WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives > Wrestlezolympics '10
Register FAQForum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

View Poll Results: Vladimir Kozlov vs Samoa Joe, Submission Match
Vladimir Kozlov 7 14.58%
Samoa Joe 41 85.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2010, 09:41 AM
Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
Undisputed WWE Champion

IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...
Default Rd. 1 Submission - Vladimir Kozlov (RUS) vs Samoa Joe (SAM)

Vladimir Kozlov (RUS) vs Samoa Joe (SAM)

This is a first round Submission Match in the 2010 Wrestlezolympics. This match will be contested under general Submission Match Rules. The match will continue without pinfalls until a wrestler either taps out or is rendered unconscious by an opponents submission maneuver. WZO Submission Matches are contested under no count-out, no DQ rules, but the match can only end via submission inside the ring.

The match will open for discussion on Monday, January 25th, and voting will begin on Wednesday, January 27th. This is a non-spam thread, so if you decide to post, you must provide reasons why you are backing a particular wrestler. You may vote without posting.
sendpm.gif
Old 01-25-2010, 09:14 AM
WZCW Veteran
WWE Diva's Champion

Baller worked a dark match on ECW recently...Baller worked a dark match on ECW recently...Baller worked a dark match on ECW recently...Baller worked a dark match on ECW recently...Baller worked a dark match on ECW recently...Baller worked a dark match on ECW recently...Baller worked a dark match on ECW recently...Baller worked a dark match on ECW recently...Baller worked a dark match on ECW recently...Baller worked a dark match on ECW recently...Baller worked a dark match on ECW recently...

This is probably the easiest for me to choose, in any of the 8 matches announced so far. I am going with Samoan Submission Machine Samoa Joe. Joe is known for his submissions while I have never seen Koslov do submission. Koslov has a slight power advantage but not by much as Joe is not some slack. I see Koslov dominating the match early but Joe will get him into his submission maneuver and advance to semi finals pretty easily.

credit to Red Skull!
sendpm.gif
Old 01-25-2010, 09:21 AM
Undisputed WWE Champion

IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...

In truth, the only reason Kozlov was selected for this event is because of his MMA background. That doesn't always translate into instant success for a pro wrestler. Ken Shamrock was able to make the transition, Dan Severn did eventually (and quite well) with the NWA. Aside from that, I can really only think of Antonio Inoki as an MMA guy who was able to be a servicable pro wrestler with a submission repitoire.

Joe, as Dr. of Ballernomics states, has made a pretty successful ROH and TNA career out of being a "submission machine." Plus, Joe's size will partially neutralize Kozlov's, taking away the Russian's only real line of offense in most matches.

Joe wins easilly here, and will be a dark horse to challenge for a medal in the next rounds.
sendpm.gif
Old 01-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Gone but never forgotten.
Mr. Money in the Bank

D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...
Send a message via AIM to D-Man Send a message via MSN to D-Man

A complete no-brainer. Samoe Joe's specialty is a submission. Kozlov's is sheer power-wrestling. The only thing that could make this match interesting is if it was a normal, one-on-one contest. Besides that, I didn't even give this match more than 2 seconds of thought.

Like IC25 said, Kozlov was the best Russian fit for this matchup due to his Sambo background. But in the kayfabe world that the Wrestlezolympics resides in, Samoa Joe is truly superior here.

Joe is gonna kill Vladmir.

Click for Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox696
Let's IP ban you and find out. Who the fuck are you kidding? Do you really think you understand the situation better than I do? Fuck off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty NorCal
I will say it though, this would be pretty fucking cool if it didnt suck ass
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC25 View Post
Wait...a SMILEY with a LIGHTSABER!? God, no! Anything but that!
Are you going to hurl your virginity at me next???
sendpm.gif
Old 01-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Slightly Autistic
Undisputed WWE Champion

Location: Stoke-on-Trent (Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of)
Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...

Quote:
In truth, the only reason Kozlov was selected for this event is because of his MMA background.
Very intresting, so is he a bit like Bobby Lashley then? Limited in ring ability, but with an MMA pedigree. It's weird you should bring that up, I don't want to the the one person who points out that Samoa Joe isn't immune to submissions and is susceptible to being choked to the point of unconsciousness.
sendpm.gif
Old 01-25-2010, 10:13 AM
Beep Bop Boop
ROH Pure Champion

Thriller Ant is being held back by Triple H...Thriller Ant is being held back by Triple H...Thriller Ant is being held back by Triple H...Thriller Ant is being held back by Triple H...Thriller Ant is being held back by Triple H...Thriller Ant is being held back by Triple H...Thriller Ant is being held back by Triple H...Thriller Ant is being held back by Triple H...Thriller Ant is being held back by Triple H...Thriller Ant is being held back by Triple H...Thriller Ant is being held back by Triple H...

Has Kozlov ever used a submission? This is all Joe, and it isn't even close. He matches up size-wise with Kozlov pretty decently, but has a huge speed and agility advantage. He will wear Kozlov out before knocking him out with the Coquina Clutch.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Undisputed WWE Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y 2 Jake View Post
Very intresting, so is he a bit like Bobby Lashley then? Limited in ring ability, but with an MMA pedigree. It's weird you should bring that up, I don't want to the the one person who points out that Samoa Joe isn't immune to submissions and is susceptible to being choked to the point of unconsciousness.
Nobody is immune. But at the end of the day, I will gladly take the accomplished, submission-focused professional wrestler in the professional submission wrestling match. If this were a straight up MMA shootfight, I may feel differently, but this match takes place in a ring with 4 sides instead of 8. I'll take Joe FTW by a landslide.

But to answer your original question, yes, there is some marginal similarity between Kozlov and Lashley, except that Bobby's pedigree is more amateur wrestling parlayed into MMA, whereas Kozlov was specific Sambo MMA parlayed into pro wrestling.
sendpm.gif
Old 01-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Slightly Autistic
Undisputed WWE Champion

Location: Stoke-on-Trent (Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of)
Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...

Quote:
But at the end of the day, I will gladly take the accomplished, submission-focused professional wrestler in the professional submission wrestling match.
Me too, but I'm often inclined to take the untested yet successful wrestlers over established guys with patchy records.

Kozlov, despite his limited push over the past year, has a remarkable record. His win percentage is very good in singles competition. Samoa Joe has won & lost against a range of competitors of all shapes and sizes. There's not much Samoa Joe could learn about Kozlov from losses against Undertaker & HBK.
sendpm.gif
Old 01-25-2010, 12:19 PM
The straightedge Irishman.

Amarillo del Bosque Verde is looking to come up from OCW...

I think I am going to back Samoa Joe...I mean...he is the Samoan Submission Machine! I have seen Samoa Joe and he is a very good submission wrestler. I havent really seen Kozlov's submission ability and dont think he made a very good transition from MMA to wrestling!
CM Punk
John Cena
Chris Hero
Daniel Bryan
sendpm.gif
Old 01-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...

Thing here is simple: this is pro wrestling, not MMA. As the boss said, there are really two Americans that have made the transition and Severn was a joke in the mainstream for the most part. The other thing that makes Joe a much bigger star is simple: he's won something. Kozlov has looked good, but what has he ever actually accomplished? He has no titles and few impressive victories. Joe has a damn fine resume and the skills to back it up. I'll take results over potential anyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker
Yes
Quote:
I am
Quote:
in fact
Quote:
better than you.