WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 08-10-2011, 03:17 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Alittude sold outAlittude sold outAlittude sold out
Default Wrestlers Talking To Each Other During A Match - More Visible Lately?

During a match? I can't remember if it was always like this or if the wrestler's today just suck at hiding it. I'm not bagging it because I know they have to do it but it just seems like you see it quite a lot during each episode of raw, smackdown and impact. Maybe it's the camera crew's fault haha.
sendpm.gif
Old 08-10-2011, 03:26 AM
Thinking Of A New Name..
Knockout Champion

The Future Rises is looking to come up from OCW...The Future Rises is looking to come up from OCW...The Future Rises is looking to come up from OCW...The Future Rises is looking to come up from OCW...The Future Rises is looking to come up from OCW...The Future Rises is looking to come up from OCW...

It's called calling spots. And from what I see you rarely see it nowadays cause of the good job the wrestlers do of hiding it. Last time I've seen a match with superstars that had an obvious spot call was something with Cena and Nexus last year. Otunga was pretty green and still is but he obviously told Cena to give him a back suplex while he was applying a headlock on him and the next thing you know.. Cena counters the headlock with a back suplex. Now one Diva I've noticed always calling spots is Alicia Fox. I've seen some of her matches and on some of them she obviously whispers to her opponent which I'm guessing she's telling her what to do now which is spot calling. If she needs to call spots she can atleast hide it.
sendpm.gif
Old 08-10-2011, 03:33 AM
Current WWF Champion

Stein Lager is looking to come up from OCW...

Yeah it's more than often enough the workers in the production truck who choose the angles fault, and to a lesser degree the cameramen themselves. They should be trained enough and wrestling savvy enough to foresee a spot call but sometimes I guess they can't help it.. I've noticed John cena seems to always get caught, and also the miz.. I think it was mizs match with Jerry lawler at elimination chamber where you can see him clear as day saying something to Jerry as he pushes him against the ropes for an Irish whip. I think it's quite entertaining looking out for wrestlers communicating during matches. there are a couple compilation videos on YouTube of it.

Last edited by Stein Lager : 08-10-2011 at 03:38 AM.
sendpm.gif
Old 08-10-2011, 04:28 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

SickJames is a member of the JOB SQUAD

I got into this younger, at age 6, and I never knew they did this, it was real to me then. But even looking back now at the 90's it wasnt just that, they never made it as obvious as it is now. I saw Cena YELL elbow, LOUD last year in the Chamber I believe it was to Sheamus who gave him an elbow... or was that this year? It escapes me. I think it was this year! Anyway, I see them talking now, you may say it's cause I know they do it now. I use to think that they remembered it all when I did start to learn more, but no. I know all now.

I'm just still not liking the fact that they make it more obvious, and they really do.

You're suppose to hide that better, when you're in a hold, tuck your face into your arm and talk, they do that all the time and it looks better even if you know they're doing it, it's not visible. I mean they hide that less effectively, yet blading is still well done, they are always down and out of sight and blade covering their faces. (Y2J was caught once in the chamber and the referee sliding him the blade can be seen, other times are on youtube too)

I dont even think they blade all the time, once when I was young, I saw The Rock squirting something red on his head and the camera got a shot at the wrong time, it looked like a blood pack. He was in the ring too. I dont know what the hell, I have to look back at every 1999-2000 raw and sd to find it

Anyway if the art of blading can still be heavily concealed then so should spot calling. They need to do better jobs of hiding it, in whatever position they're in. The crowd's noise helps, they just need to not make it obvious. And Wrestling Exposed documentary said they (i guess in the past) wore body mics? what the hell are they and where do they go? I'm guessing that's not done anymore. I dont see how shirtless guys would have that.
sendpm.gif
Old 08-10-2011, 05:36 AM

WWE Ice Cream Bar is looking to come up from OCW...

People forget that in the past Tv's were basically SD quality where most of chatter between the wrestlers would not be visible. Now that they are HD, you can clearly make out when a conversation is taking place. I think they still do a pretty decent job of hiding it tho.
sendpm.gif
Old 08-10-2011, 06:37 AM

the_vipers_enigma is looking to come up from OCW...

With the HD almost everything is obvious plus the people who choose what to display on the screen have gotten sloppy if you ask me.And we musn't forget that people know almost every trick in the wrestling so they know for what to look and that's why there is and impression that it's gotten more visible
sendpm.gif
Old 08-10-2011, 07:11 AM
WWE Women's Champion

closet_fan is looking to come up from OCW...closet_fan is looking to come up from OCW...closet_fan is looking to come up from OCW...closet_fan is looking to come up from OCW...closet_fan is looking to come up from OCW...closet_fan is looking to come up from OCW...

Wrestling fans might be called dumb, but most aren't when it comes to stuff like blading and spot calling. Often times when someone gets hit with a foreign object, I will look at what the guy is doing who got hit, even though they want you to pay attention to the guy with the chair, brass knuckles, etc.

It's quite comical when you find the mistakes without even looking for them. Impact and Smackdown can hide this because they are taped, but PPVs and RAW get interesting when someone gets caught.

I guess you can't post youtube videos because I got an infraction before for doing it, but during 2004's Royal Rumble, you can hear Big Show tell all the guys what he is going to do while they are surrounding him and trying to pick him up. He says he's going to go for Cena first then RVD. Sure enough.

The ref even threw the X up because Cena jacked up his knee when he got thrown out.

There is another one where you can clearly hear Cena tell Miz Bulldog, but Miz blocks it with his knee.

And the best one of all is HHH telling Owen exactly what he's going to do in sentences. You can hear that one clear as day.

Last edited by closet_fan : 08-10-2011 at 07:22 AM.
sendpm.gif
Old 08-10-2011, 07:36 AM

Jesse-Jeniside is looking to come up from OCW...

The most recent one I had seen was on this weeks Monday Night Raw with Cena Vs Swagger. Swagger had him in some kind of back hold and Cena was struggling out then you can see Cena lift his head and say Gutwrench Suplex. 2 seconds later Cena gives Swagger a gutwrench suplex.
sendpm.gif
Old 08-10-2011, 07:48 AM
semi-retired from WZ
ECW TV Champion

Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by closet_fan View Post
Wrestling fans might be called dumb, but most aren't when it comes to stuff like blading and spot calling. Often times when someone gets hit with a foreign object, I will look at what the guy is doing who got hit, even though they want you to pay attention to the guy with the chair, brass knuckles, etc.
I do the exact same thing. Its just like with Illusionists. The pretty assistants in the skimpy costumes are there to distract your eyes. If you are watching them, you aren't watching the magician, and it's the magician you need to be paying attention to.

Wrestling is the same way. Watch the person who got hit, not the guy parading around with the chair, 2x4, or whatever foreign object they have. What you will see is the stricken wrestler reach into his tights/trunks, pull out something that is obscured by his hands, usually a small slice of a razor blade, then raise his hands to his forehead to sell the "injury". Wrestler discreetly hides razor again, next thing you know, he is "bleeding profusely" because of the chair strike or whatever. Sometimes, if you look closely enough, you can see them attempt to discard the blade. Not often, but occasionally you can catch them.

As for talking, its more noticeable now, because of two things:

1. Matches are faster paced. Believe it or not, but back in the day, all those headlocks, sleeper holds, and other holds that today's wrestling fans would chant BORING over, served a purpose. When you are in a headlock, with your head down, fans can't see your mouth move. It's perfect for calling shots. Wrestlers have always called shots in the ring, the key was doing it in such a way that fans wouldn't catch you doing it. So, you had to hide the face of the wrestler calling them, usually by doing moves that obstructed a fan's view of the face.

2. Referees with ear pieces. As soon as wrestling organizations started putting ear pieces in the referee's ears, so that someone in the back could communicate directly with the ref, it enabled the ref to relay the information to the wrestlers, essentially allowing the agents in back to call the shots. All the ref has to do is carry on the message. If agents are calling the shots via the ref with the ear piece, wrestlers don't have to do it as much, so they don't learn how to do it discreetly. It's like being a pitcher in the American League. Sure, you hit all through high school, college and the minors, but if you play in the AL, you forget that you were once a .324 hitter, and you don't practice doing it because you don't have to bat, and when interleague play or the World Series comes around, that .324 batting average you had in the minor leagues is now .121, simply because you are out of practice.

Last edited by Davi323 : 08-10-2011 at 07:53 AM.
sendpm.gif
Old 08-10-2011, 07:58 AM
Formerly 'Johnny Savage'
WWE Diva's Champion

UFOcalling worked a dark match on ECW recently...UFOcalling worked a dark match on ECW recently...UFOcalling worked a dark match on ECW recently...UFOcalling worked a dark match on ECW recently...UFOcalling worked a dark match on ECW recently...UFOcalling worked a dark match on ECW recently...UFOcalling worked a dark match on ECW recently...UFOcalling worked a dark match on ECW recently...UFOcalling worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I remember first learning about "spot-calling" when I watched that show on TV called "Exposed! Pro Wrestling's Greatest Secrets" (I had to google it, to get the exact title). That show originally aired in 1998, when WWF & WCW were still having the Monday Night Wars. This was the perfect time for a show like this to air, because pro wrestling was so popular in the late '90s.

I believe that show was part of a series, that also exposed "Magician's Greatest Tricks" (or something to that effect). Regardless, shows of this type were popular in the late 1990s (that's when "reality TV" started to become really popular). I even managed to find the show on youtube, if anyone cares to watch it...it doesn't provide a whole lot of information that isn't now common knowledge (at least in the IWC), but it shows how spot-calling works, blading, the ref's involvement in the match, etc. Here's the link, in case anyone's curious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9u8x0Xrj4A

Btw - the masked wrestler they show around 2:15 in that video looks a bit like Ken Anderson, does it not? You never know....

To answer the title question, I didn't ever notice spot-calling until after I learned what it was (and how it was done). After I learned about it, I started watching for it. Sometimes it's completely obvious (as others have already stated), other times it's hard to catch. Most of the time, spot-calling is done so well that it's damn near impossible to see.

I remember seeing one blatantly obvious spot-call, on Monday Night Raw (this must have been 10+ years ago). Maybe it wasn't exactly a "spot-call", but whatever...the spot I'm talking about happened during a tag-team match between The Hardy Boys & The Acolytes. I remember that Bradshaw (JBL) had Matt Hardy set up for a powerbomb, and the spot must have been for Jeff Hardy to stop Bradshaw by doing a move off the top rope. Jeff took an EXTREMELY long time to get to the top turnbuckle, and Bradshaw was just standing there. Bradshaw was acting like he was about to powerbomb Matt any second, but wasn't doing it yet. At first, Bradshaw was doing a decent job of acting like he was just getting Matt into the "perfect position" before he was gonna do the move. This "positioning" literally went on for like 15/20 seconds, and then Bradshaw got really pissed!

Finally, after what seemed like a lifetime of this "positioning", Bradshaw got frustrated enough to yell "COME ON, JEFF!". He yelled it loudly enough for it to be heard on television! Haha! After Bradshaw yelled this, Jeff finally got his shit together and "stopped" the move by jumping off the top rope. I can't remember the finish of the match or anything, I'm sure it was just a typical tag-team match on Raw. Nothing special about it, just another match.

Obviously this kind of thing doesn't happen very often. It was extremely unprofessional, I'm sure Bradshaw got scolded (at the very least) for yelling like that during the match. Even if the spot was screwed up by Jeff, pro-wrestlers are supposed to "think on their feet" and - most importantly - never break "the third wall" (is it "fourth wall"? ...whatever), or break-character.

Personally, I found the whole situation hilarious (while watching at home). This was the most blatant spot I ever saw called on TV; I never saw anything like that before, or ever again. I imagine that Vince must have hit the roof when it happened, since the show was live. I bet "the boys" in the locker room probably gave Bradshaw quite a hard time about that as well, maybe Jeff Hardy too (for messing up the spot). That was hilarious, and it's the most obvious spot-call I've ever seen.

Click for Spoiler:

Last edited by UFOcalling : 08-10-2011 at 08:26 AM.
sendpm.gif