WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 11-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Now Trending All Over Your Mom...
Undisputed WWE Champion

IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...
Default IC25 Handicaps King of the Ring

It's something I do each year with the Royal Rumble - I'm going to assign odds to the participants of the King of the Ring tournament and why I feel the way I do. I'd love to get some thoughts on this as well.

The Favorites

Alberto del Rio, 4-1

Aside from Jerry Lawler, the moniker "King of the Ring" has never been so befitting of anyone more than Del Rio. He enters the ring in lavish luxury, from a customer Rolls or Bentley to the silk scarf he seems to refuse to remove the way Linus would clutch his blanket. In his debut, he made Rey Mysterio look pedestrian. He's quite possibly the most natural heel who has debuted in some time, and the KOTR tournament generally works better with a heel than a face, much like Money in the Bank.

Seamus, 6-1

Nobody else in the tournament is a former WWE Champion, and Seamus has been that twice. Plus, as my good friend NorCal pointed out to me via text message the other day, having Seamus call himself "The King of the Ring" sets up a massive feud with a returning "King of Kings" in Triple H. His odds drop to 6-1 as he is off a big loss to John Morrison in a match he dominated. It may just serve to make him mad. On a side note - in every KOTR tournament, I look for a "DQ Risk." That is the guy who has the best chance of being disqualified and hurting his opponent, who has to advance and wrestle again despite being hurt. Seamus could feasibly get DQ'ed against John Morrison if he can't keep his temper, setting up JoMo to have to wrestle a heel in the following round while hurt. It's a common WWE tournament technique.

The Spoilers

Drew McIntyre, 10-1

It seems as though Drew's push was taken away from him and given to Del Rio, but he still has a great look and fantastic physical tools. He's also still a Shawn Michaels protege, so you can never count him out. He's a smug heel, which is perfect for the KOTR role, and this would give him some instant heat. I just don't see any momentum at all for the big Scotsman, aside from his girlfriend Taryn Terrell being released recently.

Ezekiel Jackson, 12-1

I'm sorry, but this man reminds me so much of Ahmed Johnson it's scary. Johnson was a ball of fire when he started out, winning the IC Title and bodyslamming Yokozuna at 600 lbs more convincingly that Lex Luger did when the late sumo was 550 lbs. Jackson is JACKED. He's got a sick look and a charismatic style. I really think the fans will buy into him. If he doesn't win this tournament, I'd love to see him team up with Mark Henry to form "The Worlds Strongest Men" and just run roughshod over the tag division. Just don't sleep on the smiling monster in this tourney.

The Long Shots

John Morrison, 18-1

JoMo is probably the best babyface choice for this title. He seems to be getting another push that he is making very little out of. He seems lost on the mic. His former tag team partner has just won the WWE Title. It may be now or never for Morrison. I just see too much going against him, especially since he has a bullseye on his chest courtesy of Seamus. I would worry that giving the KOTR to him would be like the time it went to Billy Gunn - giving it to a guy with a great look who just can't carry the momentum into something meaningful.

Kofi Kingston, 20-1

Kingston is the prototypical guy to make the semi-finals and get the crowd excited, only to come up short to the dastardly heel and eventual winner. Kofi's push has fizzled out, the he's not been able to recreate the magic he had when he feuded with Randy Orton. The KOTR title would give him that push back, but like with McIntyre, I see very little momentum.

The Write-offs

Daniel Bryan, 30-1

Bryan has been on an absolute tear for months now. Feels like he hasn't lost yet, even though I know he has. The biggest thing keeping him out of the running is the US Title - there is no need for the WWE to push a mid-card champion with another mid-card distinction. It would be a double up and a waste. Furthermore, I see Bryan on a collission course with one of three men - Alex Reilly (seeking revenge for Miz), Wade Barrett (for kicking him out of Nexus) or Dolph Ziggler (both mid card champs have been on a winning streak lately.)

Cody Rhodes, 35-1

Nobody in the tournament has less momentum. Nothing about "The Dashing One" says to me "here's a future champ / King of the Ring winner. He'll contend someday for the IC Title, but aside from that, he's peaking. He has no where NEAR the heat of his Smackdown counterparts such as Alberto Del Rio, and would be fed to guys like Jackson and Seamus for lunch. I still say he needs to be on Raw and do a series of vignette's with Seamus when Rhodes takes Seamus to a tanning salon, gets his eyebrows waxed, and even bleaches a patch of Seamus's hair. If that's what direction I think the character should go in, then kiss King of the Ring goodbye.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-29-2010, 11:31 AM
WCW TV Champion

The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...

I actually think that Ezekiel Jackson is the favorite to win the KOTR this year. That just seems to be the way WWE pushes guys: out of nowhere. Just like they did with Sheamus and Wade Barrett. Plus being the monster that he is, I do not think that the fans will have a problem buying into the fact that a guy like Jackson can win the KOTR out of nowhere.

I don't think Del Rio is winning even though it might suit his gimmick. I'm expecting a Rey Mysterio interference in the semi finals. I think you are right when you say that Sheamus will get himself disqualified by getting angry at Morrison and blasting him in the back with a chair. I actually expect Morrison to reach the finals against Jackson and put up a good show before coming up short, once again due to interference by Sheamus.

As for Daniel Bryan I expect that William Regal would interfere in his match to set up his final feud. He is the reigning KOTR and I think you could make a storyline with Regal not wanting his student to achieve what he did.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-29-2010, 11:59 AM

Mindshatter is looking to come up from OCW...

Well here are my odds for the king of the ring.

John Morrison 3-1 JF
Easily the favourite if a face king is going to win it. I can see him beating Bryan in a great match then winning against Sheamus by DQ in the semi finals and then heroicly winning in the final while being injured.

Cody Rhodes 3-1 JF
Call my crazy but I can see Rhodes coming out as a heel king even if he does seem like a longshot as I can't see any of the other heels winning it as I will explain when I get to them.

Albert Del Rio 6-1
I can see Del Rio as a very strong contender if they decide to go with a heel king as this guy is getting a push all the way to the moon. The only issue I can see here is Rey interfering to continue the feud.

Sheamus 8-1
While Sheamus will be hyped up by the commentary as the outright favourite he has no real reason to go over everyone else in this case as he is already an established main eventer and some of the other superstars could use this more.

On the subject of this setting up a battle with him and the (eventually) returning Triple H, I don't think the KOTR means enough in recent years to really enter this feud with someone like Triple H, which is shown by the fact it's just on an episode of RAW. I also think the fact Sheamus putting out Triple H is enough of a reason for this feud to get along fine without KOTR.

Big Zeke 12-1
Again I can see him being pumped up by the commentary but I just feel he will be a filler for the tournament and I can't see him beating the likes of John Morrison or Sheamus unless someone has decided to suddenly give a huge push to him.

Drew Mcintyre 16-1
I just can't see WWE trying to push him so soon after they tried and failed to do it before. Merely a filler.

Kofi Kingston 25-1
Honestly, Kofi has faded into irrelevance. He is like MVP in the way he is only used to get the crowd going now and I can't see him getting a push anytime soon. Again just a filler like Drew.

Daniel Bryan 33-1
Has no reason to win this at all as the US champion. It would be an episode of blind ignorance if Bryan was to win this as he has no reason to especially with the streak he is on lately. Also too many things could happen such as Riley interfering for example.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-29-2010, 12:02 PM
My nipples hurt.
Mr. Money in the Bank

D-Man is a United States Champion...D-Man is a United States Champion...D-Man is a United States Champion...D-Man is a United States Champion...D-Man is a United States Champion...D-Man is a United States Champion...D-Man is a United States Champion...D-Man is a United States Champion...D-Man is a United States Champion...D-Man is a United States Champion...D-Man is a United States Champion...
Send a message via AIM to D-Man Send a message via MSN to D-Man

I've vocalized this before, but I'm torn between Del Rio and Drew.

Sheamus (IC, please stop misspelling his name... and yes, you're misspelling it no matter what reason you give) doesn't "need" the KOTR title. He's already involved in high-profile matches and has two titles under his belt. It's already etched in stone that he's going to be in the main event scene for years to come... barring injury or unfortunately turn of events, of course. KOTR is for elevation and determining a future mainstay in the WWE. Sheamus has done this already and continues to do so.

Del Rio is almost too obvious of a winner. He's a killer heel right now, rightfully so, and there are as many reasons for him to win this tournament as there are for him not to.

Drew is a young, tough, skilled wrestler with a great future ahead of him... hence, the reason why his push has been temporarily halted. Between his youth, his killer non-pyro entrance, his good mic skills, and his solid in-ring work, he fits the mold of KOTR almost to a tee. I'm thinking that even though his push was halted, they could still surprise us by having Drew outshine the others in the tournament and take the crown.

Click for Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox696
Let's IP ban you and find out. Who the fuck are you kidding? Do you really think you understand the situation better than I do? Fuck off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty NorCal
I will say it though, this would be pretty fucking cool if it didnt suck ass
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC25 View Post
Wait...a SMILEY with a LIGHTSABER!? God, no! Anything but that!
Are you going to hurl your virginity at me next???
sendpm.gif
Old 11-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

WJDwjdWJDwjd is looking to come up from OCW...WJDwjdWJDwjd is looking to come up from OCW...

I believe tournament this is a launching ground for most heel wrestlers. I've said it before in these forums and I'll say it again. This tournament will go to Del Rio. He is being pushed to the moon and his gimmick fits that moniker "King of the Ring" PERFECTLY. Being able to brag about the fact that he would have been the only legitimate candidate to win the title of "King of the Ring" will bring him nuclear heat. This move makes so much sense on so many levels. The only way Del Rio will lose this is if Rey interferes and to keep this Del Rio/Mysterio feud going on any longer is a mistake. Del Rio needs to move on to bigger (no pun intended) and better things. He is the best thing going on on Friday nights right now.

"I ain't no white trash..."
sendpm.gif
Old 11-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

brighamosity is looking to come up from OCW...brighamosity is looking to come up from OCW...

I agree with everyone saying it will be Alberto Del Rio. It just seems like the only logical choice. Even before they announced the qualifying matches and who would be in them, I instantly thought of Alberto Del Rio as soon as I heard they were having a KOTR.
Whenever someone has won one of these, they often incorporate it into their gimmick. (Macho Man, Owen Hart, Mabel, Booker T) I could completely see Del Rio going around saying how he is royalty and the King of the WWE and things like that. I can't see any of the other wrestlers going that route, so it would be a waste giving it to them.

King of the Ring, in general, is more "gimmicky" than anything, meaning that just because you win it, it doesn't necessarily mean you are moving on to bigger and better things. So Alberto Del Rio is really the only two I could see using the "King" gimmick.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-29-2010, 12:43 PM
My nipples hurt.
Mr. Money in the Bank

D-Man is a United States Champion...D-Man is a United States Champion...D-Man is a United States Champion...D-Man is a United States Champion...D-Man is a United States Champion...D-Man is a United States Champion...D-Man is a United States Champion...D-Man is a United States Champion...D-Man is a United States Champion...D-Man is a United States Champion...D-Man is a United States Champion...
Send a message via AIM to D-Man Send a message via MSN to D-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by brighamosity View Post
I agree with everyone saying it will be Alberto Del Rio. It just seems like the only logical choice. Even before they announced the qualifying matches and who would be in them, I instantly thought of Alberto Del Rio as soon as I heard they were having a KOTR.
Whenever someone has won one of these, they often incorporate it into their gimmick. (Macho Man, Owen Hart, Mabel, Booker T) I could completely see Del Rio going around saying how he is royalty and the King of the WWE and things like that. I can't see any of the other wrestlers going that route, so it would be a waste giving it to them.

King of the Ring, in general, is more "gimmicky" than anything, meaning that just because you win it, it doesn't necessarily mean you are moving on to bigger and better things. So Alberto Del Rio is really the only two I could see using the "King" gimmick.
But this can be said just as much for Drew McIntyre... AKA "The Chosen One."

Even though he's not in the limelight right now, Drew is just as relevant in this tournament as Edge was in 2001. Edge wasn't involved in any major feuds back then, either (if I recall correctly). But that's why his KOTR win made so much sense. We, as the audience, concentrated on nothing but the KOTR Tournament for Edge. There were no distractions. That's what's happening with Drew right now.

Click for Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox696
Let's IP ban you and find out. Who the fuck are you kidding? Do you really think you understand the situation better than I do? Fuck off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty NorCal
I will say it though, this would be pretty fucking cool if it didnt suck ass
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC25 View Post
Wait...a SMILEY with a LIGHTSABER!? God, no! Anything but that!
Are you going to hurl your virginity at me next???
sendpm.gif
Old 11-29-2010, 12:47 PM
The Beefiest Legend in all the Land

beefthelegend is looking to come up from OCW...

I think you guys are selling the love of the creative team has for Daniel Bryan short.

-He should have won NXT ( and was probably going to, only to be written off because Barrett was better for the Nexus angle)
-He returned at a Major PPV as a surprise entrant in a match taking the place of the future WWE Champion.
-He had a nice feud with the Miz, which, by the way, he dominated.
-He has put on clinics with Ziggler and DiBiase, making each of them look like future stars while putting himself over as well.

I'm not saying he is going to win. But, if we're evaluating momentum, then who, besides maybe Rio, has more momentum going into this tournament?

I like him to go to the finals and lose to Del Rio...maybe. I think it's a shot that Bryan wins.

Here's how i see it breaking down.

Morrisson and Sheamus are on a collision course. Sheamus will get DQ'd while softening up Morrisson in a brutal beat down, thus setting him up for a match against Del Rio (who gets there by beatin Kofi in a dirty fashion.)

On the other side of the bracket, Bryan will steam roll Cody, and Drew will find a way against Zeke. Bryan and Drew will go back and forth, and will be the second best match of the tourney, with Bryan getting the eventual win.

And so we're left with two people who don't necessarily NEED the title/push, but certainly deserve it. The only reason i have a glimmer of doubt about Del Rio winning is because he is a Smackdown Talent on a Raw tournament.

So that's how I see it going down. Please bookmark this thread, so you can all marvel as to how right i was XD haha.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Beep Bop Boop
Million Dollar Champion

Thriller Ant is a Television Champion...Thriller Ant is a Television Champion...Thriller Ant is a Television Champion...Thriller Ant is a Television Champion...Thriller Ant is a Television Champion...Thriller Ant is a Television Champion...Thriller Ant is a Television Champion...Thriller Ant is a Television Champion...Thriller Ant is a Television Champion...Thriller Ant is a Television Champion...Thriller Ant is a Television Champion...

Here are my quick thoughts on each guy in no particular order:

Del Rio: I really think we are coming to a place where he is too perfect a choice for the crown. He would be perfect for the honor and it would possibly give his gimmick that extra boost it needs to go to the next level. But I really think the fact that it is very obvious he should win gives away the fact that he won't. Look for a Mysterio distraction to cost him a match.

Sheamus: I can't see a former WWE Champion winning a midcard honor like this. He will dominate whichever match(es) he is in but will lose via roll-up or something similar when he does lose.

Jackson: I would love to see Big Zeke win the tourney. He was set for a big push when he won the ECW Title on its final night, but that all disappeared when he got injured. KOTR presents a similar opportunity as the one lost for Ezekiel, and it wouldn't surprise me to see the WWE jump all over it.

McIntyre: His push has stalled, but this would be the perfect way to restart it. I could put this with Del Rio as well, but another thing going for Drew and Alberto is even though SmackDown has a ton of heels right now, Kane is the only main-event level heel. This would be an excellent way to move either Drew or Alberto up as that second main event heel that SmackDown doesn't have.

Morrison: Creative keeps seeming like they want to push him, but each time it seems to fail. JoMo might be suffering from the same disease that plagued Shelton Benjamin and Matt Hardy: anti-push syndrome. It is caused by receiving a push, and the symptoms include terrible mic work and the eventual fucking up of said push. Could KOTR be JoMo's last chance? I doubt they'd use something so high profile on him, but I could see it being a now or never scenario as well.

Kofi: They don't seem to know what to do with him. He's definitely over, but is little more than average on the mic and in the ring, he is solid at best and an episode of Botchamania at worst. I don't see Kofi winning here at all, and staying in midcard purgatory for a few months more at least.

Danielson: Even though I would squeal like a little girl at a Justin Bieber concert if he won, there's no way he will. They've been pushing him to the moon as U.S. Champ, and therein lies the problem. He is on the midcard title to main event track. Let him continue on that route where he is thriving and give someone else who needs it the springboard to the main event.

Dashing: I, like most everyone else, am in love with the gimmick. And who or what, pray tell, is more dashing than a king? Not gonna happen though. Cody is still on the lower part of the midcard and needs to elevate himself more before he's ready for anything like KOTR.

Summary

Favorites
McIntyre
ADR
Jackson

Maybe
JoMo
Sheamus

Not Gonna Happen
Kofi
Dashing
Danielson

CLICK THE SIG
sendpm.gif
Old 11-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Sensitive like a woman
WWF Hardcore Champion

Dowds is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dowds is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dowds is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dowds is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dowds is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dowds is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dowds is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dowds is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dowds is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dowds is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dowds is getting some looks on Smackdown...
Send a message via MSN to Dowds Send a message via Skype™ to Dowds

How do you calculate odds anyway?

Sheamus - As others have said, he doesn't need to win this tournament as people know what he is capable of, and is already at the stage of being able to put John Morrison over, who has been with the company for a good few years already. That in itself is a hell of an accomplishment in itself. It is frustrating however that he is viewed by many as just biding his time until HHH returns.

Morrison - As much as I would love to see him get a boost from winning King of the Ring, unless he meets him in the final, I can see Sheamus costing him a match which would give more steam to their feud and remove the Santino element to it at the same time.

Zeke - He is an impressive looking guy and seemingly did well on ECW, but I don't think that WWE is going to give him the crown based on the fact that he isn't as well known as the other guys, and has only just re-appeared.

Bryan - He has been performing well, and while winning the tournament would get the attention of Miz, Bryan isn't a character that would boast about his accomplishment to antagonize the Miz so I just don't see it happening.

Rhodes - Since the move to Smackdown and the 'Dashing' gimmick he seems to have found some confidence so he's my dark horse pick.

McIntyre - He's Scottish, I'm Scottish, he hasn't done anything to garner attention for himself since his saga with Teddy Long which I was a big fan of, so I'd like to see him get some momentum going again as I think he has the potential to re-pay the faith that Vince has/had in him.

Del Rio - Him proclaiming himself to be a King is almost too perfect and obvious, but it would work so well.

Kofi - To me, he is the least likely to win as, similarly to Truth, has been pottering around with the ME guys + is over with the crowds, but just hasn't been able to cement himself as consistent enough to be a credible winner.

Mon Drew!
sendpm.gif