WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News
Loading...


Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > Non-Wrestling Archives > Sports Debater's League
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-15-2011, 06:48 PM
klunderbunker's Avatar
klunderbunker klunderbunker is offline
More Comfortable with the Seesawing
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lexington, Kentucky
Posts: 17,770
klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...
Default Topic #4, Group #1: Olympics vs. World Cup

This thread is to be used by those in Group #1 (see the stickied thread for rosters if you're unsure of where you are). Any other posts in here will be flagged for spam and deleted. You have four days from the time this is posted to post (as in the time this is posted on Wednesday, which is approximately when the new topic will go up. Note that I mean 96 hours after MY initial post, not the lead off debater.) your arguments, rebuttals and anything else you want. Best overall debater in that time period receives 10 points, second receives 9, third receives 8, all others receive 7.

Hitting Lead-Off in this debate is Becker. He has 24 hours to reply and if he doesn't then it's open season.

Again: 4 days, best overall poster gets first place points.

Topic: Which event means more to the world: the Summer Olympics or the Soccer/Football World Cup?

Scores will be posted as soon as the three judges give their scores.

Go.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker
Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker
I am
Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker
in fact
Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker
better than you.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-16-2011, 07:23 PM
Big Sexy's Avatar
Big Sexy Big Sexy is offline
Deadly Rap Cannibal
King of the Ring
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Detroit
Age: 28
Posts: 3,212
Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...
Default

Open

This is by far the easiest choice of all the topics thus far. The Summer Olympics means far more then the World Cup. The Olympics have the history, far more countries are involved, and it's nearly impossible for viewers to not find at least one thing that they like.

World Cup Has No Major Positives Over the Olympics

The World Cup revolves all around the world's most popular sport, football/soccer. However, the Summer Olympics also include soccer/football. Not only that but unlike the World Cup, the Summer Olympics includes both men and women's football. Over 200 countries compete in the Olympics as opposed to just the 32 that compete in the World Cup. Like I said the world's most popular sport is included in the Summer Olympics, as is the second most popular sport of basketball which is much more competitive now then in the past. Tennis is another big international sport that is included in the Summer Olympics. I'll take an event that revolves around many of the world's most popular sports over an event that focuses on just one any day.
__________________
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Cena's Little Helper's Avatar
Cena's Little Helper Cena's Little Helper is offline
Registered User
WWE European Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The DMV
Posts: 1,889
Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...
Default

The FIFA World Cup means more to the world than the Summer Olympics. Two related reasons support this argument:

1) People are more passionate and responsive to World Cup football than they are to Olympic competition: You want proof? Look no further than the ceasefire brought about in Cote d'Ivoire as the result of the country's qualification for the 2006 World Cup. Furthermore, on the other end of the spectrum, look no further than the murder of Andre Escobar, a Colombian footballer gunned down in Medellín shortly after a critical defending mistake sent his team home in the 1994 World Cup.

No other sport in the world, individual or team, is as evocative as football. While the feeling of national pride that results from Olympic medals is nice, the possibility of a gold medal in archery or shot put is nowhere near as thrilling (or agonizing) as the possibility of bringing a World Cup back home. No Olympic event will ever be able to effect peace (and sometimes pointless violence) quite like World Cup football.

2) While football is an Olympic event, it is no way, shape, or form comparable to World Cup football: In International Olympic Committee lingo, football is a U23 (under-23) event, meaning that, with the exception of three players, any team that a country fields in football must consist of players aged 23 or under. While this does bring parity between developed and developing countries, it also results in inconsistent performance from some of the countries that usually dominate the international football scene (e.g., the Netherlands, Argentina, and Brazil). It should come as no surprise then that these restrictions have prevented Olympic football from becoming the pinnacle of the sport. Although some of the culpability for the relative unimportance of Olympic football lies within FIFA's attempts to limit its potential, the fact still remains that the amount of fan interest it garners is comparison to the World Cup is laughable.

To the majority of the world, nothing is more important than the World Cup. While the Summer Olympics are undoubtedly the more thorough of the two when it comes to the general celebration of sport, the World Cup is an equally sizable celebration that's more eventful, passionate, and enjoyable.
__________________
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-16-2011, 07:32 PM
I Suck Ass's Avatar
I Suck Ass I Suck Ass is offline
I survived the Rapture
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northwest Indiana
Age: 22
Posts: 172
I Suck Ass is looking to come up from OCW...I Suck Ass is looking to come up from OCW...I Suck Ass is looking to come up from OCW...I Suck Ass is looking to come up from OCW...I Suck Ass is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

This one's easy. Olympics by far. The Summer Olympics mean so much more to the world than the World Cup. Hell, the Summer Olympics even have soccer, and every country that has a team plays, not like the World Cup where there are only 32 teams. The Beijing Summer Olympics had 204 countries, even if some of them had one athlete. The World Cup is just one sport. The Olympics encompass all sports, and winning an event is the highest honor for an athlete. Winning the World Cup? Sure, it's great, but for a decent number of countries, it doesn't mean much. Winning an Olympic Medal for your country? You become famous. Even if it's for a little bit of time, you are still on top of the world. The Summer Olympics mean so much more to the world just because of how more encompassing they are.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Big Sexy's Avatar
Big Sexy Big Sexy is offline
Deadly Rap Cannibal
King of the Ring
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Detroit
Age: 28
Posts: 3,212
Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdigle View Post
[b]1) People are more passionate and responsive to World Cup football than they are to Olympic competition: You want proof? Look no further than the ceasefire brought about in Cote d'Ivoire as the result of the country's qualification for the 2006 World Cup. Furthermore, on the other end of the spectrum, look no further than the murder of Andre Escobar, a Colombian footballer gunned down in Medellín shortly after a critical defending mistake sent his team home in the 1994 World Cup.

No other sport in the world, individual or team, is as evocative as football. While the feeling of national pride that results from Olympic medals is nice, the possibility of a gold medal in archery or shot put is nowhere near as thrilling (or agonizing) as the possibility of bringing a World Cup back home. No Olympic event will ever be able to effect peace (and sometimes pointless violence) quite like World Cup football.
The question is which is more important to the World? The World Cup consists of just 32 countries while the Summer Olympics has over 200. How can the World Cup be more important to the world when maybe only 1/7 of the world is involved? There are obviously still football fans that watch the World Cup even without their country being involved but the importance of who wins and the effect the event has on the person just isn't the same. The Olympics gives the entire world at least something to root for and look forward to.

Quote:
2) While football is an Olympic event, it is no way, shape, or form comparable to World Cup football: In International Olympic Committee lingo, football is a U23 (under-23) event, meaning that, with the exception of three players, any team that a country fields in football must consist of players aged 23 or under. While this does bring parity between developed and developing countries, it also results in inconsistent performance from some of the countries that usually dominate the international football scene (e.g., the Netherlands, Argentina, and Brazil). It should come as no surprise then that these restrictions have prevented Olympic football from becoming the pinnacle of the sport. Although some of the culpability for the relative unimportance of Olympic football lies within FIFA's attempts to limit its potential, the fact still remains that the amount of fan interest it garners is comparison to the World Cup is laughable.
You are right that football in the Olympics isn't comparable to the World Cup as far as competition and fan attention goes but it is just one sport. It may be the most popular international sport but that doesn't mean that every country is a fan. Here in the US hardly anyone gives two shits about the game. There are an abundance of sports involved in the Olympics and it allows for everyone to be satisfied. If a country isn't big on football then there's the second most popular international sport, basketball. You also have tennis which is big around the world and you have all of the different track events etc...

While the World Cup is one dimensional and only allows for a handful of countries to really be emotionally invested, the Olympics offers something for everyone and gives every country the hope of bringing home a medal.
__________________
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Cena's Little Helper's Avatar
Cena's Little Helper Cena's Little Helper is offline
Registered User
WWE European Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The DMV
Posts: 1,889
Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sexy View Post
Open

This is by far the easiest choice of all the topics thus far. The Summer Olympics means far more then the World Cup. The Olympics have the history, far more countries are involved, and it's nearly impossible for viewers to not find at least one thing that they like.
History should have no bearing in this debate precisely because the World Cup absolutely decimates the Olympics in viewership. Full cumulative figures haven't been released for the 2010 World Cup yet, but FIFA alleges that the 2006 World Cup attracted a cumulative viewership of 26.29 billion people. Even if we cut this number by two-thirds (this report from The Independent argues that the 2006 World Cup final had only about a third of the audience FIFA claimed it attracted, so we'll be conservative here and reduce the cumulative viewership by a third as well), that's still a cumulative viewership almost twice as large as that of the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, the most-watched Olympic event ever.

The Summer Olympics might have something for everyone, but it's obvious that not everyone's watching.

Quote:
World Cup Has No Major Positives Over the Olympics

The World Cup revolves all around the world's most popular sport, football/soccer. However, the Summer Olympics also include soccer/football. Not only that but unlike the World Cup, the Summer Olympics includes both men and women's football.
This is about what's more important to the world, not which event fields teams for both sexes.

Quote:
Over 200 countries compete in the Olympics as opposed to just the 32 that compete in the World Cup.
Only 16 teams compete in football in the Olympics. Furthermore, while there are only 32 spots in the World Cup, 205 countries vied for them in the qualifying rounds leading up to the 2010 finals; that's one more country than the 204 represented at the 2008 Summer Olympics.

Quote:
Like I said the world's most popular sport is included in the Summer Olympics, as is the second most popular sport of basketball which is much more competitive now then in the past. Tennis is another big international sport that is included in the Summer Olympics. I'll take an event that revolves around many of the world's most popular sports over an event that focuses on just one any day.
I'm happy that you'd take the Olympics over the World Cup, but it's evident that the majority of sports fans around the world definitely do not agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahconstrictor View Post
This one's easy. Olympics by far. The Summer Olympics mean so much more to the world than the World Cup. Hell, the Summer Olympics even have soccer, and every country that has a team plays, not like the World Cup where there are only 32 teams. The Beijing Summer Olympics had 204 countries, even if some of them had one athlete. The World Cup is just one sport. The Olympics encompass all sports, and winning an event is the highest honor for an athlete. Winning the World Cup? Sure, it's great, but for a decent number of countries, it doesn't mean much. Winning an Olympic Medal for your country? You become famous. Even if it's for a little bit of time, you are still on top of the world. The Summer Olympics mean so much more to the world just because of how more encompassing they are.
Winning the World Cup doesn't mean much? I already stated in my opening post that the World Cup has both brought an end to and initiated violence of the worst kind. Please, give me some of what you're smoking, Noah. Also, I'd like a source on "every country that has a team plays."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sexy View Post
The question is which is more important to the World?
I know what the question is. I answered correctly: the World Cup is more important.

Quote:
The World Cup consists of just 32 countries while the Summer Olympics has over 200. How can the World Cup be more important to the world when maybe only 1/7 of the world is involved?
Because limited participation doesn't automatically disqualify an event from being important to the world. The Summer Olympics isn't more important to the world than the World Cup, it just has more world participation.

Quote:
There are obviously still football fans that watch the World Cup even without their country being involved but the importance of who wins and the effect the event has on the person just isn't the same.
The people of those countries who don't qualify shouldn't worry; I'm positive that the people of those countries who do qualify more than make up for their lack of enthusiasm with their own excessive jubilation.

Quote:
The Olympics gives the entire world at least something to root for and look forward to.
When you give me proof that the possibility of a gold medal can do as much for a country as the possibility of a World Cup, I'll debate this point.


Quote:
You are right that football in the Olympics isn't comparable to the World Cup as far as competition and fan attention goes but it is just one sport. It may be the most popular international sport but that doesn't mean that every country is a fan. Here in the US hardly anyone gives two shits about the game.
I think the viewership figures in my rebuttal to your opening argument handle this point quite nicely. Also, America's population comprises a little less than 5% of the world's population. This argument would hold weight if our country contained a significant minority of the world's population, but it doesn't. Even if we spend the most on sports per capita, our expenditures still pale in comparison to what the rest of the world spends on sports (especially association football).

Quote:
There are an abundance of sports involved in the Olympics and it allows for everyone to be satisfied. If a country isn't big on football then there's the second most popular international sport, basketball. You also have tennis which is big around the world and you have all of the different track events etc...
I already dealt with this point in my rebuttal to your opening argument. Even if there's something for everyone at the Summer Olympics, they obviously don't provide as much utility/benefit as association football does.

Quote:
While the World Cup is one dimensional and only allows for a handful of countries to really be emotionally invested, the Olympics offers something for everyone and gives every country the hope of bringing home a medal.
Again, medals mean very little relative to a World Cup and viewership figures indicate that the World Cup is of much more importance than the Summer Olympics.
__________________
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-17-2011, 03:36 AM
Big Sexy's Avatar
Big Sexy Big Sexy is offline
Deadly Rap Cannibal
King of the Ring
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Detroit
Age: 28
Posts: 3,212
Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdigle View Post
History should have no bearing in this debate precisely because the World Cup absolutely decimates the Olympics in viewership. Full cumulative figures haven't been released for the 2010 World Cup yet, but FIFA alleges that the 2006 World Cup attracted a cumulative viewership of 26.29 billion people. Even if we cut this number by two-thirds (this report from The Independent argues that the 2006 World Cup final had only about a third of the audience FIFA claimed it attracted, so we'll be conservative here and reduce the cumulative viewership by a third as well), that's still a cumulative viewership almost twice as large as that of the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, the most-watched Olympic event ever.
First of all the World Cup is a month long while the Summer Olympics only lasts two weeks so you're comparing a cumulative viewership of two events that are not of equal length. Secondly with as many sports as the Olympics has there is going to be a lot of them that people have less interest in. I doubt many people worldwide were tuning in to watch archery or water polo and that will negatively affect the ratings.

For this argument it'd be more relevant to compare two big events within each competition. Let's compare the World Cup final from 2006 to the opening ceremony of the 2008 Summer Olympics. The World Cup Final in 2006 was estimated by FIFA at 715 million viewers and estimated at 260 million by IPG media agency. The worldwide viewership for the Summer Olympics opening ceremony in 2008 was between 1 and 4 billion, much more then the World Cup final.

Quote:
Only 16 teams compete in football in the Olympics. Furthermore, while there are only 32 spots in the World Cup, 205 countries vied for them in the qualifying rounds leading up to the 2010 finals; that's one more country than the 204 represented at the 2008 Summer Olympics.
And qualifying for the World Cup isn't the World Cup. If a country failed to qualify then they were obviously not part of the actual tournament which is what we are talking about.

Quote:
I'm happy that you'd take the Olympics over the World Cup, but it's evident that the majority of sports fans around the world definitely do not agree with you.
How exactly is that evident when more people around the world watched the opening ceremony for the Summer Olympics over the World Cup Final?

Quote:
Because limited participation doesn't automatically disqualify an event from being important to the world. The Summer Olympics isn't more important to the world than the World Cup, it just has more world participation.
No one said the World Cup wasn't important. Just not as important as the Olympics.

Quote:
When you give me proof that the possibility of a gold medal can do as much for a country as the possibility of a World Cup, I'll debate this point.
The possibility for a World Cup really isn't there for the majority of these countries. Only 8 countries have been able to win the World Cup in its 19 occurrences and only 24 countries have even been able to finish in the top 4. In the 2008 Summer Olympics alone 53 different countries won Gold Medals. The World Cup is basically an impossibility for most countries while an Olympic Gold Medal is very possible and something that could bring a lot of pride to a country.

Quote:
I think the viewership figures in my rebuttal to your opening argument handle this point quite nicely.
Not really as I've already pointed out major holes in that argument.
Quote:
Also, America's population comprises a little less than 5% of the world's population. This argument would hold weight if our country contained a significant minority of the world's population, but it doesn't. Even if we spend the most on sports per capita, our expenditures still pale in comparison to what the rest of the world spends on sports (especially association football).
I know America's population is nothing to the world as a whole. I was just using the country as an example of not every single country loving soccer.

Quote:
Again, medals mean very little relative to a World Cup and viewership figures indicate that the World Cup is of much more importance than the Summer Olympics.
Medals are a realistic goal for a country as opposed to the near impossibility of most countries winning the World Cup and again, your viewership argument is very flawed as I've already pointed out.
__________________
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-17-2011, 03:51 PM
Cena's Little Helper's Avatar
Cena's Little Helper Cena's Little Helper is offline
Registered User
WWE European Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The DMV
Posts: 1,889
Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sexy View Post
First of all the World Cup is a month long while the Summer Olympics only lasts two weeks so you're comparing a cumulative viewership of two events that are not of equal length. Secondly with as many sports as the Olympics has there is going to be a lot of them that people have less interest in. I doubt many people worldwide were tuning in to watch archery or water polo and that will negatively affect the ratings.
The World Cup spans over a month of time but it has nowhere near the number of televised hours that the Olympics has. In total, there are 64 World Cup matches played. Games last for 90 minutes and we'll be liberal here and say that half-time breaks last 30 minutes. That leaves us with 128 hours of televised play over a month. The Summer Olympics fit that many hours into a week. Granted, a majority of people aren't going to be able or want to stay glued to their television sets for the majority of the Olympics, but there's absolutely no problem with comparing cumulative viewership between these two events. Also, your point about no one wanting to watch archery or water polo works for my argument instead of yours: the World Cup is dedicated to a sport people are passionate about; the Olympics are definitely not.

Quote:
For this argument it'd be more relevant to compare two big events within each competition. Let's compare the World Cup final from 2006 to the opening ceremony of the 2008 Summer Olympics. The World Cup Final in 2006 was estimated by FIFA at 715 million viewers and estimated at 260 million by IPG media agency. The worldwide viewership for the Summer Olympics opening ceremony in 2008 was between 1 and 4 billion, much more then the World Cup final.
So, you're comparing a televised event in which no sport is played to one where sport is actually played? This actually weakens your argument because it hints at people not really caring about actual Olympic competition, just the opening ceremony. Even if the 2008 Beijing Olympics opening ceremony is the most-watched event ever, you still have no proof for the Olympics' ability to gain consistent ratings. If the opening ceremony actually did draw 4 billion people, that leaves it with only a cumulative viewership of 700 million for the duration of the rest of the Olympics; this just further goes to show how little people care about the Olympics relative to the World Cup.


Quote:
And qualifying for the World Cup isn't the World Cup. If a country failed to qualify then they were obviously not part of the actual tournament which is what we are talking about.
No, attempts to qualify most certainly do count as caring about an event. If people cared little about the World Cup, then only a small portion of the world's countries would try to field a team. Furthermore, the viewership figures I have cited show that people care about the World Cup even if their national team doesn't make the cut.


Quote:
How exactly is that evident when more people around the world watched the opening ceremony for the Summer Olympics over the World Cup Final?
Because the opening ceremony doesn't actually show anyone in competition?


Quote:
No one said the World Cup wasn't important. Just not as important as the Olympics.
If you want to keep on believing that, go right ahead.


Quote:
The possibility for a World Cup really isn't there for the majority of these countries. Only 8 countries have been able to win the World Cup in its 19 occurrences and only 24 countries have even been able to finish in the top 4. In the 2008 Summer Olympics alone 53 different countries won Gold Medals. The World Cup is basically an impossibility for most countries while an Olympic Gold Medal is very possible and something that could bring a lot of pride to a country.
Yet almost every single country in the world tries to field a team in the World Cup every four years. Furthermore, 76 countries have been represented in the World Cup since its inception, so that's definitely more representation than your citations would lead someone to believe.

Also, the fact that almost every country tries to make the World Cup every 4 years shows how little feasibility matters when they think of what's most important to them. The finances needed to field a football team may be staggering and the chances of making it to the World Cup may be minuscule for many countries, but that still doesn't stop them from potentially realizing their hopes of making it to the most important sporting event in the world.


Quote:
Not really as I've already pointed out major holes in that argument.
Yeah, you've shown that one segment of the Olympics that included no competition and that only accounted for a small portion of its total televised hours was the most-watched television event ever. Try to find one competitive event from the 2008 Olympics that rivaled the viewership of any World Cup match from either 2006 of 2010.


Quote:
I know America's population is nothing to the world as a whole. I was just using the country as an example of not every single country loving soccer.
So? What does this have to do with the debate at hand? The world does not equal America. This is about which sporting event the world cares about the most, not about which sporting event the majority of America could care less about.

Quote:
Medals are a realistic goal for a country as opposed to the near impossibility of most countries winning the World Cup and again, your viewership argument is very flawed as I've already pointed out.
It's not flawed at all. If anything's flawed, it's your argument that a non-competitive, televised event definitively proves that people care more about the Olympic games than the World Cup. I stress "games" here because none of them actually took place during the televised event that you're clinging so tightly on to.
__________________
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-18-2011, 12:32 AM
Big Sexy's Avatar
Big Sexy Big Sexy is offline
Deadly Rap Cannibal
King of the Ring
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Detroit
Age: 28
Posts: 3,212
Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...Big Sexy is going to make some noise in the draft...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdigle View Post
The World Cup spans over a month of time but it has nowhere near the number of televised hours that the Olympics has. In total, there are 64 World Cup matches played. Games last for 90 minutes and we'll be liberal here and say that half-time breaks last 30 minutes. That leaves us with 128 hours of televised play over a month. The Summer Olympics fit that many hours into a week. Granted, a majority of people aren't going to be able or want to stay glued to their television sets for the majority of the Olympics, but there's absolutely no problem with comparing cumulative viewership between these two events. Also, your point about no one wanting to watch archery or water polo works for my argument instead of yours: the World Cup is dedicated to a sport people are passionate about; the Olympics are definitely not.
You said it yourself, no one can watch round the clock Olympic coverage. The World Cup has the advantage of having set times for each game that is very easy to follow and everyone knows when each game is on. It's nearly impossible to follow all of the Olympic coverage and the schedule they have. People tune in to the Olympic events that they want to see.

And no the archery point doesn't work for your argument because there is still someone around the world that does like to watch the sport. Like I said the Olympics has something for everyone the World Cup is revolved around one thing. Do most people around the world enjoy it? Yes. Does everyone? No. The Olympics even with all of the less watched sports still have multiple heavily watched events as opposed to the World Cup's one.

Quote:
So, you're comparing a televised event in which no sport is played to one where sport is actually played? This actually weakens your argument because it hints at people not really caring about actual Olympic competition, just the opening ceremony. Even if the 2008 Beijing Olympics opening ceremony is the most-watched event ever, you still have no proof for the Olympics' ability to gain consistent ratings. If the opening ceremony actually did draw 4 billion people, that leaves it with only a cumulative viewership of 700 million for the duration of the rest of the Olympics; this just further goes to show how little people care about the Olympics relative to the World Cup.
No, I'm comparing one of the biggest parts and attractions of the Olympics to the biggest attraction in the World Cup. The opening Olympic ceremony is a huge part of the event. The ceremony shows all of the different countries and allows each and every viewer to have pride in their country. We are comparing the importance of the Olympics to the importance of the World Cup and the fact that 1-4 billion people tuned in to watch the Olympic opening ceremony shows how important it is.

Quote:
No, attempts to qualify most certainly do count as caring about an event. If people cared little about the World Cup, then only a small portion of the world's countries would try to field a team. Furthermore, the viewership figures I have cited show that people care about the World Cup even if their national team doesn't make the cut.
That's fantastic, I never said the countries that attempted to qualify didn't care about the event. You said that 205 countries tried to qualify for the World Cup which is one more then took part in the Olympics. I responded by saying the qualifying tournaments are not actually part of the World Cup itself so that point is irrelevant.

Quote:
Because the opening ceremony doesn't actually show anyone in competition?
And which part of this topic said anything about competition? It's about importance to the world and 4 billion people watching the opening ceremony shows the importance of it.

Quote:
Yet almost every single country in the world tries to field a team in the World Cup every four years. Furthermore, 76 countries have been represented in the World Cup since its inception, so that's definitely more representation than your citations would lead someone to believe.
76 out of 205 isn't very good especially when the majority of those 76 don't ever make it far at all.

Quote:
Also, the fact that almost every country tries to make the World Cup every 4 years shows how little feasibility matters when they think of what's most important to them. The finances needed to field a football team may be staggering and the chances of making it to the World Cup may be minuscule for many countries, but that still doesn't stop them from potentially realizing their hopes of making it to the most important sporting event in the world.
And fielding Olympic teams and sending athletes to the Olympics is cheap? Just like every country attempts to make the world cup each time they also attempt to get athletes to the Olympics each time.
Quote:
Yeah, you've shown that one segment of the Olympics that included no competition and that only accounted for a small portion of its total televised hours was the most-watched television event ever. Try to find one competitive event from the 2008 Olympics that rivaled the viewership of any World Cup match from either 2006 of 2010.
Unlike the World Cup not every single event could be seen worldwide. There were many territorial restrictions due to copyright issues that prevented this. You also have to take into account that multiple events were often going on at the same time. The set up of the two events is completely different in terms of how it is televised.

Quote:
So? What does this have to do with the debate at hand? The world does not equal America. This is about which sporting event the world cares about the most, not about which sporting event the majority of America could care less about.
Do you enjoy putting words in peoples mouths? I was just using the US as an example to show that not every single country sees football as the number one sport. With the Olympics every single country can find something they enjoy and something that is of importance to them.

Quote:
It's not flawed at all. If anything's flawed, it's your argument that a non-competitive, televised event definitively proves that people care more about the Olympic games than the World Cup. I stress "games" here because none of them actually took place during the televised event that you're clinging so tightly on to.
The fact that you dismiss the opening Olympic ceremonies is absolutely laughable. It's probably the most important part of the event and in essence defines the importance of the Olympics to the world. Hence why it's viewership absolutely shit on that of the World Cup final.
__________________
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-18-2011, 10:08 AM
The People's Peep's Avatar
The People's Peep The People's Peep is offline
Mr. Manager
WWE Diva's Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 451
The People's Peep worked a dark match on ECW recently...The People's Peep worked a dark match on ECW recently...The People's Peep worked a dark match on ECW recently...The People's Peep worked a dark match on ECW recently...The People's Peep worked a dark match on ECW recently...The People's Peep worked a dark match on ECW recently...The People's Peep worked a dark match on ECW recently...The People's Peep worked a dark match on ECW recently...The People's Peep worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Default

I dont know why everyone said this was an easy choice, because I really had a hard time choosing. But in the end, I believe that the World Cup is the bigger event.

In America, we really dont watch soccer. But I think it says a lot when most of the country suddenly is sucked into a 4 week tournament for a sport we supposedly dont like. It creates a sense of nationalism that is unmatched. Dont get me wrong, the olympics creates a sense of nationalism as well, but not as much because the events are mostly based on an individual representing a country and not a team representing a country.

Another thing that makes the World Cup bigger is the whole 4 years thing. Each Summer or Winter Olympics are 4 years apart as well, but really but because we are looking at the Olympics as one event, it happens every two years. So with the World Cup, you have to wait 4 years to get another chance. Individuals in the Olympics have to wait 4 years also, but as a country, its only two years before the chance to win some medals. This brings me to my next point.

Only one team wins the World Cup, where as many different countries win medals at the Olympics. In fact, in the 2008 Summer Olympics, 86 different countries won medals and 54 of those countries had at least one gold medal. They say the overall medal count is the important part, but winning the medal count only gives you bragging rights. Its nothing official. As for the World Cup, its one winner, thus increasing the importance of a victory.

Like I said before, you guys are crazy for thinking this was easy. I found this choice to be very difficult. But by a small margin, it looks like the World Cup is the more important event.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Mays View Post
Do what TPP says or the beard goes.

GOT IT?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"
Contact Us - Clear Cookies - Lost Password - WrestleZone Forums - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Top - AdChoices