WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 08-08-2010, 01:05 AM
Deciding if I want to join WZCW.
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Kayoh is looking to come up from OCW...Kayoh is looking to come up from OCW...Kayoh is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Why do so many people hate Tyler Black?

Basically, my reasoning is simple. If you are an ROH fan, chances are you are not a mark. If you are an ROH fan and follow the promotion, you are likely somebody who just wants to get away from all of the soap opera bullshit surrounding WWE and TNA. So, with those facts under presumption, why the hell do so many people hate Tyler Black? Honestly, the guy is one of the best in-ring performers I have ever seen. He's a decent (sometimes great) mic worker, he's got the moveset, the ring psychology, the athleticism, literally everything anybody could ask for in a champion, and yet people still say shit like "he's overrated" or "he's too green", and I just don't get it.

So, could somebody explain to me why so many ROH fans hate Black so much?
Old 08-08-2010, 08:59 AM

Josefien is looking to come up from OCW...Josefien is looking to come up from OCW...

That's a really good question.
And the answer is this: those people are idiots.

Let me break it down for you. Tyler Black is absolutely talented in the ring, he knows how to work, he has a great look, basically everything you listed. Granted, he may not be able to work entertaining 60 minute matches yet, but is that really something you can hold against him? No, I didn't think so either.
Black is only 24 years old (I believe), which makes his accomplishments even more amazing. He's got all the potential to be a huge star in the wrestling business.

The only reasonable complaint I keep hearing is about his mic skills.
You wrote he's great sometimes, but I have to disagree. I just cringe every time he starts talking because it makes me uncomfortable to watch and listen to him cut a promo that sounds like he either memorized it or is reading it off somewhere. Honestly, I do see a slight improvement though.
Also, since when have mic skills been uber important in Ring of Honor? That's right, they never have. As long as a guy could wrestle, the fans would love him (very simplified, but you catch my drift). And we know Tyler Black can wrestle.
So why exactly would people dislike him?

I think you answered the question yourself, OP. Ring of Honor fans are no marks, at least not in the traditional sense.
Tyler Black is pretty much a babyface; he's always portrayed as the good guy. Even when he's portrayed more violent, more aggressive, etc he is still more of a face than his opponents (until now).
ROH fans are no marks, therefore they don't fall for the babyface shtick. Quite the contrary, they don't like or hate it. Many of them feel like it's the cool thing to do to like the heels and dislike the babyfaces, therefore they dislike Tyler Black.

Pardon the generalisation, I know not every ROH fan is like that. Still, it is the only reason I can think of. And that reason is bullshit, which is way I say those people are idiots.
sendpm.gif
Old 08-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Love is not admissable evidence.
WWE Diva's Champion

The Bearded One scored a win over Santino Marella...The Bearded One scored a win over Santino Marella...The Bearded One scored a win over Santino Marella...The Bearded One scored a win over Santino Marella...The Bearded One scored a win over Santino Marella...The Bearded One scored a win over Santino Marella...The Bearded One scored a win over Santino Marella...The Bearded One scored a win over Santino Marella...The Bearded One scored a win over Santino Marella...The Bearded One scored a win over Santino Marella...The Bearded One scored a win over Santino Marella...
Send a message via AIM to The Bearded One Send a message via MSN to The Bearded One

I don't get it either. I've been a big fan of Tyler Black ever since I started watching ROH, as did most of the fans. Black was getting the "Next World Champ" chants and everything. But once he won the title, he started getting booed. It seems a lot like John Cena from 2006. I guess ihating Tyler Black is the cool thing to do now. But all he does is go out and put on great match after great match. His entire reign has been nothing short of great and if he keeps going like he is now, Black will be one of the best champions in ROH history, but people will be too stupid to realize it. I don't get the Tyler Black hate at all, I really don't. And I feel bad for him when he's out there busting his ass and all he's getting are boos.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Beep Bop Boop
Million Dollar Champion

Thriller Ant is a Television Champion...Thriller Ant is a Television Champion...Thriller Ant is a Television Champion...Thriller Ant is a Television Champion...Thriller Ant is a Television Champion...Thriller Ant is a Television Champion...Thriller Ant is a Television Champion...Thriller Ant is a Television Champion...Thriller Ant is a Television Champion...Thriller Ant is a Television Champion...Thriller Ant is a Television Champion...

I'm adding my name to the "I don't get it list" as well. His in-ring skills are very, very good. He can put on good matches with mat based guys like Kevin Steen, strike based guys like Davey Richards, or even someone who flies around more like Generico. His mic skills do need quite a bit of work, but that's nothing that won't get better with practice. He has had a very good run as champion and anyone who has started booing him is just overly fickly and trying to be cool.

CLICK THE SIG
sendpm.gif
Old 08-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Mayor McLeafy is looking to come up from OCW...Mayor McLeafy is looking to come up from OCW...Mayor McLeafy is looking to come up from OCW...Mayor McLeafy is looking to come up from OCW...Mayor McLeafy is looking to come up from OCW...Mayor McLeafy is looking to come up from OCW...Mayor McLeafy is looking to come up from OCW...

Tyler Black is easily one of my favorites. I think my first Indy match I ever saw was Black vs. Strong. He immediately drew me in. He has a presence in the ring and his move-set is amazing.

Anyone who hates this man is either

a) an idiot

b) a nit-picky wrestling whore

Which is basically the same thing. This man has been a great champion and i'm looking forward to his WWE run.
sendpm.gif
Old 08-08-2010, 05:31 PM

Djm is looking to come up from OCW...
Send a message via AIM to Djm Send a message via MSN to Djm Send a message via Yahoo to Djm Send a message via Skype™ to Djm

If I may give a bit more smarky insight, people seem to think ROH shoved Tyler Black down their throats. Some goof was apparently screaming "He is the John Cena of this promotion" at one of the iPPVs.

Meanwhile, most of them probably have no idea that this is exactly what the oh-so-lauded Gabe would've done. He even says so in one of the Kayfabe Commenataries DVDs.

So, yes. They're just idiots. Aside from on the microphone, Tyler's OK.

Episode 28: Fat Billy Shouts Mine
sendpm.gif
Old 08-08-2010, 09:29 PM

Prophecy of Darkness is looking to come up from OCW...

I also do not understand the Tyler Black hate.Comparing him to John Cena is ridiculous.Tyler Black has awesome ring-skills.He's one of those guys that seem like they can do anything.He can Fight,he can fly,he can get technical,and he's damn good at it.What's not to like?,mic skills? please.

Tyler's promos have slowly started to improve.He seems a little more comfortable talking now.I don't get how they bash Black for his promos,yet somehow Roderick Strong is still treated like a god.Granted,I like strong too,but he is no better at promos than Tyler.

I think he gets too much heat.To me,it makes no sense.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Knockout Champion

Reddannihilation is looking to come up from OCW...Reddannihilation is looking to come up from OCW...Reddannihilation is looking to come up from OCW...Reddannihilation is looking to come up from OCW...Reddannihilation is looking to come up from OCW...Reddannihilation is looking to come up from OCW...Reddannihilation is looking to come up from OCW...

I don't hate Tyler Black, but he doesn't interest me that much. He has good in-ring skills as far as a move-set. But something about him just doesn't click with me. I don't honestly know what it is, but I just can't sit through most of his matches. As for people who hate him, no idea why. But I can certainly understand people not enjoying him, hate might be a bit much, though.

I predicted that Nexus would fail the day it started. I am hereby declared a Soothsayer.
sendpm.gif
Old 08-09-2010, 11:19 PM
RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM
Undisputed WWE Champion

X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...
Send a message via AIM to X Send a message via MSN to X

Like most others in this thread I don't get the hatred either. I mean, I understand why they do, because they're jackasses, but it still baffles me that they can't be objective about the matter when rating Tyler as a performer, he's clearly a great performer in the ring, I sure as hell wouldn't go as far as the OP and say he's one of the best in the world because I could start spitting out workers I rate better fast if I wanted to here, but he's certainly no slouch in there. These fuckers act like they weren't cheering for him and chanting "Next World Champ!" at him back in the Age of the Fall days before he got the big push, but now that he's gotten it it's like now he's not good enough for them. Stupid shit, the ROH diehards can be a bit obtuse at times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman Sam View Post
Women crying with blood all over them. Just how I like them.
sendpm.gif
Old 08-10-2010, 01:46 AM

RickRaspberry is looking to come up from OCW...

I don't understand it either. He is what, 6'2? 200-215? He has a great look, he has fantastic in ring abilities. He can work on the mat and do all the high flying stuff. His interviews leave a bit to be desired, nothing that couldn't be worked with. Do I think there is money to be made with him? Yes.

I remember seeing him wrestle in a crappy local bar in the south side of Milwaukee in front of 50 people against Marek Brave. They had to be about 19 or 20 at the time...and they just tore the place down. Marek was good, but you could instantly tell that Tyler was the breakout of the two. Marek was no slouch....just wasn't as dedicated I don't think.
sendpm.gif