WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQForum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 09-08-2011, 07:18 AM
CM_PUNK1995

CM_PUNK1995 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Where Would Chris Benoit Be Today?

Hey Guys, firstly I would just like to point out that this thread is about Chris Benoit the wrestler. I would really appreciate it if no-one talked about the incident.

I think we all know Chris Benoit was without a doubt one of the best ever wrestlers to step inside the squared circle. He is a former world champion, 4 time Intercontinental Champion, 4 time Tag Team champion and the 2004 Royal Rumble winner. I could go on and on about his accolades but im just going to cut to the chase. It's been just over 4 years since he passed away and he is still remembered as one of the best at his profession.

So I've got one question, Where would Chris Benoit be today? He was poised to be ECW champion at Vengeance 2007, but where would we have gone from there?

So share your thoughts and enter a post below.

Chris Benoit 1967 - 2007 R.I.P
Old 09-08-2011, 07:37 AM

frostbite2819 is looking to come up from OCW...

despite his agression and great wrestling skills, one of the best things about benoit was his ability to make people look good. he would probably have never been 'the guy' again, but the wwe by now would have began using him in high profile feuds putting younger guys like dolph, sheamus, and cody over.
also, he may or may not have gotten a shot at 'the streak' by this time.
also, imagine if he would have had a great feud with cena sometime in the last couple years. would have been some epic matches there.

greatest call of all time

Last edited by frostbite2819 : 09-08-2011 at 07:39 AM. Reason: ?
sendpm.gif
Old 09-08-2011, 08:10 AM
Sells seashells by the seashore
Undisputed WWE Champion

Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...

He would have become a glorified "opponent." .....a guy who wins most of his matches but falls short when facing guys on their way to the top; often serving as the stepping stone that vaults them to stardom. ("Hey, he must be good. He beat Benoit!")

The company seemed to be de-emphasizing his presence in the months before he died. At the time, I figured his being shipped to ECW was a way of ending his main event days and possibly reducing his work schedule to suit his advancing age. But don't think I'm saying this because the company had lost respect for him.....actually, it's just the opposite.

Too many years of those flying headbutts off the top rope had slowed him down to the point that he couldn't continue to work the same style as always.....and I think WWE recognized that and were looking to make things easier for him. On ECW, he could still be the respected veteran; thereby having greater importance as a force than he would have on the other two brands, even as he helped develop a new generation of wrestlers gathered under him.

I believe that, had he lived, he would still be able to work an effective match when he was 65 years old; his technical knowledge and ring presence would have guaranteed it.

But I believe his days as a #1 star were behind him.....and it's a shame he didn't get to enjoy his role of elder statesman..
sendpm.gif
Old 09-08-2011, 08:47 AM
K. O. T. R. 2007 Team Undisputed
Mr. Money in the Bank

King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...

I believe Chris Benoit would have been the 2nd or 3rd, most likely 3rd, Superstar to hold the WWE, WCW / World Heavyweight, and ECW Championships. I would like to think that WWECW could possibly be around today if he helped it grow. When Johnny Nitro took his spot in the ECW Title match at Night Of Champions 2007, that is when ECW became WWECW in my opinion. This of course is looking at the glass half full, but this is what I want to believe.

He may have also headlined WrestleMania against Chris Jericho for the WWE / World Championship and then headlined Bound For Glory against Kurt Angle for the TNA World Championship. Who knows??

I don't care if you know!! I don't care if you care!!
sendpm.gif
Old 09-08-2011, 08:49 AM
Grand Slam Champion
WWE Diva's Champion

Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...

I think he would be in a similar position to someone like Mark Henry. The fans respect him and he would occasionally get a PPV main event spot, but likely wouldn't have won the title again unless they had a short roster at some point and needed him to carry it for a while.

He also would likely be putting on wrestling clinics every week with guys like Kidd, Ziggler, Danielson, etc. Probobaly would've been a pro on NXT at some point and definitely would've had a fued for the US and tag titles by now.
sendpm.gif
Old 09-08-2011, 09:53 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

wrestler36 is looking to come up from OCW...wrestler36 is looking to come up from OCW...wrestler36 is looking to come up from OCW...wrestler36 is looking to come up from OCW...wrestler36 is looking to come up from OCW...wrestler36 is looking to come up from OCW...wrestler36 is looking to come up from OCW...

I think with his propensity to take bumps and with him already in his 40s, I think he would've been out of the ring by now. I think he would be a trainer on Tough Enough, down in FCW and/or a booker. This would be assuming that he had no brain damage, as well as still being around. Maybe a periodical match when called out by a young, up and comer, like what Booker is doing right now.
sendpm.gif
Old 09-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Arise Optimist Prime...
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Optimist Prime is looking to come up from OCW...

Regardless of Chris Benoit's ability, which was certainly great - he lacked the charisma and personality to actually be taken seriously as a star. While his matches were entertaining...they should have remained on the mid-card level that used to successfully prep up the crowd for the main event (i.e. Macho Man vs. Steamboat at WM3, or the successful use of the Cruiserweights/mid-carders setting up Monday Nitro for the main events in WCW).

Chris Benoit, like Eddie Guerrero, Dean Malenko, and other perennial mid-carders, would have been inducted into the Hall of Fame regardless. Their careers would have been appreciated regardless. Does it really matter whether they win the Heavyweight title or the Intercontinental title? Mr. Perfect is somebody that I would put in the same league, although Mr. Perfect had more charisma and personality in his pinky toe than Chris Benoit did entirely. Mr. Perfect never received the heavyweight title...but he's still appreciated and in the Hall of Fame anyway.

For niche wrestling fans who like one particular dimension of professional wrestling over the rest (move set/physical ability) - they get something out of promoting robot personalities like this but for literally everybody else (who look at the big picture) it cheapens the event. Hypothetically having Chris Benoit vs. Eddie Guerrero headlining Wrestlemania is essentially like having Mr. Perfect square off against Jake Roberts at a Wrestlemania in the late 80's/early 90's. It would have been entertaining on a skill level basis...but it just wouldn't be that entertaining overall unfortunately and certainly wouldn't sell nearly as much as Hulk Hogan vs. another giant monster, let alone Hulk facing off against an Ultimate Warrior, Andre the Giant, or Randy Savage...

That being said, I would have hoped that Chris Benoit would have continued his very successful and entertaining role at the mid-card level - setting up the stage and supporting the main events at other pay-per-views...

...basically becoming what Dean Malenko was in WCW towards the end of his career. Somebody very well respected with great ability and who was taken seriously as a contender...but wasn't propped up on a pedestal that he didn't deserve (and that would essentially be detrimental to the business overall).

- Prime

Last edited by Optimist Prime : 09-08-2011 at 10:37 AM.
sendpm.gif
Old 09-08-2011, 11:08 AM
F*ck Friends, Rather die wiv ma AK!
ROH Pure Champion

Ruthless-RKO is looking to come up from OCW...Ruthless-RKO is looking to come up from OCW...Ruthless-RKO is looking to come up from OCW...Ruthless-RKO is looking to come up from OCW...Ruthless-RKO is looking to come up from OCW...Ruthless-RKO is looking to come up from OCW...

He probably have retired right about now.. But I could easily have seen some high profile WrestleMania matches with HBK(singles) and having a shot at the streak with Taker..

Benoit was just amazing in the ring, he could make anyone look good and thats a fact! He had that look on his face where he was jsut focused on his match, he went out and just wrestled.. I think he could have gotten a last World title run, obviously we knew he was supposed to become the ECW champion aswel..

He would be like Jericho, didn't matter if he lost, just go out and make the worst wrestlers look good as long ashe put on a good match himself and delivered.
Just when you think you got all the answers....I change the questions...GENIUS!!
sendpm.gif
Old 09-08-2011, 11:52 AM

stmarks2002 is looking to come up from OCW...

He would have been a guy who spent most of his time on Smackdown grooming talent into being stars. I can see him being that transitional champion that Edge was on Smackdown. One thing about Benoit that he doesn't credit for is that he always knew what was good for business and would put over the young guys (Summerslam 2004). Great worker, great matches, etc
Old 09-08-2011, 12:27 PM
ROH Pure Champion

shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist Prime View Post
Regardless of Chris Benoit's ability, which was certainly great - he lacked the charisma and personality to actually be taken seriously as a star. While his matches were entertaining...they should have remained on the mid-card level that used to successfully prep up the crowd for the main event (i.e. Macho Man vs. Steamboat at WM3, or the successful use of the Cruiserweights/mid-carders setting up Monday Nitro for the main events in WCW).
I don't know about that and all depends in how you define Charisma and Personality. If you mean Charisma by talking the mic then I guess not but his presence alone has a lot charisma. Similar to Goldberg when he enters the ring and during a match he knows how to get the fans rallied up.

Also regarding his personality I would say he always played the role of an intense wrestler in his WCW and WWE run and did so successfully. When you saw Benoit in the ring you could see a guy that wanted to kill (no pun intended) his opponents by breaking them down and by submission.

Sure his promo's are so-so but he's adequate but Charisma also involves how you present yourself in the ring and, once he's in the ring, fans watch and pay attention.
sendpm.gif