WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Non-Wrestling Non Spam Sections > The Media Hub
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 04-30-2010, 01:19 AM
Natural 20 G-Mod
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...
Send a message via ICQ to Dagger Dias Send a message via AIM to Dagger Dias Send a message via MSN to Dagger Dias Send a message via Yahoo to Dagger Dias Send a message via Skype™ to Dagger Dias
Default Video Game Music

This thread will deal with something I am very passionate about, video game music. I had already made a "favorite video game soundtracks" thread several months ago, but this is something a little different.

What I want you do to is pick a song (it can be more than one), list the game it came from, give a little background such as where it plays in the game or what character it belongs to if it's a specific character's theme, in case it comes from a game people might not be as familiar with. Then explain why you like the song. Posting a video is not required, but I recommend it so that the rest of us can have a listen.

I'll go first. I have picked "Star Stealing Girl" from Chrono Cross.

This is the theme of Kid, one of the main characters of the game. I think that it fits her character pefectly and I like it because it really touches me emotionally and makes me care more about Kid as a character. In my opinion it is one of the most beautiful songs in the history of games. It's one of those songs where if you're in a depressed mood, you can lie down, close your eyes, listen to it, and suddenly you'll feel a little better. At first I didn't think too much of it, as I don't always pay as much attention to a game's soundtrack the first couple of times I play the game.... but after hearing this song again a few years later, I realized how great it was. Over the years it became one of my favorites. Listen to it multiple times if you didn't like it that much the first time, it's a beautiful song.

I only posted one because I could litterally come up with hundreds of others to post, and I'll probably update this periodically by adding other personal favorites of mine.... but I'd like to see some picks from you guys too.

So what are some songs from video games that you like and why do you like them?

"And that's the bottom line, because DAGGER DIAS said so!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernkastel View Post
Dagger is the John Cena of this site.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:34 PM
My fave wrestler is Dirk Diggler.
WCW TV Champion

Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...
Send a message via Skype™ to Spidey #2

Giygas Theme from Earthbound

This is THE Boss song. Seriously everything about the game Earthbound itself feels mildly cheerful and happy...and then you meet this mofo. Giygas himself was so powerful that it destroyed him physically and mentally- meaning he couldn't think rationally on his own. Enter Pokey, who in the game is Ness's neighbor and oversees Giygas's plans.

Giygas itself (wikipedia claims):

Quote:
Giygas is partially based on a traumatic event in designer Shigesato Itoi's childhood, where Itoi witnessed an intense murder scene at a movie theater which he, along with many others, misinterpreted as a rape scene. Many gamers consider Giygas as the most disturbing boss battle ever, mostly due to his shape (a warped, undulating red swirl resembling a screaming face, and later, a tiled image rumored to represent a fetus sonogram but Itoh has confirmed that portrayal of the final form of Giygas, as a fetus, a "coincidence"), the hopelessness of the battle and the dialog that transpires between Ness and Giygas.

And this plays when you battle him. It does sound disturbing to me, would like to hear your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kerouac - On The Road
Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?

Last edited by Spidey #2 : 05-07-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:10 PM
Natural 20 G-Mod

Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...
Send a message via ICQ to Dagger Dias Send a message via AIM to Dagger Dias Send a message via MSN to Dagger Dias Send a message via Yahoo to Dagger Dias Send a message via Skype™ to Dagger Dias

I picked a very tranquil song last time in 'Star Stealing Girl", so let's shift to a more angry song this time around.

"Awakening" from Xenogears.

A great epic battle theme. This song is heard during the fight against Deus, the next-to-last boss, although some consider this the final boss, since the final battle between Fei and Krelian is pretty much a scripted victory. It is such an adrenaline inducing theme. It's angry, evil, suspicious, you name it.... What makes it even better is that it's a bit of a remix of the theme you hear during many suspicious moments in the game.

People talk about how great tracks like "One Winged Angel" are (I like it too, don't get me wrong) but then there are epic battle tracks such as "Awakening" from Xenogears that do not get the credit they deserve. It's one of the most fitting battle themes out there for a battle against a huge evil creature about to destroy the world. I like it a lot because I find that it seriously fits well for any "intense battle" moment of any video game.

Quote:
Old 05-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Everybody calls me Ruxin, Rupert.
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Mr. Steve scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. Steve scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. Steve scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. Steve scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. Steve scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. Steve scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. Steve scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. Steve scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. Steve scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. Steve scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. Steve scored a win over Santino Marella...

It's the Halo Themes for me. O'Donnell and Salvatore did such a fantastic job in scoring the Halo trilogy, as well as the Halo 3 spinoff, Halo: ODST.

This is the most recognizable piece of Halo. Especially the Gregorian chants. They basically set off the whole motif that rings through the whole of the series.

Here is the version that Steve Vai appears in. He collaborated with the composers on this album, as well as Incubus, I think. It's basically the same Halo theme, but with a guitar being more prominent rather than violins as in the original theme.

In this game, the composers decided to move away from the traditional theme and motif they had in the Halo trilogy, and started to focus on some Jazz-influences to make this score. You can also tell there's also a bit of the main theme *listen to the Gregorian chants* in this song.

Yeah, you can tell I love the soundtracks from Halo
You did, Steve. You know you are my Puerto Rican brother from another mother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfearbefore View Post
I like Steve. He's WZ's resident Puerto Rican, and he loves Entourage and Eva Angelina. He's cool.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:09 AM
WZCW's First Triple Crown Champion
WWE European Champion

Phoenix is a Television Champion...Phoenix is a Television Champion...Phoenix is a Television Champion...Phoenix is a Television Champion...Phoenix is a Television Champion...Phoenix is a Television Champion...Phoenix is a Television Champion...Phoenix is a Television Champion...Phoenix is a Television Champion...Phoenix is a Television Champion...Phoenix is a Television Champion...

There's two game series I'll refer to for this one.

Starting with Zelda, there's two themes that strongly stick out for me, granted I played Twilight Princess first followed by Ocarina of Time, but listening to these two particular themes just really have a warm feeling inside.

Temple of Time Theme

If you spoke to me about this a year ago, this would have been nothing to me. Now, having become a follower of Zelda, this song just feels a sense of grandeur, destiny and honour. This song is essentially the song of the series (since OoT) and I don't think any Zelda fan wouldn't feel any different with this song in particular. Walking into the Temple of Time to hear this just makes you feel honoured to be in the game at times, again this is the song that is best linked to Zelda and hopefully we'll see it return for the newest game.

Saria's Song/Lost Woods/Sacred Grove

This is just such a joyous song to hear, if anything, if you called the Temple of Time Theme as the theme of Adult Link, this is the theme of Link as a child. Any time you enter those realms and hear this song, you just think of two things, firstly, how young you were and how older/mature you have become but also Saria. This song basically cannot make you forget that character who spent a decent amount of time to encourage Link on his way to adventure, and you yet you can't help but feel sad to know how much she taught Link and would eventually go on to become a Sage, never to exist in the real world again. It's noble sacrifice that just makes you want to cry.

Now onto quite possibly my favourite game theme ever, Metal Gear Solid

This is a theme that evolves to fit the atmosphere of the game and it's why I personally love it. You get the feel of action and adrenaline from it. Personally, I prefer the versions outside of the first game, but it deserves recognition for being the original theme. But when Harry Gregson-Williams took over for doing the music, damn he really created an emotional connection to Solid Snake and the game as a whole. Sons of Liberty brought it up another gear with a really spruced up and modernised version, my favourite is the Snake Eater's which really gives a sense of heroism about Snake himself and really brings out the best of the jungle elements from within. Gun of the Patriots I haven't played but got a fair idea about what happens and the theme again fits around it. To me, this is a theme that doesn't grow tiring and evolves to have it's own personality with each game, so while you know it's MGS, you can't confuse each theme with another one from the series. Listening to it again now gets me hyped!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:37 AM
"Original Blade"
WWE European Champion

Blade is a Television Champion...Blade is a Television Champion...Blade is a Television Champion...Blade is a Television Champion...Blade is a Television Champion...Blade is a Television Champion...Blade is a Television Champion...Blade is a Television Champion...Blade is a Television Champion...Blade is a Television Champion...Blade is a Television Champion...
Send a message via Skype™ to Blade

Damn, Phoenix stole my original idea for Zelda music. Because Koji Kondo, quite simply, is a god damn genius and is the perfect musical addition to Miyamoto's games and Ocarina of Time was the very height of his brilliance. All the different pieces of music that just come together to create such an varied range of emotions throughout the game is incredible.

Another series that has really blown me away with the effort and thought put into the music is the Mass Effect series. Bioware have always made sure to put some great music in their games with lead composer Jack Wall at the helm. The games usually use a mixture of some electronica with the usual grandeur of classical music that quite a few other games have. Take this piece from the final mission of Mass Effect 2, a beautifully put together and building piece that really sets the tone so well in the suicide mission.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:05 PM
semi-retired from WZ
ECW TV Champion

Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...

I have to go old school SNES...from Final Fantasy III (Final Fantasy VI in Japan).

The Aria de Mezzo Carattere (The Opera scene). If you have ever played this game, you know exactly what I am talking about, and I need explain no further...but, for those that have never played, it might be the most beautiful piece of music composed for a video game ever. (NOTE: This is a synthesized version, it is not the exact music as it appears in game)

Old 05-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Natural 20 G-Mod

Time for an oldschool classic.

You'd have a very difficult time finding somebody from our generation who's not familiar with THAT track! Oh the memories of Super Mario Bros 3.... This song is arguably one of the best of the NES era because it's among the few that has stood the test of time.

It makes me recall classic stages such as the one when you run through the grassy fields as Goombas jump out of Pipes, or that level in World 2 where the Sun chases you, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. I also enjoyed the remixed version of it used in Super Mario Galaxy.

Quote:
Old 05-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Natural 20 G-Mod

Here's one I'm sure many of you remember....

Goldeneye is to this day still my favorite shooter game. The fun missions, going crazy and shooting everything everywhere, and the epic multiplayer mode. The Water Caverns was one of the funner levels and it has really great background music. I like it because it fits in with the stealthiness needed for so many of the missions in this game, it fits this probably better than any other song from the game.... all while being very catchy! A lot of memories come back when I listen to this, such as unlocking all the cheats and 007 mode.

Quote:
Old 05-26-2010, 04:26 AM
Has a pretty good dick.
WWE Diva's Champion

Via Armbar scored a win over Santino Marella...Via Armbar scored a win over Santino Marella...Via Armbar scored a win over Santino Marella...Via Armbar scored a win over Santino Marella...Via Armbar scored a win over Santino Marella...Via Armbar scored a win over Santino Marella...Via Armbar scored a win over Santino Marella...Via Armbar scored a win over Santino Marella...Via Armbar scored a win over Santino Marella...Via Armbar scored a win over Santino Marella...Via Armbar scored a win over Santino Marella...
Send a message via AIM to Via Armbar Send a message via MSN to Via Armbar

I'm sure there is going to be no shortage of Zelda songs in this thread and for good reasons. Very few games have ever invoked the emotion and depth that the songs from this franchise have. From the first game all the way to the newest hand held, every soundtrack is very solid. For me the best game in the series and my favorite game of all time is Link to the Past. There isn't another game that comes close for me in terms of music and nostalgia. Here is a couple of my favorites:

This song in particular is very memorable for me. It signifies that there is something awesome lurking around these parts. The name Lost Woods relies not just on visuals but sounds. You definitely feel lost but the song keeps playing and reminding you there's a reason why you're there. It's calm enough to allow you to keep your pace and enjoy the scenery but also reminds you that there are things that need to be done.

This one is from once you've entered the dark world. It has the same classic feel but a new sense of urgency and darkness to it. You know that a majority of the adventure is yet to come and that things will only get more difficult and grand along the way. All of the music from Link to the Past is truly an achievement in gaming music. There were very few if any games that matched it's epicness and musical genius at the time. Most haven't been able to match it sense.