WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 02-05-2017, 09:46 AM

RIPbossman is looking to come up from OCW...RIPbossman is looking to come up from OCW...RIPbossman is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Who Had More Impact On Wrestling History; Kevin Nash Or Randy Savage?

Serious question. Who had more impact on wrestling history, Kevin Nash or Randy Savage?

Nash had a more imposing look, but I feel thats the only attribute he has over Savage. Ring work, mic work and personality go to Randy.

Randy rose to being the number 2 wrestler in WWE (passing Hogan was an unreasonable goal). He was a huge part of the Rockin Wrestling Era and his "Mega Powers Explode" storyline is one the most memorable in WWE history, as were his matches with Steamboat, Warrior and Flair.

However, I give the nod to Nash. When he and Scott Hall were first appearing on Nitro, the wrestling world was shook up. He and Hall were integral to the success of the NWO storyline, initially seeming to be invading from WWF. This storyline altered the course of wrestling history by making WCW the clear leaders of sports entertainment, beating Raw over 80 weeks in a row. The credibility of WCW shot up and made them legitimate competition for WWE.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:00 AM
Future Endeavored
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

TEIWCSCSAATBHPHASP is a member of the JOB SQUAD

@RIPbossman Beware of the influx of IWC smarks refusing to vote for Kevin Nash just because he can't wrestle like a wrestling robot smarks want to see. My vote will have to go to Nash because Savage was never allowed to be the top guy for years like Hogan did. Plus, WWF's World Champs were babyfaces the vast majority of the time, while the NWA/WCW benefitted more from World Champions who were heels.

Nash made a longer lasting impact with the entire nWo storyline, granted that the nWo would be nothing without Hogan's heel turn, but Nash and Hall were way more valuable as the heart and souls of the NWO due to the factor of being cool heels, while Hogan came off as a cartoony supervillain from a comic book. Before IWC smarks come on and bash Nash for being supposedly responsible for booking WCW into oblivion, blame Hogan for his Creative Control clause and his refusal to step aside for the likes of Nash, Hall, Sting, Steiner, Goldberg, Booker T, DDP and Bagwell, and also blame Ted Turner/Time Warner for their stupid Standards And Practices rule book that prevented Nash (booker) from being able to run the Attitude Era-esque storylines, since Bischoff wanted to keep up with the Attitude Era over in the WWF. Being denied a chance to run the edgy Attitude Era down south, Nash was limited to doing silly comedy skits with Ric Flair in a Mental Asylum, the mysterious hummer driver that ran over Rick Steiner, and dumping sewage and fecal matter on Randy Savage's limousine.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:35 PM
WWE Women's Champion

LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...

Savage. Not even close. Better performer in every regard and was a top guy for twice as long as Nash. Both got a year long run as WWF champion....Savage got his in 88. When Hogan was around. Much harder to do. Nash got his run in 95 when they were rebuilding and basically all of the famous stars from WWFs first popular era were gone.

The NWO was monstrous and Nash was integral. However, he was dwarfed by both Hogan and the overall NWO brand where guys became replaceable and the logo and brand itself were the biggest stars.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:39 PM
WWE Women's Champion

LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...LBGetBack scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPbossman View Post
Serious question. Who had more impact on wrestling history, Kevin Nash or Randy Savage?

Nash had a more imposing look, but I feel thats the only attribute he has over Savage. Ring work, mic work and personality go to Randy.

Randy rose to being the number 2 wrestler in WWE (passing Hogan was an unreasonable goal). He was a huge part of the Rockin Wrestling Era and his "Mega Powers Explode" storyline is one the most memorable in WWE history, as were his matches with Steamboat, Warrior and Flair.

However, I give the nod to Nash. When he and Scott Hall were first appearing on Nitro, the wrestling world was shook up. He and Hall were integral to the success of the NWO storyline, initially seeming to be invading from WWF. This storyline altered the course of wrestling history by making WCW the clear leaders of sports entertainment, beating Raw over 80 weeks in a row. The credibility of WCW shot up and made them legitimate competition for WWE.
You're seemingly forgetting that Hogan's shocking turn is what really made the NWO....and he turned by legdropping Savage. Savage was one of their major foes early on, and then he joined and was basically only below Hogan in importance to the group at that point.

Honestly, even though Nash and Hall started the whole thing and Nash was a constant key presence.....you could've replaced him with a lot of guys and the whole thing still would've worked. It was the story itself, and Hogan's turn that really made the whole thing take off.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:43 PM
Future Endeavored
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

TEIWCSCSAATBHPHASP is a member of the JOB SQUAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBGetBack View Post
You're seemingly forgetting that Hogan's shocking turn is what really made the NWO....and he turned by legdropping Savage. Savage was one of their major foes early on, and then he joined and was basically only below Hogan in importance to the group at that point.

Honestly, even though Nash and Hall started the whole thing and Nash was a constant key presence.....you could've replaced him with a lot of guys and the whole thing still would've worked. It was the story itself, and Hogan's turn that really made the whole thing take off.
To be fair, Savage was the one nWo member that was replaceable and nWo would still do fine with or without Savage. The integral part of the nWo is Kevin Nash, and in order for the New World Order faction to work, you need at least a Hogan, a Hall and/or a Nash. I'm sorry, but Savage's feud with Diamond Dallas Page was a midcard feud.

By the late 1990s, Nash was better than Savage at that point, and to be honest, the NWO just wouldn't even be the same without the original Big Three of Hogan, Nash and Hall.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:02 PM
WWE Women's Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eternal Champion View Post
To be fair, Savage was the one nWo member that was replaceable and nWo would still do fine with or without Savage. The integral part of the nWo is Kevin Nash, and in order for the New World Order faction to work, you need at least a Hogan, a Hall and/or a Nash. I'm sorry, but Savage's feud with Diamond Dallas Page was a midcard feud.

By the late 1990s, Nash was better than Savage at that point, and to be honest, the NWO just wouldn't even be the same without the original Big Three of Hogan, Nash and Hall.
Savage was the ONE guy that was replaceable? LOL. Couldn't do without Scott Norton, huh? Almost everybody was replaceable after awhile. The group itself became the star. Look, Nash was great in the group. But Savage had the better overall career.

Last edited by LBGetBack : 02-05-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:09 PM
Mr. Money in the Bank

OYDK is getting some looks on Smackdown...OYDK is getting some looks on Smackdown...OYDK is getting some looks on Smackdown...OYDK is getting some looks on Smackdown...OYDK is getting some looks on Smackdown...OYDK is getting some looks on Smackdown...OYDK is getting some looks on Smackdown...OYDK is getting some looks on Smackdown...OYDK is getting some looks on Smackdown...OYDK is getting some looks on Smackdown...OYDK is getting some looks on Smackdown...

If I give the edge to Nash here, it's strictly because of his involvement in the NWO. The NWO can be credited for starting the greatest boom period wrestling has ever seen and probably ever will see, and although Nash doesn't single-handedly deserve the credit for that, it would be stupid to act as if he wasn't the second most integral factor in the group which brought it about. I'm no fan of Nash, I personally think he's one of the most overrated wrestlers in history while Savage is one of my favorites, and while Savage is undoubtedly much higher on the GOAT list, the question is impact and very few people had a bigger impact on wrestling history than the NWO.

At the same time, if I was going to make an argument for the Macho Man, I would point out that Savage likely influenced a far greater number of future wrestlers than Nash did. Also, he was probably the first real full-package of the modern era and is still one of the most complete wrestlers of all time. Without the NWO this isn't even a question, but their cumulative effect on the business can't be denied. Nash was a huge part of that.

Without Savage, wrestling history probably follows the same path. Without the NWO, who the hell knows where the business would be today.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:31 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

ilapierre is looking to come up from OCW...ilapierre is looking to come up from OCW...ilapierre is looking to come up from OCW...

You lost me at..."serious question." Because this isn't even close to a serious question.

Here's a just as "serious question." Who had more of an impact on wrestling? Hulk Hogan or Mick Foley? Or how about this? Who had more of an impact? Ric Flair or Lex Luger? Or how about Bret Hart or British Bulldog?
Old 02-05-2017, 05:44 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

ilapierre is looking to come up from OCW...ilapierre is looking to come up from OCW...ilapierre is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eternal Champion View Post
@RIPbossman Beware of the influx of IWC smarks refusing to vote for Kevin Nash just because he can't wrestle like a wrestling robot smarks want to see. My vote will have to go to Nash because Savage was never allowed to be the top guy for years like Hogan did. Plus, WWF's World Champs were babyfaces the vast majority of the time, while the NWA/WCW benefitted more from World Champions who were heels.

Nash made a longer lasting impact with the entire nWo storyline, granted that the nWo would be nothing without Hogan's heel turn, but Nash and Hall were way more valuable as the heart and souls of the NWO due to the factor of being cool heels, while Hogan came off as a cartoony supervillain from a comic book. Before IWC smarks come on and bash Nash for being supposedly responsible for booking WCW into oblivion, blame Hogan for his Creative Control clause and his refusal to step aside for the likes of Nash, Hall, Sting, Steiner, Goldberg, Booker T, DDP and Bagwell, and also blame Ted Turner/Time Warner for their stupid Standards And Practices rule book that prevented Nash (booker) from being able to run the Attitude Era-esque storylines, since Bischoff wanted to keep up with the Attitude Era over in the WWF. Being denied a chance to run the edgy Attitude Era down south, Nash was limited to doing silly comedy skits with Ric Flair in a Mental Asylum, the mysterious hummer driver that ran over Rick Steiner, and dumping sewage and fecal matter on Randy Savage's limousine.
Do you have any idea how ignorant you sound? Just because there are people out there who'll disagree with you doesn't make them 'smarks'. People will disagree with you because you're not being objective. Plain and simple. Anybody who followed the NWO realizes it was Scott Hall who made the Outsiders tick. When Hall was out of action, Nash was always stale. Nash was always along for the ride. He couldn't carry a company, not even close. He was just a big tall Roman Reigns of his time. He had absolutely nothing on Randy Savage - the greatest wrestling entertainer of all time besides maybe Shawn Michaels. And Savage's year in the New World Order was far more memorable than anything Kevin Nash did in his career..What was Nash's most memorable career moment? Beating Bob Backlund in a squash match? Booking himself to beat Goldberg's streak in a controversial ending? The fingerpoke of doom moment which led to the downfall of WCW? Seriously. What defines Nash? Nothing. Just his affiliation with people who were charismatic. Savage's charisma and character and wrestling ability were off the charts.

And one last thing. Have you ever watched Kevin Nash wrestle live? He was a god awful terrible wrestler and just as poor an in ring entertainer. I watched him fight Triple H 15 years ago and it was hands down the worst wrestling match I'd ever seen. And I was a big Nash fan at the time. It was a huge yawn fest..The only thing that would have been worse is watching Scott Steiner try to wrestle. That guy is probably the worst wrestler in wrestling history. Couldn't perform his way out of a paper bag..

Last edited by ilapierre : 02-05-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:51 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYDK View Post
If I give the edge to Nash here, it's strictly because of his involvement in the NWO. The NWO can be credited for starting the greatest boom period wrestling has ever seen and probably ever will see, and although Nash doesn't single-handedly deserve the credit for that, it would be stupid to act as if he wasn't the second most integral factor in the group which brought it about. I'm no fan of Nash, I personally think he's one of the most overrated wrestlers in history while Savage is one of my favorites, and while Savage is undoubtedly much higher on the GOAT list, the question is impact and very few people had a bigger impact on wrestling history than the NWO.

At the same time, if I was going to make an argument for the Macho Man, I would point out that Savage likely influenced a far greater number of future wrestlers than Nash did. Also, he was probably the first real full-package of the modern era and is still one of the most complete wrestlers of all time. Without the NWO this isn't even a question, but their cumulative effect on the business can't be denied. Nash was a huge part of that.

Without Savage, wrestling history probably follows the same path. Without the NWO, who the hell knows where the business would be today.
So you're saying that without the NWO, we wouldn't have John Cena and Randy Orton winning 16 and 12 world titles? We wouldn't have Triple H main eventing every Wrestlemania? We wouldn't have a 2.4 rating ever week? We wouldn't have the absolute worst period in all of wrestling history without the NWO? Wrestling future followed from the NWO and that future is god awful. Had we had only 'Savage' perhaps wrestling would actually be watchable???