WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 01-28-2017, 11:59 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Neidhart didn't have the workrate or charisma that other similarly sized men did in that day.
He reached his full potential. He was perfect as a tag team wrestler.
sendpm.gif
I agree. He was only 6'2 which is rather short for a near 300 pounder. A singles guy at least. He was the perfect "power" in a "power and finesse" type tag team like like the Hart Foundation. He could go toe to toe with the likes of the Road Warriors, Demolition, and Powers of Pain. As far as a singles push? I don't know. It depends on your definition of a push. Maybe string together a couple of wins on Superstars of Wrestling or Primetime Wrestling? Sure I could see it. But an upper mid card push or ever a title match push? No way. He just couldn't command the type of attention that a big name singles star should. So solid tag team wrestler but he needed a guy like Bret to make that tag team main-event caliber and MAYBE a lower card JTTS or gets the occasional win guy but that's it.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:37 PM
Future Endeavored
WWE Women's Champion

LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli31 View Post
I agree. He was only 6'2 which is rather short for a near 300 pounder. A singles guy at least. He was the perfect "power" in a "power and finesse" type tag team like like the Hart Foundation. He could go toe to toe with the likes of the Road Warriors, Demolition, and Powers of Pain. As far as a singles push? I don't know. It depends on your definition of a push. Maybe string together a couple of wins on Superstars of Wrestling or Primetime Wrestling? Sure I could see it. But an upper mid card push or ever a title match push? No way. He just couldn't command the type of attention that a big name singles star should. So solid tag team wrestler but he needed a guy like Bret to make that tag team main-event caliber and MAYBE a lower card JTTS or gets the occasional win guy but that's it.
I'm not saying a champion, but like....Big Boss Man level. Jim Duggan level. Solid midcarders who win their share of matches and feuds, as opposed to basically an undercard jobber.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:26 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
I'm not saying a champion, but like....Big Boss Man level. Jim Duggan level. Solid midcarders who win their share of matches and feuds, as opposed to basically an undercard jobber.
Possible but both Boss Man and Duggan had great charisma and great stand alone characters that were larger than life. Niedhart really had no identity outside of the Hart Foundation. I don't think Niedhart could be successful in an extended feud leading to a PPV match. I just don't think he had kind of identity had would capture and hold a crowd's imagination for the long haul.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:38 PM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

Could he have been a decent mid-card level guy at the level of a Big Boss Man or Hacksaw Jim Duggan? Sure, I think so because in terms of power, he had the advantage over either of them and I think he had enough personality to carry himself in that rage. I could've seen him being used as a potential challenger for someone like Hennig or Bret Hart, maybe even HBK, when it came down to the Intercontinental Championship but that's as far as I could see him going.

I couldn't see Neidhart as the Braun Strowman of the late 80s to early 90s because he just didn't cut as impressive a figure. Strowman is legitimately close to being 7'0" and is genuinely well north of 350 lbs; guys Strowman's size don't usually have his degree of muscular development. He still has the aspect of a powerlifter, but he's also got a good deal of definition, especially for a guy as heavy as he is. Anvil was a powerhouse, no question and could definitely be intimidating, but when you look at Strowman with his build, his look and his speed, then I just don't see Anvil on his level.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
Old 01-29-2017, 05:16 AM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

They actually split the Harts twice before they finally ended... first off in 1989 and then in 90... The Rockers winning was meant to be the last hurrah for the Harts and Neidhart was on the outs. It was only when he agreed a new deal they put them back together for the last run till Mania 7.

The first time, Neidhart could actually have done some good stuff in the singles division as a heel. He wouldn't have been close to a title (unless it was to put Bret over in the IC division) but he would have been a good "short feud" for the house shows for Hogan, Warrior or Savage - much like how they used Perfect, Warlord and the like in those days.

The problems Jim had were his drug use and the lawsuit against an airline that Vince lent him money for... Bret talks a lot about it in his book as being the reason they decided to put the team back together both times as Vince wanted his money back and if he couldn't get it, he'd take it out of Neidhart another way...with the shitty gimmicks he had.

Forget height for a moment - what you had with Neidhart in the late 80's was a strong, tough guy who could talk better than a lot of the roster. He'd have been able to take on Hogan and Savage on the mic and make it believable... he could sell a turn on Bret as "the weak link" much as Shawn did with Marty. His former NFL background could have been used to "legitimise" him. He was a better all rounder than Dino Bravo, Hercules and Akeem - perhaps not as good in the ring or charisma wise as Big Bossman but not far off.

Comparing him to a Braun Strowman today would be a mistake... that's clearly where they went with The Warlord and to a lesser extent the Barbarian. This would be more the Rhyno style push - good for a short run against the top guy, then settle into the mid card as a "bump in the road" for the next big faces.

Last edited by THTRobtaylor : 01-29-2017 at 05:19 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:36 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...

I do not think Jim would have made it as a solo star. He worked well with Bret. he also had some excellent moments in matches like Survivor Series 1989 - when he helped the Rockers pull off some wicked fun moves. Much like the Hart Foundation frequently did.

Sadly, he did keep getting fired. Wasn't conducive to a long term push as a solo star.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:29 AM
WWE Women's Champion

harrythem is looking to come up from OCW...harrythem is looking to come up from OCW...harrythem is looking to come up from OCW...harrythem is looking to come up from OCW...harrythem is looking to come up from OCW...harrythem is looking to come up from OCW...

To me, Neidhart, as a single wrestler, was about one step up from Mr Hughes in terms of "who gives a fuck". He was a squat fat guy, who could shout but wasn't particularly charismatic and, in the ring, couldn't work for shit.

Look at it this way, Summerslam 97 was built around the Hart Foundation and their matches having stipulations...Anvil even had the stip if a Hart lost he'd shave his goatee off (which he never did) but, he was so shite, he didn't even have a match on an event built around the thing he was a part of.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:30 AM
Future Endeavored
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

TEIWCSCSAATBHPHASP is a member of the JOB SQUAD

Tell me about it @harrythem, even Yokozuna would have been a better alternative for the Hart Foundation than Bruce Hart, Jim Neidhart and Brian Pillman could all ever equate to relevance.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:21 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...

I always viewed him as rightfully placed as a lower mid carder. He could have possibly turned heel and a had mini program with Bret for the ic title during his first run, although Bret had good competition during that era.

The highest I could see Jim going would be a feud with Bret in 95. Jim had his heel run with Owen and. Oils have continued that into 95 when Bret didn't have anyone to really work with.

Neidhart, I always saw as the weak link of the Hart foundation stable. I think he's lucky to have gone as far as he did.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:50 AM
Future Endeavored
WWE Women's Champion

LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THTRobtaylor View Post
They actually split the Harts twice before they finally ended... first off in 1989 and then in 90... The Rockers winning was meant to be the last hurrah for the Harts and Neidhart was on the outs. It was only when he agreed a new deal they put them back together for the last run till Mania 7.

The first time, Neidhart could actually have done some good stuff in the singles division as a heel. He wouldn't have been close to a title (unless it was to put Bret over in the IC division) but he would have been a good "short feud" for the house shows for Hogan, Warrior or Savage - much like how they used Perfect, Warlord and the like in those days.

The problems Jim had were his drug use and the lawsuit against an airline that Vince lent him money for... Bret talks a lot about it in his book as being the reason they decided to put the team back together both times as Vince wanted his money back and if he couldn't get it, he'd take it out of Neidhart another way...with the shitty gimmicks he had.

Forget height for a moment - what you had with Neidhart in the late 80's was a strong, tough guy who could talk better than a lot of the roster. He'd have been able to take on Hogan and Savage on the mic and make it believable... he could sell a turn on Bret as "the weak link" much as Shawn did with Marty. His former NFL background could have been used to "legitimise" him. He was a better all rounder than Dino Bravo, Hercules and Akeem - perhaps not as good in the ring or charisma wise as Big Bossman but not far off.

Comparing him to a Braun Strowman today would be a mistake... that's clearly where they went with The Warlord and to a lesser extent the Barbarian. This would be more the Rhyno style push - good for a short run against the top guy, then settle into the mid card as a "bump in the road" for the next big faces.
Great post. You get it.

These other people saying "no", and then just repeating what actually happened don't seem to get it. I know he DIDNT make it. But he was never really in the game, as a solo guy. I'm saying "if". If he actually had a solo run without being fired, while actually getting a bit of a push and being featured a bit(none of that ever happened) would it have worked.