WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 02-23-2017, 01:50 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...

Of course he never drew. The fact that Vince McMahon never (and will never) brought him back in the true testament. Vince has brought anyone back, no matter what they did to him in the past, who would draw or if there ANY type of monetary value at all. Jarrett was lucky he was a wrestler in the HOTTEST era of pro wrestling where low-and mid card guys could get jobs in either top promotion.

Quote:
I too, for some reason, remember that but can't remember who said it....anyone remember?
Mike Graham said it.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:46 PM
G.O.A.T.
WWE Diva's Champion

relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...

Jarrett was NEVR a draw, he wasnt ever in any main events in WWF and once he went to WCW and became a main eventer the numbers started plummeting even faster so what does that tell you?
Old 02-23-2017, 03:19 PM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

The irony is that the other person who supposedly "never drew a dime" was also a second gen star in that era... Bret Hart. The differences between them aren't as big as you think.

Both grew up in their father's territory and were given above average pushes their. Remember Jeff was originally part of the USWA trades as far back as 1992/1993 which saw Jerry Lawler come in and his dad was due to be the guy who ran the WWF if Vince went to prison.

A bit like Bret, JJ came in as much on his family name as his own talent. Where Bret was able to move past that and prove himself (albiet by working with guys he knew from Stampede) Jarrett never really had that same ability. He could play the cocky heel, but so much of his schtick seemed cribbed from others (The Flair Strut, the Savage like tights) that he wasn't really original.

As an IC champ, he was servicable and he and Jesse James/Roadie were a good match... but to say he DREW in the same way Bret did as IC champ would be wrong... people didn't care JJ was the IC champ, they just wanted him beaten... Bret was IC champ, people WANTED to see him defend it.

Money did screw with Jarrett a lot more - he jumped twice to WCW in an era where doing it once could damage your career... his second run was better, in that he found his groove with the "Don't Piss Me Off" guitar gimmick and his team/friendship with Owen. It's easy to see why they bonded so well, pretty much would have had the same childhood.

Jarrett STILL wasn't drawing though and Austin was right to not want to elevate him or work with him in that world title picture. Some guys in the past were harshly denied, like Rick Rude when Hogan refused... but Austin had the measure of Jarrett. He was mid-card at best and even then, not the mid-carder people WANTED to watch.

The best modern equivalent is Miz before he got that World title push... Miz was able to turn it around through sheer will... and I think Jarrett could have if he'd not left the second time. Austin wouldn't have put him over though - he might have had to wait until Foley or Angle were in the driving seat.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:32 PM

ComeOnVince is looking to come up from OCW...ComeOnVince is looking to come up from OCW...ComeOnVince is looking to come up from OCW...ComeOnVince is looking to come up from OCW...ComeOnVince is looking to come up from OCW...

Nah. Nobody was paying to see Jarrett. They were paying to see Stone Cold, DX, The Rock, etc.

BUT JJ was at his best IMO when he was tagging with Owen, and that duo had the advantage and the disadvantage of being on a hot roster at the hottest time in the company (and industry's) history.

Back in that day when (almost) every feud and title meant something and had time and energy poured into it creatively, I think JJ & Owen were a fun pairing who were, as many have said, best in the mid card. He was excellent IN that spot, but as to the OP: I doubt anyone ever said, "Let's go to RAW to see Jeff Jarrett!!"

The best JJ could have hoped for as far as that goes is if someone wanted to see him smash a guitar on someone's head. Even still, that likely wasn't selling the tickets.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:16 PM
Ooh baby I like it roooaaaaw!
WWF Hardcore Champion

Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...

I almost did a double take when I read the title of this. Jeff Jarrett has never drawn a cent in either WWF or WCW. The guy was just plain bland no matter what he was trying to portray, and he was utterly forgettable in both his WWF runs. We can all agree that the best part of him being on TV was that we were gonna see Debra with him. If anything, WWF was smart in keeping him in the mid-card; can you imagine him having a high profile feud with the Rock or Austin? Plus, I'm one of the multitude that feels it was insane to elevate him to World Champ in WCW. Hell, he shouldn't have been US champ.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:34 AM
Why mail cabbage? Seriously! Why?
Million Dollar Champion

Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...

Sadly, in JJ' s head, he's one of the biggest draws in wrestling history, thinking he can be compared to a Hulk Hogan or Ric Flair. Not even close. Even in TNA he had himself as the tip of the company and still couldn't draw close to Hogan, Flair or pretty much anyone else. It's too bad too because IMO JJ is a great promo and a pretty decent wrestler. I loved his feud with Kurt Angle in TNA. They had some good matches too.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:52 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...

It surprises me that a question that seemingly can only be answered with "No" has so many responses.

I think the Bret "not drawing a dime" example was more figurative, while Jarrett is probably literal.

Miz is interesting though. I agree he is a solid heel and performer. But has he drawn a dime? I am really asking. I have admitted to being a sporadic fan of today's product. But, in my few and far between viewings of Miz, he seemed to also be a solid guy who entertained those already in the building, as opposed to one who drew people to the building. Even his main event at Mania was more about Cena and Rock.

When I hear "draw", I think people who bring people to the show. As a young fan, I would go to house shows. Hulk--at the height of Hulkamania-- was the champ and rarely on the card. Obviously, it was my parents or family/friends who would buy tickets for me and I would be at the mercy of whoever was on the card. But had I been able to buy my own tickets, I would not go for a certain wrestler. At that time, I would be thrilled to see anyone in the WWF. WWF "drew" me at that time. SummerSlam '89 was my only PPV experience and although I was looking forward to Warrior winning the IC belt back from Rude and was mostly looking forward to seeing the Hart Foundation, I would have gone without either of them on the card. I just wanted to see these heroes in action, in person.

More to the point of the post, obviously, as an adult you can decide who to see and when to go to events. I went to Triple H's MSG return in '02 and some SmackDown taping around that time as well. That and one other MSG house show were my only live events as an adult. BUT, I still understand how a fan can be "drawn" by certain performers and not others. Like others have said, Hogan, Andre, Warrior, Stone Cold, Rock, Undertaker, Foley, Hardys, Edge and Christian, Jericho, LOD, Demolition, British Bulldogs, Hart Foundation...these are those who could DRAW me to an event. Sure, HBK and many others are considered draws and I am fine with that. I can appreciate a technical masterpiece from him, but he wouldn't make me, personally, want to buy tickets. Having said that, I absolutely see that many, many people would and have bought tickets to see him; so, he is certainly a draw.

But, Miz, Jarrett...some others from my time might be...King Kong Bundy, Big John Studd, Koko B. Ware, Paul Orndorff, Don Muraco, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Bushwhackers...these are all guys I would be THRILLED to see on the card once I got to my seat and bought my program. But I am not sure that any of them drew me to the building. It was more the collection of stars, rather than these guys individually. (Honestly, I grabbed these out of the air for various reasons--Studd and Bundy's size, Hacksaw, Koko and Bushwhackers' crowd involvement, etc.) and there may be instances where I was wrong. Orndorff's program with Hogan, for example, would have drawn me actually.

I just think there is a difference between making money with merchandise, etc. and DRAWING A DIME. Could just be my opinion and that is ok. But, as another example, a guy like Mark Henry has been there forever and has been a solid employee I am sure--but never once made me buy a PPV or even turn on a free episode of Raw. I would say Mark Henry never drew a dime. Whereas, the New Age Outlaws were draws because they could get people to go to a show just to yell along with their entrance. That is how I view drawing. Do Enzo and Cass draw? Or are you glad they are there, once you are already there, because their entrance is fun? Again, I am really asking. Separating who puts the people in the seats and who simply entertains them once they are there seems different to me.

Last edited by HeenanGorilla : 02-24-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:52 PM
xavyer
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

xavyer is looking to come up from OCW...xavyer is looking to come up from OCW...xavyer is looking to come up from OCW...

As basically everyone said, he never drew anything for the WWE, or WCW for that matter, he even created his own Company (TNA), and still nothin, in fact, i remember the fans literally chanting "drop the belt, drop the belt", he made it about himself, as someone said, he thought he was the real deal when he wasn't, he is one of those guys that no one cares to see, fans can do without him, there wer even coments on the internet when he joined the Bullet Club, coments like how he was going to basically destroy them by joinning them, i don't know if he rubs People the wrong way, but there are some times that i see that Fans actually hate him, i don't wish anything bad for anyone, but i think the best for him is just to retire and work behind the scenes, because honestly, i don't think he draws anywhere.....
Old 03-04-2017, 08:09 PM
Welcome to the Warzone.

Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...

No.

Jeff Jarrett, while a solid wrestler in his own right and decent on the microphone wouldn't have drawn a dime in WWF. Not because of his gimmick mind you, but because he simply wasn't in the same league as wrestlers such as Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Diesel or The Undertaker.

I would say he wasn't in the same league as Razor Ramon, but in fairness; Razor never won the world title either.

He didn't draw in TNA either, people were telling him to drop the belt day in and day out and the only reason he drew in WCW was because he was the only main eventer at the time who seemed like he gave a damn. (Next to Booker T or Scott Steiner)

In short; Jeff Jarrett was Seth Rollins before Seth Rollins became a thing. Difference being that Rollins was actually great in the ring.

#YankeesDodgers2017

Cat of Controversy, Writer of Wrestling
Creator of War Zone
Old 03-05-2017, 12:55 PM
Old School
WWE Diva's Champion

agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Send a message via AIM to agentmichaelscarn

He technically wasn't the guy people were paying to see(That was obviously Austin, Rock, McMahon, Taker etc.) but I found him pretty entertaining during his feud with Chyna during the Attitude Era.