WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News
Loading...


Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Impact Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old 11-13-2017, 01:50 AM
Navi's Avatar
Navi Navi is offline
With the safety off!!
NWA Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 4,003
Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbragg View Post
Anthem should be looking at 1000, 1500 seat venues to tape in. They still won't fill them easily, but it's a lot easier to get a 1000 seat theater half-filled than a 10,000 seat arena. (Also a lot easier to fill or half-fill it for two or three days of tapings in a row than six days in a row.)
That's why the Mattamy Athletic Centre would be perfect. It's in the old Maple Leaf Gardens which is right downtown Toronto. It's on the subway line and is central. If you are taking Go Transit, you can get off at Union Station and grab the subway up about 7 stops and you're there. It holds about 1,600 people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy1724 View Post
Don't be surprised if they just moved it to Canada's Wonderland in the North Part of Toronto, in all honesty I could see them doing that.
Problem with that is the fact that the park is closed now. After Fearfest is over on Halloween night, the park closes until April or May of the following year. For the first month it's open it only opens on weekends until June. I know because my son worked there years ago when he was in high school. We live about 20 minutes away from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Damn Real! View Post
ROH ran a PPV out of there in like 2012 or 2013. I forget which.



I wonder what kind of attendance they were able to bring in? Might help to gauge how well (or how poorly) Impact might do trying to do the same.
It's also were the WWE does their NXT shows. It's not a bad arena all the seats are close and you have a great view of the ring.
__________________
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-13-2017, 06:10 AM
filthyanimalz filthyanimalz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 98
filthyanimalz is looking to come up from OCW...filthyanimalz is looking to come up from OCW...filthyanimalz is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

Way overdue, Canada with it's rich history in Professional Wrestling deserves a major globally televised promotion and let's be honest mainstream American wrestling fans these days refuse to embrace non PG promotions but prefer the popcorn cinema approach of the WWE.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-13-2017, 12:48 PM
johnbragg johnbragg is offline
Registered User
WWE Women's Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 927
johnbragg is looking to come up from OCW...johnbragg is looking to come up from OCW...johnbragg is looking to come up from OCW...johnbragg is looking to come up from OCW...johnbragg is looking to come up from OCW...johnbragg is looking to come up from OCW...johnbragg is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkist View Post
That would be terrible but i do not know Anthems business model if they even have one that is. I hope not as they should try to fill venues not be in an amusement park setting.
Their business model is "have action-sports content to show on Fight Network and our digital platforms." So all Impact has to do to meet Anthem's minimum goals (and the SonySix contract) is exist and continue to produce TV shows.

I'm not even sure why Anthem seemed hell-bent on keeping TNA out of Billy Corgan's hands, but they were for some reason.
__________________
"Who will be at Wrestlemania in 2014?" That question should drive everything WWE does.

"Will there be a Bound For Glory in 2011, post-Hogan?" That is my question about TNA.

January 4, 2010. Welcome to the TNApocalypse.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-13-2017, 01:17 PM
wrestlingmasters55's Avatar
wrestlingmasters55 wrestlingmasters55 is offline
Registered User
Million Dollar Champion
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal,canada
Posts: 1,366
wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbragg View Post
Their business model is "have action-sports content to show on Fight Network and our digital platforms." So all Impact has to do to meet Anthem's minimum goals (and the SonySix contract) is exist and continue to produce TV shows.

I'm not even sure why Anthem seemed hell-bent on keeping TNA out of Billy Corgan's hands, but they were for some reason.
Yeah, That'S something that does intrigue me as well since the product was starting to gain momemtum with Corgan in charge of creative and his out of the box ideas made the product more entertaining. Now i fell like we're back in the old southern territory days when i was IMPACT and that's not a good thing. Plus with the revolving door they have with talents right now, i feel like we don't have enough time to get invested in the wrestlers before they leave and we get new ones.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-13-2017, 04:17 PM
sikkbones's Avatar
sikkbones sikkbones is offline
Registered User
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 359
sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

Its a northern territory now.

Because that worked out so well for the Tunney's, rogueas, and harts.
__________________


the Five Moves of doom?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-13-2017, 04:21 PM
THTRobtaylor's Avatar
THTRobtaylor THTRobtaylor is offline
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,182
THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...
Default

One thing people seem to miss is that ALL entertainments are being squeezed like never before... England football played 2 qualifiers at Wembley in September, and a big portion of the crowd got in on a 10/$13 deal aimed "at students" when in reality it was open to all. That loophole was left open on purpose because they knew the games were "tough sells" and especially one on the Monday when kids went back to schools so there were still huge swathes of seats untaken.

Slating WWE for cutting their prices is like slating that, it's more important to have the arena appear full or nearly full, even if it costs money... if a "big" sport like England football have to do it, then it's likely smaller ones do too.

There are more big movies, subscriptions, events than ever all competing for those dollars... and wrestling is gonna go down that pile. "drawing a crowd" isn't simple anymore... in the same way that it's not simple to guarantee a movie will do well or a TV show will get ratings.

TNA and Anthem are at the bottom end of this, in reality the only way is up or bust... paying some crowds isn't a terrible thing, in reality it's what was happening at Orlando anyway and has always been part of the biz, even in WCW.

Why did they want it out of Corgan's hands? likely because as someone said, they just need a functional wrestling show and TNA was the only one "off the peg" that could do it... once Corgan got deep into it, he'd change up so much that they'd have no chance to fulfil the deals.
__________________
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-13-2017, 05:20 PM
Papa Pillman's Avatar
Papa Pillman Papa Pillman is offline
I've got more Ho's than Jim Duggan
Million Dollar Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,218
Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...
Default

If smart, Impact would use this situation to recruit some top Canadian indy performers who had big US buzz, but have dealt with visa problems that prevent them from working in American companies. PWG alone really raised the buzz-worthyness of a couple different Canadian acts that are currently dealing with issues wrestling in the states:

Speedball Mike Bailey would seem to be the best option, he was on the verge of being considered as possibly a top 5 indy talent in all of North America just a short year or two ago, and he could carry the X-Division on his own, and also be a player for the heavyweight belts despite his size.

The Super Smash Brothers as well would vastly up the level of the promotion's tag division, while Stu(player Dos) even has the chops to be a single's star.



As for other Canadian names that would be helpful, Ethan Page had strained relations with ROH a couple years back and has appeared to have zero NXT interest despite a solid prolonged stint in EVOLVE; so he doesn't seem to have a lot of next step options here in North America. Page can wrestle, and has the mic and character chops to be a significant piece in Impact's retooling.

Brent Banks would be another great young option. The guy can't even legally drink in America yet, but still boasts a dozen plus matches against the top of the top workers in the business like Micheal Elgin, Zack Sabre, Jr., Jeff Cobb, and Chris Hero. There are a multitude of other solid talents that have been around a little longer, mostly working for SMASH, that would also be worth a look; like TARIK for example.

Also, if Impact wants to go slightly out of the box, and present a character that would quickly draw attention, and possibly create their own "El Generico" type phenomenon, Space Monkey could be a very interesting, popular, and marketable signing.

Though Impact has already snatched up most of the top women from the country(Rosemary, Allie, LVN, for example); The cupboard is still far from bare in the great white North.
__________________
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-15-2017, 11:56 AM
GhettoV1 GhettoV1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 123
GhettoV1 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

Impact can shoot for border towns near New York, New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont to tape Impact Wrestling.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-15-2017, 03:38 PM
Tripleb2k1's Avatar
Tripleb2k1 Tripleb2k1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 159
Tripleb2k1 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

They are taping in Canada, moving the company to the Anthem offices in Toronto & hiring Canadian staff....they are becoming a Canadian company
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-15-2017, 05:13 PM
wrestlingmasters55's Avatar
wrestlingmasters55 wrestlingmasters55 is offline
Registered User
Million Dollar Champion
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal,canada
Posts: 1,366
wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...
Default

I feel like the main problem with IMPACT outside of creating their own identity is the lack of guys with name value or draws. I don't want to disrespect anybody on the roster right now because they a talented bunch of guys and girls but who right now can you say you can center the company around and fans will go out and buy tickets to see the show.

Alberto el patron is not the guy, Johnny Impact isn't drawing people in and same goes with Lashley, EC3, Moose and Eli drake. The fact is, the IMPACT product is suffering because of the lack of a identity and all thoses guys that i've mention that could be draws for them are paying the price in the process.

I get that by showing matches from AAA,Noah,CRASH and Border City Wrestling, they want to show how global they are but at the same time, it does hurt their product because all the matches they shows from those promotions are throwaway matches that don'T fit with the current storylines so in the end, they're just filler matches for the sake of filling time.

Right now, i they could bring in pretty much any canadian wrestling legend to try help them out and it wouldn'T make a difference, because what they have become just don't work right now and it's not the fact that they moved the company to canada that will save it. Right now, in the current climate that is Indy pro wrestling, you need to have a focus product that pretty much help shape you're identity with fans because their so many independent wrestling leagues right now, that if you don't have a focus product you will fail and that exactly what going on right now with IMPACT. Stop focusing so much on you're deals with other promotions and start focusing more on your own product and try to get some of thoses big name from the indy's that aren'T sign to WWE or ROH yet, that'S pretty much the only way that they have a chance to make it right now.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"
Contact Us - Clear Cookies - Lost Password - WrestleZone Forums - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Top - AdChoices