WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News
Loading...


Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > Non-Wrestling Archives > Sports Debater's League
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-15-2011, 06:49 PM
klunderbunker's Avatar
klunderbunker klunderbunker is offline
More Comfortable with the Seesawing
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lexington, Kentucky
Posts: 17,768
klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...
Default Topic #4, Group #2: Olympics vs. World Cup

This thread is to be used by those in Group #2 (see the stickied thread for rosters if you're unsure of where you are). Any other posts in here will be flagged for spam and deleted. You have four days from the time this is posted to post (as in the time this is posted on Wednesday, which is approximately when the new topic will go up. Note that I mean 96 hours after MY initial post, not the lead off debater.) your arguments, rebuttals and anything else you want. Best overall debater in that time period receives 10 points, second receives 9, third receives 8, all others receive 7.

Hitting Lead-Off in this debate is newc868. He has 24 hours to reply and if he doesn't then it's open season.

Again: 4 days, best overall poster gets first place points.

Topic: Which event means more to the world: the Summer Olympics or the Soccer/Football World Cup?

Scores will be posted as soon as the three judges give their scores.

Go.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker
Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker
I am
Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker
in fact
Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker
better than you.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-16-2011, 05:26 PM
newc868's Avatar
newc868 newc868 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 188
newc868 is looking to come up from OCW...newc868 is looking to come up from OCW...newc868 is looking to come up from OCW...newc868 is looking to come up from OCW...newc868 is looking to come up from OCW...newc868 is looking to come up from OCW...newc868 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

The Summer Olympics and the FIFA World Cup. By recognition they're the world's biggest International Sporting events. Countries seemingly fight for the right to host these major events, pumping billions into them, in an attempt to create a spectacle that the world will behold.

So which one of these events matters more to the near 7 billion human beings on earth? I'm debating that the Olympics matters more than the World Cup.

The Summer Olympics as a whole, unites the world together in showcasing those with the best athletic ability in a whole host of sports - not just one. In the case of the Olympics, there's more that makes you want to watch, more that makes you feel a part of it all.

How can I say this? Well at the 2008 Olympics 204 recognised National Olympic Committees (NOC) had sent an athlete to the Olympics. There are currently 205 total. Only one country didn't send an athlete to the most recent Olympics. Before that, in 2004, at the Athens Olympics - every single nation with a NOC sent an athlete to compete.

Compare this with 32 national teams you have competing at the FIFA World Cup finals, you can't seemingly compare the events inclusiveness because the Olympics massively outnumbers the World Cup. Although, if you look at the World Cup qualification stages and the amount of teams internationally recognised by FIFA, there are 3 more countries included under FIFA.

Football is arguably the world's biggest sport and with over 700 million watching the 2006 World Cup final where Italy defeated France - it really something that draws in the crowds but this is one match. One match out of 64 at the World Cup, needless to say it's the biggest single match in the sporting world, but it's just one match.

But it's the Olympics with it's inclusiveness, the Olympics that brings together entire nations to back single athletes in a series of heats to try and reach the finals, to grab a medal whether it's gold, silver or bronze - this brings together an entire nation. You look at nations like Jamaica who don't have the greatest footballing side but they do have some of the best sprinters in the world in Asafa Powell and Usain Bolt. Together these two have raised the bar of the sprinting event, especially Bolt, and have tackled the long held dominance have ushered in a new era for sprinting alone.

However, it's not just the sprints, it's the entire spectrum of the sports. Not one nation can win gold in everything, sure there a few nations that excel more than others at multitude of sports whether it's because of they have a larger pool of athletes to select from or better funding for equipment or sports science, they can't dominate the Olympics. Sure they can win a lot of medals but they won't win them all and that's where the inclusiveness of the Olympics trumps that of the World Cup.

One team gets to win the World Cup. One team gets to walk away victorious. At the Olympics there's a different feel because you as a nation, there's a better chance of getting a medal, some reward from it all. The runners-up and the 3rd places at the World Cup won't get the same treatment back home as someone whose won a bronze in the Decathlon.

As for the history of the Olympics - there are ties and links to the Olympics all the way back to Ancient Greece. By comparison, the World Cup was started in 1930 and is relatively infantile compared to the Olympics. This can even be seen in the size of the Olympics. The Olympics broadcasts 14 hours of sport for two weeks whereas the World Cup does 64 games over a period of 4 weeks. The Olympics dwarfs all competitors when it comes down to the size of it - something that shows that it means a lot more than any other sporting competition, not just the FIFA World Cup.

I will finish with two examples that go to show why the World Cup doesn't mean as much as the Olympics.
The response from Britain when we won the Olympic bid. There were thousands more people lining up in the streets of London to celebrate the successful bid on July 6th 2005 - a date that has gone down in history here because of it's effect on sports policy. When we were up for the recent 2022 World Cup bid, there weren't nearly as many there and maybe the media played an influence by suggesting we wouldn't get it but still - winning the Olympics was a lot better than winning the FIFA World Cup.

Finally, if people didn't think the Olympics mattered that much - just look at the Opening and Closing ceremony. China wanted to put on such a show that they admitted to faking certain things so it looked a lot more impressive - when has that ever been seen at the World Cup?

Ok let's start this thing!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
AJ... Tiny girl, juicy ass. It just doesn't make sense but I don't fucking care.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-16-2011, 05:52 PM
LSN80's Avatar
LSN80 LSN80 is offline
Registered User
United States Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 2,680
LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...
Default

I couldnt agree with you more, Newc.

The Olympics is the greatest sporting event in the world, bar none. When put up against the FIFA World Cup, there is no contest. While there is no doubt that the World Cup is a great event, it pales in comparison to the Olympics. In breaking down the two events, I'll show why the Olympics mean more to the World then the World Cup.

National Exposure:


With all due respect to the World Cup, the Olympics are the true World Event. While only 32 nations take part in the World Cup, over 200 take part in the Summer Olympics alone. I understand the argument that one may make that these 32 nations are chosen through extensive qualifiers, and hence provide for strong competition. But in doing so, it also reduces the national exposure of the competition. Teams that do not qualify for the final 32 are essentially non-entities.

Because of this, the World Cup becomes just another event for most people. The rabid fans of those 32 countries are enticed, but it pales in comparison to the 200 nations that participate every four years in the Summer Olympics. Some countries, such as Australia, only began competing in the World Cup in 2002. In allowing so many nations to compete, the Summer Olympics keeps its universal appeal. Its nationalism is clear, symbolised by the five intertwining Olympic rings. This is a representation of the five parts of the world dedicated to the Olympic spirit of cooperation and healthy competition.

Greater Appeal:

Most likely, soccer is the most popular sport in the world, and the World Cup is the pinnacle of the sport. That being said, it's only one sport. What of those who have no interest whatsoever in soccer? From basketball, baseball, and volleyball to wrestling, judo, and archery, there's something for everyone, of all countries, in the Summer Olympics. If you are a soccer fan, you can see that at the Olympics too. The Summer Olympics provides a variety of sports that appeals to all, while the World Cup appeals to just one demographic, the soccer fan. That soccer fan can watch his sport at the Summer Olympics as well, so there's no real question that the Summer Olympics offer a greater universal appeal then the World Cup does. There's over 200 events at the Summer Olympics alone. The competition is there as well, as there are qualifiers and knockout rounds in the olympics, as well as team sports. For those who enjoy seeing individual achievements, there are plenty of those as well offerred in the forms of wrestling, boxing, cycling, and wrestling. The Olympics covers all its bases in terms of truly offerring "something for everyone." The World Cup does not.

Historical Roots and Diversity:

The Summer Olympics has ties that date back to ancient Greece. The modern Summer Olympics were founded in 1894 by Pierre de Coubetin, who was attempting to use sporting events to promote international understanding and bridge divides between nations. The World Cup, for all its greatness, was founded in 1930 simply for the sake of competition.

Even in doing that, of the nineteen times the Cup has been held, Brazil has won 8 times. In comparison, the only country to have won a gold medal at every Summer Olympic event has been Great Britain. This simply allows for a parity that the World Cup doesn't afford, which again shows that the event means more to the world then the World Cup does. The tradition and reasoning behind the games itself gives it a wider universal appeal then the World Cup does.

Size and Visability:

While the World Cup runs four weeks as compared to just three weeks for the Summer Olympics, the World Cup offers only 64 games over 4 weeks. This averages out to just over 2 games, per day. As for the Summer Olympics, they have over 15 hours a day of continuous coverage. It's easy to miss a World Cup game due to work or life. But in the 2008 Summer Olympics, there were 305 events that took place over it's 18 days, involving 10,500 athletes. It's hard to miss an event your country is involved in due to the massive coverage provided by the various media outlets that cover the Olympics. There's no question that the Olympics provide more comprehensive visability across the globe then the World Cup does as well.

Conclusion:

There's no question that the World Cup is a great event. Soccer is arguably the most popular sport in the World, so for those 32 countries who survive the rigorous qualifiers that are in place for the event, there's true national pride. But it's such a limited pool of exposure as compared to the Summer Olympics. With over 10,000 athletes, 300 events, and 200 countries represented, there's a far greater national appeal for the Summer Olympics then there is for the World Cup. The appeal of the Olympics is also far more obvious then the World Cup as well due to the diversity of the events that are offerred. The roots and diversity that the Summer Olympics offer truly provides more tradition and pride for the nations involved, and the size and visibility give it a greater global appeal as well. Because of these reasons, there's no questions that the Summer Olympics means more to the world on a global scale then the World Cup does.
__________________
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-16-2011, 06:04 PM
gd's Avatar
gd gd is offline
Plump, Juicy User
United States Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Age: 18
Posts: 2,716
gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...gd is a United States Champion...
Default

Once again, great to see the incorrect choice from my opponents that get to choose before me. To me, there is no question that the World Cup is the much more meaningful event.

Let's start out by showing how some of young Bradley's points aren't as good as my points.

There may have been 200+ countries represented in the Olympics, but of those, 118 did not win a single medal and 75% of countries won no more than 2. Sure, a lot of countires may be represented, but most of them make no impact at all. I mean just because someone from Moldova wins a bronze in the discus does that really equate to something meaningful?

You also mention that soccer is arguably the world's biggest sport, which is false. There is no argument. It is the world's biggest sport without question. Having one of the best sport out there is far more meaningful than having a bench of sports that most people don't care about like rowing or synchronized swimming.

"But the Olympics has so much history!", some may say. Who cares? It really doesn't matter to me or anyone else that the Greeks started doing something hundreds or years ago while the World Cup is more recent. That'd be like arguing black and white TV is better than color because it's older. Just a silly argument.

Overall, while the World Cup may be defined by only 1 sport, it is the biggest and best. The event is so huge that many Americans, even those such as myself who are barely casual soccer fans, become glued to the action. Off the top of your head, who won the last 2 Olympics? I'm sure you don't know. What about the World Cup? Did it take you more than 2 seconds to think of Spain and Italy?

Bottomline, quality over quantity. There is much more quality (soccer announcer pun) in the World Cup.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by hyourinmaru View Post
it's a prestarted family. My Girlfriend has a 3 year old
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-16-2011, 06:05 PM
Megatron's Avatar
Megatron Megatron is offline
Justin Verlander > You
WWE Women's Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 887
Megatron worked a dark match on ECW recently...Megatron worked a dark match on ECW recently...Megatron worked a dark match on ECW recently...Megatron worked a dark match on ECW recently...Megatron worked a dark match on ECW recently...Megatron worked a dark match on ECW recently...Megatron worked a dark match on ECW recently...Megatron worked a dark match on ECW recently...Megatron worked a dark match on ECW recently...Megatron worked a dark match on ECW recently...Megatron worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Default

Both the Summer Olympics and World Cup are the two biggest worldwide events that occur in the world of sports. Both also share some similarities:

-Played in the Summer (duh)
-Played every 4 years
-Many countries are involved
-Many never before seen athletes make their name

However, when looking at the question at hand, 'Which event means more to the world?' there's only one right answer. And it's not even close. The Summer Olympics, by far, mean more to the world. Why? Welll...

It includes many different sports, and isn't just focused on one sport. While the World Cup features the most popular sport nationally, not every country is soccer crazy. Some don't have enough athletes to support team sports like that, so they might not be as emotionally invested. Plus, the Olympics had a 16 team soccer tournament anyways to crown a medal winner. It's not like it's included out of the games.

Many countries can achieve some type of success. There's many events to achieve medals in, so that gives many smaller countries reason to watch the games. In the World Cup only 3 countries (out of 32 total) get rewarded with a medal. In the Olympics, there's 302 chances for Gold medals ALONE, not including Silver and Bronze. Sure, there's going to be some events that people don't remember, but if you see a fellow countrymen in an event, there's a higher chance that you're gonna be interested in watching it.

More countries are involved. If more countries are involved, there's a greater chance of people around the world caring for it. Here's a map of all of the countries involved in the 08 Olympics:

Click for Spoiler:


(Taken from 08 Olympics results)

Yeah, pretty much 99.9% of the entire world is involved in the Olympics in at least one sport. Which, in turns, provides more value and importance to the world since their country is represented.

Click for Spoiler:


(Taken from 2010 World Cup; Note: Blue = participated. Yellow = DNQ)

You look here, the World cup was heavily dominated by European and South American countries. Why should countries from Asia or anyone from Africa (except South Africa, who was only there because they were the host country) even bother to watch when their country isn't represented? Especially since they don't have a variety of sports to choose from. There's soccer, and that's it.

It's been around longer. The Olympics first started in 1896, giving them over 30 years of history on the World Cup, which started in 1930. It has more prestige, memorable moments, and relevance to the world because of the large amount of countries involved.

While people may argue that the 2010 World Cup had roughly 26 billion people viewing it to only 4.7 billion for the 08 Olympics, they should consider the fact that the coverage worldwide for the Olympics wasn't as easily accessible and that in the past two years technology has improved where watching matches on your phone/computer isn't as difficult as it once was, which = more viewers.
__________________

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-16-2011, 07:00 PM
LSN80's Avatar
LSN80 LSN80 is offline
Registered User
United States Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 2,680
LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Disarray View Post
There may have been 200+ countries represented in the Olympics, but of those, 118 did not win a single medal and 75% of countries won no more than 2. Sure, a lot of countires may be represented, but most of them make no impact at all. I mean just because someone from Moldova wins a bronze in the discus does that really equate to something meaningful?
Actually, it does. Because to that country, they've never seen anything like that bronze before. The Olympics were started to allow said countries the chance to compete, something the World Cup simply doesn't provide. For most of those 200+ countries that you so casually dismiss, only 77 of them have ever played in the World Cup. So the Olympics allow them to take their talents to a bigger stage, something that the World Cup simply doesn't afford.

Quote:
You also mention that soccer is arguably the world's biggest sport, which is false. There is no argument. It is the world's biggest sport without question. Having one of the best sport out there is far more meaningful than having a bench of sports that most people don't care about like rowing or synchronized swimming.
What you fail to mention here is that the Olympics offer the very same sport that the World Cup offers. So along with offerring said sport, they also offer sports that appeal to a vast array of individuals. In the same way that I don't care about soccer, there are people who care about the sports that you mentioned. The flaw in the argument you presented is that while those sports may not be popular, there are plenty of sports, on top of soccer, that are popular worldwide and in the Olympics. Just a few include basketball, baseball, and tennis, and wrestling.

Quote:
"But the Olympics has so much history!", some may say. Who cares? It really doesn't matter to me or anyone else that the Greeks started doing something hundreds or years ago while the World Cup is more recent. That'd be like arguing black and white TV is better than color because it's older. Just a silly argument.
Again, another flawed argument. Because unlike the black and white TV, the Summer Olympics are still as popular as ever. The events within the Summer Olympics have either been maintained or re-invented over time, something that can't be said for the World Cup. While the number of teams included were changed in 1982 to 24 teams and 32 in 1998, that's hardly an all-inclusive format. Because those changes were just made recently, it furthers my argument that its tradition and worth pale in comparison to the history of the Summer Olympics to the vast majority across the world.


Quote:
Overall, while the World Cup may be defined by only 1 sport, it is the biggest and best. The event is so huge that many Americans, even those such as myself who are barely casual soccer fans, become glued to the action. Off the top of your head, who won the last 2 Olympics? I'm sure you don't know. What about the World Cup? Did it take you more than 2 seconds to think of Spain and Italy?
It may be the biggest and best, but its still offerred within the Summer Olympics as well. Not to mention that only 8 teams in the history of the World Cup(dating to 1930) have won the tournament, with Brazil winning it five times. There's simply no parity involved within the World Cup, which lessens its relevance in comparison to the nations that have won gold, silver, and bronze at each and any Summer Olympics. 98 countries, total, medaled at the last Summer Olympics. Thats approximately half. And further, it took me no time at all to recall that the United States has won the last two Summer Olympics. Before you mentioned it, I had no idea whatsoever who won the last two World Cups.

The fact of the matter is, this isn't about which event provides more quality, per se, its about which is more meaningful to the world. And for those 200+ countries that get to participate while taking into consideration half of those medaled at the most recent event, it's easy to see why the Summer Olympics holds more worth to the World then the World Cup ever could.
__________________
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-16-2011, 08:10 PM
newc868's Avatar
newc868 newc868 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 188
newc868 is looking to come up from OCW...newc868 is looking to come up from OCW...newc868 is looking to come up from OCW...newc868 is looking to come up from OCW...newc868 is looking to come up from OCW...newc868 is looking to come up from OCW...newc868 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Disarray View Post
Once again, great to see the incorrect choice from my opponents that get to choose before me. To me, there is no question that the World Cup is the much more meaningful event.

Let's start out by showing how some of young Bradley's points aren't as good as my points.
I look forward to it but I feel you're just playing devil's advocate here.

Quote:
There may have been 200+ countries represented in the Olympics, but of those, 118 did not win a single medal and 75% of countries won no more than 2. Sure, a lot of countires may be represented, but most of them make no impact at all. I mean just because someone from Moldova wins a bronze in the discus does that really equate to something meaningful?
118 countries won a medal. 118 countries have someone they can look up to. 118 countries having a sporting hero from the Olympics. When will you see a team like Azerbaijan or Mongolia be able to achieve anything like winning the World Cup? Not likely to be anytime soon but the Olympics allow for the opportunity - hence why the Olympics means more to the world.

Quote:
You also mention that soccer is arguably the world's biggest sport, which is false. There is no argument. It is the world's biggest sport without question. Having one of the best sport out there is far more meaningful than having a bench of sports that most people don't care about like rowing or synchronized swimming.
The world's biggest sport - yes. However, football is on offer at the Olympics, just in a more watered down version that bar a couple players, they have to be under-23. This is how football and FIFA try to make themselves bigger than the Olympics. If I'm right, FIFA aren't very welcoming towards the IOC because the footballing event at the Olympics encroaches upon the World Cup. It's fair to say that football at the Olympics clashes with contemporary football because you won't see a team like England in the Olympics because they compete under Great Britain - which is where some of FIFA's disdain comes into it.

Quote:
"But the Olympics has so much history!", some may say. Who cares? It really doesn't matter to me or anyone else that the Greeks started doing something hundreds or years ago while the World Cup is more recent. That'd be like arguing black and white TV is better than color because it's older. Just a silly argument.
This said - the Olympics in it's current format only began in 1896 in Athens. 34 years difference which is almost insignificant in the overall predicted timeline of this planet.

Quote:
Overall, while the World Cup may be defined by only 1 sport, it is the biggest and best. The event is so huge that many Americans, even those such as myself who are barely casual soccer fans, become glued to the action. Off the top of your head, who won the last 2 Olympics? I'm sure you don't know. What about the World Cup? Did it take you more than 2 seconds to think of Spain and Italy?

Bottomline, quality over quantity. There is much more quality (soccer announcer pun) in the World Cup.
The World Cup is a major event but it doesn't mean as much to the world as the Olympics does - and that's what the debate clearly outlines. What means more? And by far it has to be the Olympics otherwise you wouldn't see such furore over the amount of spending or in Britain's case cuts made to Olympic based spending.

By the way the 'winners' of the Olympics -
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
AJ... Tiny girl, juicy ass. It just doesn't make sense but I don't fucking care.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-16-2011, 08:42 PM
newc868's Avatar
newc868 newc868 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 188
newc868 is looking to come up from OCW...newc868 is looking to come up from OCW...newc868 is looking to come up from OCW...newc868 is looking to come up from OCW...newc868 is looking to come up from OCW...newc868 is looking to come up from OCW...newc868 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

'winners' of the Olympic - China and the USA.

The USA got the most medals in 2008 but China had the most golds and that's the criteria, so China were the winners.

I accidently cut that part off.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
AJ... Tiny girl, juicy ass. It just doesn't make sense but I don't fucking care.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-16-2011, 10:11 PM
Little Jerry Lawler's Avatar
Little Jerry Lawler Little Jerry Lawler is offline
Sigmund Freud On Ritalin And Roids
TNA Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mississippi
Age: 29
Posts: 3,809
Little Jerry Lawler is getting phone calls from TNA...Little Jerry Lawler is getting phone calls from TNA...Little Jerry Lawler is getting phone calls from TNA...Little Jerry Lawler is getting phone calls from TNA...Little Jerry Lawler is getting phone calls from TNA...Little Jerry Lawler is getting phone calls from TNA...Little Jerry Lawler is getting phone calls from TNA...Little Jerry Lawler is getting phone calls from TNA...Little Jerry Lawler is getting phone calls from TNA...Little Jerry Lawler is getting phone calls from TNA...Little Jerry Lawler is getting phone calls from TNA...
Send a message via AIM to Little Jerry Lawler Send a message via MSN to Little Jerry Lawler
Default

The World Cup means more than the Olympics. Just because one involves more countries than the other, it doesn't mean it means more. With the World Cup, you have nations competing in a sport which most consider is the "world's sport" in soccer.

In all sports, the one thing a team wants the most is to win their respective championship to claim bragging rights. It happens in basketball, baseball, football, etc. Do you see countries bragging about who won the most medals? Fans fight and start deadly brawls at soccer games because they have pride for even league teams. Picture the pride they have for an entire country.



Quote:
Originally Posted by LSN80 View Post
I couldnt agree with you more, Newc.

The Olympics is the greatest sporting event in the world, bar none. When put up against the FIFA World Cup, there is no contest. While there is no doubt that the World Cup is a great event, it pales in comparison to the Olympics. In breaking down the two events, I'll show why the Olympics mean more to the World then the World Cup.

National Exposure:


With all due respect to the World Cup, the Olympics are the true World Event. While only 32 nations take part in the World Cup, over 200 take part in the Summer Olympics alone. I understand the argument that one may make that these 32 nations are chosen through extensive qualifiers, and hence provide for strong competition. But in doing so, it also reduces the national exposure of the competition. Teams that do not qualify for the final 32 are essentially non-entities.

Because of this, the World Cup becomes just another event for most people. The rabid fans of those 32 countries are enticed, but it pales in comparison to the 200 nations that participate every four years in the Summer Olympics. Some countries, such as Australia, only began competing in the World Cup in 2002. In allowing so many nations to compete, the Summer Olympics keeps its universal appeal. Its nationalism is clear, symbolised by the five intertwining Olympic rings. This is a representation of the five parts of the world dedicated to the Olympic spirit of cooperation and healthy competition.
So because more nations participate in the Olympics in the World Cup, the Olympics mean more? That's like discounting the NFL playoffs because only 12 teams participate each year while the objective of 32 teams is to reach the Super Bowl? 205 teams had a chance to qualify for the World Cup so throughout the world, you had the smallest of countries fighting hard to get to the World Cup because it meant so much to them and their country.





Quote:
Greater Appeal:

Most likely, soccer is the most popular sport in the world, and the World Cup is the pinnacle of the sport. That being said, it's only one sport. What of those who have no interest whatsoever in soccer? From basketball, baseball, and volleyball to wrestling, judo, and archery, there's something for everyone, of all countries, in the Summer Olympics. If you are a soccer fan, you can see that at the Olympics too. The Summer Olympics provides a variety of sports that appeals to all, while the World Cup appeals to just one demographic, the soccer fan. That soccer fan can watch his sport at the Summer Olympics as well, so there's no real question that the Summer Olympics offer a greater universal appeal then the World Cup does. There's over 200 events at the Summer Olympics alone. The competition is there as well, as there are qualifiers and knockout rounds in the olympics, as well as team sports. For those who enjoy seeing individual achievements, there are plenty of those as well offerred in the forms of wrestling, boxing, cycling, and wrestling. The Olympics covers all its bases in terms of truly offerring "something for everyone." The World Cup does not.
Soccer is the most popular in the world which means more people and more countries watch it than other sport. The Olympics may have more sports but can you name one individual sport that carries just as meaning around the world than soccer does?

Quote:
Historical Roots and Diversity:

The Summer Olympics has ties that date back to ancient Greece. The modern Summer Olympics were founded in 1894 by Pierre de Coubetin, who was attempting to use sporting events to promote international understanding and bridge divides between nations. The World Cup, for all its greatness, was founded in 1930 simply for the sake of competition.

Even in doing that, of the nineteen times the Cup has been held, Brazil has won 8 times. In comparison, the only country to have won a gold medal at every Summer Olympic event has been Great Britain. This simply allows for a parity that the World Cup doesn't afford, which again shows that the event means more to the world then the World Cup does. The tradition and reasoning behind the games itself gives it a wider universal appeal then the World Cup does.
Parity is the biggest load of bullshit in sports today. The NBA was built off dynasties like the Celtics, Lakers, and Bulls. Same with MLB with the Yankees and the NFL with the Steelers, Cowboys, and 49ers. Those leagues were great because of dynasty and became better when teams became better to try to stop them.

And Brazil has won the World Cup only 5 times and only twice since 1970 so I don't see the lack of parity that you are claiming.

Quote:
Size and Visability:

While the World Cup runs four weeks as compared to just three weeks for the Summer Olympics, the World Cup offers only 64 games over 4 weeks. This averages out to just over 2 games, per day. As for the Summer Olympics, they have over 15 hours a day of continuous coverage. It's easy to miss a World Cup game due to work or life. But in the 2008 Summer Olympics, there were 305 events that took place over it's 18 days, involving 10,500 athletes. It's hard to miss an event your country is involved in due to the massive coverage provided by the various media outlets that cover the Olympics. There's no question that the Olympics provide more comprehensive visability across the globe then the World Cup does as well.
So it's harder to miss the Olympics when it runs for 15 hours a day? I hope you're joking about that one. There's this invention called VCR and DVR or whatever you call it. I'm sure if you a rabid Olympic fan, you would know what event you want to watch and what country you want to watch. After all, they run coverage 15 hours a day.

Quote:
Conclusion:

There's no question that the World Cup is a great event. Soccer is arguably the most popular sport in the World, so for those 32 countries who survive the rigorous qualifiers that are in place for the event, there's true national pride. But it's such a limited pool of exposure as compared to the Summer Olympics. With over 10,000 athletes, 300 events, and 200 countries represented, there's a far greater national appeal for the Summer Olympics then there is for the World Cup. The appeal of the Olympics is also far more obvious then the World Cup as well due to the diversity of the events that are offerred. The roots and diversity that the Summer Olympics offer truly provides more tradition and pride for the nations involved, and the size and visibility give it a greater global appeal as well. Because of these reasons, there's no questions that the Summer Olympics means more to the world on a global scale then the World Cup does.
There's true national pride in the countries they don't even make the World Cup. Soccer players get killed sometimes because their country didn't make the World Cup. There just as much as diversity in the World Cup as it is the Olympics. Who gets left out of the World Cup?

I'll leave you with that.
__________________
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-16-2011, 11:44 PM
LSN80's Avatar
LSN80 LSN80 is offline
Registered User
United States Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 2,680
LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy George Constanza View Post
In all sports, the one thing a team wants the most is to win their respective championship to claim bragging rights. It happens in basketball, baseball, football, etc. Do you see countries bragging about who won the most medals? Fans fight and start deadly brawls at soccer games because they have pride for even league teams. Picture the pride they have for an entire country.
So because people decide to act uncivilized, that somehow equates to meaning and pride? Somethings awfully skewed if that's the case. And yes, you do see countries brag about who won the most medals, as well as about their individual athletes. Its a rediculous argument that because people act uncivilized that somehow this equates to pride and attaches some sort of meaning.

But to placate your argument, look no further then the incident between Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding. The attack took place during a practice session for the 1994 U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Detroit. Harding's ex-husband, Jeff Gillooly, hired a goon named Shane Stant to break Kerrigan's right leg so that she would be unable to skate. Stant followed Kerrigan to Detroit after failing to find her at her training rink in Massachusetts, and struck her on the thigh a few inches above the knee with a collapsible police baton. Kerrigan's leg was only bruised, not broken, but the injury forced her to withdraw from the national championship, and prevent her selection from the 1994 Olympic team. Again, does that attach more meaning or pride to the sport because of her actions? On the converse, its disgraceful. There's no pride in the fans that riot, loot, and assault during the World Cup either, nor does it bring more meaning to the event.

A more recent example is the 2008 Olympics, where despite the presence of 10,000 troops and riot police, riots abounded following a soccer match between Japan and China. The same occurred after the USA-Canada gold medal hockey game in Vancouver in 2010. But to argue that rioting, assault, and murder equates to patriotism and meaning is a ludicrous statement. When my Pittsburgh Penguins won the Stanley Cup in 2009, people rioted in the streets. People use sporting events to justify this, but really, the sporting event is just an excuse for people to act like immature idiots. People riot when their teams win AND lose.

Quote:
So because more nations participate in the Olympics in the World Cup, the Olympics mean more? That's like discounting the NFL playoffs because only 12 teams participate each year while the objective of 32 teams is to reach the Super Bowl? 205 teams had a chance to qualify for the World Cup so throughout the world, you had the smallest of countries fighting hard to get to the World Cup because it meant so much to them and their country.

Your analogy holds little water here. All 32 of the NFL teams have an equal chance based upon the fact that they play, i dont know, 16 games a year? These NFL players are the best of the best. As for the World Cup, those 205 teams do indeed get the opportunity to fight for the chance to make the World Cup, but the playing field certainly isn't level. Can you say the same thing for a country, say Bhutam, that has to compete against a Brazil? Of course not. And for the record, only 31 countries get the opportunity to qualify, as the host country gets an automatic qualifier.


Quote:
Soccer is the most popular in the world which means more people and more countries watch it than other sport. The Olympics may have more sports but can you name one individual sport that carries just as meaning around the world than soccer does?
And as I stated earlier, soccer is also one of the events at the Summer Olympics. And it is the most watched sport in the world, but a close 2nd and 3rd are basketball and baseball. Here's the top list as provided by Sportingo.com.

Click for Spoiler:
Source: Sportingo.com
1. Soccer
2. Basketball
3. Baseball
4. Cricket
5. Rugby Union
6. Field Hockey
7. Volleyball
8. Ice Hockey
9. Football
10. Rugby League


What do seven of those, including soccer, have in common? They're all featured sports at the Summer Olympics. So not only do you get the top sport, you get the top seven. Only the bottom three aren't Summer Olympic sports. The sum of these, especially considering one is the same sport played at the World Cup, makes the Summer Olympics far more important to the World then the World Cup.

Quote:
Parity is the biggest load of bullshit in sports today. The NBA was built off dynasties like the Celtics, Lakers, and Bulls. Same with MLB with the Yankees and the NFL with the Steelers, Cowboys, and 49ers. Those leagues were great because of dynasty and became better when teams became better to try to stop them.
Spin it however you like, but let me use another Pittsburgh sports example.
PNC Park, the home of the Pittsburgh Pirates, opened in 2001. Great place, amazing atmosphere. But the place is half to three quarters empty for most games that don't involve Fireworks Night or Free Bobblehead Giveaways. Why? Because the team has had eighteen consecutive losing seasons. When there's no competition, people tend to stay away and tune out.

Senegal set the world ablaze in the 2002 World Cup with their enterprising play, and made it to the quarterfinals. Senegal quickly became everyone's second favorite team (or first if their team wasn't in the finals at all.) Senegal failed to qualify for the field this year, and noone noticed, except perhaps the population of Senegal. Why is this? Because noone cares about teams beyond the 32 nations that did qualify.

Quote:
And Brazil has won the World Cup only 5 times and only twice since 1970 so I don't see the lack of parity that you are claiming.
I corrected this in my next post. While Brazil has won 5 times, only 8 teams have won the World Cup since it's inception in 1930. So of the 77 teams that have competed in the World Cup since it's inception, only 8 have won it. That's less then 10%. There's the lack of parity I'm claiming.

Quote:
So it's harder to miss the Olympics when it runs for 15 hours a day? I hope you're joking about that one. There's this invention called VCR and DVR or whatever you call it. I'm sure if you a rabid Olympic fan, you would know what event you want to watch and what country you want to watch. After all, they run coverage 15 hours a day.
That wasn't my argument whatsoever. My argument was that the sheer size of the Olympics is evident in the amount of television coverage that it provides. With the Summer Olympics, there's something for the fan of individual accomplishments such as tennis, boxing and gymnastics, and for the fan of team sports such as basketball, baseball, softball, along with men's and women's soccer. There's far more events and participants for a country to feel prideful about in the Olympics then there is in the World Cup.

Quote:
There's true national pride in the countries they don't even make the World Cup. Soccer players get killed sometimes because their country didn't make the World Cup. There just as much as diversity in the World Cup as it is the Olympics. Who gets left out of the World Cup?
Only 77 teams across the World have ever qualified for the World Cup. That's since it's inception in 1930. 200+ countries send over 14,000 athletes to compete in the Olympics every four years. Id say that far more people get left out of the World Cup then do the Olympics. Even if a country sends only one or two participants, that's preferrable to the country that doesn't participate whatsoever, which obviously is the case in the World Cup. And again, soccer players being killed does not equate to national pride or attach a source of meaning, it's lunacy and idiocy. And as Ive showed, it happens in relation to the Olympics as well as the World Cup.
__________________
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"
Contact Us - Clear Cookies - Lost Password - WrestleZone Forums - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Top - AdChoices