WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 03-30-2014, 02:51 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

renaissanceman2014 is a member of the JOB SQUAD
Default How good were the Steiner brothers in the ring and overall?

I was not even old enough in 2000 to understand what Kayfabe and storyline is, nor the thin line that divides them with reality. So practically I enjoyed and cheered and laughed without any scope for discernment or criticism, every time I saw The Rock, Kurt Angle, and such; leave aside being old enough in the 1990s. However, it's a big tragedy to not having witnessed the monday night wars while growing up, the awesome WCW product, etc.

As I'm discovering WCW ppvs from 1996 onwards, I also looked up Sting and his surfer gimmick and his feud with Cactus Jack and I stumble across the card of Beach Blast 1992. Needless to say, I'm so impressed with this card, in an era where the WWF had Duke the Dumpster and Koko B. Ware with his bird and what not.

Scotty Flamingo defeated Brian Pillman to win the WCW Light Heavyweight Championship (17:29)
Flamingo pinned Pillman.

Sting defeated Cactus Jack in a Falls Count Anywhere match (11:24)

Ricky Steamboat defeated Rick Rude 4-3 in an Iron Man Challenge (30:00)

Dustin Rhodes, Barry Windham and Nikita Koloff defeated The Dangerous Alliance (Arn Anderson, Steve Austin and Bobby Eaton) (with Paul E. Dangerously and Madusa) (with Ole Anderson as Special Guest Referee) by disqualification (15:32)

WCW World Tag Team Champions The Steiner Brothers (Rick and Scott) fought The Miracle Violence Connection (Terry Gordy and Steve Williams) to a time-limit draw (30:00)

It seems to me that the tag team match closed the show. Now, I've never ever watched a Steiner brothers match, and probably not even the legendary Road Warriors' matches, because the only tag teams I knew were Edge and Christian, Hardys, Acolytes and everything that happened beyond. But it makes me wonder, for a tag team closing a WCW ppv , and being such a big name in WCW during that time, wrestling 30-minute matches, How good were they? What style did they wrestle in? What are their greatest feuds and moments??
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:21 AM

resignedknight is looking to come up from OCW...

I think the tag titles closed the shows in 92 because of the really weird situation with the WCW world title and the NWA world title being separate after Flair left. I would love for somebody to explain to me why they kept them separate with the big gold belt on a Japanese guy for most of 92. It seems like the NWA was more heavily involved with the IWGP, so maybe it was their call (just a guess). I'd love more info.

Anyway, I think the WCW belt had much less prestige. So the Steiners were probably WCW's biggest draw at the time. And yea, they were awesome. They were really strong and athletic and did (at the time) completely crazy throws and suplexes, so I don't blame WCW for featuring them.

I kind of disagree about Beach Blast 92, though. I think it's pretty obvious they had a hard time recovering for that whole year after Flair left, and Bill Watts's stupid rules didn't help (which I guess is why Sting and Cactus's "hardcore" match wasn't for the title). I think the product was much better in 90 and 91 with Flair as champ and Sting and Luger holding down the upper midcard and jumping up from time to time, though Cactus started getting a serious push in 92, which was really cool.

Last edited by resignedknight : 03-30-2014 at 03:32 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:51 AM

Pearljamming72 is looking to come up from OCW...

Back in those days, the Steiner Brothers just completely dominated the tag team scene in WCW. They destroyed every heel team thrown their way, to the point where WCW started bringing in teams from Japan since there was nobody left for them to face. WCW even did a rare face vs. face for the tag titles with the Steiners vs. Luger and Sting at Superbrawl. When Gordy and Dr. Death arrived, they were given title shots for several months that ended in time limit draws and eventually won the titles. If I remember correctly, Rick and Scott then started single's careers by going after the TV title..To me the Steiner Brothers in their prime as a tag team were more dominant than the Road Warriors in theirs. Rick and Scott would come to the ring and just pound the living snot out of their opponents with various suplexes and clotheslines that looked like they could actually rip the guy's heads off. Rick would give his top rope bulldog and Scott would finish the carnage with a Frankensteiner. I still remember when they brought in this hyped japanese team of Hase & Sasaki, making it sound like they had a legitimate shot of winning the belts, only to see the Steiners beat these guys within an inch of their lives.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:44 AM

kwig2121 is looking to come up from OCW...

Tag Team wrestling back in those days told better stories and had tremendous workers in the ring. It's a shame the WWE has failed to really concentrate on the tag team division over the last 10 years so our younger fans really have an idea of what a great tag team is.

The Steiner s were a great tag team. In my opinion the 3rd best tag team of all time behind Tully Blanchard & Arn Anderson, and the greatest of all time the Road Warriors.

Rick and Scott were great technical wrestlers, who could mat wrestle. But once Scott "bulked" up, he became a genetic freak in the ring. Scottie's size added strength and power to the team with freaky athleticism. So the Steiner s could mat wrestle, go air borne, match you with feats of strength, practically do it all.

This made for amazing matches in contrast of style between the Steiner s vs the Horseman, or Harlem Heat, or Doom, or the Road Warriors, or even Sting & Luger.

Those were the real days of tag team wrestling ,and the Steiner s were one of the all-time best and a hot draw that was more than worthy of closing shows, like only the legendary Horseman or Road Warriors could do.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:05 AM
shining triangle

Gibby is looking to come up from OCW...Gibby is looking to come up from OCW...

Without a shadow of a doubt the best American tag team of the late 80s and early 90s. They could do it all, absolutely anything, smash mouth brawling, technical stuff, flying - and with such smoothness and apparent power. I've never been a fan Rick Steiner solo, and Scott isn't a favourite (though I recognise his contribution) either - but together, oh mama. My only problem as a kid growing up was that I didn't get their 'college jock' gimmick so they perhaps lacked an obvious character other than 'we're tough good guys'. Call me picky but I'd like a little more than that. Perhaps Scott found his gimmick too late in life.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:12 AM

CeramicDuck is looking to come up from OCW...

The Steiners were amazing in the early 90s. They were about as good as it gets for tag teams and an argument can always be made that they were the greatest of all time. Road Warriors are always at the top of everyones list, but those guys could never give a 30 minute 4 or 5 star match. For my money Steiners and Brainbusters are neck and neck for GOAT tagteam.

The contrast between Scott Steiner of the Steiner Brothers and Scott Steiner Big Poppa Pump is one of the more unique things in wrestling. I have never seen someones in ring ability decline so much so fast. Here is a guy who was nailing Frankensteiners all the time and was probably considered a top guy on the roster in the ring and he became a guy who botched almost every move of every match. Gotta attribute it to drugs or size or something, but Scott could have gone down in history as so much more than the big bad booty daddy.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:19 AM
Slightly Autistic
Undisputed WWE Champion

Location: Stoke-on-Trent (Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of)
Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...

The best tag team ever until about 1993 when they'd peaked. Rick clearly felt the same as he costed throughout the rest of his carrer and Scott put on so much muscle he had to adjust his style. Or maybe Scott put on all that muscle to hide the fact he had to change his style because he was getting older and his career had already started to take its toll.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:27 AM

renaissanceman2014 is a member of the JOB SQUAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeramicDuck View Post
The Steiners were amazing in the early 90s. They were about as good as it gets for tag teams and an argument can always be made that they were the greatest of all time. Road Warriors are always at the top of everyones list, but those guys could never give a 30 minute 4 or 5 star match. For my money Steiners and Brainbusters are neck and neck for GOAT tagteam.
All these nostalgia-filled reviews about this tag-team being awesome is making me want to at once watch all their great encounters, which I can't wait to. But, what's a GOAT tagteam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeramicDuck View Post
The contrast between Scott Steiner of the Steiner Brothers and Scott Steiner Big Poppa Pump is one of the more unique things in wrestling. I have never seen someones in ring ability decline so much so fast. Here is a guy who was nailing Frankensteiners all the time and was probably considered a top guy on the roster in the ring and he became a guy who botched almost every move of every match. Gotta attribute it to drugs or size or something, but Scott could have gone down in history as so much more than the big bad booty daddy.
I have perceived Scott Steiner as Big Poppa Pump was unlikeable in the WWE in 2003, and even more disliked recently after his drifting apart from TNA. However , I can't wait to see his earlier work but too little time, and too much to watch has been preventing it. Could you suggest a few good matches/feuds of Steiner brothers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
Without a shadow of a doubt the best American tag team of the late 80s and early 90s. They could do it all, absolutely anything, smash mouth brawling, technical stuff, flying - and with such smoothness and apparent power. I've never been a fan Rick Steiner solo, and Scott isn't a favourite (though I recognise his contribution) either - but together, oh mama. My only problem as a kid growing up was that I didn't get their 'college jock' gimmick so they perhaps lacked an obvious character other than 'we're tough good guys'. Call me picky but I'd like a little more than that. Perhaps Scott found his gimmick too late in life.
Thank you for your input! I have never really been a huge fan of Scott Steiner solo, and have practically never heard/seen a Rick Steiner promo but I know they both looked HUGE from little footage of them I have seen. And Scott actually became much bigger by 2000, if I'm not mistaken. To this day, I have no idea why his career in the WWE in 2003 bombed because he lost both matches to HHH, and wasn't featured in any ppvs until Unforgiven 2003 and then his tag-team with Test after which he was never seen again.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:25 AM

LBGetBack is looking to come up from OCW...

The Steiner Brothers are one of the greatest tag teams of all time. They were incredible in the late 80's and early 90's.

Scott Steiner back then was incredible. Very strong and athletic. The Scott Steiner of WCW with the blonde hair and steroid bulky look was like a completely different guy.

Rick was the tough guy who played his role.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:38 AM
The Evenflow Effect

CrucifiedRaven is looking to come up from OCW...CrucifiedRaven is looking to come up from OCW...CrucifiedRaven is looking to come up from OCW...

I loved the Steiner Brothers in the 90's. They were colourful, tough, had finesse. They fit the early 1990's perfectly. Kind of like The Hart Foundation, Scott was the agile one and Rick was the power, the pitbull. Which is funny when you think about Rick being the bigger one of the two. Scott as part of the Steiners was one of my favourite wrestlers. He even then had good enough size and was big enough to be a main eventer. He was the same size as Sting approximately. And he moved so well. He had the agility, and a very unique moveset for the time period. And he was pretty slick in his execution. One of the most underrated tag teams of all time, and I think it's because their singles pushes later may have overshadowed what they did as a team. For better or for worse.

Big Poppa Pump as a character was perfect for the attitude era and n.W.o. era in the late 90's. He was a pretty good talker. He had a few catch phrases that fans picked up on. And he was aggressive, both in the ring and on the mic. He had the attitude that fit the style. His size was also freakish. He made for a believable heel World Champion, especially if they could protect him in either shorter TV matches or gimmick brawler PPV matches.