WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News
Loading...


Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-15-2017, 01:50 PM
Makaveli31's Avatar
Makaveli31 Makaveli31 is offline
Registered User
WWE Diva's Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 577
Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

Quote:
I'm glad Davey wasn't WWF champion for one reason. This would have cemented what so many people already think;that Davey was better than the Dynamite Kid. He was good but he wasn't nearly as good and Dynamite. History, for most, says that Davey was better because Dyamite never had a singles run and given the time to shine. I get that his career was bascally over when the bulldogs left the WWF in 1988 so he never had the chance to show how good he was. But the fact remains that he was a better wrestler than Davey Boy so far too people realize it.
sendpm.gif
I don't know anyone who thinks Davey was better than Dynamite. Dynamite was a pioneer, an innovator. This is where I give Bret Hart props. He keeps Dynamite's name alive in interviews. When anyone ever asks him "Who was the greatest wrestler he's ever seen?", Dynamite's name ALWAYS comes up
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-15-2017, 01:59 PM
THTRobtaylor's Avatar
THTRobtaylor THTRobtaylor is offline
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,161
THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...
Default

They BOTH were innovative... that's the thing. Davey wasn't always the musclebound guy... his "schoolboy gymnastic" style that he had from day one helped both he AND Dynamite excel. They fed of each other's creativity in those early days to create a new style of tag wrestling. Dynamite didn't do it alone nor was he the centrepiece.

Bret keeps Dynamite's name alive because in the main, he was most like himself. Bret probably rues that Dynamite got hurt and fell out of the fold/with Davey. In his book he mentions going to see him with Brian Knobs when he was World Champ and Dynamite seemed to acknowledge that it could and perhaps SHOULD have been him had he done things differently. Bret probably knew that too... as I said with Davey, if he hadn't... all 3 would have risen up the card together... Davey could have moved up higher than Dynamite in the WWF at that time, as his look was more Vince friendly... but Bret v Dynamite for the IC is something I and no doubt Bret wishes had happened.
__________________
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-15-2017, 02:22 PM
Makaveli31's Avatar
Makaveli31 Makaveli31 is offline
Registered User
WWE Diva's Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 577
Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

Quote:
They BOTH were innovative... that's the thing. Davey wasn't always the musclebound guy... his "schoolboy gymnastic" style that he had from day one helped both he AND Dynamite excel. They fed of each other's creativity in those early days to create a new style of tag wrestling. Dynamite didn't do it alone nor was he the centrepiece.
Dynamite was ALOT smaller than Davey. Dynamite was 5'8, Davey was 6'3 260 just bu virtue of size alone Dynamite was an innovator and a pioneer. Guys Dynamite's size did not get pushes much less main event matches. His blend of superior athletic wrestling combined with his intense in-ring demeanor is what gained him a reputation and put the Bulldogs on the map. Make no mistake Dynamite was the alpha in the relationship. He was the leader and the innovator. Davey Boy learned from Dynamite.

Quote:
Bret keeps Dynamite's name alive because in the main, he was most like himself. Bret probably rues that Dynamite got hurt and fell out of the fold/with Davey. In his book he mentions going to see him with Brian Knobs when he was World Champ and Dynamite seemed to acknowledge that it could and perhaps SHOULD have been him had he done things differently. Bret probably knew that too... as I said with Davey, if he hadn't... all 3 would have risen up the card together... Davey could have moved up higher than Dynamite in the WWF at that time, as his look was more Vince friendly... but Bret v Dynamite for the IC is something I and no doubt Bret wishes had happened.
I agree with that. He pays respect to Dynamite for sacrificing his body so that that he (and guys like Shawn, Jericho, Benoit) could reap the benefits. He understands Dynamite's bitterness but also makes no excuses for him. Dynamite was WAY before his time.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-15-2017, 02:40 PM
THTRobtaylor's Avatar
THTRobtaylor THTRobtaylor is offline
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,161
THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli31 View Post
Dynamite was ALOT smaller than Davey. Dynamite was 5'8, Davey was 6'3 260 just bu virtue of size alone Dynamite was an innovator and a pioneer. Guys Dynamite's size did not get pushes much less main event matches. His blend of superior athletic wrestling combined with his intense in-ring demeanor is what gained him a reputation and put the Bulldogs on the map. Make no mistake Dynamite was the alpha in the relationship. He was the leader and the innovator. Davey Boy learned from Dynamite.



I agree with that. He pays respect to Dynamite for sacrificing his body so that that he (and guys like Shawn, Jericho, Benoit) could reap the benefits. He understands Dynamite's bitterness but also makes no excuses for him. Dynamite was WAY before his time.
More that Dynamite/Tommy was his older cousin... that's why Dynamite seemed senior... he was 4 years older and 4 years ahead in training... Davey was equally innovative... he bulked up over time but initially he was very althletic and had the rolls and handstands etc that Dynamite didn't have... Dynamite innovated the flying side of the game but stuff like the Rocker's hand flips, cartwheels and twirls came from what Davey was doing. It's being a product of that UK school gymnastics system we had back then... Dynamite could work better than most with crisp offense... but Davey was always the more agile on his feet and off them... As much as revisionist history puts Dynamite as being the guy who got them their break and allowed Davey to tag along, it was Davey's success in World Of Sport as Young David that got him noticed... Dynamite being further ahead just greased that wheel.

You said you can't understand people saying Davey was better, I don't get anyone saying Davey was lesser... they just weren't, one was a few years younger/less experienced is all.
__________________
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-15-2017, 03:01 PM
Makaveli31's Avatar
Makaveli31 Makaveli31 is offline
Registered User
WWE Diva's Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 577
Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

Quote:
As much as revisionist history puts Dynamite as being the guy who got them their break and allowed Davey to tag along, it was Davey's success in World Of Sport as Young David that got him noticed... Dynamite being further ahead just greased that wheel.
I think it was Dynamite's series of matches with Tiger Mask in Japan that got him noticed. The WWE had the Junior Heavyweight Division at the time and Tiger Mask was one of their guys as a result of a partnership with New Japan. Dynamite and Tiger Mask engaged in a legendary feud in Japan in the early '80's that spotlighted the innovative wrestling of the junior heavyweights. Dynamite won the Junior Heavyweight title in 1984 before his pairing with Davey Boy.

Last edited by Makaveli31 : 02-15-2017 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Spelling Errors
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-15-2017, 03:05 PM
Makaveli31's Avatar
Makaveli31 Makaveli31 is offline
Registered User
WWE Diva's Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 577
Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

Quote:
You said you can't understand people saying Davey was better, I don't get anyone saying Davey was lesser... they just weren't, one was a few years younger/less experienced is all
Not lesser but as a far as ring generalship and just pure wrestling. Dynamite was always ahead of Davey Boy. Davey Boy obviously had the athletic talent and the look but you put Davey Boy in Dynamite's 5'8 frame it wouldn't have worked so well. Dynamite was a natural underdog with the personality of a pitbull.

Last edited by Makaveli31 : 02-15-2017 at 03:05 PM. Reason: errors
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-15-2017, 03:52 PM
THTRobtaylor's Avatar
THTRobtaylor THTRobtaylor is offline
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,161
THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli31 View Post
I think it was Dynamite's series of matches with Tiger Mask in Japan that got him noticed. The WWE had the Junior Heavyweight Division at the time and Tiger Mask was one of their guys as a result of a partnership with New Japan. Dynamite and Tiger Mask engaged in a legendary feud in Japan in the early '80's that spotlighted the innovative wrestling of the junior heavyweights. Dynamite won the Junior Heavyweight title in 1984 before his pairing with Davey Boy.
Nope, they were noticed long before that, remember Rollerball Rocco was regularly on the cards with them in England and he was big in Japan... They went to Stampede first and Bret and Bruce had both been to the UK... Like it or not for his youth, Davey was the bigger star in the UK at the time - he was headlining shows with Big Daddy on TV with 15m+ viewers... Dynamite was mid-card. Sure that's not down to ability as such, but Davey always had the star quality.. he just matured over time into the star he was destined to be... Davey became a ring general with experience of the US scene rather than the Japanese scene... you can't say by those IYH matches/run with Owen that he wasn't as good if not better as a "ring general" than Dynamite ever was.

Whether he got the title or not, he was always valued in the WWE/F because he was that ring general guy.
__________________
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-15-2017, 04:22 PM
Makaveli31's Avatar
Makaveli31 Makaveli31 is offline
Registered User
WWE Diva's Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 577
Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

Quote:
Nope, they were noticed long before that, remember Rollerball Rocco was regularly on the cards with them in England and he was big in Japan... They went to Stampede first and Bret and Bruce had both been to the UK.
Well I was specifically referring to your point about Davey following Dynamite to the WWF but OK that's true. They were both "discovered" in the UK. Dynamite didn't start making a name for himself until he entered Stampede Wrestling and subsequently Japan.

Quote:
Davey became a ring general with experience of the US scene rather than the Japanese scene
I don't think he really became a "ring general". One that puts together the matches and spots a la Bret, Flair, Dusty, Shawn etc....if you go by what Bret says in his book, Davey's most famous match was put together solely by Bret and he basically carried Davey through the match spot for spot. He did praise his athletic talent though.

In Bret's book he says he and Dynamite put together the matches between the Harts and Bulldogs while Niedhart and Davey Boy sat there with dumbfounded looks and I don't remember Davey being involved in any classics that didn't have a Hart member involved. He was a SOLID worker and had talent but NOT a ring general on par with Bret or Dynamite. All you have to do with looks at the classic matches Dynamite had in Japan as proof of extraordinary work rate and overall work ability of Dynamite.

I just remember watching the Bulldogs as a kid and when Dynamite tagged in you knew you were going to see something special. While I loved Davey and enjoyed watching him perform he was nothing like Dynamite who was true "Dynamite"

Last edited by Makaveli31 : 02-15-2017 at 04:26 PM. Reason: grammar
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-15-2017, 04:38 PM
THTRobtaylor's Avatar
THTRobtaylor THTRobtaylor is offline
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,161
THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...
Default

By the time we get to the period the OP is talking about, Davey absolutely was a ring general. There was a reason he was #2 in the Shawn Rumble and last eliminated and always ended up final 4 or there abouts from an early spot. The Owen/Davey Team, his European run... even the Allied Powers, he was the guy putting it together most of the time even if the Kliq were making life difficult.
__________________
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-15-2017, 04:53 PM
Makaveli31's Avatar
Makaveli31 Makaveli31 is offline
Registered User
WWE Diva's Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 577
Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

Quote:
By the time we get to the period the OP is talking about, Davey absolutely was a ring general. There was a reason he was #2 in the Shawn Rumble and last eliminated and always ended up final 4 or there abouts from an early spot. The Owen/Davey Team, his European run... even the Allied Powers, he was the guy putting it together most of the time even if the Kliq were making life difficult.
I don't know. If he was such a "general" he wouldn't have let Shawn shit all over him in Europe. He got pushed because of his look no question. He was a talented worker. Able to work with Shawn or Diesel but as far as command presence in the ring I always found it lacking in Davey Boy. He just didn't have that type of personality to take control. He was more of a follower and that'ss what ultimately got him in trouble. That's the vibe I got watching the Bulldog.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"
Contact Us - Clear Cookies - Lost Password - WrestleZone Forums - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Top - AdChoices