WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > General Wrestling Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 01-12-2018, 08:45 PM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...
Default Pro Wrestling Illustrated Awards For 2017

We're at that time of year, or around that time, when pretty much anyone and anything involving wrestling journalism or news hands out its best and worst of the year awards. Of course, the PWI awards are generally viewed as being on a much higher order than others, possibly except for the Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards. At any rate, here's Pro Wrestling Illustrated's best of the year:

PWI Wrestler of the Year - AJ Styles
1st Runner Up - Kazuchika Okada
2nd Runner Up - Kenny Omega
3rd Runner Up - Cody

PWI Tag Team of the Year - The Young Bucks
1st Runner Up - The New Day
2nd Runner Up - Dean Ambrose & Seth Rollins
3rd Runner Up - The Usos

PWI Match of the Year - Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship at Wrestle Kingdom 11.

PWI Feud of the Year - Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega
1st Runner Up - Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman
2nd Runner Up - Chris Jericho vs. Kevin Owens
3rd Runner Up - Brock Lesnar vs. Braun Strowman

PWI Most Popular Wrestler of the Year - AJ Styles
1st Runner Up - Shinsuke Nakamura
2nd Runner Up - Braun Strowman
3rd Runner Up - Kazuchika Okada

PWI Most Hated Wrestler of the Year - Jinder Mahal
1st Runner Up - Kevin Owens
2nd Runner Up - Roman Reigns
3rd Runner Up - Sexy Star

PWI Comeback of the Year - The Hardy Boyz
1st Runner Up - Finn Balor
2nd Runner Up - Mickie James
3rd Runner Up - Shelton Benjamin

PWI Most Improved Wrestler of the Year - Jinder Mahal
1st Runner Up - Braun Strowman
2nd Runner Up - Eli Drake
3rd Runner Up - Naomi

PWI Inspirational Wrestler of the Year - Christopher Daniels
1st Runner Up - John Cena
2nd Runner Up - Shane McMahon
3rd Runner Up - Mia Yim

PWI Rookie of the Year - Otis Dozovic
1st Runner Up - Ray Gonzalez Jr.
2nd runner Up - Andy Williams
3rd Runner Up - Hirai Kawato

PWI Woman of the Year - Asuka
1st Runner Up - Alexa Bliss
2nd Runner Up - Charlotte Flair
3rd Runner Up - Sienna

PWI Stanley Weston Award - Jack Brisco

A couple of surprises to this year's list for me and a few I vehemently disagree with.

To me, the Young Bucks are overrated spot monkeys while New Day and the Usos absolutely killed it in 2017 with one fantastic match after the other.

Jinder Mahal being the most improved wrestler of the year is sickening to think about. With that being said, it's easy to see how he got the votes as he literally went from lifetime jobber to winning the WWE Championship within the span of about 5 weeks.

As for Rookie of the Year, Otis Dozovic winning while Velveteen Dream didn't even rank among one of the runners up is a goddamn Greek tragedy.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:24 PM
Trending Worldwide.
WWE European Champion

#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...

The yearly PWI awards are fan voted awards so I can pretty much agree with the majority of the options. However, two of the awards I feel are a bit undeserving.
Quote:
PWI Tag Team of the Year - The Young Bucks
1st Runner Up - The New Day
2nd Runner Up - Dean Ambrose & Seth Rollins
3rd Runner Up - The Usos
In what world are The Usos the fourth best team of the year? I'll give credit where it's due, The Young Bucks are a killer team. They've managed to make a small fortune on the independents without the WWE machine backing them. Their t-shirts are constantly sold out in places like prowrestlingtees and Hot Topic. They're great when they aren't superkicking the literal shit out of everyone. The Usos kick the literal shit out of everyone but have consistanly out performed nearly everyone on the mic this year while putting on phenomenal matches with every team theyve performed with. The Usos rejuvenated a stale division and rejuvenated their characters to be some of the more interesting performers on Smackdown Live. Nothing against The Young Bucks but 2017 was The Usos' year.
Quote:
PWI Most Improved Wrestler of the Year - Jinder Mahal
1st Runner Up - Braun Strowman
2nd Runner Up - Eli Drake
3rd Runner Up - Naomi
Another major problem I have here. Winning the WWE Championship and doing absolutely nothing with it isn't exactly improving in my book. Even if it is, Braun Strowman blew him out of the water in 2017. His feud with Reigns and Lesnar have proven how great of a commodity Strowman has been as one of the few big men left in the WWE. He's glided straight to the top of the Raw roster as perhaps one of the most interesting/over characters in the WWE. Jinder Mahal hasn't gained anything since his title reign other than the moniker of being a former WWE Champion. Strowman beat out Jinder in every conceivable way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSN80 View Post
Hamler's got one of the best minds for wrestling on this site.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:56 PM

jpickens is looking to come up from OCW...jpickens is looking to come up from OCW...

The New day didn't do anything that stood out in 2017 War Machine should've been 1st runner up or GOD as for AJ Styles Okada is just about two years as champion with only one loss taking on a who's who of wrestling and what about Naito or Bobby Lashley both men had a great year.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:10 AM
Trending Worldwide.
WWE European Champion

#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpickens View Post
The New day didn't do anything that stood out in 2017 War Machine should've been 1st runner up.
Completely disagree about The New Day here. Along with The Usos, they've managed to keep the Smackdown Live tag division a float for the entire year with flat out amazing matches. In WWE.com's top 25 matches of the year, Usos v. New Day ranked in both the #11 and #4 spots. Not that War Machine didn't have some memorable matches in 2017 they just didn't come near New Day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSN80 View Post
Hamler's got one of the best minds for wrestling on this site.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:32 PM
Knockout Champion

Kidpolean is looking to come up from OCW...Kidpolean is looking to come up from OCW...Kidpolean is looking to come up from OCW...Kidpolean is looking to come up from OCW...Kidpolean is looking to come up from OCW...Kidpolean is looking to come up from OCW...

I think that the Miz should have been at least a runner up for wrestler of the year. I also would have given Uso's the tag team of the year award. I dislike the Young Bucks although I do understand that they are extremely popular within the IWC. AJ was a good choice as was Asuka. AJ is simply the best wrestler in the world right now imo.

I have no huge problems with any of the award winners. 2017 was actually a solid year for wrestling.

Last edited by Kidpolean : 01-14-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:32 PM
WZCW Grand Slam &
ECW Champion

El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-Hammer View Post

PWI Rookie of the Year - Otis Dozovic
1st Runner Up - Ray Gonzalez Jr.
2nd runner Up - Andy Williams
3rd Runner Up - Hirai Kawato
This horrifies me. This horrifies me greatly. The fact that Ray Jr is just behind Otis Dozovic as Rookie of the Year horrifies me to the must Godly level. It horrifies me to the point that I would jump down the pit of Ahch-To and welcome the Dark Side with open arms.

What the fuck happened to this world?

I think you can figure out who Jr is by looking at the two. You're telling me he's better than Hirai Kawato and the Velveteen Dream? The same Velveteen Dream who had one of the best matches of the year with Aleister Black in all of wrestling? This kid, who's already been wrestling for 3 years and can't even do a basic Dropkick properly, who was so bad far better wrestlers in the company left frustrated that this twerp was getting a far bigger push and far better pay just because his dad is the booker? Go fuck yourself, PWI and hand over your credibility. You clearly don't deserve it.

Watch out, Kenny Omega. Soon enough, he'll be the 'Best Bout Machine'. Just give him another 4 years to see if he can Dropkick properly.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:26 PM

GhettoV1 is looking to come up from OCW...

Ray Gonzalez Jr. is ok I seen him wrestle in Puerto Rico a few years ago. Look for Ray Jr. to wrestle in ROH or NXT before this year is out.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:02 AM

jpickens is looking to come up from OCW...jpickens is looking to come up from OCW...

LAX should've been comeback of the year and in the top 3 runner ups in tag team of the year category as well as OVE I mean come on you have a tag that went from barely a blip on the radar on the indies to becoming IMPACT tag team champions in a program with one of the best factions around as for AJ Styles can't complain and it's good to see that finally the wrestlers of year category wasn't dominated by WWE wrestlers.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:57 AM
WZCW Grand Slam &
ECW Champion

El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoV1 View Post
Ray Gonzalez Jr. is ok I seen him wrestle in Puerto Rico a few years ago. Look for Ray Jr. to wrestle in ROH or NXT before this year is out.
You must have shattered glass in your eyes. I HIGHLY doubt he will be anywhere close to NXT or ROH by the end of the year. There's a level of skill you need for that, not to mention a level of disciple which time and time again he's shown to lack.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:02 AM
Sing about me, I'm dying of thirst
X-Division Champion

Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...
Send a message via Skype™ to Rainbow Yaz

Cody making it that high up the wrestler of the year list is making my eyes bleed. Fuck Cody Rhodes and everything he stands for.

Cody, who wouldn't be in wrestling if it wasn't for his last name, has zero qualities that make him stand out. Bland look, bland moves, bland promos. He is also a gigantic fucking dickbag. He constantly shits on WWE employees on social media, throws a fit whenever WWE tries to use anything related to WCW or Heaven forbid his dad, and despite being the third banana in his own family, makes companies book his shitty wife. He bitches about the Stardust character, despite him initially pitching that idea to creative. He constantly shits on anyone who has an opinion on wrestling that differs from his, and he runs to white knight for his meal ticket (The Young Bucks) anytime they are criticized.

His entire character these days is "My dad was famous so I deserve stuff. WWE treated me bad. Look at me leaching off the popularity of the most overblown faction on the indie circuit."

Seriously, has Cody ever accomplished anything on his own merit?

Usually when WWE castoffs leave WWE, they are able to provide something fairly unique to the indie scene. Be it a crazy character or crazy flippy moves or something unique. Cody provides his last name, average matches, and too much spotlight on his wife.