WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 02-23-2017, 07:40 AM
Former WZCW Tag Team Champion
WWE Diva's Champion

Low_Ki is looking to come up from OCW...Low_Ki is looking to come up from OCW...Low_Ki is looking to come up from OCW...Low_Ki is looking to come up from OCW...Low_Ki is looking to come up from OCW...Low_Ki is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Did Jeff Jarrett Ever 'Draw A Dime' In The WWF?

So a few years back I remember watching the Monday Night War DVD that the WWE produced to document their fight with WCW.

During the DVD, the one soundbyte that I always remembered was regarding Jeff Jarrett who 'broke a thousand guitars and never drew a dime'.

My questions is, do you agree with this statement? And Why?

From my perspective, I was an adolescent kid who was far more interested in Debra. Jarrett never jumped off the screen at me. He was a midcarder at best and I kind of thought of him more as an annoyance than anything.

He maybe drew a little money, but I didn't tune in on Friday nights (I'm in the UK, and Raw was on Friday nights) to see him.

I think the point that I gave up on Jarrett was when Austin gave him a stunner on Raw towards the end of his tenure, although that wasn't on him, that was creative.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:13 AM
A Life In Monochrome
WWF Hardcore Champion

Loveless scored a win over Santino Marella...Loveless scored a win over Santino Marella...Loveless scored a win over Santino Marella...Loveless scored a win over Santino Marella...Loveless scored a win over Santino Marella...Loveless scored a win over Santino Marella...Loveless scored a win over Santino Marella...Loveless scored a win over Santino Marella...Loveless scored a win over Santino Marella...Loveless scored a win over Santino Marella...Loveless scored a win over Santino Marella...

Nope. I can't remember the exact timeframe he was around, 94-99 maybe, but I struggle to believe in an era of Hart, HBK, Austin, Taker, Rock, Vader, Nash, Hall and HHH, that anyone was paying their money to see Jeff Jarrett.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:19 AM

Louis is looking to come up from OCW...Louis is looking to come up from OCW...

No. Jarrett was midcard at best in the WWE. He had two stints and both were pretty short. Good worker but was never a draw and was never given a chance to be one.

He almost came close to getting over in the Attitude Era when he started hitting women over the head with the guitar. He was actually getting a pop from the crowds. But then he left for WCW. The rest was history.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:20 AM
WWE Women's Champion

LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...

Perhaps partly due to Jarrett going back and forth between companies and never staying too long in any one run, he's a guy I completely forget about.

Jarrett was a perfectly solid midcarder. He did his job. Never got the big push. So no, I don't think he was ever much of a draw and he also was never really in position to be one.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:25 AM

TeamAwesome is looking to come up from OCW...

For me, Jeff Jarrett was not a draw.

Tuning in to WWE at the time I was wanting to see Stone Cold, The Rock, HHH, etc not Double J.

I didn't watch WCW, so the last thing I remember was him losing the Good Housekeeping match to Chyna at No Mercy 1999, and who remembers his feuds with Al Snow and The Godfather prior to that?

The statement about breaking one thousand guitars and never drawing a dime could not be more accurate.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:42 AM
Mr. Money in the Bank

OYDK is getting some looks on Smackdown...OYDK is getting some looks on Smackdown...OYDK is getting some looks on Smackdown...OYDK is getting some looks on Smackdown...OYDK is getting some looks on Smackdown...OYDK is getting some looks on Smackdown...OYDK is getting some looks on Smackdown...OYDK is getting some looks on Smackdown...OYDK is getting some looks on Smackdown...OYDK is getting some looks on Smackdown...OYDK is getting some looks on Smackdown...

People just did not seem to like Jeff Jarrett, and not in the "he's such a good heel that people hated him" sense, more like in the "I have very little interest in anything Jeff Jarrett does" sense. I think a big part of that was because Jarrett valued himself higher than any fan ever did, and it showed. His promos had a very Dolph Ziggler 2012-esque feel to them and the fans just did not buy it.

I don't think anybody was paying tickets to see Double J, especially not in the Attitude Era. "Didn't draw a dime" is a good description of him.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:26 AM
Cena is no Bruno & Cole is no Solie
WWE Women's Champion

stingray11214 worked a dark match on ECW recently...stingray11214 worked a dark match on ECW recently...stingray11214 worked a dark match on ECW recently...stingray11214 worked a dark match on ECW recently...stingray11214 worked a dark match on ECW recently...stingray11214 worked a dark match on ECW recently...stingray11214 worked a dark match on ECW recently...stingray11214 worked a dark match on ECW recently...stingray11214 worked a dark match on ECW recently...stingray11214 worked a dark match on ECW recently...stingray11214 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Jeff Jarrett was too smarmy of a character to really be much of a draw. Sure, he was a heel. However, he was more of a "just get rid of him" heel, rather than "KICK HIS ASS!!!" heel. He was also a victim of his own arrogance. He was NEVER the wrestler he thought he was. He was a good talent for the Territories. WWE/WCW? Not so much. TNA? Had he just stayed in the background, things might have been a lot different.SO, yes, the fact that he "never drew a dime" tag fits very well, indeed.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:58 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

TDFG is looking to come up from OCW...TDFG is looking to come up from OCW...TDFG is looking to come up from OCW...TDFG is looking to come up from OCW...TDFG is looking to come up from OCW...TDFG is looking to come up from OCW...

No.

I didn't and I don't recall anyone ever saying they tuned into WWE or WCW to see Jeff Jarrett, in fact I was glad he went to WCW because it meant I didn't have to see him on RAW.

He was a solid worker who was pushed by WCW for whatever reason(s) and I guess he was in the right place at the right time and got lucky.

As for TNA, it was the Jeff Jarrett show, anytime he lost the title he quickly regained it and then there was some booking horrors like Monty Brown turning heel when he was the best thing they had going and should have defeated Jarrett instead of becoming his 'Planet Jarrett' colleague.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:52 PM
Luke Harper....I Am Your Father!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

If Jarrett had been born circa 1947 rather than 1967, I think there was a chance he would've been a major star in a number of the various southern based territories. As it was, when Jarrett began wrestling back in 1986, the territory system was on life support and the plug was about to be pulled. Until he showed up in the WWF in mid 90s, Jarrett was really only a star in Memphis or in WCCW due to the working partnership between WCCW and Continental Wrestling Association at the time. Given that his father, Jerry Jarrett, was the founder and one of the co owners of CWA, along with Jerry Lawler, you always have a little nagging wonder if that genuinely had anything to do with whatever opportunities he had. Even then, however, he was still mostly wrestling as either a mid-card or tag team guy just as he was when he came to the WWF. By the time Jarrett was elevated to main event status in WCW, the company was roughly a year from being bought out by the WWF and the quality was nonexistent.

During the Attitude Era, Jarrett simply didn't have the edge that fans preferred top guys to have. Jarrett was basically just a country boy calling everybody slapnuts trying to give the impression that he was a tough guy while toting around a fake guitar to break over someone's head. I never bought into the guy as a main eventer and have always thought that he was a good, solid mid-card and tag team wrestler who was elevated to a spot he didn't have the goods for whether it was in WCW or when he founded TNA. As I said earlier, had Jarrett been born 20 or so years sooner than he was, I think he may have been a bigger star as he really would've fit in more with the times.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
Old 02-23-2017, 01:19 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...

As basically everyone else has said, I agree Jarrett was best served as a mid carder. I enjoyed him during his first run as a heel ic champion. He was prettt good in ring and had some good matches and a good feud with Razor. Didn't enjoy anything he did when he came back during the attitude era.

The OP brought up the sound byte from the MNW series about JJ breaking a thousand guitars but never drawing a dime. I too, for some reason, remember that but can't remember who said it....anyone remember?