WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 12-02-2011, 07:54 AM
The Cerebral Assasin

TheGreatLegend is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Weight Divisions in WWE

WWE should have weight divisions like they used to have before when the "Cruiserweights" and "Heavyweights" were separate.

I mean its really awkward seeing guys like Daniel Bryan,Cody Rhodes,CM Punk etc competing for the World Titles.This is one of the main reason why the Intercontinental and US Title have lost thier prestige. Every guy who isn't even in the weight class is competing for the World Heavyweight Chammpionship and the WWE Championship. Guys competing for World Titles don't even look like Wrestlers.

It really hurts the image of "Wrestling" when other sports like Boxing,UFC etc have weight classes and this is one of the main reason why people call WWE fake etc. Who can really believe a guy like Rey Mysterio can beat guys like Big Show,Kane,etc ?

WCW had thier weight divisions and WWE before 2006 had thier weight divisions.

Do you think WWE should bring back thier weight divisions,now I know alot of Indy marks here especially Punk and Bryan marks will disagree but still post your opinions.

Last edited by TheGreatLegend : 12-02-2011 at 07:58 AM.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-02-2011, 08:28 AM

cm ben is looking to come up from OCW...cm ben is looking to come up from OCW...

Nah.

If it's believability you're looking for, perhaps you've already noticed by now, but WWE isn't it. The day that UFC hosts a casket match, or a boxer uppercuts some guy from the top rope, I'll swallow my words. Rey Mysterio fighting Batista, or whatever, should really be the least of people's worries when it comes to realism in the organization.

On top of that, I think it's kind of cool, and I'd even go as far to say that the thing that gives WWE an edge over real fighting organizations is its lack of realism. The underdog story they're developing between Daniel Bryan and Mark Henry is really engaging--not the most original story we've ever seen--but watching a tiny vegan guy fighting a huge scary ass mofo like Mark Henry is waaaay more effective at getting the point across then watching, I don't know, Alex Riley trying to do the same thing. The huge weight discrepancies are fun, because it's something you wouldn't see anywhere else, and it helps push stories forward.

Plus, Mike Tyson's Punch Out for NES is one of my favorite video games of all time, and when I see tiny guys in the WWE fighting bigger dudes I always think of Little Mac taking out King Hippo or whatever. LET ME HAVE THIS, DON'T TAKE AWAY MY FOND NINENTDO MEMORIES
sendpm.gif
Old 12-02-2011, 08:53 AM
Is a thin rope
WWF Hardcore Champion

Nu Sexier Noun is getting some looks on Smackdown...Nu Sexier Noun is getting some looks on Smackdown...Nu Sexier Noun is getting some looks on Smackdown...Nu Sexier Noun is getting some looks on Smackdown...Nu Sexier Noun is getting some looks on Smackdown...Nu Sexier Noun is getting some looks on Smackdown...Nu Sexier Noun is getting some looks on Smackdown...Nu Sexier Noun is getting some looks on Smackdown...Nu Sexier Noun is getting some looks on Smackdown...Nu Sexier Noun is getting some looks on Smackdown...Nu Sexier Noun is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatLegend View Post
WWE should have weight divisions like they used to have before when the "Cruiserweights" and "Heavyweights" were separate.
No they shouldn't. Cruisers have absolutely no difficulty getting pushed in today's WWE. Every champion in WWE at the moment is a cruiserweight except Mark Henry. Why segregate the tallent and make it harder for them to rise to the top?

Quote:
I mean its really awkward seeing guys like Daniel Bryan,Cody Rhodes,CM Punk etc competing for the World Titles.This is one of the main reason why the Intercontinental and US Title have lost thier prestige.
No and no.

Quote:
Every guy who isn't even in the weight class is competing for the World Heavyweight Chammpionship and the WWE Championship. Guys competing for World Titles don't even look like Wrestlers.

This guy doesn't look like a wrestler? What does he look like then?

Quote:
It really hurts the image of "Wrestling" when other sports like Boxing,UFC etc have weight classes and this is one of the main reason why people call WWE fake etc. Who can really believe a guy like Rey Mysterio can beat guys like Big Show,Kane,etc ?
Because WWE isn't a real sport and those ones are. Weight divisions are needed in MMA/boxing to keep things competitive, wheras in wrestling all it does it does is add a barrier for tallented guys to get past (the stigma of being "just a cruiserweight"). Divisions are uneeded and completely uneccesary.

Quote:
WCW had thier weight divisions and WWE before 2006 had thier weight divisions.
You may notice that one of those companies is dead, and one's LHW/CW division spent most of its existance as a joke.

Quote:
Do you think WWE should bring back thier weight divisions,now I know alot of Indy marks here especially Punk and Bryan marks will disagree but still post your opinions.
Indies suck, but a cruiserweight division would suck more.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-02-2011, 09:34 AM
"Original Blaade"
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Blaade scored a win over Santino Marella...Blaade scored a win over Santino Marella...Blaade scored a win over Santino Marella...Blaade scored a win over Santino Marella...Blaade scored a win over Santino Marella...Blaade scored a win over Santino Marella...Blaade scored a win over Santino Marella...Blaade scored a win over Santino Marella...Blaade scored a win over Santino Marella...Blaade scored a win over Santino Marella...Blaade scored a win over Santino Marella...
Send a message via AIM to Blaade Send a message via Skype™ to Blaade

It wouldn't make sense nowadays considering half of the roster would be considered "Cruiserweights" or "Light Heavy Weights". The WWE has realized over the last few years that you don't have to be a jacked guy to get over and a majority of the newer guys that have come in over the last few years have been smaller than those in the past, most would be considered "Cruiserweights" by your standards.

You're going to sit there and say that guys like Punk, Miz, Mysterio, Daniel Bryan and Cody Rhodes don't deserve WWE and World Title opportunities just because of their size? They're some of the most over guys in WWE right now and no one gives a shit about Mason Ryan, Big Zeke, and Jack Swagger; guys who fit the big guy mold. That shows that size doesn't matter to the fans, so it shouldn't matter to WWE either.

Plus WWE itself doesn't consider what it does a "Sport" as they've shown they're trying to detach themselves from the "Wrestling" name and labeled themselves "Sports Entertainment".
Old 12-02-2011, 09:48 AM
WWF Champion
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Why Always Me is looking to come up from OCW...Why Always Me is looking to come up from OCW...

No - especially now the WWE are being more realistic with the wrestlers billed weights, half the roster would be eligible.

If the brand split is kept (and I hope it isn't) then no more titles are needed.

If the brand split is ended (yes please) then you have the IC and US titles, either make the US title the lesser of the two or repackage the belt as the TV title, then the 'smaller' wrestlers could compete for that maybe.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Bra & Panties match winner & NEW...
WWE Diva's Champion

Peoples_Champ is looking to come up from OCW...Peoples_Champ is looking to come up from OCW...Peoples_Champ is looking to come up from OCW...Peoples_Champ is looking to come up from OCW...Peoples_Champ is looking to come up from OCW...Peoples_Champ is looking to come up from OCW...Peoples_Champ is looking to come up from OCW...Peoples_Champ is looking to come up from OCW...

No. The WWE / World titles have the most prestige, a Cruiserweight title has none. It would be interesting to reinstate the Cruiserweight title, once Sin Cara returns. It would give the lower-midcarders something to do.

You Can't See Me
sendpm.gif
Old 12-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Smooth As A Prom Queen's Ass
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...Jack-Hammer is a United States Champion...

Definitely no to this. Generally speaking, weight divisions do not work among American wrestling fans and never really have. American fans, for the most part, prefer to see wrestlers put into the ring, regardless of size differences, and see who the better man is.

Limiting pro wrestlers by their weight really does suggest and enforce the notion that only "big guys" can make it to the top, which is an inaccurate assumption that's plagued the WWE long enough as it is. Also, as others have already said, look at most of the WWE roster. Most of the wrestlers signed to WWE weigh in the 200 to 225 pound range as it is and WWE has recently, for most wrestlers, started using their actual weights when they're announced.

Besides, it's not as though the WWE hasn't gone the route of Cruiserweights, Light Heavyweights & Junior Heavyweights in the past. WCW's Cruiserweight Division did have some great wrestlers in it but look how they were portrayed in WCW. Jericho, Mysterio, Guerrero and a few others were just "Cruiserweights" in WCW and became main eventers in WWE. In the last few years especially, WWE has really come to realize that talented wrestlers shouldn't have their careers limited based on how much they weigh.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
sendpm.gif
Old 12-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Serial Racist
WCW TV Champion

The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...

I do not think that weight divisions have much of a place in wrestling. Wrestling is all about underdog stories, the small guy somehow gathering the strength to take the big guy down, but the weight divisions do play a huge deterrent to those type of storylines.

I know that a lot of people loved the cruiserweight division in WCW and while they were great from an aesthetic sense, it did not really do much for the wrestlers involved. Most of the cruiserweights were rather weak on the mic and they worked with other such weak mic workers of their ilk, which really did not do their cause any good. You can only get better by working with better performers. Their exclusivity also did them no good. Unless you are competing and defeating the big names out there, you are never going to get up the card. The fact that they only worked with cruiserweights hurt them.

So yeah, weight divisions have more cons than pros and should therefore never come back.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-02-2011, 01:14 PM

TheErikMoonShow is looking to come up from OCW...

No. And since mostly everyone brought up all my points Ill disagree with you saying no one can believe Batista losing to Rey Mysterio. The underdog story always prevalent in sports. A few years back a Wild Card nfl team had no chance at beating the undefeated Patriots it was unbelievable but it happened. America faced the Russians in a hockey game we had no business winning. Do you believe in Miracles? Wayne Chrebet under sized wide reciever was told he had no chance in the NFL same with Doug Flutie. Both rose above using all the hate as inspiration. Size, experience, ability all mean nothing in an underdog story. And people love seeing an underdog win the big prize. It gives them hope in their own lives.

Also what the hell is wrong with this forum. A year ago I remember reading complaints how vince hates small guys and wont push them. Now youre complaining that its unrealistic. Shake my head.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-02-2011, 01:23 PM
The lord of darkness
Knockout Champion

VinnieSunshine is looking to come up from OCW...VinnieSunshine is looking to come up from OCW...VinnieSunshine is looking to come up from OCW...VinnieSunshine is looking to come up from OCW...VinnieSunshine is looking to come up from OCW...

Im with the majority here. A weight-class in WWE would not work. Most guys are close to the same weight so there would be very few guys in the heavyweight class.

Heavyweights are mostly seen as top guys of the company, and there are few SUPER heavyweights so you would have to combined them. Guys that WOULD be in the heavyweight class would not belong because they are not main eventers yet.

Lets break this down. Lets look at active roster, NOT including NXT

HEAVYWEIGHT CLASS
Big Zek
Mark Henry
Brodus Clay
Big Show
Jinder Mahal
Triple H
Kane
Undertaker
Great Khali
Wade Barrett