WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News
Loading...


Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-07-2012, 06:33 AM
Jack-Hammer's Avatar
Jack-Hammer Jack-Hammer is offline
Smooth As A Prom Queen's Ass
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kentucky
Age: 34
Posts: 9,643
Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...
Default Devon is the *NEW* TNA Television Champion

Last night on IW, with some outside interference, Devon defeated Samoa Joe to become the TNA Television Champion for the 2nd time in his career.

When this match was announced last Thursday, you had to see this coming a mile off. The match itself was ok, nothing overly special, but it just never really felt like it got started. For me, I was too busy wondering when Doc was going to come out and how exactly he was going to cost Joe the match. The blonde bimbo in the Daisy Dukes jumping up onto the apron to distract the ref was a little unexpected but referee incompetence has become pretty standard in TNA, especially when it comes to anything involving women.

While I can't say that I'm exactly excited by Devon winning the title, I suppose, storyline wise, having a title does give Aces & Eights a certain degree of credibility that they may not have had before. In most of their actual matches against wrestlers, rather than "lawyers" or jumping someone from behind, they've come up short so, all in all, Devon probably needed the win more than Joe.
__________________
"What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."


Conan Of Cimmeria
sendpm.gif
  #2  
Old 12-07-2012, 07:28 AM
jrush1978 jrush1978 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 59
jrush1978 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

I dont really have a huge issue with Devon being champion, but not a big fan of how it went down. I'm always a mark for longer title reigns and Devon had a relatively long one in his prior (even though id ont believe he was ever pinned, dont watch TNA religiously so i could be wrong on that) reign. I thought that they might let Joe make the TV title his playtoy and have a long dominate reign, sadly such was not the case. IMO if they were going to put it right back on Devon they should have just let him have a massively long run with the belt originally.
sendpm.gif
  #3  
Old 12-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Spinebreaker Spinebreaker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 156
Spinebreaker is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

Shame. Joe was actually bringing some creddibility to the title. It was starting to mean something and gaining some prestige.
sendpm.gif
  #4  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:24 AM
King Patrick's Avatar
King Patrick King Patrick is offline
K. O. T. R. 2007 Ė Team Undisputed
ROH Pure Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Kingdom of NJ
Age: 35
Posts: 1,553
King Patrick scored a win over Santino Marella...King Patrick scored a win over Santino Marella...King Patrick scored a win over Santino Marella...King Patrick scored a win over Santino Marella...King Patrick scored a win over Santino Marella...King Patrick scored a win over Santino Marella...King Patrick scored a win over Santino Marella...King Patrick scored a win over Santino Marella...King Patrick scored a win over Santino Marella...King Patrick scored a win over Santino Marella...King Patrick scored a win over Santino Marella...
Default

Devon should never have been stripped of the Title to begin with. Donít get me wrong, Iím glad Samoa Joe held the Title, became the 3rd TNA Grand Slam Champion, and had a pretty damn great run with the Red Strap, but again, Devon should have never been stripped of the Title. He should have just worn his mask with the Title around his waist, with people speculating if that is in fact Devon or if a member of A&8 stole the TV Title from Devon.

Next SuperStar I want to see challenge Devon for the TV Title is Kurt Angle!!
__________________
I don't know if you know!! I don't know if you care!!

I don't care if you know!! I don't care if you care!!
sendpm.gif
  #5  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:28 AM
It's Damn Real!'s Avatar
It's Damn Real! It's Damn Real! is offline
Pain is the name of the game
NWA Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Age: 30
Posts: 4,178
It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinebreaker View Post
Shame. Joe was actually bringing some creddibility to the title. It was starting to mean something and gaining some prestige.
No, it wasn't. Titles gain "prestige" and "credibility" when they are defended in high profile feuds, not in random matches. Just because a title is seen, or even fought over, does not make it "credible" or "prestigious". Joe was a shit champion for the fact that he had one meaningful feud during his entire run as TV Champ, and that was with Magnus, and TNA dropped the ball hard on that whole feud left-and-right.

That's not to say Devon will make it any better, but his being champion serves the title a lot more purpose than it just being carried around by some angry Samoan who fights anyone. In fact, it's better suited this way, because now Joe can actually feud with Devon over it, and Aces and Eights — a story much more interesting than "Who is Joe going to fight this week?"
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne
The IWC aren't a real group, just an internal conglomoration of the people who say things you don't like.
sendpm.gif
  #6  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Dagger Dias's Avatar
Dagger Dias Dagger Dias is offline
One-Winged Warblade of Mystra
Undisputed WWE Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Texas
Age: 28
Posts: 6,853
Dagger Dias is being held back by Triple H...Dagger Dias is being held back by Triple H...Dagger Dias is being held back by Triple H...Dagger Dias is being held back by Triple H...Dagger Dias is being held back by Triple H...Dagger Dias is being held back by Triple H...Dagger Dias is being held back by Triple H...Dagger Dias is being held back by Triple H...Dagger Dias is being held back by Triple H...Dagger Dias is being held back by Triple H...Dagger Dias is being held back by Triple H...
Send a message via ICQ to Dagger Dias Send a message via AIM to Dagger Dias Send a message via MSN to Dagger Dias Send a message via Yahoo to Dagger Dias Send a message via Skype™ to Dagger Dias
Default

While I would rather have seen Joe's reign continue, I can see why they would make Devon win the title. Now a member of Aces & Eights holds a championship in TNA. He's certainly not someone I'd ever want to see holding a championship although with him having more credibility than someone like Doc it's better than Devon be the one in the stable to be holding the Television Championship. At least this time around him being champion makes sense. I hope it's a lot better than his last reign which was completely pointless.

I do think that Joe should have remained champion and gone through a long list of good feuds over the belt which would have helped raise its importance. It's obviously too late for that now. With the belt being part of the Aces & Eights storyline that can still be used somewhat to make it seem more important. If the other wrestlers make a big deal about how Aces & Eights hold one of the titles and how they have to win it back, it will make the belt appear to be more worthy of fighting for. They should have Devon retain against several wrestlers while building up someone to defeat him since that would give the person who defeats him a lot more momentum going into their own title reign.
__________________




"And that's the bottom line, because DAGGER DIAS said so!"
sendpm.gif
  #7  
Old 12-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Spinebreaker Spinebreaker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 156
Spinebreaker is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Damn Real! View Post
No, it wasn't. Titles gain "prestige" and "credibility" when they are defended in high profile feuds, not in random matches.
No. There are dozens upon dozens of myriad reasons that anything can be assigned prestige or credibility. Myself and the half dozen people I know in real life that are wrestling fans found joe a more realistic and more credible champion than Devon. I doubt sincerely that we are alone in this.

How is 'Who's joe facing this week' any different to what Devon was doing before he dropped the belt?

I think the TV title is a better title, with more reason for people to go for it that it had 4 months ago, I think that's ALL joe's doing.

I hate that they dropped the X title to Van Dam, but I can't deny he INSTANTLY made the title seem like something to be achieved, more worthy. Without Fueds, Without any high profile matches.
sendpm.gif
  #8  
Old 12-07-2012, 11:08 AM
It's Damn Real!'s Avatar
It's Damn Real! It's Damn Real! is offline
Pain is the name of the game
NWA Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Age: 30
Posts: 4,178
It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinebreaker View Post
No. There are dozens upon dozens of myriad reasons that anything can be assigned prestige or credibility. Myself and the half dozen people I know in real life that are wrestling fans found joe a more realistic and more credible champion than Devon. I doubt sincerely that we are alone in this.

How is 'Who's joe facing this week' any different to what Devon was doing before he dropped the belt?

I think the TV title is a better title, with more reason for people to go for it that it had 4 months ago, I think that's ALL joe's doing.

I hate that they dropped the X title to Van Dam, but I can't deny he INSTANTLY made the title seem like something to be achieved, more worthy. Without Fueds, Without any high profile matches.
It's not. I never said Devon was a good champion, son, read back. What I'm saying is that Devon as champion now serves multiple purposes, including giving Joe a reason to exist again, other than carrying a meaningless title to the ring each week cutting a promo against random opponents over nothing but the fact he was TV champ. The belt meant nothing with Devon, just as it meant nothing with Joe. It might mean something if the Aces and Eights storyline can heighten it's profile and Joe/Devon can feud over it for a while.

Again, rivalries are what make championships worth it, not just the fact that they are being fought over.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne
The IWC aren't a real group, just an internal conglomoration of the people who say things you don't like.
sendpm.gif
  #9  
Old 12-07-2012, 01:36 PM
Spinebreaker Spinebreaker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 156
Spinebreaker is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Damn Real! View Post
It's not. I never said Devon was a good champion, son, read back.
Never claimed you did, I asked how Joe's weekly matches against random opponents were any different to Devon's... You 'read back'. And calling people 'son' in an attempt to be patronising sounds REALLY weird when you're younger than the person you're talking to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Damn Real! View Post
Again, rivalries are what make championships worth it, not just the fact that they are being fought over.
I disagree. I realise I'm not going to change your mind. I believe that certain wrestlers attach credibility to titles simply because they are more credible talents. I believe that Joe's defenses of the title made him a more credible wrestler than Devon, ergo attached that to the title he held. Devon beat Robbie E and Robbie T every week for 3 months. Whooop!

To suggest that Joes matches were just as purposeless as Devon's defests of the Robbies, or fighting the AWESOME Garrett Bischoff to a stadstill is just asinine.
sendpm.gif
  #10  
Old 12-07-2012, 02:00 PM
It's Damn Real!'s Avatar
It's Damn Real! It's Damn Real! is offline
Pain is the name of the game
NWA Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Age: 30
Posts: 4,178
It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinebreaker View Post
Never claimed you did, I asked how Joe's weekly matches against random opponents were any different to Devon's... You 'read back'. And calling people 'son' in an attempt to be patronising sounds REALLY weird when you're younger than the person you're talking to.
I don't call people 'son' in an attempt to be patronizing, I say it in my every day life, same as guy, or champ. It's just a term of endearment.

As I noted just before this, neither Devon nor Joe's reigns were any different (or any good). They both did the exact same thing, week-after-week — randomly defended the title against Generic Challenger A, B or C with minor feuds dashed in the middle against Robbie E (Devon) and Magnus (Joe). They did absolutely nothing to make the belt credible or prestigious, because simply involving a title in a match does not in and of itself make it credible or prestigious. This is the plight the Legends title suffered from from it's inception. People care about titles in feuds when the feud calls for it, not simply because the title is there.

Quote:
I disagree. I realise I'm not going to change your mind. I believe that certain wrestlers attach credibility to titles simply because they are more credible talents. I believe that Joe's defenses of the title made him a more credible wrestler than Devon, ergo attached that to the title he held. Devon beat Robbie E and Robbie T every week for 3 months. Whooop!

To suggest that Joes matches were just as purposeless as Devon's defests of the Robbies, or fighting the AWESOME Garrett Bischoff to a stadstill is just asinine.
Think of the most famous and successful feuds in wrestling history — what is the common link among nearly every single one of them? I'll give you a hint — it's not the fact that a championship was involved. It boils down to convincing the viewing audience that the good guy was finally going to beat the shit out of the bad guy who's dastardly ways were finally going to face the judge and jury. Bret/Owen, Bret/Shawn, Hogan/Sting or more recently with stuff like Roode/Storm, Styles/Daniels, etc.

You believe that certain wrestlers attach credibility to titles simply because they are more credible talents. How does that make the title itself credible? If RVD makes the TV title credible, and RVD leaves TNA tomorrow, does the title retain it's credibility? Hell no, because again, it's not the wrestler that makes a title credible – it's the feud it's involved in.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne
The IWC aren't a real group, just an internal conglomoration of the people who say things you don't like.
sendpm.gif
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"
Contact Us - Clear Cookies - Lost Password - WrestleZone Forums - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Top - AdChoices

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
WrestleZone.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.