WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 11-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Sausage Farmers
Knockout Champion

ProWrestlingFan is looking to come up from OCW...ProWrestlingFan is looking to come up from OCW...ProWrestlingFan is looking to come up from OCW...ProWrestlingFan is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Favorite "The Rock" Character

Since becoming The Rock in 1997, The Rock has had many gimmicks.

Nation of Domination Rock :

As a member of Nation of Domination stable along with with Faarooq, D'Lo Brown and Kama and Mark Henry, Rock turned heel for the first time since debuting in WWF/WWE as Rocky Miavia in 1996. It was during this time when Rock stopped using the name Rocky Miavia and became The Rock.

The Corporate Champion :

The Rock turned heel again at Survivor Series 1998 after defeating Mankind to win the WWF Championship with the help of Vince McMahon. The Rock joined "The Corporation" stable and started referring himself as "The Corporate Champion". The Rock started cutting awesome promos. His fued with Steve Austin was filled with epic moments and promos. Fans still cheered Rock during his run as a heel though because of how entertaining he was on the mic.

The People's Champion :

After Backlash 1999 The Rock turned face again and started fueding with HHH, The Undertaker and Corporate Ministry. Later in 1999 The Rock formed a team with Mankind called "Rock 'n' Sock Connection" and won the Tag-Team Championship 3 times. Rock and Mankind together were comedy gold.The Rock then remained face till 2002 winning several WWF Championships and WCW Championship (WWE Version) in between.

The Hollywood Rock :

The Rock then returned to WWE in 2003 after taking a hiatus from Wrestling in 2002 in his Hollywood character as a heel. In my opinion this was the most entertaining version of The Rock.

The Rock :

The current version of Rock kind of resembles his Hollywood character but this time he is a face instead of a heel.

So which is your favorite persona of The Rock ?

Last edited by ProWrestlingFan : 11-23-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:15 PM

zhaff2004 is looking to come up from OCW...zhaff2004 is looking to come up from OCW...

The peoples champ was my favourite, will never forget his promos with Y2J, Austin, Hogan, HHH and Angle. Amazing stuff and he was doing this at the height of wrestling's popularity.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-23-2012, 04:21 PM
The Doctor Of Veganomics!!!
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

asiatic7 is looking to come up from OCW...asiatic7 is looking to come up from OCW...asiatic7 is looking to come up from OCW...asiatic7 is looking to come up from OCW...asiatic7 is looking to come up from OCW...asiatic7 is looking to come up from OCW...asiatic7 is looking to come up from OCW...

I thought the Rock was at his best around 98'- 99 when he left the NOD and became a singles star and eventually WWE champion. He was cutting great promos and really started to find his niche. Rock was good in all of the incarnations mentioned in the OP, but I liked when he was the heel "people's champion best.

Same goes for SCSA. He was best in 97 -mid 98.

Come back to us Daniel...
sendpm.gif
Old 11-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Down Where? Down Here!
Million Dollar Champion

Macho Machismo scored a win over Santino Marella...Macho Machismo scored a win over Santino Marella...Macho Machismo scored a win over Santino Marella...Macho Machismo scored a win over Santino Marella...Macho Machismo scored a win over Santino Marella...Macho Machismo scored a win over Santino Marella...Macho Machismo scored a win over Santino Marella...Macho Machismo scored a win over Santino Marella...Macho Machismo scored a win over Santino Marella...Macho Machismo scored a win over Santino Marella...Macho Machismo scored a win over Santino Marella...

Easily The Peoples Champion as he put on his greatest work ever with that character, from The Rock N' Sock Connection to his iconic feuds and matches with HHH, Austin, Undertaker, Y2J, Kurt Angle, Hollywood Hogan etc. to his hilarious promos in-ring & backstage with Michael Cole, Coach, Kevin Kelly & Lilian Garcia. He got over with his NOD & Corporate Champion characters but he became larger than life as The Peoples Champion.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

RJJ is looking to come up from OCW...

The corporate champion(98'-99') was by far my favourite. That was was Rock at his peak when it comes down to pure entertainment. He was so entertaining to a point where the fans couldn't resist anymore, they started cheering for him instead of booing him. I remember him getting the biggest pop of the show(Yes, even bigger than austin) the night after WM 15 even though he was still a heel. His mic work was fresh and gold. He used to come up with new material week in and week out. Till this day, I don't think anyone can hang with 99' Rock on the mic.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-23-2012, 05:00 PM

KingOfKings249 is looking to come up from OCW...

If you honestly think about it, there was never a real "character change" .. the Hollywood gimmick can be debated but besides that there was never a real change in character besides him going heel to face or vice versa

ex: when he went from heel (Coporate) to face (People's Champ) nothing really changed about his character
sendpm.gif
Old 11-23-2012, 08:02 PM
J-Crown Octuple Unified Champion
Knockout Champion

HBKistheHOF is looking to come up from OCW...HBKistheHOF is looking to come up from OCW...HBKistheHOF is looking to come up from OCW...HBKistheHOF is looking to come up from OCW...HBKistheHOF is looking to come up from OCW...HBKistheHOF is looking to come up from OCW...HBKistheHOF is looking to come up from OCW...

Well first off, you forgot "The Blue Chipper" Rocky Maivia.

Otherwise I would say the other persona or character changes were as follows...
- Nation of Domination/The Corporate Champion
- Holly-Rock
- "The Most Electrifying Man in Sports Entertainment" Dwayne Johnson

I think The Rock mostly changed characteristics in the different eras you described but he didn't actually change his persona or character that many times.

But EASILY, my favorite era for The Rock was as the "Hollywood Playboy".
Honestly, while I always saw talent & found entertainment in the Rock, I never cared for his character very much. His most entertaining period by far came when he played a very hyped version of what everyone perceived him as at the time, "that rich, a$$hole, playboy from hollywood". It was an extension of what people were really thinking at the time & he had what became my personal favorite match of his ever at Mania XIX with SCCA with that character.
3.)Roman Reigns
sendpm.gif
Old 11-23-2012, 08:53 PM

madnumber24 is looking to come up from OCW...

Hollywood Rock is the best one to me, he was funny as hell, I'll never forget those times he talked about the cities he was in by singing a song lol(especially Sacramento and Cleveland)
sendpm.gif
Old 11-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Booty Bandit

starkmoto is looking to come up from OCW...

Has to be Corporate Champion Rock, Deadly Games was the best non-wrestlemania wwf ppv of all time and what a way to start off a heel run!
Old 11-23-2012, 11:15 PM
WCW TV Champion

GameOver worked a dark match on ECW recently...GameOver worked a dark match on ECW recently...GameOver worked a dark match on ECW recently...GameOver worked a dark match on ECW recently...GameOver worked a dark match on ECW recently...GameOver worked a dark match on ECW recently...GameOver worked a dark match on ECW recently...GameOver worked a dark match on ECW recently...GameOver worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Corporate Peoples Champ - The end of THe People's Champ hands down
both of these characters he was masterfull on the mic, one liners and in ring he could go toe to toe with most people and very seldom did he back down from a challenge somethiing not alot of Heel's would normally do and certainly never a face.

as far as mic work goes (The People's Champ), his verbal bashing of everyone when he will go untouched for along time noone has really come close to that same comedy/coolness

The 2 incarnations after that grew stale on me, sure he was still funny but mostly it seemed forced and the most recent he was putting it on way too thick, which i guess was the point to make Cena look better which it did (until they faced each other that is) but verbally IMO Cena trumped Rock in that whole leadup Rock sounded like the whiny bitch..

final answer
Corportate Champ-People's Champ