WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 02-15-2015, 12:16 PM
#PUSHCESARO

YUGIOH123 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Favourite Match In WWE

Im just looking to know what you thought was the greatest match in. WWE/WWF/WCW history. For me it was HBK VS Undertaker. I remember watching that match live and I was intrigued form the beginning. I thought HBK was going to break the streak. Another one would be John Cena VS CM Punk. I know the match wasn't greatest of all time worthy, but it was a great match and the buildup was absolutely amazing.

Great Khali leaves
John Cena puts young talent over
Cm Punk Returns

Code:
GOJAYSGO
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:20 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Wrestlingaholic is looking to come up from OCW...Wrestlingaholic is looking to come up from OCW...Wrestlingaholic is looking to come up from OCW...

My vote goes to Undertaker v Shawn Michaels as well. 31 minutes of near perfection which saved a lacklustre Wrestlemania in Houston (though arguably killed the main event, hence the decision to put the rematch on last the following year.)

Not just the actual choreography of the match, not just that, perhaps for the first and last time people genuinely thought the streak may end (especially after HBK kicked out of a second tombstone), but the facial expressions. 'Taker's eyes when Shawn kicked out - he looked genuinely shocked, despite being fully aware of what was coming.

Half an hour of winding back to an earlier era of actually believing, temporarily, that wrestling was real. THAT'S how good it was.

I've watched a LOT of wrestling from around the world. That match in Houston in 2009, which I was lucky enough to be in the crowd for, is my favourite match EVER.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:28 PM

mcfly2012 is looking to come up from OCW...

Nothing touches Bret v Austin Wrestlemania 13. The story leading up to it. The match itself. The ending. And the famous double turn which changed the wwf landscape at the time forever.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:29 PM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
Ring of Honor Champion

THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...

These threads are often loaded, cos your fave match will change over time.

For me I always come back to Davey Boy v Bret at Summerslam, partly cos I was 4th row and that even when we were close to beating Germany in a Euro 96 semi I have NEVER been part of a better atmosphere in that stadium... The match itself was more than a clinic, it was two guys at the peak of their powers (although Bret did try to throw Davey under the bus a bit in his book, he couldn't have been THAT messed up or it wouldn't have happend as it did) going out and having the best match of their era and arguably of all time, without the heavy practice that Savage and Steamboat had had, without the elaborate story build up... it was two best friends and comrades facing off for the title that was their pinnacle in front of a NON US wrestling crowd.

That is the thing people forget most about Summerslam 92 in general, it drew for a long time the 2nd highest EVER attendance at a WWE event, outside of it's native base. It wasn't topped for a very long time. Had Davey not been released in 92, and that feud gone to it's natural apex, for the title at Wrestlemania 10 then it's not inconceivable that event could have also been at Wembley and WWE been truly global, faster.

I won't go through the match blow by blow, that's what the network is for, but if you haven't watched it recently do so...it's worth it and it is so easy to see why NXT and guys like Balor and Neville could put on what they did this week... THAT match is their ideal.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:18 PM
WWE Women's Champion

Aquaman6686 is looking to come up from OCW...Aquaman6686 is looking to come up from OCW...Aquaman6686 is looking to come up from OCW...Aquaman6686 is looking to come up from OCW...Aquaman6686 is looking to come up from OCW...Aquaman6686 is looking to come up from OCW...Aquaman6686 is looking to come up from OCW...

My favorite match technically no longer exists. Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit for the WWE Championship from Royal Rumble 2003. Just an absolute masterpiece of technical wrestling. That's what wrestling is about to me.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:55 PM

The Warlord is looking to come up from OCW...The Warlord is looking to come up from OCW...The Warlord is looking to come up from OCW...

Very interesting topic, glad you posted it..

Im usually the one to go completely different...but how can you argue that Michaels/Taker wm25 isnt the greatest match ever???

I will throw one out there that is always overlooked, however.
That being the Eddie Guerrero/Edge no DQ match on Smackdown. Without a doubt the greatest match is Smackdown history...perhaps better than any Raw match...and would have easily stole the show at a Wrestlemania. If you dont think this match was great, go fuck ya self!
Old 02-15-2015, 09:57 PM

SmattyG is looking to come up from OCW...SmattyG is looking to come up from OCW...

As THTRobTaylor stated, one's favourite match can change over time. With probably a good 50 or so to choose from, I hereby submit three...

Savage V Steamboat at Wrestlemania III. The fact that it is still revered 28 years later speaks for itself.

Angle V Jericho V Benoit at Wrestlemania 2000. Both the Intercontinental and European belts, held by Angle, were on the line. Angle walked out beltless, despite not being pinned in either fall. A classic.

Daniel Bryan V Bray Wyatt at Royal Rumble 2014. Brutal. Bray at his (then) peak, and the storyline with DB being pressured to join the Wyatt Family was executed perfectly.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:06 PM
The Rock vs HBK can still happen...

AustinHartLesnarHBKTaz80 is a member of the JOB SQUAD

Bret Hart vs Steve Austin - Submission match - Wrestlemania 13.

I've seen this match a hundred times, and never gets old.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:10 PM
The new and improved Pippen.
Million Dollar Champion

Khalifa scored a win over Santino Marella...Khalifa scored a win over Santino Marella...Khalifa scored a win over Santino Marella...Khalifa scored a win over Santino Marella...Khalifa scored a win over Santino Marella...Khalifa scored a win over Santino Marella...Khalifa scored a win over Santino Marella...Khalifa scored a win over Santino Marella...Khalifa scored a win over Santino Marella...Khalifa scored a win over Santino Marella...Khalifa scored a win over Santino Marella...
Send a message via MSN to Khalifa

I hate to be one of these people but I would have to go with Jeff Hardy vs Undertaker in the ladder match on Raw in 2002. I was always a WCW guy so it was hard for me to get in WWE once they bought out WCW. I was young back then and just got into wrestling a year before WCW was shut down ( I only use to watch old PPVS so never saw the the 2001 era haha) and when I tried watching WWE I wasn't impressed mainly because I just couldn't get into it the characters. The hardy boys were the reason to change that and Jeff was my favourite of the two. I was real young so I didn't know how WWE went about it's business in terms of scripting wise. So why I always thought Jeff would get flogged, I genuinely thought he was going to win after he hit Taker with that chair. It is a great ladder match and will always be one of my favourites.

If I have to go without a gimmick it would be John Cena vs Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania 23. I'm not a real fan of just straight techinical wrestling so while watching Kurt Angle vs Eddie or matches like that were awesome, for me it's hard to stay entertained for the whole match. So this isn't the best of matches but it did put on one hell of a show. The match was so back and forth and I was/am a huge Shawn Michaels fan so it made it even better. I wasn't on the forums back then I believe so I never got like insight on who would win or whatever and it was good to see Michaels be so close in one hell of a match. I am still bitter about the fact that Cena could barely walk the last minutes of the match then all of a sudden he throws a STFU on Michaels! No just no

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker View Post
Pippen, if you were here I would take you out and buy you a ham sandwich for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthesouth View Post
Pippen rhymes with pimpin for a reason.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:20 PM

ComeOnVince is looking to come up from OCW...

As a child, Warrior v. Hogan at WM6, because that was as big as it got for the kid version of me. I remember having to wait until it came out on VHS to actually watch it.

What stands the test of time for me, though, is anytime Stone Cold & The Rock were in the ring together. For promos, run-ins, or matches. They put on some 5-star matches, and some of them were stinkers, but they were all hyper-entertaining. The question is about my "favorite"... That's it. SCSA v. The Rock.

Favorite match that never happened: the 3-way between SCSA, Rock, and HHH. I would still mark out for that match today, knowing full well it might be completely awful as a match. But guaranteed, it would blow the roof off of any stadium.