WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 02-01-2012, 10:23 PM
I Am The One Who Knocks
WCW TV Champion

Monkey_Mania is a Television Champion...Monkey_Mania is a Television Champion...Monkey_Mania is a Television Champion...Monkey_Mania is a Television Champion...Monkey_Mania is a Television Champion...Monkey_Mania is a Television Champion...Monkey_Mania is a Television Champion...Monkey_Mania is a Television Champion...Monkey_Mania is a Television Champion...Monkey_Mania is a Television Champion...Monkey_Mania is a Television Champion...
Send a message via MSN to Monkey_Mania
Default Why Do People Hate Michael Cole?

Serious question. I know people think he's destroying the product, and ruining wrestlers, but why? Bobby Heenan acted and did the same thing Cole is doing today. In fact I remember my Dad and his buddies talking about how much they hated Heenan at the time and wanted him gone, only to remember him fondly for the legend he is now.

In no way am I trying to compare them on awesome factors, Heenan wins. I just wonder if the same thing that happened with Heenan will happen with Cole when all is said and done with his career.

Last edited by Monkey_Mania : 02-01-2012 at 10:26 PM.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

AwesomeRko is looking to come up from OCW...AwesomeRko is looking to come up from OCW...

I actually like Michael Cole, I think hes a good heel commentator he does go a little off topic sometimes but thats essentially his character WWE have transformed him into a colour commentator yet still expect him to do the play by play.

I actually think much of the problem on Raw stems from King, to me he just doesn't look interested any more and lacks the enthusiasm which was his trademark in the attitude era.

I actually think him and josh mathews dovetail quite well on smackdown abetted a bit by Booker T but he's worth his seat for the hilarity factor alone.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-01-2012, 10:39 PM
Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
ROH Pure Champion

Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...
Send a message via MSN to Harthan

There's a couple of differences to me. One is that Heenan wasn't half so aggressive about it as is Cole. Heenan would deride faces for their heroic actions or whatever it was the crowd was cheering, but he rarely completely dressed them down at every level. Cole, meanwhile, has done that to guys like Daniel Bryan, for example. When Cole got on Bryan's case back in the day (he's toned it down somewhat) he was vehement about destroying any shred of credibility that Daniel Bryan had. But this wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the other factor - there's no one mitigating Cole's influence. Jerry Lawler's a pathetic excuse for a color commentator who can do no more but half heartedly mumble "Oh, come on Cole" and make fat jokes. Josh Matthews is spineless and if he's not doing straight play-by-play he has almost no idea what he's doing in the booth. Booker T is the best thing Cole has to a foil, but even he rarely counters Cole well. Michael Cole, if nothing else, is an excellent verbal debater and he completely dresses down his competition. Heenan was the same, but the difference was that he had Monsoon in the booth to take him to ask for it. Another factor is that Cole is the play by play man - he is, quite literally, the voice of the WWE. Heenan was just a heel who sat in the booth. It was Monsoon's job to call the action, to sell the product, to talk about advertisements and upcoming events and so on. Monsoon was the voice, not Heenan. What we have today is the voice of the WWE, the most dominant figure in commentary, shitting all over guys that are trying to get over. This is fundamentally different from what Heenan's role was, which was only to provide color commentary. The final thing is that Cole was never a wrestling character who had already garnered heat and the audience decidedly hated. Cole made a slow, subtle turn to the heel side. This is subtly different from Heenan. Heenan was a character that everyone hated. Cole isn't so much of a character, and because of his penetration into reality, his words have a different effect.

What it all boils down to is how heavily tipped the scales have become to Michael Cole's heel commentary. He dominates every aspect of the booth. He's more vehement than Heenan was, he gets more time to speak, he dominates his competition, he has the force of the play by play role, and he has more reality penetration. The net effect is that when Cole decides to tear something apart, he does so with remarkable success. And because no one ever takes real retribution on him (unlike Heenan, who was frequently taken to task in the ring) he can severely destroy someone's credibility with his actions. He definitely impeded the success of Daniel Bryan more than he helped him, and has done the same to others.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:12 PM

SFC is looking to come up from OCW...

One of the thing that makes Cole so unbearable in people's minds, in my belief, is that he is the heel play-by-play guy. It's a lot different when the PRIMARY broadcaster is a massive heel, as opposed to the color guy.

I hate Cole's gimmick, I do. I hate that Vince constantly feeds him stuff. I hate that he ruins the matches because he's more focused on degrading a guy than doing the play-by-play. And that's what makes him the unbearable. Instead of stating what's happening in ring, he's too busy bagging on the person. If he was color, it would be at the appropriate times, rather than the entire time.

With that said, I don't believe Cole is a BAD announcer. I just think his gimmick has been taken way too far, and Vince feeds way too much too him.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-01-2012, 11:15 PM

Rammsteinerteen is looking to come up from OCW...Rammsteinerteen is looking to come up from OCW...

I just don't like listening to him complain or talk about something irrelevant in the middle of a match. I actually resort to changing the channel or putting the show on mute. I liked him as a face much better, that way he didn't bury every wrestler that works their ass off to improve for the WWE.

As for Bobby Heenan, I see what you are trying to do there and I agree. Heenan was a great manager, but a shitty commentator. My opinion.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-01-2012, 11:23 PM
ONLY $9.99 A MONTH!!
Ring of Honor Champion

justinsayne is an Intercontinental Champion...justinsayne is an Intercontinental Champion...justinsayne is an Intercontinental Champion...justinsayne is an Intercontinental Champion...justinsayne is an Intercontinental Champion...justinsayne is an Intercontinental Champion...justinsayne is an Intercontinental Champion...justinsayne is an Intercontinental Champion...justinsayne is an Intercontinental Champion...justinsayne is an Intercontinental Champion...justinsayne is an Intercontinental Champion...

Two big differances between Cole & Heenan

1-Heenan was actually entertaining when he did it. Where Cole comes of as just overbearing & extremely annoying, there have been times where I literally had to hit the mute button during one of Coles rants, I've never had to do that with Heenan, in fact I tend to find myself occasionally laughing at some of the shit Heenan would say during commentary.

2-Heenan was a color commentator, where Cole is a play by play commentator. Coles constant ranting & verbal burial of wrestlers on commentary takes his focus away from what he's suppose to be doing, which is calling the play by play of the match, many times it feels like we don't have a single play by play guy on commentary, but instead have 3 guys trying to do color commentary, which just doesn't work. Somebody needs to call the play by play & add some insight into what's going on in the match. If they're going to insist on Cole continuing with this crap, then get rid of either King or Booker & bring in either JR or someone else that can do the play by play & then have Cole do his heel color commentary schtick.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-01-2012, 11:28 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Midnite Express 2009 is looking to come up from OCW...Midnite Express 2009 is looking to come up from OCW...Midnite Express 2009 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harthan View Post
There's a couple of differences to me. One is that Heenan wasn't half so aggressive about it as is Cole. Heenan would deride faces for their heroic actions or whatever it was the crowd was cheering, but he rarely completely dressed them down at every level. Cole, meanwhile, has done that to guys like Daniel Bryan, for example. When Cole got on Bryan's case back in the day (he's toned it down somewhat) he was vehement about destroying any shred of credibility that Daniel Bryan had. But this wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the other factor - there's no one mitigating Cole's influence. Jerry Lawler's a pathetic excuse for a color commentator who can do no more but half heartedly mumble "Oh, come on Cole" and make fat jokes. Josh Matthews is spineless and if he's not doing straight play-by-play he has almost no idea what he's doing in the booth. Booker T is the best thing Cole has to a foil, but even he rarely counters Cole well. Michael Cole, if nothing else, is an excellent verbal debater and he completely dresses down his competition. Heenan was the same, but the difference was that he had Monsoon in the booth to take him to ask for it. Another factor is that Cole is the play by play man - he is, quite literally, the voice of the WWE. Heenan was just a heel who sat in the booth. It was Monsoon's job to call the action, to sell the product, to talk about advertisements and upcoming events and so on. Monsoon was the voice, not Heenan. What we have today is the voice of the WWE, the most dominant figure in commentary, shitting all over guys that are trying to get over. This is fundamentally different from what Heenan's role was, which was only to provide color commentary. The final thing is that Cole was never a wrestling character who had already garnered heat and the audience decidedly hated. Cole made a slow, subtle turn to the heel side. This is subtly different from Heenan. Heenan was a character that everyone hated. Cole isn't so much of a character, and because of his penetration into reality, his words have a different effect.

What it all boils down to is how heavily tipped the scales have become to Michael Cole's heel commentary. He dominates every aspect of the booth. He's more vehement than Heenan was, he gets more time to speak, he dominates his competition, he has the force of the play by play role, and he has more reality penetration. The net effect is that when Cole decides to tear something apart, he does so with remarkable success. And because no one ever takes real retribution on him (unlike Heenan, who was frequently taken to task in the ring) he can severely destroy someone's credibility with his actions. He definitely impeded the success of Daniel Bryan more than he helped him, and has done the same to others.

I have to admit that you have a point with Jerry Lawler. In so many ways, Lawler makes matters worse because at the end of the day he's very bland to Michael Cole's contunious disrespect of almost every superstar on the roster. I say bland because he doesn't off-set Michael Cole whatsoever. Maybe if Lawler took more of a stance like he did when HE himself was somewhat like Michael Cole during the Attitude Era with Jim Ross, maybe things would be a bit different.

I always do the comparison of Bobby Heenan and Jesse Ventura because they didn't go out of their way to make a mockery of the superstars and let's be honest, there were honestly worse wrestlers (character wise that is) than there is now. To always find something wrong with Daniel Bryan, as example, is extremely disrespectful. Memo to Cole: Stop tearing apart somebody for something YOU yourself can't do. That's a hater and you're the biggest hater in WWE.

Ventura was a legit athlete. Heenan, while not a wrestler per-say, was certainly able to hold his own. Bobby would have never just totally disregarded Hogan or anyone else for that matter. I have no idea while Vince McMahon constantly allows this to happen. Nobody believes Cole anyway, but still, you can't have some commentator destroy your champion. It makes the whole product look foolish and honestly somewhat WCW-like.

So in short, I think people hate Michael Cole because people stand back & say, "what gives you the right?" He's taking it too far and it interrupts the even flow of the show & overall product. He's a problem because he doesn't seem to take what he does seriously and he comes off as if he's just another "whatever" critic like the rest. He's not appearing as a character, he just comes across as an overall prick and nobody likes that. His hatred is pure from the fans.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:34 PM

M3420 is looking to come up from OCW...

Bold move comparing Cole to Heenan, but I don't think you're too far off. There's a very thin line between hating a 'heel' and actually hating the person. In real life, Cole's probably a pretty good guy, but his persona on tv makes a lot of people (myself occassionaly included) hate him. However, there should be a heel announcer. It was getting a bit too soft around the edges when Lawler gradually turned face and was paired with good ol' JR. Nowadays, you have Cole playing an effective heel--though I do wonder where he's going to end up on the Daniel Bryan bandwagon once his heel turn fully materializes. Then you have Lawler who has become a beloved nostalgic face announcer and then you have others coming out of left field such as Booker T, which brings me to another point that the three man team can be better when properly executed.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-01-2012, 11:35 PM
WZCW's Brent Blaze
Knockout Champion

IHW worked a dark match on ECW recently...IHW worked a dark match on ECW recently...IHW worked a dark match on ECW recently...IHW worked a dark match on ECW recently...IHW worked a dark match on ECW recently...IHW worked a dark match on ECW recently...IHW worked a dark match on ECW recently...IHW worked a dark match on ECW recently...IHW worked a dark match on ECW recently...IHW worked a dark match on ECW recently...IHW worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Cole is wonderful at what he does.
It is not Cole that people hate, it is the character he portrays. But, isn't that the whole point of being a heel? If your a heel and people hate you, you are doing a damn good job. How many Heel Superstars in the WWE can you not stand right now? NONE!
Cole is an announcer, and he is playing a better heel then any wrestle right now!

Just think, we could have Mike Adamle back?

Yeah, Cole is gold.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-01-2012, 11:38 PM

ITALIAN NYC is looking to come up from OCW...ITALIAN NYC is looking to come up from OCW...

I personally think Cole doesnt talk about whats going on in the match. Its not only him though, its King also. They both talk about things that have nothing to do with the current match and dont help us get more interested in whats going on. I feel the match this past week between punk and bryan could have felt even more high profile if they were talking about things other then the match going on. He also buries alot of talent.

My biggest gripe with Cole is the fact that he picks and chooses who he likes and doesnt like. He is the heel commendator. He usually always is on the side of the heels in matches, yet everytime Cena or Orton are there, he becomes all face for them. He changes his attitude all the time. Its almost Bi-Polar like. He also yells into that mic so loud sometimes and whines that I dont like it.

I wish he would just call a match and not complain the whole time. Id like anyone else over him and King right now.
sendpm.gif