'm interested in is your favourite 5 matches of all time.

Why is it your favourite?
Was it the feud?
A particular moment in the match?
Or just nostalgia?

Bare in mind this is entirely subjective to personal taste as i'm not asking for what you think is the greatest. What is some others favourite may be way down the bottom on you list so be kind people.

Chris Benoit Vs Kurt Angle; Royal Rumble 2003

This match featured 2 of the greatest pure wrestlers WWE had of all time. I remember been getting this PPV on vhs and being completely blown away by this match. There is one moment where one of the guys executes a german suplex onto the other and flips him to land face down. I don't remember seeing it before that and at the time i thought that was the shit.

For those that haven't had the pleasure of seeing this match here you are

Randy Orton Vs Undertaker; Wrestlemania 21

This is the first match where the emphasis was really on the streak. With Orton at the height of his legend killer gimmick he took some advice from HBK to 'go make an impact'. This was one of the first interpromotional matches WWE run during the rand extension and boy what a match. A moment that really stood out to me is when 'Taker went for the chokeslam and Orton reversed it into the RKO. One of the first RKOs outta nowhere.

Triple H Vs Steve Austin;3 Stages Of Hell; No Way Out 2001

I was 7 years old when this match happened and remember being excited to finish school all day to get home and watch the recording on my vhs. After being revealed as the mastermind behind Austin being run over this was such a fitting way to end the rivalry. For months these 2 guys were at eachothers throats at every opportunity screwing eachother out of the title. HHH even attacked and bloodied Austin as he entered the Royal Rumble. Also check out the contract signing for this match. Triple H was pure genius. These guys left everything they had in the ring. The ending with the chair sledgehammer shot when HHH collapsed on Austin was a fitting finale.

The Rock Vs The Undertaker Vs Kurt Angle; Vengeance 2002

After interfering in 'Takers match at King Of The Ring 2002 The Deaman was given a match against The Rock. This match became a triple threat when 'Taker and Kurt Angle fought to a draw during a title match on SmackDown! Some people say this was the greatest triple threat match of all time and they may well be right. When they start stealing eachothers finishing during the match I was like Holy Shit!

The Rock Vs Steve Austin; Wrestlemania X7

Anybody who follows wrestling knows about this match. If you do't check out the promo video which was the greatest ever. Then check out the match below. I get goosebumps every single time. This match was when both men were arguably at the height of the power. This was one of the rare moments when we got a face vs face 'Mania main event. Some people say this was the biggest match ever. Austin needed to win the title after returning and The Rock needed to prove he was the man. Paul Heyman summed it up perfectly when he said this was the match both men needed to win and neither man could afford to lose. While not a wrestling classic this match still delivered in a great way. The crowd was charged all the way through. Been a massive Rock fan I was pissed when Austin started wailing on him with the chair and in my mind he was already the bad guy for doing that even before he shook hands with the devil himself.

So that's my favourite 5 of all time. It could possibly be driven by nostalgia but oh well. There were some other Kurt Angle matches I could have put in there and it's a shame he probably won't be back in WWE. Also the match quality during the Ruthless Aggression was insane!

Honorable mentions to

The Rock Vs Mankind; I Quit; Royal Rumble 1999
Shawn Michaels Vs Kurt Angle; WrestleMania 21
Chris Benoit Vs Rhyno Vs Eddie Guerrero Vs Tajiri; Summerslam 2003
Kane Vs Shane Mcmahon; Ambulance Match; Survivor Series 2003

I look forward to reading your lists and thanks for taking the time to read mine. Hopefully you guys can open my eyes to some stuff I haven't see before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancake View Post
Find a girl you're interested in and pee on them. Establish dominance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate DaMac View Post
I enjoy peeing on people.

Last edited by Brockie Maivia : 04-04-2015 at 06:47 PM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:34 PM

Really? is looking to come up from OCW...

Hmmm, this one is tough. In no particular order:

Steamboat vs Flair: Chi Town Rumble: there is nothing I dislike about his match. It was the first in the three match serious of the time. While I did like the match where Flair won the strap back, this one was my favourite.

Steamboat vs Savage: an all time classic. As a kid I remember looking forward to Hogan vs Andre and being blown away by this.

Savage vs Bret Hart: Saturday night's Main Event: in the previous SNME, Hart was holding Savage when Honky waffled him. This led to Hogan coming down, and the next SNME, we got Savage vs Hart.

TLC @Mania: I'm all for a ridiculous spot feat and this is what we got.

HBK vs. Taker: TAKE YOUR PICK: look from the first time they worked after Michaels crowned Taker at Sumerslam, right up to their classic at Mania 26, these two were amazing together.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:43 AM

yourdamnluck is looking to come up from OCW...

1.Lesner vs angle @mania great match, great build, great chase for lesner
2.Rocky vs hogan mania need i say anything
3.HBK vs angle again mania always wanted to see this one
4.Rocky vs Austin II @mania
5.Rocky vs Austin III @mania
Those that almost made it to the list savage vs steamboat, punk vs jerico, Hbk vs bret Ironman, cena vs JBL IQM, HHH vs taker HIAC match.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:47 AM
WWF Hardcore Champion

Aquaman6686 is looking to come up from OCW...Aquaman6686 is looking to come up from OCW...Aquaman6686 is looking to come up from OCW...Aquaman6686 is looking to come up from OCW...Aquaman6686 is looking to come up from OCW...Aquaman6686 is looking to come up from OCW...Aquaman6686 is looking to come up from OCW...

My personal favorite 5:

5 - Vengeance 2002: The Undertaker (C) vs. The Rock vs. Kurt Angle in a Triple Threat Match for the Undisputed WWE Championship

4 - Royal Rumble 2015: Brock Lesnar (C) vs. John Cena vs. Seth Rollins in a Triple Threat Match for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship

3 - WrestleMania 19: Triple H (C) vs. Booker T for the World Heavyweight Championship

2 - Royal Rumble 2003: Kurt Angle (C) vs. Chris Benoit for the WWE Championship

1 - WrestleMania 29: The Undertaker vs. CM Punk
Old 04-05-2015, 06:02 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...

1. Bret Hart Vs British Bulldog SummerSlam 1992
Why is it your favourite? - The story telling, the atmosphere, the crowd (still the highest attended WWE event ever - including WM3 - but they never admit this).
Was it the feud? - it was more the technical side of the match - Bret lost but nobody remembers that - they remember the incredible match
A particular moment in the match? - the superplexs, the running powerslam, the subtle times they took it in turns to heel it up a bit.
Or just nostalgia? - this was just incredible.

2. Stone Cold Vs The Rock - WM 15, this was epic. It was not so much the bout but it is the memory of this being the height of the attitude era.

3. Kurt Angle Vs Shawn Michaels WM 21. This was so good because it was a dream match. The fact HBK tapped cleanly to Angle made HBK's return complete - he had finally arrived as the greatest in ring wwe star ever.

4. Undertaker Vs Shawn Michaels WM 25 - it was just as good as the retirement match at mania 26 but this was slightly more thrilling and kept you guessing if HBK could end the streak. It was a masterful match and showed why these two are two of the biggest WWE stars ever.

5. Bret Hart vs Stone Cold - WM13. Such a shame this was a poor WM overall - this match was one of the all time greats. It was a textbook example of how to win and still get your opponent over. Bret and Stone Cold took this to the limit and the finish was the most dramatic I have ever seen. I was 14 when I watched this match and the ending was terrific and gripping. This was the night stone cold started his path to superstardom.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:06 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...

Bret vs Bulldog Summerslam 92. Hands down the greatest match in history. The atmosphere had a lot to do with it. Loved the ic title in the 90s and awesome to see it close the show.

Austin vs Rock WMX7 the build to this was unreal. I couldn't see either losing. great match.

Shawn michaels vs Taker WM25 flawless match. my favorite taker match ever. HIAC in 97 is a close 2nd to this.

Shawn michaels vs Kurt angle. Technical master piece. Probably the two best athletes pro wrestling ever saw. I was waiting for this one since michaels returned.

Shawn Michaels vs Mankind. Mind games 96. Never been a huge fan of hardcore. But this match was done perfectly. Very innovative for the WWF at that time period.

Honorable mentions that sometimes get forgotten:
Bret and Owen vs the steiners wrestle fest 94
Michaels and Austin vs Bulldog and Owen raw 97
Michaels vs JJ iyh2
Flag match raw97
Old 04-05-2015, 09:18 AM

Brockie Maivia is looking to come up from OCW...Brockie Maivia is looking to come up from OCW...Brockie Maivia is looking to come up from OCW...Brockie Maivia is looking to come up from OCW...

I see a lot of people have put Micaels vs Angle from 'Mania 21. I totally agree that was a great great match it almost mademy list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancake View Post
Find a girl you're interested in and pee on them. Establish dominance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate DaMac View Post
I enjoy peeing on people.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:19 PM

gmanversion1 is looking to come up from OCW...

All mine are just because of how great the matches were

#5. British Bulldog Davey Boy Smith d. Owen Hart: Monday Night Raw from Berlin Germany, European Title Tournament Final

#4. Kurt Angle d. Chris Benoit: WWE Title Match Royal Rumble 2003

#3. Ricky The Dragon Steamboat d. Macho Man Randy Savage: Intercontinental Title Match Wrestlemania 3

#2. John Morison d. Rey Mysterio: Intercontinental Title Match Smackdown (year ?)

#1. AJ Styles d. Kurt Angle: TNA World Title Match Impact (about 2 weeks after my #2, a few weeks before AJ turned heel)

It's amazing how my #1 match held up for 20+ years, and then got beat twice in like a 2 week period
Old 04-05-2015, 03:08 PM

World Class Mark is looking to come up from OCW...

In no particular order…

1) Flair vs. Steamboat (WrestleWar) -- Flair wins 6th championship. Really, though, any of Flair's matches from 1989 are fantastic (Funk & Steamboat, in particular).

2) Bret vs. Stone Cold (WrestleMania 13) -- Best WM match all-time. Double turn. Brilliant.

3. Savage vs. Steamboat (WrestleMania III) -- of course.

4. Freebirds vs. Von Erichs (any and all combinations) -- greatest feud of all-time.

5. HBK vs. Undertaker (1st Hell in a Cell in St. Louis)

HONORABLE MENTIONS:
** HBK/Razor 1st Ladder Match (WrestleMania X)
** The Chris Adams & Gino Hernandez vs. Kevin/Kerry Von Erich Feud
** any number of matches involving Dean Malenko or The Great Muta in their primes, because they were both simply perfect to watch (Malenko, to me, will always be the most underused wrestler ever)
** Any of the numerous Cruiserweight matches that opened WCW Monday Nitro in the 90s.
** Royal Rumble 1992 (Flair wins WWF Championship)
** Any of the other Bret/Austin matches
** War Games with the Four Horsemen

A recent favorite would be Brock vs. Seth vs. Cena (Royal Rumble 2015)

FAVES: Flair * Muta * Steamboat * Savage * HBK * Bret * Malenko
Angle * Rock * Funk * Horsemen * Freebirds * Dynamic Duo

NOW: *Bryan *Dean *Seth *Roode *Prince Puma
Old 04-05-2015, 04:06 PM

Double S is looking to come up from OCW...

No order, simply memory so I'll prob miss something:

Rock vs Austin mania 17, that sit down interview with JR., the my way video, it's perfect

Cena vs punk money in the bank: Chicago crowd help this go above the rest of their series,

Michaels vs taker: mania 25 obviously it's a masterclass

Jericho vs Benoit rumble 2001: I habent watched this since 2007 as I can't enjoy it, but it's the standard for ladder matches, best by far

Savage vs warrior mania 7, odd choice as I didn't watch till 2000, but they ran a feature on it on a show hosted by coach and trish in 2001, fell in love with the match on the spot