WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 11-28-2017, 05:17 PM
Welcome to the Warzone.
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...
Default The Biggest Problem Finn Balor Has

As reported by the dirt-sheets, it seems that Vince McMahon has soured on Finn Balor considerably and no longer sees him as a top main event guy. It also looks like his feud with Brock Lesnar has been all but called off, if it was even going to happen in the first place.

My opinion: I'm...not that shocked. But it's not for the reason you think.

Personally, I think Finn Balor is one of the better workers on RAW and perhaps the main roster itself; he's had many solid matches over the years, not just in NXT and WWE but also in NJPW where he made his name.

And when he started in WWE, whoa mama; the hype was there. It was so there, they had to give Finn has demon attire for his very first PPV match; and get this? HE WON. Then he got injured and went away for a long time. Since then, it's sort of been downhill from there. And here's why.

It's not so much that he's injury-prone, for the most part; he's actually been really good staying AWAY from injuries and the injuries he has gotten are usually the result of botches. The problem lies in his charisma. Or rather, the charisma he gives out when he speaks.

Let me explain: When someone like The Rock, Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan, John Cena and to a lesser extent Roman Reigns, Kevin Owens or The Miz come out; you can tell they have an star appeal to them. They have the look that makes you want to be or as a heel fear them with all of your might. And when they talk, you know they use a lot of that charisma and passion in their promos. There's a reason people love watching them speak, they get you into the feud or match and that in turn makes things all the more exciting.

So let's get to Finn Balor: Does he have charisma? Absolutely, the guy has a look of a god and when he becomes the Demon; he becomes one of the most awe-inspiring things in WWE today...So explain to me why I don't get that same feeling when he gives a promo?

Now this isn't a case like Bayley's where you know she's trying all she can, but her skills just aren't up to sniff or the material given to her just doesn't mesh well. With Finn? I hate to say it but, he just comes off as very boring. Every promo I've heard of him so far is just him looking stoic in the camera, occasionally getting a little angry and speaking in a rather monotone voice that shows very little range.

Obviously, this will not be the case for everyone; and if you think he's good on the mic, that's great; more power to you. But to me personally, when the Demon speaks, the Demon is just...well...dull.

#WildcatWayz
Cat of Controversy, Writer of Wrestling
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:23 PM
Sing about me, I'm dying of thirst
X-Division Champion

Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...
Send a message via Skype™ to Rainbow Yaz

The problem with Finn Balor is that he is boring and has no positive attributes that other, better workers don't have. Everything that Finn does, there is someone else on the roster who can do it just as well or better and is a more complete package. His matches are good, but rarely great. His promos are bland. The Demon is stupid.

The only thing he has going for him is his athleticism, but when you are a 190 pound vanilla midget, you better be athletic or funny because you aren't going to find work otherwise. He fit New Japan better because his athleticism and in ring work could carry him there, where charisma and promos aren't as important. If he never got big in New Japan, he would have never been on WWE's radar because there are a thousand other indy guys who can do what he does in the ring.

He is a fancy entrance and nothing more. I don't want to see him getting beaten so soundly by Kane, but he is nowhere near the level needed to be a World Champion.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:37 PM
ROH Pure Champion

wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...

The problem i've always saw with finn from the first time i saw him in NXT is that without the makeup, he just give you this generic wrestler no.5 vibe.

Let me explain what i mean, when you watch Finn in the ring, he's a really good wrestler for is stile but not spectacular, it fill like you're watching pretty much the same match over and over again because it's always the same thing in the same order all the time. This could be good if he had charisma to keep non-indy fans interested. You look at a Ric Flair, Bret Hart or CM Punk. Here'S three guys that when on every night, did the same routine every night but they had the certain something that keep you interested in the match anyway and you didn'T mind seeing the same spots over and over again. Finn doesn'T have that.

When he's without the paint, you could pretty much put him with the other nameless cruiserweight and i wouldn't feel lost. He's pretty much the Tyson Kidd or Dolph ziggler of today's roster. A good hand that can have good to great matches with others guys and is able to make them look good.

Can this be fix, i don'T know, unless you bring over the Demon character more often or try and help him out with promo like maybe put him back with Gallows and Anderson and letting them do all the talking for the group then maybe he could have a shot of being a bigger star, but in this current incarnation, he just scream bland mid card character and i don'T blame Vince for given up on the guy.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:02 PM
Advertise Here $9.95/month
United States Champion

George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...

Finn's biggest problem is the fact that he won a title and got hurt in the process. It influence the expectation of the smarks of who he would be when he returned and what fans still expect today. He has been nothing of those things. He is now on a normal trajectory instead of the rocket trajectory he got in his debut.

I don't blame WWE for treating him the way they have since his return. His early main roster success felt like a stretch in the same vein as Jack Swagger and Dolph Ziggler and he hasn't shown anything then or since then to warrant anything more than what he is getting now. The demon is a cool costume and his entrance is fun but he hasn't shown much else that makes him marketable.

In the end though his failure is a combination of his inability to get over and WWE's scripting. Plus jumping on man with two feet is a stupid move.

Oh, and he also kind of look like one of those Charlottesville protesters. "Samoa Joe will not replace us!"
GSB Observation #8675309 - I've never seen Samoa Joe and Manny from Modern Family in the same room at the same time, coincidence?
Old 11-28-2017, 08:36 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

The Samoan Heritage worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Samoan Heritage worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Samoan Heritage worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Samoan Heritage worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Samoan Heritage worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Samoan Heritage worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Samoan Heritage worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Samoan Heritage worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I have mixed feeling when, it comes to Finn Balor.

Outside of the ring, Balor is amazing. I love his odd charisma, and its pretty clear many others do as well, considering he gets the loudest reactions on each night. His interaction with fans is top notch. I've seen a few times were security would stop children from running up to the guardrail and Balor would go over and call for them. I also enjoy his quirky style on social media.

Inside the ring...well that is a different story. Balor bores me, completely. I have yet to be able to get invested in any of his matches, even his most recent one with AJ Styles. It has already been mentioned, but majority of Balor's matches are repetitive, including his ppv/"demon" persona matches.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:23 PM
ECW TV Champion

OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...

There's no reason to connect with Finn Balor. He comes off as boring because he has no discernible character to speak of. When he's talking, he's basically talking as nice-guy Fergal Devitt who rigidly attempts to sound angry and intimidating at times, but generally fails miserably. There needs to be more depth there in order for fans to really understand why they should care about what he's saying, at least in my opinion. I mean, let's compare to Samoa Joe. Joe's not the greatest speaker in the world, he's solid no doubt, but I wouldn't necessarily describe him as anything special. But the difference is, Joe has a deep character and that makes his words mean something. He's a bad-ass destroyer who pretty much gives no fucks, so when he says he's going to kick someone's ass, you believe him.

If you want to look at somebody more similar, you can also look at Sami Zayn when he was a face. Again, while Zayn wasn't exactly setting the world on fire, he at least seemed to understand who he wanted his character to be, that of a quirky, nerdy underdog attempting to prove his doubters wrong, and as a result, people more or less were able to connect with him on some level. Balor has yet to find that depth to make people truly care about him. He's getting some good pops, but I feel that has more to do with a lot of fans wanting him to succeed more than it's actually about him succeeding.

I think he's a solid talent, and with some polishing he can be a big player in the near future. He still has to put work in though. Guys like Joe and Owens were ready-made for the WWE when they came in. I honestly think Balor is a step below at this point.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:31 PM
X-Division Champion

Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYDK View Post
There's no reason to connect with Finn Balor. He comes off as boring because he has no discernible character to speak of. When he's talking, he's basically talking as nice-guy Fergal Devitt who rigidly attempts to sound angry and intimidating at times, but generally fails miserably. There needs to be more depth there in order for fans to really understand why they should care about what he's saying, at least in my opinion. I mean, let's compare to Samoa Joe. Joe's not the greatest speaker in the world, he's solid no doubt, but I wouldn't necessarily describe him as anything special. But the difference is, Joe has a deep character and that makes his words mean something. He's a bad-ass destroyer who pretty much gives no fucks, so when he says he's going to kick someone's ass, you believe him.

If you want to look at somebody more similar, you can also look at Sami Zayn when he was a face. Again, while Zayn wasn't exactly setting the world on fire, he at least seemed to understand who he wanted his character to be, that of a quirky, nerdy underdog attempting to prove his doubters wrong, and as a result, people more or less were able to connect with him on some level. Balor has yet to find that depth to make people truly care about him. He's getting some good pops, but I feel that has more to do with a lot of fans wanting him to succeed more than it's actually about him succeeding.

I think he's a solid talent, and with some polishing he can be a big player in the near future. He still has to put work in though. Guys like Joe and Owens were ready-made for the WWE when they came in. I honestly think Balor is a step below at this point.
All relevant and agreeable points, and articulated better than I did. The bold part is what I want to try to expand on a bit. I mentioned that Balor is a cool entrance and nothing more, which I do believe to be true at this point, as much as I actually do like the guy. How much of a factor do you think his entrance plays in his pops? Everyone loves a fun entrance they can interact with. Look at Enzo, he is a heel who has outstayed his welcome in the eyes of a lot of fans, but people still enjoy chanting along with his whole entrance speech. Even when the New Age Outlaws played heels, people would chant along with Road Dogg and Billy Gunn. My point being people like to feel included, and speaking from experience, throwing your arms in the air with Balor is fun. Doing the finger thing with Fandango was fun too, but I digress. I ask because I've noticed that when he comes out for a match, his reaction is typically much better than when he pops up on screen for a promo or runs in for a save.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:13 PM
Cena is no Bruno & Cole is no Solie
WWE Women's Champion

stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...

Look, the biggest reason why Finn Balor does not get over in WWE is because is does not look like the type of "star" that VKM covets: Big, cartoonish, muscles upon muscles, straight from Central Casting. If Finn Balor had, let's say, Braun Strowman's skills, he would be back in New Japan right now. But, if Finn Balor was the size of Braun Strowman, he would have fought Lesnar, or maybe have a feud with Lesnar to Mania. It is nice to say he got hurt and that is why VKM soured on him. The reality is that the Balor Club shirts were doing well, which is why VKM pushed him. But, once he got hurt, out of sight, out of mind ESPECIALLY if that wrestler was not the prototype that VKM wants.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:29 PM
X-Division Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray11214 View Post
Look, the biggest reason why Finn Balor does not get over in WWE is because is does not look like the type of "star" that VKM covets: Big, cartoonish, muscles upon muscles, straight from Central Casting. If Finn Balor had, let's say, Braun Strowman's skills, he would be back in New Japan right now. But, if Finn Balor was the size of Braun Strowman, he would have fought Lesnar, or maybe have a feud with Lesnar to Mania. It is nice to say he got hurt and that is why VKM soured on him. The reality is that the Balor Club shirts were doing well, which is why VKM pushed him. But, once he got hurt, out of sight, out of mind ESPECIALLY if that wrestler was not the prototype that VKM wants.
This is outdated thinking. There was a period when the only way you could get to the top of the WWE mountain was to be some roided out freak with a bodybuilder physique, and having that look does still help you, but to say that the reason Finn isn't pushed is because he doesn't fit that mold is antiquated.

Look at the stars of the mid 90s and on. Shawn and Bret could both feasibly pass for cruiserweights. Even a few years before that, Flair wasn't a prime candidate for the cover of Muscle and Fitness. The only six pack Austin ever had was in his cooler. Mick Foley was pushing three bills when he was anointed champ. Angle is only about 5'11, and Jericho was a crusierweight in his early career. Outside of Cena, Brock, and Batista, there haven't been any chiseled from stone types as champ from the Ruthless Era onward, unless you count Roman, and even he has to wrestle with the vest because his midsection isn't as cut as the rest of him. Maybe you can count Sheamus in there as well, but the WWE has very much moved away from the old mold with guys like Rollins, Ambrose, Bryan, Punk, and Styles all having a fair stake at the belt.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:37 PM
With the safety off!!
NWA Champion

Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...

Balor is an enigma. When he came over from NJPW where he was Prince Devitt, it was hailed as one of the greatest signing's NXT has ever made. He put on solid matches with almost everyone he faced, even though I've always thought he was on the smallish side.

I don't think anyone had a problem when he came up to the main roster. His first night out was a feather in his cap, winning the right to go to Summerslam to fight for the Universal Champion. He won that match against Rollins, but got injured in the process. After being on the shelf for a long time, things have never really been the same for him. He's sort of wandered from feud to feud, never attaining anything of any real substance. Even putting on the paint for a match here and there, while visually alright doesn't change the fact that it's Finn Balor. It's not like he wrestles any differently, so wearing makeup I guess makes him stronger.

There is nothing wrong with Balor except for the fact that he's a tad boring. Very generic in his look and while he may be a nice guy, watching paint dry is more exciting. Yea he's solid in the ring, but so are a lot of other people. I don't know why he's never had his rematch, even if he loses he should still get one. He should maybe be feuding for the IC or US title, guess the WWE never thought of that either.

Would I really be lying if I said most of us thought he would form the Bullet Club or a WWE version of it. Honestly thought that's why Anderson and Gallows were signed as well. They could have taken on the Shield, New Day or anyone else they faced. As it is all three of them are floundering.