WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 09-28-2011, 12:40 PM

steveom07 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default What happened to catchphrases?

Was watching a Chris Jericho DVD about his early years in WWF where he used countless catchphrases which helped in part to get him over with the fans.

People like The Rock, Austin, Hogan, HHH, Shawn Michaels etc etc etc. That is an endless list, all used catchphrases to get crowd interaction and get reactions.

I dont think catchphrases are the be all and end all, for example you couldnt just give a random superstar The Rocks catchphrases and get him over. It has a lot to do with the superstars charisma.

Even people like Ron Simmons with Damn, got well over with the crowd.

In current WWE I can only think of a couple of people who use catchphrases and really only 1 who sets up for the catchphrases so you know its coming. Them being The Miz (awesomeeee) and John Cena (Champ is here).

Do you think catchphrases would bring bigger crowd interaction?

Who in particular needs a catchphrase or would pull it off well?

Credit to ARLO for the awesome sig
sendpm.gif
Old 09-28-2011, 01:02 PM

ahoyhoy is looking to come up from OCW...

Woo woo woo the. champ. is. awwwwwwwwwesome on a pipebomb as the voice of the voiceless in a c-o-n-spiracy made for the jimmys
sendpm.gif
Old 09-28-2011, 01:05 PM
Thinking Of A New Name..
Knockout Champion

The Future Rises is looking to come up from OCW...The Future Rises is looking to come up from OCW...The Future Rises is looking to come up from OCW...The Future Rises is looking to come up from OCW...The Future Rises is looking to come up from OCW...The Future Rises is looking to come up from OCW...

There are a wrestlers that still have catchphrases. John Cena, The Miz, CM Punk if you count "Best in the world", R Truth with his "little jimmys" and "you gone get got!", Ryder with his "Woo Woo Woo You Know It".. It's just that today's catchphrases aren't as good as the catchphrases of say the Attitude Era. I think wrestlers had so much more freedom and the mic and with all the innovative guys like The Rock, Steve Austin, Kurt Angle, and Chris Jericho the mic work was awesome back then. In today's WWE all you have to do to get some entertaining segments is give them more freedom in my opinion. So to answer your question I just think the new stars don't have enough freedom on the mic so why would they be so motivated to come up with some really innovative stuff to say?

Last edited by The Future Rises : 09-28-2011 at 01:07 PM.
sendpm.gif
Old 09-28-2011, 01:06 PM
WHAT?!

The Hardcore Kid is looking to come up from OCW...The Hardcore Kid is looking to come up from OCW...The Hardcore Kid is looking to come up from OCW...

"Woo woo woo you know it"
"That's the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth"
"My name is Alberto del Rio, but you already knew that"
"One more match!"
"Pipebomb"
"Excuse me!"
"And I quote..."
"Really? Really? Really?"

Just to name a few off the top of my head. They're there. They're not as good as ones in years past, but they're there.
sendpm.gif
Old 09-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

martymcfly is looking to come up from OCW...martymcfly is looking to come up from OCW...martymcfly is looking to come up from OCW...

Don't forget about the tremendously successful husky harris catchphrase "I'm a tank with a ferrari engine" or something along those ridiculous lines.

I think catch phrases only really work if the person is already good on the mic (maybe an exception for the undertaker's "rest in peace"). It would be useless (and history has shown it has been) to try and give someone a catchphrase if they didn't regularly get mic time.

So to answer, who needs one? I don't know if there is anyone that really needs one right now. Maybe dolph ziggler...he seems to be getting more mic time but still doesn't seem to have tipped into that "over" camp yet so it could help him. Similarly, maybe cody rhodes?

If drew mcintyre ever showed up on TV outside of being embarassed, perhaps he could use one too but I won't hold my breath on that.
sendpm.gif
Old 09-28-2011, 01:09 PM
A hound of justice

Sheamus' Suntan is looking to come up from OCW...Sheamus' Suntan is looking to come up from OCW...Sheamus' Suntan is looking to come up from OCW...Sheamus' Suntan is looking to come up from OCW...Sheamus' Suntan is looking to come up from OCW...Sheamus' Suntan is looking to come up from OCW...

While the above post was poor, I agree. In sentiment, a LOT of people have catchphrases. In fact, theres only a few that dont.

CM Punk is BASED off them now. "I want Ice Cream Bars". "Pipe Bomb." "I am the best wrestler in the world".

Cena obviously has them. Ryder has them. Even Henry's "hall of pain." Orton has the "I am unstable" line which crops up. "Rest in peace" by Undertaker. There's so many.

Catchphrases make a star identifyable. There's only one way you can become a house hold name, and that's by making yourself recognizable. To do this, a catchphrase helps. It's not ALL of the work, but it helps in a big way.

I think Orton could use one. He had the legend killer thing for a while, but since becoming "The viper", he has nothing to him. What I feel a catchphrase does is create a comfort zone for mic work. If they try something new, and it doesn't get over, they can go back to the catchphrase for a cheap pop. It's pretty much how the Rock operates, he talks a lot but if he doesn't create a reaction, he will spew a catchphrase or two and get the cheap pop.

Besides. You missed the biggest heel catchphrase in the WWE right now in your list..."EXCUSE ME!!". Just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie
I like you. You say sensible things
sendpm.gif
Old 09-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Pourquoi?
WWE Diva's Champion

xoxo French Kiss xoxo is looking to come up from OCW...xoxo French Kiss xoxo is looking to come up from OCW...xoxo French Kiss xoxo is looking to come up from OCW...xoxo French Kiss xoxo is looking to come up from OCW...xoxo French Kiss xoxo is looking to come up from OCW...

Catchphrases are still around and plentiful, the current ones just aren't as annoying as the ones from the past.

Catchphrases today don't all get made into T-Shirts, so we don't have to hear them as much to sell merch

2011 Winner of.......
"The Iron Donkey Award for Worst Poster of the Year"
"The Cheap Ho Award for Poster You'd Most Love to Pimp Slap"
sendpm.gif
Old 09-28-2011, 01:32 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

poppycock is looking to come up from OCW...poppycock is looking to come up from OCW...poppycock is looking to come up from OCW...

Yeah, as many already mentioned they are still being used just not really as good as they have been in the past. I like a good catchphrase from time to time. Some are great and fit the character really well and you can see they are well thought out... some just seem to happen and the wrestler sticks with it because people start to get into it. I really hated the "What?" thing Stone Cold would do... It was almost funny at first when he did it but when the crowd started doing it and still do it now sometimes, it is really annoying.

sendpm.gif
Old 09-28-2011, 01:33 PM

ECW Sandman is looking to come up from OCW...

The Catchphrases are still around My all time two favorite Catchphrases has to be hands down Bret Hart's '' The Best There Is, The Best There Was, and The Best There Ever Will Be '' That Catchphrase and Mr. Perfect's '' Absolutely Perfect '' were probably the two most legit Catchphrases in Wrestling history because Bret Hart was The Best There Is in his day The Best There was back In The Day and The Best There Ever Will Be People still talk about how Bret Performed in the ring and as far as Mr. Perfect goes He really was perfect in almost everything he did baseball football basketball Hockey Swimming Everything. the guy was so so great at everything he did.
sendpm.gif
Old 09-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Wise Guy
Knockout Champion

RicoLen is looking to come up from OCW...RicoLen is looking to come up from OCW...RicoLen is looking to come up from OCW...RicoLen is looking to come up from OCW...

I think WWE stars today do far too little in the way of interacting with the crow.

R-Truth has been great in that aspect however, far more than any other mid-carder and better than most of the main eventers too.

The Truth! Shall set you free./The truth has set me free!
C-O-N-... Spiracy
I'm a gooooooood R-Truth!
You gon get got!
Little Jimmy!
And that's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
Ya'll best stop with that WHAT!? thing.
Ya'll pissin me the hell off!
Don't boo me, you should be booing yourselves.

He's got so many solid (and a few great) catch phrases it's no wonder he's over with the live crowds.

The Miz has "Awesome", & "Really?" & "Because I'm The Miz!... and I'm... AWESOME!!!"

A good number of guys have at least one or two catch phrases.

That said, no one aside from John Cena & R-Truth interact consistently with the crowds. CM Punk talks at the crowd, once in a while he asks the crowd a question, but mostly he just talks AT them and says he's their voice. /shrug meh. It seems to be working for him which is good but I keep expecting Punk's bandwagon to get smaller and smaller as time goes on. The guys that really get over well with the crowds are the guys that really make the crowds feel like they are a part of the show.

I truly believe that if more of the superstars would include the crowd more during their promo's that ticket sales would increase, and likely so would ratings. I mean Steve Austin always worked the crowd. "If you want to see Stone Cold kick this guys ass give me a hell yeah." "HELL YEAH!!!" Kurt Angle was constantly working the "You Suck!" & "What!?" chants.