WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 11-30-2016, 03:59 PM
Juventino 4 LiFe

Emmet is looking to come up from OCW...Emmet is looking to come up from OCW...Emmet is looking to come up from OCW...Emmet is looking to come up from OCW...
Send a message via MSN to Emmet
Default The Period Following the End of the AE

So I've read and heard numerous times how after WMX7, when Austin turned heel, that the numbers in the ratings collapsed and house show numbers also dwindled.

I know from personal experience that the interest in wrestling was waning in the months leading up to WMX7. From a personal POV it seemed like there was only 2 or 3 of us at school who still watched it by early 2001, compared to a year previous when half of my year seemed to be watching the product.

However was it all over Austin turning heel? Or do people think that the cycle was simply over and people lost interest in the WWF following WMX7? Would it have happened even if Austin had stayed as a face? Was the boom period over regardless?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:03 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...

I think the death of WCW had a lot to do with the declining interest in professional wrestling by the early 2000's. I remember during the height of the Wars it was incredible to go back and forth and see which show was going to go over the top and pull out the stops to try and top the other show. When the NWO and Stone Cold/Rock was hot there was no time period hotter so naturally there was no where to go but down. I compare this time period to the period just after the Hulkamania era of the 80's where a lot of the superstars from era either left or transitioned.

But my main point is that WCW was completely unwatchable during the Russo era and turned ALOT of fans off the product. It was a no contest between RAW and Nitro. I don't think it all over Austin turning heel but a lot of storyline continuity was lost during this time period as well. Once creative went under the control of Stephanie McMahon all was lost. It was just absurd storyline and after absurd storyline
Old 11-30-2016, 07:06 PM
WWE Women's Champion

johnbragg is looking to come up from OCW...johnbragg is looking to come up from OCW...johnbragg is looking to come up from OCW...johnbragg is looking to come up from OCW...johnbragg is looking to come up from OCW...johnbragg is looking to come up from OCW...johnbragg is looking to come up from OCW...

A few things came together.

One big issue was the end of the Monday Night Wars. PArt of the drama of pro wrestling in the 1990s was the WCW-WWF rivalry. WCW rose up with the NWO. WWF made a comeback with DX and Steve Austin. WCW has Goldberg. WWF has The Rock. WCW is reading out the taped RAW results. "Mick Foley Put My Ass In This Seat" beats live Nitro in the ratings.

WCW 2000 was a complete mess, but they could have come back and done something. But in 2001, WCW was gone.

If the Monday Night Wars were a story you were telling, that's the end of the story. Vince McMahon wins, Ted Turner Eric Bischoff and Vince Russo lose. The Invasion angle gets a lot of criticism, but the reality is that WCW as it was at the end just wasn't a threat. There's a reason that the only time the Invasion angle showed a pulse was when they added ECW and Steve Austin.

Sure, there were some guys on the shelf. But the Invasion wouldn't have been a success instead of a failure if Booker T and DDP had Scott Steiner and Jeff JArrett backing them up, much less Hugh Morrus and Lance Storm. (Although Lance Storm Canadianizing all of the WCW midcard titles was fun stuff).

"Will there be a Bound For Glory in 2011, post-Hogan?" That is my question about TNA.

January 4, 2010. Welcome to the TNApocalypse.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:35 AM
WCW TV Champion

Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

That also depends on when you consider the Attitude Era to have ended. A lot of fans consider WM17 the end of the Attitude Era, but there are just as many who feel WM19 was the end.

But I think Austin's heel turn could have been the beginning of something amazing, but WWE chickened out and turned him face again almost immediately. So we'll never know where that could have gone. Personally I feel Austin works better as a heel, and I was REALLY excited to see what they were going to do with him. Then he was face again. A few months later he turned heel again during the Invasion, but it was diluted because we'd literally just seen it. And then BOOM, he's face again. A total waste.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:42 AM
Old School
WWE Diva's Champion

agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Send a message via AIM to agentmichaelscarn

I don't think Austin's heel turn had anything to do with the decline. Whether people want to admit it or not by that point The Rock was the ratings draw. His segments routinely outdrew Austins, so you take him away from the equation and that hurts things(he was gone for 6 months then). Plus on top of that HHH got hurt right after it so he was gone too.

And finally on top of both of them being gone, the biggest draws in WCW(Hogan, Flair, Sting, Goldberg, Hogan, Hall, Nash, Hart) were all gone, so any audience you got that would flip from WCW to watch WWE would tune out if they watched for any of those guys.

So the bottom line is between all the top guys from WCW being off TV and the two biggest non Austin attractions in WWE being on the sideline led to the decline in ratings. Not Austin turning heel.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:38 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...

I consider 19 the end of the attitude era if for no other reason that 18 gave us the ultimate attitude era match.

The rock vs hogan has to be considered attitude era, as does jericho /hunter.

the Five Moves of doom?
Old 12-01-2016, 06:10 PM
Knockout Champion

FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...

I think it was a combination of a few things like the end of the competition like WCW and ECW, Competition is good for business with no other mainstream companies all we had was WWE, Also If a Raw segment was dull you could switch over to Nitro,
This was also around the time of the anticipated WCW invasion storyline which I had high hopes for but just fizzled out dissapointingly and the Austin heel turn you mentioned at that time was in my opinion a horrible idea and Austin and Rocks full time careers were also winding down which couldn't have helped.
Looking back they did do a few good things but I just don't have the same fond memories for that era as I do for other eras even a couple of years later was an improvement
Old 12-01-2016, 08:11 PM
Ooh baby I like it roooaaaaw!
WWF Hardcore Champion

Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...

I have to say it was WCW going under that was the beginning of the end for the Attitude Era. The whole genesis from that period was that WCW was must see TV compared to RAW between '96 and '98. Stone Cold was on the rise in '96, and Vince wanted to make sure WWF stayed relevant. Keep in mind that you had ECW with the edgier product during the 90's, though they posed no real threat to WWF and WCW. Once there was no more competition, there wasn't much of a need for the shock value and T & A, and it gradually started to fade away.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:39 AM
WWE Women's Champion

johnbragg is looking to come up from OCW...johnbragg is looking to come up from OCW...johnbragg is looking to come up from OCW...johnbragg is looking to come up from OCW...johnbragg is looking to come up from OCW...johnbragg is looking to come up from OCW...johnbragg is looking to come up from OCW...

WCW dying was one factor. But another factor was that Attitude had run it's course. 2002 saw "Billy and Chuck's wedding", Hot Lesbian Action, Katie Vick, and, in upstart TNA, masturbating midgets in the other semi-major US promotion.

I'm not saying HLA was as bad as the other three, but people forget there were strong reasons at the time that the sponsors pushed for the PG Era.

"Will there be a Bound For Glory in 2011, post-Hogan?" That is my question about TNA.

January 4, 2010. Welcome to the TNApocalypse.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:17 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbragg View Post
WCW dying was one factor. But another factor was that Attitude had run it's course. 2002 saw "Billy and Chuck's wedding", Hot Lesbian Action, Katie Vick, and, in upstart TNA, masturbating midgets in the other semi-major US promotion.

I'm not saying HLA was as bad as the other three, but people forget there were strong reasons at the time that the sponsors pushed for the PG Era.

That and things were not as interesting after the dream match of hogan/rock.

We had the wcw imports finally showing up as stars and not jobbers, and it was a weird year for headliners.

Hogan should not have been given a nostologia run with the title...just like taker should be nowhere near one today.

the Five Moves of doom?