WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > Non-Wrestling Archives > Sports Debater's League
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 02-08-2011, 03:35 PM
More Comfortable with the Seesawing
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...
Default Topic #9, All Players - Best Sports City

My apologies for the delay here. Got kind of busy this week. Also, I'll be adding on an additional topic for a grand total of 11, thereby guaranteeing that everyone gets to bat leadoff. The top 3-4 will advance and I'll decide that before we get to the end.

This thread is to be used by those in the Sports Debater's League. Any other posts in here will be flagged for spam and deleted. You have four days from the time this is posted to post (as in the time this is posted on Saturday, which is approximately when the new topic will go up. Note that I mean 96 hours after MY initial post, not the lead off debater.) your arguments, rebuttals and anything else you want. Best overall debater in that time period receives 10 points, second receives 9, third receives 8, all others receive 7.

Hitting Lead-Off in this debate is hatehabsforever. He has 24 hours to reply and if he doesn't then it's open season.

Again: 4 days, best overall poster gets first place points.

Topic: What city is the best sports city? This can be graded based on team performance, stadiums, fans or anything else you want to grade it on.

Scores will be posted as soon as the three judges give their scores.

Go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker
Yes
Quote:
I am
Quote:
in fact
Quote:
better than you.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:30 PM
Mr. Money in the Bank

hatehabsforever is getting phone calls from TNA...hatehabsforever is getting phone calls from TNA...hatehabsforever is getting phone calls from TNA...hatehabsforever is getting phone calls from TNA...hatehabsforever is getting phone calls from TNA...hatehabsforever is getting phone calls from TNA...hatehabsforever is getting phone calls from TNA...hatehabsforever is getting phone calls from TNA...hatehabsforever is getting phone calls from TNA...hatehabsforever is getting phone calls from TNA...hatehabsforever is getting phone calls from TNA...

I am really glad I got to go first in this round of the Sports Debaters League because I think the choice is clear regarding this question. As much as it pains me to say it, the answer to this question is obvious and nearly beyond debate. It's clearly the Big Apple, New York.

How would you decide which city, amongst all of the sports-happy cities that are out there, stands head and shoulders above all of the others? I think you need to look at the success of the various franchises that play there. This can be determined by championships, obviously, but can also involve cities whose teams are consistently front and centre in the picture regarding the teams that operate in their cities. You must consider the passion exuded from the fans of the cities in question. This can involve fans who live in the city in question, or fans who make a point to visit there specifically to see them, or even, the fans who are exuberant and enthusiastic concerning the teams and cities being considered.

Numbers need to be considered. The bigger the city, the greater the number of fans. Attendance by the fans at the games in question is important. If a team is a consistent contender, but no one goes to their games, no one follows them on television, you cannot consider the city to be the best sports city. The stadium or field or arena that houses the teams can be looked at. It helps enhance the visibility and profile of the team, and helps make the city in question look even more like the top sports city.

Let's break it down sport by sport. If we consider Major League Baseball, we have two teams. This is one feature which New York has which a lot of other cities do not, multiple teams in the same sport, over and above representation in multiple major sports. The New York Mets are a team with a huge following. Despite their recent mediocrity, they have enjoyed their share of success over the years. They have won the World Series on two separate occasions, in 1969 and 1986, but over and above this, have enjoyed plenty of other post season action. Their fans are numerous and die hard, enjoying a broad range of appeal. Despite being lackluster over the last period of time, attendance figures remain strong, television ratings remain high, and Shea Stadium remains popular. If you don't think that the Mets are significant enough to earn the city votes as top sports city, perhaps the team which shares the city with them may convince you. The Evil Empire, the New York Yankees.

Winners of 27 World Series titles. Perennial post season favorites. Rabid baseball fans, whether they be the residents of the city who followed the team in the Bronx or in the new Yankee Stadium, or pretty much anywhere in the world, fans of the team in pinstripes are absolutely everywhere. In their new stadium, they can showcase their talent, and the largest payroll in the game, to their plethora of fans in attendance or worldwide. The Yankees probably inspire more passion than any other team, certainly in MLB. Some may love them, others may despise them, but they do get a large reaction either way.

But it isn't just baseball. How about the NFL? We have both the Jets and the Giants. Granted their stadium is in New Jersey, but they are still called the New York Jets and the New York Giants. The Jets boast a Superbowl victory, in 1968 with the famous Namath guarantee. And the Giants have three, in 1986, 1990, and 2007. The Giants managed to disrupt the Patriots flirtation with perfection four years ago, inspiring both euphoria with their fans and venom from us Patriots fans. The Jets produced similar emotions this season. Not only is the Big Apple the top sports city because of their MLB sons, but their NFL guys as well.

Then there's the Knicks. With two titles to their name in the early '70's, and a passionate fan base, both celebrities and common folks alike, they add to the perception of New York as the premiere sports city.

The NHL boasts the Rangers and the Islanders. The former team has 4 Stanley Cups under their belts with 1994 being the most recent. The latter has been lackluster for quite some time now, but let's not forget the dynasty that was back in 1980-1983. Two historically significant hockey franchises, both residing in the hotbed of professional sports, the one and only New York City.

We can look beyond the big four as well. In tennis, the final Grand Slam event of the season, the US Open, happens in Flushing Meadows every fall. Pretty much every professional sports league has a franchise which operates out of this city. Golf tournaments are held on the outskirts of the city. And collegiate sports are interwoven in the fabric of this sports Mecca.

Look, there are plenty of cities who could lay claim to fame as the best sports city. Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Dallas, the list goes on and on. My heart really wanted to answer this question with the selection of Boston, which houses my beloved Bruins, Celtics, and Patriots, as well as the Red Sox who I don't mind as well. But I had to push passion aside and go with logic, common sense, and the simple facts. And when push comes to shove, there's simply no denying it. New York City is clearly the best sports city, much to the chagrin of many of us.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Plump, Juicy User
United States Champion

gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...

At the this moment, Pittsburgh is the clear choice. Definitely the best and most enjoyable city when it comes to sports.

There's been a ton of success in recent years. 2 Super Bowls from the Steelers and consistently good to great performances. The Pens have solidified themselves as an upper echelon team in the NHL. Pitt has one of the best college basketball programs in the country and Duquesne and Robert Morris are strong as well. The Pirates ... well they suck. But that's just one bad apple.

There is also strong sports history, especially in football where you have the likes of Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Johnny Unitas, Joe Namath, Tony Dorsett, Mike Ditka, Darelle Revis etc, etc. The list goes on and on.

You have some of the best stadiums in the country. Heinz Field is rock solid, PNC Park is one of the best parks in the MLB despite the shitty product. The brand new Consol Energy Center is a sight to behold.

Most of all, it's the fans that make Pittsburgh the best sports city. Steeler fans fill up Heinz Field every Sunday with a college like atmosphere and are known as the best traveling fans in the entire league, regardless of where the game is being played. The Pens have a ton of sell outs in a row as well and the local hockey station has by far the highest ratings of any US market. The Islanders, on the other hand, are among the lowest. Even PNC Park gets nice crowds at points during the year. Regardless of what it is, Pittsburgh fans are just so passionate and diehard, more than any other city out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyourinmaru View Post
it's a prestarted family. My Girlfriend has a 3 year old
Old 02-09-2011, 12:54 AM
Deadly Rap Cannibal
King of the Ring

Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...

Open

The obvious answer to this question is the city of Detorit. The city of Detorit is one of few that has a team in all 4 of the major professional sports. They have the Lions in the NFL, the Pistons in the NBA, the Tigers in MLB, and the Red Wings in the NHL.

Performance

All 4 teams with the exception of maybe the Lions have had very good success and a lot of it recently. The Lions have struggled as of late but the future is bright with young stars like Calvin Johnson, Ndamukong Suh, Matthew Stafford, and Jhavid Best. The Pistons are having a tough few year stretch but before that they had gone to 6 straight East Finals including 2 NBA Finals and they won an NBA title. The Tigers just went to the World Series in 2006 and have had at least a .500 record in 4 of the last 5 seasons. The Red Wings are about to go to the playoffs for the 20th straight season and in that time period they have gone to the Stanley Cup Finals 6 times and won the Cup 4 times.

Stadiums

All of Detroit's stadiums are relatively new and some of the best in each league. Ford Field for the Lions was just opened in 2002 and is one of the nicest stadiums in the NFL. Comerica Park for the Tigers was opened in 2000 and is one of the nicer MLB stadiums. The Palace of Auburn Hills for the Pistons is around 20 years old but is still one of the nicest NBA arenas. The Joe Louis Arena for the Red Wings is very historic and a very popular NHL venue.

Fans

This is what takes Detroit over the top. If a Detroit team is winning you can expect a sell out almost every night. If they are competitive then great attendance is a guarantee. Even if the team is struggling attendance is still there in a solid capacity and all it takes is a few wins for the fans to really get into it and take that attendance to a whole new level. The fans in Detorit are very patient and grateful for any good effort that is shown even if it is a losing effort.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:54 AM
Mr. Money in the Bank

hatehabsforever is getting phone calls from TNA...hatehabsforever is getting phone calls from TNA...hatehabsforever is getting phone calls from TNA...hatehabsforever is getting phone calls from TNA...hatehabsforever is getting phone calls from TNA...hatehabsforever is getting phone calls from TNA...hatehabsforever is getting phone calls from TNA...hatehabsforever is getting phone calls from TNA...hatehabsforever is getting phone calls from TNA...hatehabsforever is getting phone calls from TNA...hatehabsforever is getting phone calls from TNA...

You know, I completely understand the perspective that every sports fan from any larger city which houses professional sports franchises thinks their city is the best, that their fans are the most raucous, and that the world of professional sports revolves around their location. As I live in a smaller city in eastern Canada which does not possess any professional sports teams, I think I can examine the question from a position of a little less bias.

First of all, to GD, the notion that Pittsburgh is the best sports city is, with all due respect, somewhat laughable when compared to a city such as New York. You clearly are looking at the question with Pennsylvania rose colored glasses. In looking at the four major leagues in North America (MLB, NHL, NBA, and NFL), it should be pointed out that Pittsburgh does not even have a NBA team. They do have a team in MLB (sort of) but let's face it, the Pirates are barely above Triple A calibre and there is nothing to suggest that is going to change any time soon. Long gone are the glory days of Willie Stargell and Dave Parker of the early '80's. Sure, they saw a brief resurgence with Barry Bonds and Bobby Bonilla, but that was a long time ago as well, and emphasis on the word brief. The Penguins are a fair-weather team. Years ago, they were not that popular. Along comes Mario Lemieux and company, and they become contender's. Suddenly it is fashionable to be a Penguins fan, and popularity soars. When the Lemieux years ended, Pittsburgh came damn close to losing their franchise, either to relocation or contraction. Where were the fans then? Along comes Sid the Kid and Malkin and others, and lo and behold, it's cool to be a hockey fan in Steeltown again. In all likelihood, what happens when Crosby and company's time passes? In all likelihood, a return to mediocrity, and another struggle for survival. Hardly the poster boys for the top sports city.

There's no denying the Steelers, one of the most dominant teams in NFL history with a long and proven track record of success, and with rabid fans who absolutely love the black and gold. But one success story does not make the city earn the moniker of the best sports city.

Sure they have great stadiums, but in all honesty, so do most teams in most professional leagues, with some exceptions of course. The quality of their stadiums does not alone earn them the title of top sports city. Neither does the quality of their collegiate sports, as again, that can be applied to a plethora of cities across the United States.

Not really sure what point you were getting at with your references to Ditka, Dorsett, Montana, Marino and others. Last time I checked, they did not play for the Steelers. Sure they played against them, but they did so in numerous cities across the NFL. How does this put Pittsburgh higher than Philadelphia, Detroit, Chicago, or any other major city in the US which has professional sports played there?

I don't doubt that there are passionate fans in Pittsburgh. But such fans are everywhere, but in greater numbers in a city such as New York. I don't see any particular passion in Pirates fans, just stubbornness and despair. As I said earlier, Penguins fans come out of the woodwork when they are winning, but it is easy to cheer for a successful team. Where are those fans in leaner times, when their beloved NHL team nearly landed in Hamilton?

New York is so much more of a sports city than Pittsburgh, it isn't even remotely close. And I will argue along similar lines with Big Sexy about Detroit a little later, but I have to go to work now.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Mr. Money in the Bank

With regards to the assertion by Big Sexy that Detroit is the best sports city, I would make similar oppositions to those I made earlier this morning regarding Pittsburgh. As BS correctly states, Detroit is fortunate enough to house a professional sports franchise in all four of the major mainstream professional sports. This gives them an edge over some cities, such as Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or Cincinnati, but only puts them on par with many other cities who have all four sports represented, and behind such cities as New York who have more than one representative in the same professional sports league.

I'm sure sports fans in Detroit are knowledgeable, passionate, and loyal, if Big Sexy is typical of the Detroit sports fan. But again, this is hardly unique to the Motor City, as such zeal for pro sports exists everywhere, and I don't see anything about Detroit fans that makes them stand out as being any more passionate than anyone else. Their stadiums have been updated, but again, that means little to me in terms of designating a city as the best.

The Detroit Lions have been the epitomy of mediocrity, at best, if not futility. They have not fielded a competitive team since the days of Wayne Fontes, and that wasn't yesterday. Their recent 0-16 season hardly does much to convince me that they represent the best sports city. I agree that they are showing signs of life recently, but even still, the Lions to me show the fans to be extremely patient and loyal, but that hardly earns them the distinction of top city.

The Pistons have been better, going back to the days of Laimbeer and company, but with the exception of a couple of mini-runs in more recent days, they have hardly been the mark of consistency. I see nothing in the Pistons that the Knicks do not bring to New York. Sure they have their fans, but there's nothing about the Pistons that particularly impresses me.

The Tigers are MLB's version of the Pistons. Some years they have been pretty good, a few years they have been great, but there has been a number of years when they have been pretty lacklustre. I don't see what the Tigers bring to the table that the Mets and the Yankees, individually or certainly collectively, don't bring.

The Detroit Red Wings are another story. The mark of consistency, one of the Original Six, with a rabid fan base and plenty of accolades. But just like the Steelers alone were not enough to earn Pittsburgh top marks, the Wings alone are simply not enough to earn Detroit the designation of the best sports city.

Make no mistake about it, I am absolutely not a fan of any of the New York sports franchises in either of the four major sports. I hate arguing for them to be seen as the best sports city. However, there's no disputing the facts. When looked at from a position of neutrality, not biased by the lure of the local boys and a sense of loyalty to them, it is clear to me that New York is truly the Mecca of the professional sports world, and has to be seen as the Best Sports City.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Deadly Rap Cannibal
King of the Ring

Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...

To hatehabs and anyone else who pick New York, there is one main reason you could easily argue against it being the best sports city.

Loyalty. Part of what I think makes a great sport city is having your fans be loyal and give all their support to the one team in each league. In New York that's impossible because there are multiple teams in the city for pretty much every major sport, the NBA being the only exception. In the NFL you have some Giant fans and some Jet fans. In the NHL you have a split with the Rangers and Islanders, and in MLB you have the Yankees and Mets. Some may think that makes it a better sport city but quantity doesn't always equal quality. The fact that New York fans loyalty is going in so many different directions is a negative in my eyes.

In a city like Detroit loyalty is always there with each team. There aren't a ton people out there split towards multiple teams. Even with a shitty team like the Lions the fans still come. They may not sell out every single game when they are having a 2-14 or 0-16 season but they still sell out some and the attendance numbers are actually impressive considering the poor play of the team and the poor fortunes of the city/states population. And as soon as there is even a little glimmer of hope that the team is going to play well there is no doubt every single game is going to be sold out. Detroit has it all. Great history, great arenas/stadiums, good performance for the most part, and some of the best, most loyal fans in America.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Deadly Rap Cannibal
King of the Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatehabsforever View Post
With regards to the assertion by Big Sexy that Detroit is the best sports city, I would make similar oppositions to those I made earlier this morning regarding Pittsburgh. As BS correctly states, Detroit is fortunate enough to house a professional sports franchise in all four of the major mainstream professional sports. This gives them an edge over some cities, such as Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or Cincinnati, but only puts them on par with many other cities who have all four sports represented, and behind such cities as New York who have more than one representative in the same professional sports league.
I discussed in my above posts why having more teams isn't necessarily a good thing.

Quote:
The Detroit Lions have been the epitomy of mediocrity, at best, if not futility. They have not fielded a competitive team since the days of Wayne Fontes, and that wasn't yesterday. Their recent 0-16 season hardly does much to convince me that they represent the best sports city. I agree that they are showing signs of life recently, but even still, the Lions to me show the fans to be extremely patient and loyal, but that hardly earns them the distinction of top city.
Winning isn't everything and the Lions are just one team. The Islanders haven't done shit for a while and Knicks have been horrible the last decade. No city has all great teams.

Quote:
The Pistons have been better, going back to the days of Laimbeer and company, but with the exception of a couple of mini-runs in more recent days, they have hardly been the mark of consistency. I see nothing in the Pistons that the Knicks do not bring to New York. Sure they have their fans, but there's nothing about the Pistons that particularly impresses me.
6 straight East finals from 2003-2008, back to back finals appearances in 2004 and 2005, and an NBA title in 2004. The Pistons have shit on the Knicks recently. They also shit on them during the 80's with the Bad Boys. The Knicks haven't won an NBA title since 1973.
Quote:
The Tigers are MLB's version of the Pistons. Some years they have been pretty good, a few years they have been great, but there has been a number of years when they have been pretty lacklustre. I don't see what the Tigers bring to the table that the Mets and the Yankees, individually or certainly collectively, don't bring.
So we're just going to compare each team in each sport and that is supposed to decide which city is a better sports city? I'm not buying it. Baseball is also a little different sport in the fact that teams in a city like New York can basically buy an all star team. That doesn't guarantee wins but it sure as fuck helps.

Quote:
The Detroit Red Wings are another story. The mark of consistency, one of the Original Six, with a rabid fan base and plenty of accolades. But just like the Steelers alone were not enough to earn Pittsburgh top marks, the Wings alone are simply not enough to earn Detroit the designation of the best sports city.
It's good the Wings aren't alone then. The Pistons are one of just 6 teams in NBA history that has won at least 3 NBA titles, something the Knicks can't say. The Tigers are a team on the rise and have had periods of great success in the past. The Lions were a dominant team in the 50's and while they haven't been much since then, they still were home to the greatest running back of all time in Barry Sanders which is a nice bonus.

Quote:
Make no mistake about it, I am absolutely not a fan of any of the New York sports franchises in either of the four major sports. I hate arguing for them to be seen as the best sports city. However, there's no disputing the facts. When looked at from a position of neutrality, not biased by the lure of the local boys and a sense of loyalty to them, it is clear to me that New York is truly the Mecca of the professional sports world, and has to be seen as the Best Sports City.
New York is certainly not the best sports city. Most overrated? Definitely, but not the best. Your so called facts can easily be disputed and have been in this post.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Plump, Juicy User
United States Champion

gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatehabsforever View Post
First of all, to GD, the notion that Pittsburgh is the best sports city is, with all due respect, somewhat laughable when compared to a city such as New York. You clearly are looking at the question with Pennsylvania rose colored glasses. In looking at the four major leagues in North America (MLB, NHL, NBA, and NFL), it should be pointed out that Pittsburgh does not even have a NBA team. They do have a team in MLB (sort of) but let's face it, the Pirates are barely above Triple A calibre and there is nothing to suggest that is going to change any time soon. Long gone are the glory days of Willie Stargell and Dave Parker of the early '80's. Sure, they saw a brief resurgence with Barry Bonds and Bobby Bonilla, but that was a long time ago as well, and emphasis on the word brief. The Penguins are a fair-weather team. Years ago, they were not that popular. Along comes Mario Lemieux and company, and they become contender's. Suddenly it is fashionable to be a Penguins fan, and popularity soars. When the Lemieux years ended, Pittsburgh came damn close to losing their franchise, either to relocation or contraction. Where were the fans then? Along comes Sid the Kid and Malkin and others, and lo and behold, it's cool to be a hockey fan in Steeltown again. In all likelihood, what happens when Crosby and company's time passes? In all likelihood, a return to mediocrity, and another struggle for survival. Hardly the poster boys for the top sports city.
The Pens always had their fans. It wasn't there fault there was problems paying for a new arena, which eventually happened. Even before the Crosby/Malkin era, the Pens lead by Jagr, Lang, Kovalev, and Kasparitis were a big deal. Pens fans are not fair weather in the slightest.

Quote:
Sure they have great stadiums, but in all honesty, so do most teams in most professional leagues, with some exceptions of course. The quality of their stadiums does not alone earn them the title of top sports city. Neither does the quality of their collegiate sports, as again, that can be applied to a plethora of cities across the United States.
Front what I've heard, the new Meadowlands isn't exactly anything to write home about.

Quote:
Not really sure what point you were getting at with your references to Ditka, Dorsett, Montana, Marino and others. Last time I checked, they did not play for the Steelers. Sure they played against them, but they did so in numerous cities across the NFL. How does this put Pittsburgh higher than Philadelphia, Detroit, Chicago, or any other major city in the US which has professional sports played there?
All those guys are from the Pittsburgh area, should have specified.

Quote:
I don't doubt that there are passionate fans in Pittsburgh. But such fans are everywhere, but in greater numbers in a city such as New York.
Yes, there are greater numbers, simply because New York has ten times the population. The actual fans though? Not as great. Unless you consider a bunch of suits sitting on their hands during Yankees games a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyourinmaru View Post
it's a prestarted family. My Girlfriend has a 3 year old
Old 02-09-2011, 07:11 PM
United States Champion

LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...

Open:
Ill be the first to admit I have no love for any of their sports teams, but you should have been a homer here, Habs. With the Celtics, Red Sox, Patriots, and Bruins, the easy choice here is Boston. The consistency, rivalries, championships, and rabid fan base make them the clear choice.

Consistency:
In the last decade alone, three of the major sports teams have won major championships. I love being a Pittsburgh sports fan, but we're a two team city in the Steelers and the Penguins. It must be incredible to be a sports fan and live in a city where you get to root for Tom Brady, Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, David Ortiz, and Manny Ramirez over the past decade. And before people are quick to dismiss the Bruins, they advanced to the Eastern Conference Finals last year and were up 3-0 before a collossal meltdown forced them out of the Stanley Cup Finals. One game away still isn't shabby. The Celtics were bridesmaids last year in the NBA Finals, and the Patriots have earned a first round bye in 3 of the past 4 years, including a trip to the Super Bowl. The Red Sox won the World Series in 2007, and advanced to the ALCS in 2008. All four sports teams are amazingly consistent when it comes to maintaing top caliber teams year in and out. No other sports city to be listed can say that, as of now.

Championships:

Boston also has a pretty compelling long-term argument. The Celtics have won NBA 17 titles over 50 years, including a record 8 in a row from 1959-1966Three separate Championship eras...When it comes to hanging Championship Banners, the Celtics are the cream of the crop. Whether it's the Green's first title in 1957, their 12th in 1974 or the 17th in 2008, the Celtics tradition of winning championships has stood the test of time.

The Patriots have won 3 Superbowl championships(2001,2003 and 2004) and have had 6 Superbowl appearances overall. No NFL team has a better winning percentage in the past 10 years at 71% than the Patriots do, at 108-52 overall. With 6 Super Bowl appearances overall1985,1996,2001,2003,2004,2007), the Patriots trail only Dallas(8) and Pittsburgh(8) overall. Id say the Patriots shaped up nicely as the team of the decade for the 2000's.

While they had to wait 86 years between championships, the Red Sox have won 7 World Series themselves. The Red Sox won the World Series in 1903, 1912, 1915, 1916, 1918, 2004, and 2007. Only the Yankees, Dodgers, and Athletics have more won more pennants than the 11 the Red Sox have captured.

I don't want to discount the Bruins here either. While they haven't won a Stanley Cup since 1971-72, they've won 5 overall. They've been to the Stanley Cup Finals 17 times, which is an astonishing number. Only the Montreal Candadiens, Detroit Red Wings, and Toronto Maple Leafs have been to more.

When it comes to being a "championship city, it's easy to see that Boston is the choice. No other city is top 4 in appearances on the grandest stage of them all in all four major sports. Chmpionships and championship appearances are just another reason Boston is the World's greatest sports town.

Rivalries:

The New England Patriots have been very successful in recent years, and developed hated rivalries with the Indianapolis Colts, the New York Jets, and the Pittsburgh Steelers. Whether it be Tom Brady's acknowledgement that he hates the Jets, or Antonio Cromartie's statements that Brady is an a**hole, no current franchise is engaged in MORE rivalries right now then the Pats. The Patriots thrive of aa fervent fanbase that only adds feul to the fire.

The NHL has a clear cut winner for its most tense and vibrant rivalry, and it's the the fiery feud between the Boston Bruins and the Montreal Canadiens. The number of times that these two teams have met in the playoffs is more than any other two teams in the NHL at 32 times. The same is true of their regular season matchups.

The rivalry between the Boston Celtics and the Los Angeles Lakers is easily the biggest one in NBA history. There are 33 championship banners between them, which is half of all NBA Championships. This including 12 meetings in the NBA Finals, where Boston leads the head-to-head rivalry with a record of 9-3. You really can’t make a case for any other NBA rivalry being as heated. No two teams have shed more blood, sweat and tears on the grandest stage the sport has to offer then the Celtics and the Lakers have.

The Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees are not only the largest rivalry in baseball, it's the biggest rivalry in all of American team sports. It simply has no equal. And, it's not nearly as lopsided as is often perceived. In their post season series history, the Yankees lead the Red Sox, 11-8. In all-time regular season meetings, New York is 1,124–938–14 for a (.545) winning percentage. The success of the Yankees overall, the “Curse of the Bambino” and Boston’s former 86 year Championship drought is what creates the misconception of their dominance in the head-to-head matchups.

As you can see, Boston is unquestionably involved in at least two of the four major sports’ biggest rivalries. There's room for discussion in the NHL and the NFL, but the Patrtiots and the Bruins are included in said discussion. The greatest rivalries in baseball and basketball are well defined, and Boston’s involved in both. No other city in the world can claim this.

Fanbase:

The Boston sports fans are pretty rabid, which is undeniable. However, the same can be said about fans from New York, Detroit, and Pittsburgh, the cities already argued.But do the fans from any other city bring their colors with them as well as Boston fans? When a Boston team visits another city, the stands are often more packed than they are for the majority of their opponents, with fans lining the stands with visitors’ jerseys. There's no argument Boston is a big draw, even on the road. My favorite argument point for Boston's fanbase are it's sports bars. And Im not just arguing its local ones, Im talking across the nation. There are Boston-themed sports bars in New York, Los Angeles, San Diego, Chicago, Denver, Florida, San Francisco, Hawaii, and even Alaska! The fans of Boston teams make it a point to set up shop in other cities, even those of its biggest rivals. This enables Boston fans to get together and enjoy their teams when life's twists and turns take them away from their hometown. I'm certain that there are Pittsburgh(been to a Steelers bar or two across the country), New York, and Detroit themed bars in other cities throughout the country, but not to the extent of those featuring Boston. In my many visits to Boston, Ive yet to find a bar in Boston that favors another teams fans, no matter where you are from. While Pittsburgh has sports bars for the Penguins and Steelers, Detroit for the Bulls and Red Wings, and New York for the Yankees, Boston has sports bars across the nation for all four teams. No other city can argue that claim. To me, this makes Boston the most rabid fanbase across the nation.

Opening post close:
Id love to argue for my own city of Pittsburgh as the greatest sports city, I really would. It's almost painful for me to argue in favor of Boston. But it's recent consistency in terms of performance, its championship legacy, its heated rivalries, and its rabid fanbase put Boston at the top. Looking at these factors, there's simply no way to argue for another city or against Boston.

Last edited by LSN80 : 02-09-2011 at 07:14 PM.