WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > Non-Wrestling Archives > Sports Debater's League
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 01-31-2011, 07:29 PM
Plump, Juicy User
United States Champion

gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSN80 View Post
First off, let me say that Im the last one to defend some of the actions off the court of basketball players. But are you serious about hockey players being "good guys?" Hockey is my favorite sport, but this is ludicrous. Each of the 32 teams in the NHL employs an "enforcer", a glorified goon whose only job is to fight the other teams enforcer. They possess limited skill and athletic ability, unless throwing rights and lefts count.
Being well rounded off the playing surface and being a tough guy on it are two completely different things. Sean Avery may be a goon on the ice, but he's well rounded off of it. He's an aspiring fashion designer for goodness sakes.

Quote:
To add to this, hockey players are no better, if not worse, then basketball players. Was the Vancouver Canucks Brad May being an "all around great guy" when he put a "physical bounty" on Steve Moore of the Colorado Avalanche? Todd Bertuzzi "cashed in" on said bounty when he ended Moore's career by punching him, blindsided in the head, breaking his neck in the process. You can read the article here.

Then there's perennial all-star forward and sniper Danny Healtey of the San Jose Sharks, formerly of the Ottawa Senators and began his NHL career with the Altalnta Thrashers. This "good guy" drove his car 130 miles an hour in a 35 zone after drinking. As a result, passenger and fellow teammate Dan Snyder died due to massive head trauma when Heatley wrecklesslhy ran his car off a road and into a brick wall. Heatley only avoided jail time because Snyder's family begged the jude to do so. You can read this story here.

There's certainly more, as I saved my most recent and laughable example for last. NHL 10 coverboy Patrick Kane and his cousin decided it was appropriate to assault a taxi cab driver because he didn't have a 20 cents in change from $15.00. Yes, you read that right, 20 cents! Not only did they assault the taxi-cab driver, but they stole the $15.00 back as well! A multi-millionaire cover boy commits assault, and he's a good guy? Gimme a break. You can read the article here.
Yes, these are some isolated incidents. But I have some stats for NBA players that may blow you away. These are a few years old, but still, extrememly significant. According to this article (http://www.stormfront.org/forum/t137906/) 40% of NBA players have criminal records. 40%! You listed a bunch of specific examples, but off the top of my head I can give you Delonte West and his gun charges along with fighting with teammates this year, OJ Mayo and Tony Allen getting in a brawl over gambling, Artest attacking the crowd in Detroit, one of the NBA's premier players was involved in a serious rape trial a few years ago, ect and whatnot. Sure there are instances in every sport, but in pro basketball there seems to be an ungodly amount.

As for on the court stuff, that happens in any sport and the heat of battle. I don't think you can blame people as much for that. But still, if you want some bad stuff out of the NBA, here it is. The infamous Kermit Washington punch.

Click for Spoiler:
1k1i4Ddngg8

As far as the physical side, hockey players have to be quick, strong, tough, durable, and skilled to be good players. Skating while controlling a small puck and getting an accurate shot on a relatively small net is a pretty damn diffiicult thing to do.

As for the tennis arguments, I don't really get it. Sure you have to be in pretty good shape, but it's more of less the same thing each and every time out there. And not to mention no tennis player has much more than 5 or 6 quality years in them. I just don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyourinmaru View Post
it's a prestarted family. My Girlfriend has a 3 year old
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:09 PM
United States Champion

LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Disarray View Post
Being well rounded off the playing surface and being a tough guy on it are two completely different things. Sean Avery may be a goon on the ice, but he's well rounded off of it. He's an aspiring fashion designer for goodness sakes..
Yes, Avery is well rounded off the ice. He does a wonderful job of making obscene comments and beind indefinitely suspended by his team for his off the ice incidents.
Click for Spoiler:
Source: TSN.com

The NHL has suspended Dallas Stars forward Sean Avery indefinitely, pending a hearing with commissioner Gary Bettman.

Avery missed Tuesday's game against the Calgary Flames.

The Stars' super-pest is being suspended for disparaging remarks he made this morning in reference to Flames defenceman Dion Phaneuf and Phaneuf's girlfriend, actress Elisha Cuthbert, who previously had a relationship with Avery.

"I am really happy to be back in Calgary, I love Canada," Avery said on camera this morning in Calgary. "I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds. I don't know what that's about. Enjoy the game tonight."

Cuthbert has also been romantically linked to Canadiens defenceman Mike Komisarek, while Avery also dated model and actress Rachel Hunter, the girlfriend of Kings centre Jarrett Stoll.

TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie points to two reasons why the NHL felt compelled to hand out the punishment.

"I believe there are two reasons why Avery was suspended indefinitely pending his hearing with Gary Bettman and Colin Campbell," said McKenzie. "First is his specific choice of words, two words to be precise, 'sloppy seconds'. It's vulgar, the imagery is not good and in the mind of the National Hockey League, it's misogynistic, shows a lack of respect and objectifies women, in this case Elisha Cuthbert, his former girlfriend and current girlfriend of Flames' defenceman Dion Phaneuf. If he'd said ex-girlfriends, we wouldn't be talking about this.

"Secondly, there has been a long litany of things that he hasn't been punished for. He flipped the bird to a cameraman in New York, had verbal exchanges with Darcy Tucker as well as the allegations of what he may or may not have said about Jason Blake. There have been a number of things he hasn't gotten in trouble for and now that he has said this and crossed the line, the hammer has come down."

Avery's hearing will take place in accordance with the NHL Constitution, for conduct "detrimental to the League or game of hockey," the NHL announced. The NHLPA declined to comment on the suspension.

Stars owner Tom Hicks also released a statement on the team's website in which he said he supported the NHL's decision.

"Had the league not have suspended him, the Dallas Stars would have," Hicks stated. "This organization will not tolerate such behaviour, especially from a member of our hockey team. We hold our team to a higher standard and will continue to do so."

Teammate Marty Turco wasn't impressed with Avery's latest antics either.

"Unfortunately, you don't know what the right words are when ignorant comments are made, such as that this morning," Turco said following Tuesday's 3-1 victory over the Flames. "For us, the ability to focus maybe becomes more poignant right now, to bottle things up and play some solid hockey.. We're not gonna ignore what happened today, we're not going to pretend like these things don't happen or face up to it."

Centre Brad Richards echoed those sentiments.

"It's none of my business what he says and I'd rather not talk about Sean," said Richards. "He's got his own thing going on."

Forward Mike Modano felt that the comments were not what the Stars organization is about.

"It's way out of the ordinary and way out of what we expect out of each other, and you know.. It's gonna be dealt with and how it plays out, I'm not sure."

Sources tell TSN the Stars are expected to send Avery home Wednesday morning and NHL on TSN analyst John Tortorella agrees with the move and the suspension.

"The league stepped up here and I think they did the right thing. Enough is enough," said Tortorella. "He's embarrassed himself, he's embarrassed the organization, he's embarrassed the league and he's embarrassed his teammates, who have to look out for him. Send him home. He doesn't belong in the league."

And while NHL on TSN analyst and former player Matthew Barnaby does not agree with the suspension, he questions Avery's future with the Stars.

"As a former player, I don't agree with the suspension," said Barnaby. "Trust me, I said a lot of nasty things to a lot of different players but everything stayed on the ice. Bringing it out in the media is classless and stupid."

"I've played in that organization and it is a class organization. I think he's played his last game as a Dallas Star."

The Stars return to action on Wednesday against the Edmonton Oilers at Rexall Place. You can watch the game live on TSN at 9:30pm et/6:30pm pt.

Further, its irrelevant what these hockey players are like off the ice. They're employed to be goons. ha other sport employs singular players simply to fight and be goons? Hell, our own Matt Cooke, GD, is as dirty of a player as they come. Does the concussion he gave Marc Savard ring a bell? Your actions on the ice speak to your character as well. Im a huge Cooke fan as a Pens fan, but this speaks for itself.

Click for Spoiler:

Click for Spoiler:
1k1i4Ddngg8

Quote:
As far as the physical side, hockey players have to be quick, strong, tough, durable, and skilled to be good players. Skating while controlling a small puck and getting an accurate shot on a relatively small net is a pretty damn diffiicult thing to do.
What you fail to mention here is that teams run with lines of 40-60 second shgifts. So while they're getting constant breaks, the same 5 are out on the court in basketball the majority of the time. They only have to be the things you listed for short periods of time, while NBA players must sustain these traits you listed for long periods of time.

Last edited by LSN80 : 01-31-2011 at 10:18 PM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote