WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives > Wrestlezolympics '10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

View Poll Results: Pat O'Connor vs Chris Benoit, Ironman Match
Pat O'Connor 10 20.83%
Chris Benoit 38 79.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2010, 11:13 AM
Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
Undisputed WWE Champion

IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...
Default Rd. 1 Ironman - Pat O'Connor (NZL) vs Chris Benoit (CAN)

Pat O'Connor (NZL) vs Chris Benoit (CAN)

This is a first round Ironman Match in the 2010 Wrestlezolympics. As a first round match, the match will last 30 minutes, and the competitor with the most falls in that time will win. If the score is tied after 30 minutes, sudden death overtime will ensue following a 45-second rest period. First fall will win from there. This match is contested under otherwise normal rules - if a wrestler is disqualified or counted-out, they will lose a fall.

The match will open for discussion on Monday, January 25th, and voting will begin on Wednesday, January 27th. This is a non-spam thread, so if you decide to post, you must provide reasons why you are backing a particular wrestler. You may vote without posting.
sendpm.gif
Old 01-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
Undisputed WWE Champion

IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...

This match, while it lacks the drama of the opening round Hart / Angle submission match, is probably one of the more intreguing contests of the opening round. What makes this so difficult is the fact that O'Connor and Benoit don't just come from different generations, but there is a gap of one or two pro wrestling generations between them. O'Connor died before Benoit really even got started in the mainstream.

a few facts about O'Connor that make his EXTREMELY dangerous in this match:

1. O'Connor is a former 2-time New Zealand amateur heavyweight champion, participated in the 1948 Pan-American games, and won a Silver medal in freestyle wrestling at the 1950 British Empire Games.

2. O'Connor was a 2-year NWA World Heavyweight Champion, wrestling usch superstars as Bruno Sammartino and Johnny Valentine.

3. The attendance record that Wrestlemania 3 broke was for the match bewteen O'Connor and Buddy Rodgers - a match Rodgers won. It was 2-out-of-3 falls, and O'Connor lost 2-1, but clearly does have experience in multi-falls matches, which will benefit him in an Ironman setting.

4. When the AWA left the NWA, O'Connor was named their first World Champion. He never lost the title - he was stripped of it when the title was handed to Verne Gagne.

One-hour time limit draws were par for the course in the old NWA and AWA, and O'Connors quick grappling style and knowledge of cradles (his one fall in the match vs Rodgers was the result of a reverse cradle) allow him to be a constant threat against an equally tough Benoit.

I am really unsure which way I am leaning in this match, but holy hell what a great draw!
sendpm.gif
Old 01-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Gone but never forgotten.
Mr. Money in the Bank

D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...
Send a message via AIM to D-Man Send a message via MSN to D-Man

It's blatently obvious that the majority of readers are going to choose Benoit out of sheer popularity and awareness. Most readers on these forums are either too uninformed or young to have a clue about who Pat O'Connor is, who he was in pro-wrestling, and what he can do. So, I'm going to state this clearly for everyone to understand...

PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE VOTING IN THIS CATEGORY. IF YOU ARE UNFAMILIAR WITH PAT O'CONNOR, IT IS UNFAIR TO VOTE FOR CHRIS BENOIT. THIS IS A KAYFABE CONTEST, NOT A POPULARITY CONTEST.

I doubt that will sink into the thick skulls of the WZ posters, but it's worth a shot.

I highly recommend that everyone read IC25's post (above) in regards to Pat O'Connor's legacy before voting, and then try and look up some information on him. I think you're all going to be surprised at how close this match really is.

Click for Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox696
Let's IP ban you and find out. Who the fuck are you kidding? Do you really think you understand the situation better than I do? Fuck off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty NorCal
I will say it though, this would be pretty fucking cool if it didnt suck ass
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC25 View Post
Wait...a SMILEY with a LIGHTSABER!? God, no! Anything but that!
Are you going to hurl your virginity at me next???
sendpm.gif
Old 01-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

LascoX is looking to come up from OCW...LascoX is looking to come up from OCW...

I see this match going into sudden death ,tied up at one fall each. Pat O.conner takes the tie breaker after slipping the crossface and converting to a small package. Unfortunatly team Canada takes a loss in the first round.
sendpm.gif
Old 01-25-2010, 01:26 PM

Brettley916 is a member of the JOB SQUAD

I'm also going Pat O'Connor on this match. This would be a classic, that's for sure. Like Lasco said, I also see it going to sundden death with O'Connor pulling it out with one of his many cradles. There weren't many better at them than O'Connor.
sendpm.gif
Old 01-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...

Leaning towards Benoit here, but this is going to be a freaking classic that could go either way. I think at the end of the day, this comes down to Benoit's ability to go in different styles. Both men are amazing technicians, but Benoit could brawl with the best of them. If he goes that route and just goes into wolverine mode, I think it'll be enough to take it. However, if Benoit gets too aggressive, O'Connor is certainly capable of capitalizing into a quick fall. At the moment it's Benoit, but that could change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker
Yes
Quote:
I am
Quote:
in fact
Quote:
better than you.
sendpm.gif
Old 01-26-2010, 08:28 AM
Turn Bayley heel
TNA Champion

Tastycles is an Intercontinental Champion...Tastycles is an Intercontinental Champion...Tastycles is an Intercontinental Champion...Tastycles is an Intercontinental Champion...Tastycles is an Intercontinental Champion...Tastycles is an Intercontinental Champion...Tastycles is an Intercontinental Champion...Tastycles is an Intercontinental Champion...Tastycles is an Intercontinental Champion...Tastycles is an Intercontinental Champion...Tastycles is an Intercontinental Champion...
Send a message via MSN to Tastycles

I'm going to go with Benoit for this one. Benoit won both of the iron man type matches that he was ever in, and he is the only person who has been in more than one with a 100% record. O'Connor is certainly no slouch, and it is unfortunate that the inevitable blind votes will turn this into a squash, but it really shouldn't be. O'Connor was a great wrestler, but I don't think I've ever seen him go past 25 minutes, I just don't think it was the style of the times. His most famous match was a three falls match against Buddy Rogers, which he lost after 21 minutes. This match was the headline of the biggest wrestling event until WrestleMania III, which should say something about the guy's popularity, but in the end, I think it's also telling for the result. Benoit has multiple ways to end matches, and I think his dynamicism and stamina would triumph here.

WrestleZone Tournament, 2015
sendpm.gif
Old 01-26-2010, 05:15 PM
RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM
Undisputed WWE Champion

X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...
Send a message via AIM to X Send a message via MSN to X

Easy victory for Benoit here. Why? Because Pat O'Connor wrestled in an era of wrestling in which even performing a dropkick was considered absolutely insane and would blow the minds of everyone within a 100 mile radius. Fuck the second Benoit would pull out the diving elbow Pat O'Connor would shit himself, he'd probably think Benoit was batshit crazy, and considering what ultimately happened to Benoit, he'd probably be right.

O'Connor would have exceptional catch-as-catch-can skills, but Benoit is just so superior in the ring to the man that it really isn't even fair to him. Easy victory for Benoit here, O'Connor couldn't keep up with even half of the shit Benoit could pull out of his bag of tricks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman Sam View Post
Women crying with blood all over them. Just how I like them.
sendpm.gif
Old 01-26-2010, 06:17 PM
YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

O'Connor was a fantastic technician, no doubt about that. I respect the man's accomplishments but I don't think he's going to be able to take Chris Benoit. As Mr. Eko said, O'Connor came from an era in which moves that are typical today would have looked extraordinary. When it comes down to overall technical abilities, I'd give the edge to O'Connor but I'd have to give a lot more to Benoit. Benoit was the more powerful of the two, he had that thick stocky muscular build, he could outright brawl like nobody's business and had an arsenal of high impact moves that I don't think O'Connor would be able to take.

I think O'Connor would be able to catch a few falls with something like a quick roll up or a small package with Benoit disoriented. But, in the end, I don't think O'Connor could stand up to the cross face, Benoit's suplex arsenal or the diving head butt.
sendpm.gif
Old 01-27-2010, 03:17 AM
I'm Literally Just Here for WZCW
Mr. Money in the Bank

Just FalKonika is a United States Champion...Just FalKonika is a United States Champion...Just FalKonika is a United States Champion...Just FalKonika is a United States Champion...Just FalKonika is a United States Champion...Just FalKonika is a United States Champion...Just FalKonika is a United States Champion...Just FalKonika is a United States Champion...Just FalKonika is a United States Champion...Just FalKonika is a United States Champion...Just FalKonika is a United States Champion...

Oh... dear... God... I would sell my own grandmother to see this match.

O'Connor is probably one of the best technicians of his time and could go head-to-head with some of the greatest technicians of this time or recent times, stilling giving them a run for their money. He also has Olympic experience too, so you know that this man has trained his heart out and sacrificed so much and then some to get where he needed to be. But against the likes of Chris Benoit? I'm not sure if he could match the intensity for the full length of an Ironman match. I don't think O'Connor would survive a Benoit chop if he got hit by one.

But the man is smart enough to avoid everything and anything Benoit could throw at him. Sure, as X said, it may startle O'Connor by the weird moveset, but his experiences would tell O'Connor to move out the God damn way because something is going to happen. A Benoit chop can be countered into a cradle. So to can the Benoit's suplexes. And if Benoit ascended the top rope, I'm sure O'Connor would sense something crazy coming up and he would just roll out of the way.

I'm speaking from my ass here, but I'm just mesmerised by the match-up. I'm going to trust my team captain on this one and vote for him, because the wrestling factor definitely belongs to the Olympian.
sendpm.gif