WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQForum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

View Poll Results: What are your feelings on John Cena?
CZENA SUX!!! 76 11.50%
I dislike Cena on my TV. 26 3.93%
I don't like or dislike him. 45 6.81%
I like John Cena. 143 21.63%
I am a Cena fanatic. 82 12.41%
I don't like Cena, but think he's a good wrestler. 21 3.18%
I like Cena, but don't think he's a good wrestler. 42 6.35%
I dislike the John Cena character, but respect John Cena the man. 226 34.19%
Voters: 661. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2008, 08:13 AM
Excellence of Execution
Undisputed WWE Champion

Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...
Default The *Official* John Cena Thread

With the old one being nearly two years old at this point, I figured it was time to begin a new one of these. And who better than me to start it?

Allow me to just put it like this. If you don't think John Cena is a good wrestler, then you obviously don't know what it means to be a good wrestler. You are probably one of them indy/ROH fanboys, who seems to think that doing bunches of flippys and cursing is what makes a good wrestler, not someone who understands match psychology.

Basically what I am saying, is either you think John Cena is a good wrestler, or you don't know what good wrestling is. Thanks.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-11-2008, 08:36 AM

MaskedKane is a member of the JOB SQUAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
With the old one being nearly two years old at this point, I figured it was time to begin a new one of these. And who better than me to start it?

Allow me to just put it like this. If you don't think John Cena is a good wrestler, then you obviously don't know what it means to be a good wrestler. You are probably one of them indy/ROH fanboys, who seems to think that doing bunches of flippys and cursing is what makes a good wrestler, not someone who understands match psychology.

Basically what I am saying, is either you think John Cena is a good wrestler, or you don't know what good wrestling is. Thanks.
You killed your own thread with that statement. I voted that I liked John Cena, because he's a great entertainer. When it comes down to wrestling, he only knows 3 or 4 good movies, that cheesy crap move You Cant See Me 5-Knuckle Shuffle, the FU, and the STFU. Now look at good wrestlers like Shawn Michaels or Rey Mysterio. Many moves, and they dont do their signature moves all the time like Cena. and they're very athletic. There's no doubt Cena's athletic, but every second I see Cena I hear Jim Ross shout "The FU!" or "you Cant See Me" and it drives me insane. WE CAN SEE YOU, JOHN, WE CAN SEE YOU!
Old 11-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Slightly Autistic
Undisputed WWE Champion

Location: Stoke-on-Trent (Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of)
Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...

If I were to vote I'd go for option number 3 - I don't like or dislike him. It's hard for me to get excited about a John Cena match. I only really enjoy his matches after all the hype is over. WWE could do a phenomenal job of booking his match with Jericho at Survivor Series, and I still won't care about it. I just find him to be a total bore. His never say die attitude, his flag waving patriotism and his piss poor punches all make me want to watch Edge a whole lot more.

But the guy does have good matches with almost everyone, especially when it counts. When they need somebody to deliver, it's usually Cena. Batista still has several guys that he can't work with. But out of all the wrestlers I've seen Cena face the only two I think he's had a total lack of chemistry with have been HBK & Booker T.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-11-2008, 08:45 AM
Excellence of Execution
Undisputed WWE Champion

Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...

See? This is exactly what I'm talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedKane View Post
You killed your own thread with that statement.
Nope, and I'll show you why.

Quote:
I voted that I liked John Cena, because he's a great entertainer.
What's the difference between professional wrestler and entertainer? Give up? Answer is...nothing. They are the same thing.

Quote:
When it comes down to wrestling, he only knows 3 or 4 good movies, that cheesy crap move You Cant See Me 5-Knuckle Shuffle, the FU, and the STFU.
Oh, so now number of moves has anything to do with the quality of a wrestler?

Like I said, you obviously don't know what it means to be a good wrestler.

Quote:
Now look at good wrestlers like Shawn Michaels or Rey Mysterio. Many moves, and they dont do their signature moves all the time like Cena.
You're kidding right? The only thing Shawn Michaels DOES do is signature moves. You can watch a Shawn Michaels match and know EVERYTHING that will happen from opening bell until the pin, because he's been doing the same routine for over 10 years now. You're sinking yourself with this nonsense.

Quote:
and they're very athletic. There's no doubt Cena's athletic, but every second I see Cena I hear Jim Ross shout "The FU!" or "you Cant See Me" and it drives me insane. WE CAN SEE YOU, JOHN, WE CAN SEE YOU!
So, basically, what you are saying is that you are a mark?
sendpm.gif
Old 11-11-2008, 08:46 AM
Excellence of Execution
Undisputed WWE Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y 2 Jake View Post
But out of all the wrestlers I've seen Cena face the only two I think he's had a total lack of chemistry with have been HBK & Booker T.
I'm not sure he's worked with Booker enough to say one way or another, but HBK? Cena and HBK tore the house down with their match on Raw, and their match at WM 23 was one of the best main-events in WM history.

How can you say that he didn't have chemistry with HBK, when they put on two of the best matches in 2007 within just a couple weeks of each other?
sendpm.gif
Old 11-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Est. 1991
WWF Hardcore Champion

Richard is getting some looks on Smackdown...Richard is getting some looks on Smackdown...Richard is getting some looks on Smackdown...Richard is getting some looks on Smackdown...Richard is getting some looks on Smackdown...Richard is getting some looks on Smackdown...Richard is getting some looks on Smackdown...Richard is getting some looks on Smackdown...Richard is getting some looks on Smackdown...Richard is getting some looks on Smackdown...Richard is getting some looks on Smackdown...
Send a message via MSN to Richard

At the end of the day, the real life people are just playing characters.

I voted for the option of I don't like the character John Cena but I can respect the real life John Cena. As said many times, he is a work horse and he can entertain people greatly, wether it be getting cheered or booed, he is doing what he is supposed to be doing, entertaining people and he does that well.

Going to have to disagree with Masked Kane. Incase you didn't notice, wrestlers have to play a character, right, stay with me here. I feel that wrestlers sometimes have to do the same things over and over again to create an identity for themselves. Stone Cold got immensely over for doing the same thing, he wasn't a technically great wrestler, but is one of the most popular 'Entertainers' in WWE's history.

Don't like the character, but he does what he is supposed to be doing well.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Slightly Autistic
Undisputed WWE Champion

Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...

Quote:
I'm not sure he's worked with Booker enough to say one way or another,
He's worked with Booker as much as he has others. They had the best of 5 series in 2004 and faced each other plenty of times towards the end of 2006. All poor and all before Booker T stopped caring.

Quote:
but HBK? Cena and HBK tore the house down with their match on Raw,
Depends. The house was made up of English kids. They react to everything and it's not often Cena makes it to the Raw shows in the UK.

Quote:
and their match at WM 23 was one of the best main-events in WM history.
Matter of opinion.

Quote:
How can you say that he didn't have chemistry with HBK, when they put on two of the best matches in 2007 within just a couple weeks of each other?
Because I've seen Cena have better matches with wrestlers who aren't nowhere near as talented as HBK used to be. Just a few months later Cena got something half decent out of Khali. If he can do that with a big lummox like him I expect something considerably better with somebody like Shawn Michaels.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Excellence of Execution
Undisputed WWE Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y 2 Jake View Post
He's worked with Booker as much as he has others. They had the best of 5 series in 2004 and faced each other plenty of times towards the end of 2006. All poor and all before Booker T stopped caring.
I didn't see 2004, but Booker T was having bad matches with EVERYBODY by the end of 2006. And, I don't remember Cena and Booker T meeting 1-on-1 either.

Quote:
Depends. The house was made up of English kids. They react to everything and it's not often Cena makes it to the Raw shows in the UK.
They were in England last night, and the crowd was fairly boring.

Quote:
Matter of opinion.
Many share it though.

Quote:
Because I've seen Cena have better matches with wrestlers who aren't nowhere near as talented as HBK used to be. Just a few months later Cena got something half decent out of Khali. If he can do that with a big lummox like him I expect something considerably better with somebody like Shawn Michaels.
Or, maybe the Great Khali is a better worker than Shawn Michaels? Or, more appropriately, cares about the match more than Shawn Michaels?

Which is kind of what I've been saying about HBK for years now. But, there's no doubt Cena vs. HBK was better than Cena vs. Khali. I think Cena's match with Khali was more impressive on Cena's part, but I think the HBK matches were better.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-11-2008, 09:02 AM
It's Showtime!
Knockout Champion

Showtime is going to make some noise in the draft...Showtime is going to make some noise in the draft...Showtime is going to make some noise in the draft...Showtime is going to make some noise in the draft...Showtime is going to make some noise in the draft...Showtime is going to make some noise in the draft...Showtime is going to make some noise in the draft...Showtime is going to make some noise in the draft...Showtime is going to make some noise in the draft...Showtime is going to make some noise in the draft...Showtime is going to make some noise in the draft...

I'm not gonna give my opinion on this much because I know Slyfox would be more than happy to turn my words against myself, he's too good at it. If I were to pick an option, which I guess I will, I'd pick the last one. I don't care for the Cena character, never have and probably never will, The rapper, the marine, the patriotism, give it all ask nothing back attitude, doesn't work for me, he plays his character well, but I don't care much for it. That being said I do respect him. Cena may or may not be a kiss ass to Vince, but he does have a passion for the biz and seems dedicated towards it. I'm not gonna say I jump to the TV every time Cena has a match, but the man is a consistent performer now. He does have good to great matches with alot of superstars. He's dependable, and wasn't very injury prone till recently. I respect that he wrestlers every night, and generally gives it his all, whether the crowd is for him or very much against him. He may not be the best wrestler, in the sense of mat skills, move sets, but he is the best wrestler the WWE has. He gets an instant reaction, work's well with many different wrestlers, solid mic skills, a constant draw and sells a shit load of merch, which Vince always likes his wrestler to do. WWE is trying to make him the Hogan/Austin of this era and whether that has happened or not is for Slyfox to debate with someone else

The final fact is, I don't care for the character, but I do respect Cena.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Slightly Autistic
Undisputed WWE Champion

Quote:
Which is kind of what I've been saying about HBK for years now. But, there's no doubt Cena vs. HBK was better than Cena vs. Khali. I think Cena's match with Khali was more impressive on Cena's part, but I think the HBK matches were better.
The Khali matches were very impressive. Maybe I prefer them because of how plodding Khali usually is. Before those few matches the only person who got anything out of him was Taker, but that was from throwing himself around the ring for 10 minutes.

In 2007 Cena had better matches with Lashley & Umaga on Pay-Per-View imo. Even a lazy HBK is better than most wrestlers, or he was 18 months ago. I always though Lashley had unlimited potential, yet was still quite green. Cena's performance with him at The Bash was far superior to anything else I saw from him that year.
sendpm.gif