WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Hall of Fame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 09-12-2013, 08:56 AM

Sundar is looking to come up from OCW...Sundar is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Ken Shamrock Hall of Fame material?

He popularized the Ankle Lock which would go on to be used by guys like Angle and Swagger in the future and his transition from pro wrestling to MMA was one of the first and most famous and successful, he was basically the Brock Lesnar of the Attitude Era. The only reason he never held a world Title was because there were too many stars in WWE at the time.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:06 PM
I'm neat.
WWE Women's Champion

Mac-Ios scored a win over Santino Marella...Mac-Ios scored a win over Santino Marella...Mac-Ios scored a win over Santino Marella...Mac-Ios scored a win over Santino Marella...Mac-Ios scored a win over Santino Marella...Mac-Ios scored a win over Santino Marella...Mac-Ios scored a win over Santino Marella...Mac-Ios scored a win over Santino Marella...Mac-Ios scored a win over Santino Marella...Mac-Ios scored a win over Santino Marella...Mac-Ios scored a win over Santino Marella...

I'm praying you mean WWE Hall of Fame because if you mean WZ Hall of Fame the answer is that's an absolutely absurd thought for at least the next 50 or so years (if it remains 4 people a year.) Let's face the facts here how many world titles does he have? 0... I'm sorry but the truth is titles are a BIG thing in getting into the HOF.

Secondly Shamrock is NOT anywhere near on Lesnar's level. Sure he set the precedent but that is it. How many other scenarios in WWE can we find a superstar come from a different genre of sports or entertainment and succeed. The answer is a lot. Putting it into perspective Shamrock is less than Lesnar who is less than probably 100 other wrestlers. Shamrock is by far and away from being close on this level too.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:22 PM
'Taker Mark

Tom is looking to come up from OCW...

Probably. The guy was a huge part of the attitude era. I remember his feud with Val Venis fondly. The guy may not have been world champion but he is a former IC champ and King of the Ring. Obviously he wouldn't be a headliner but I could definitely see him in a class in the next 5 years or so.

"If you ever disrespect me like that again, I'll rip your throat out, and choke you with your own tongue."
- The Undertaker
Old 09-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Rigistered Post Offender
WWF Hardcore Champion

Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac/iOS View Post
I'm praying you mean WWE Hall of Fame because if you mean WZ Hall of Fame the answer is that's an absolutely absurd thought for at least the next 50 or so years (if it remains 4 people a year.) Let's face the facts here how many world titles does he have? 0... I'm sorry but the truth is titles are a BIG thing in getting into the HOF.

Secondly Shamrock is NOT anywhere near on Lesnar's level. Sure he set the precedent but that is it. How many other scenarios in WWE can we find a superstar come from a different genre of sports or entertainment and succeed. The answer is a lot. Putting it into perspective Shamrock is less than Lesnar who is less than probably 100 other wrestlers. Shamrock is by far and away from being close on this level too.
False. He was NWA World champion.
I think you underestimate how popular Ken was when he left the UFC. It was a huge move for Vince McMahon to get him at the time. He's also a first class UFC Hall of Famer.

That being said. I don't see him as a wrestling Hall of Fame guy. He won some titles in his career but given the number of wrestlers that you could put in ahead of him it just doesn't seem likely. I don't think popularizing a single move is enough to get a guy in as far as contributions to the business go. There's just not enough there to make a good case.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:02 PM
I LIVE IN A #$@%&^!! GARBAGE CAN!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash-LN View Post
False. He was NWA World champion.
True, he was NWA World Heavyweight Champion. However, his win came about during a time when the NWA World Heavyweight Championship meant about as close to nothing as it gets. But, he's still in the history books as a former champion whether or not it ultimately meant anything.

As far as Shamrock goes, I just don't really see it. I think he's a great example of why I've yet to see a pro wrestling/MMA crossover that's produced quality results. They're two different worlds. As an MMA fighter, it's all about being able to legitimately kick ass whereas in pro wrestling you have to be able to come across as if you can kick ass and be entertaining & charismatic while doing it. Whether it be Dan Severn, Ken Shamrock, Quinton Jackson or Tito Ortiz; they just don't really have anything to contribute. In the late 90s, Senator John McCain was able to get a lot of cable companies to pull UFC ppv broadcasts and, as a result, a LOT of money was lost. Shamrock turned to pro wrestling because he was burned out on fighting, allegedly, and he needed to support his family. The man did what he had to do and I personally respect that. Of course, that still doesn't keep a lot of hardcore MMA fans from giving the guy shit over it. When he came to WWF in '97, he was still extremely well known and respected as an MMA fighter. As a pro wrestler, however, the hype far exceeded Shamrock's actual abilities. He had a great look and was athletic, but the guy never connected with fans. He had great intensity and that's a huge plus for an MMA fighter but he had the charisma of drying paint. WWF pushed him pretty hard, including a stint as IC champ that lasted a little over 4 months in October '98. It was the last triple digit IC title run until Orton won it in December '03. But Shamrock quickly just became another face in the crowd, especially after joining The Corporation. In the grand scheme of things, Shamrock's biggest & most memorable moment in wrestling was serving as the special referee in the Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin match at WrestleMania 13.

As an MMA fighter, Shamrock's tarnished his own legacy since getting back into it in 2000. As I said, lot of MMA fans turned on him for going into pro wrestling to begin with. and his MMA career post WWE hasn't exactly been a rousing success. Before getting back into MMA fighting in 2000, he had a pretty respectable record of 23-5-2. Between May 1, 2000 through November 25, 2010, Shamrock fought 15 additional fights and lost 10 of them. Shamrock was well past his prime in 2000 and it showed.

I just don't see Shamrock as really being in any HOF associated with pro wrestling. The most notable thing about Shamrock was that he was a big, well known MMA fighter who got into pro wrestling, became a fairly mediocre pro wrestler, then went got back into MMA and was very mediocre. Take the fact that Shamrock happened to be a major player in MMA and UFC in the early to mid 90s out of the equation and you simply don't have a pro wrestling career that's Hall of Fame worthy.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
Old 09-15-2013, 08:15 AM
'Taker Mark

Tom is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-Hammer View Post
True, he was NWA World Heavyweight Champion. However, his win came about during a time when the NWA World Heavyweight Championship meant about as close to nothing as it gets. But, he's still in the history books as a former champion whether or not it ultimately meant anything.
Couldn't have said it better. R-Truth was NWA World Heavyweight Champion.

"If you ever disrespect me like that again, I'll rip your throat out, and choke you with your own tongue."
- The Undertaker
Old 09-16-2013, 05:14 AM
The current reigning and defending
Undisputed WWE Champion

Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...

As Macios said, I hope you mean the WWE Hall of Fame, as the WZ HOF is definitely a no-no for Kenny.

I am a Shamrock fan, always have been. I loved his style in his WWE run, thought he had a great look, awesome finisher and his theme music is one of my all-time favourites. I still create him on every WWE game (bar WWE13 when he was already on the roster).

However, although he had a decent length IC title reign, won the King of the Ring tournament and was involved in some good feuds and matches, he did only have a pretty short run in the WWE which you could argue rules him out of the HOF, and there are alot more worthy additions to the HOF than Shamrock who have yet to be inducted.

But, as there are a number of wrestlers inducted every year then maybe Shamrock will get added as one of the "filler" members of a HOF class at some point. He will never be considered to headline a class, but due to his KOTR and IC title success, and his fame in the UFC, perhaps someone will judge him worthy of a minor role in a HOF class.

I'd personally like to see it as a Shamrock fan, but I'm not holding my breath.

IT'S A DILAPIDATED BOAT!!!
Old 10-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

tvcolosi is looking to come up from OCW...tvcolosi is looking to come up from OCW...tvcolosi is looking to come up from OCW...tvcolosi is looking to come up from OCW...tvcolosi is looking to come up from OCW...

I would vote for him, one of my favorites from the Attitude era... He was a legit badass, IC champ, tag champ, King of the Ring. Short but very rememberable tenure
Old 10-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Funk U~!

Matty~! is looking to come up from OCW...Matty~! is looking to come up from OCW...Matty~! is looking to come up from OCW...

The thing with Shamrock is as a pro wrestler he basically had a two year run at a major level, despite working territories and japan as well as a brief spell in TNA when it was nothing more than a glorified independent. In my opinion that is nowhere near enough to be considered for any of Hall of Fame, a serious one or the WWE version.

During his WWF tenure he was perfectly decent at the level of a upper mid carder. However, he will always be remember as a lesser WWE King of the Ring in comparison to Bret Hart, Owen Hart, Steve Austin, HHH, Angle, Edge and Brock Lesnar. And his Intercontinental run came at the time when the belt was starting to be slightly devalued compared to its pomp.

He also never really had that one series or epic match that he will be definitively remembered for, his best match from my point of view was with Vader at IYH Cold Day In Hell but it's not like it's remember as an all time classic.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:04 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

ShinobiMusashi is looking to come up from OCW...ShinobiMusashi is looking to come up from OCW...ShinobiMusashi is looking to come up from OCW...ShinobiMusashi is looking to come up from OCW...ShinobiMusashi is looking to come up from OCW...

Shamrock going to the WWE was huge back in the day, back when WWE desperately needed some eyeballs because they were getting smoked by WCW. Shamrock was an MMA god at the time and when they signed him it was a very, very, very big deal in my household. Definitely gave the WWE some legitimacy.

They squandered him completely with some terrible booking when he was first brought in(made him look weak a lot, against guys like Billy Gunn, Jim Neidhardt, and Bulldog, no squash matches to build him up, no manager to make up for his poor mic skills, they didn't even have any proper entrance music for him for about a month). He went back to the UFC and was a HUGE draw because the UFC knew how to market him. Shamrock's UFC run from 2002 to 2004 drew some pretty big numbers. There was just something about the guy that clicked with 18-35 year old men and made them want to buy PPV's, and the WWE failed to capitalize on it because they were hung up on gimmicks and catchphrases, good guys and bad guys.

So I think Shamrock's importance during the Attitude Era is grossly underrated, and he was completely squandered by the WWE, but no, he did not do enough to make a pro wrestling Hall of Fame. I can think of about a dozen ECW guys that did way more for the business.

Last edited by ShinobiMusashi : 10-30-2013 at 06:19 AM.