WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 08-14-2017, 08:14 PM
G.O.A.T.
WWE Diva's Champion

relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...

Andre winning the first one wouldve been a perfect cap on his career. He had the belt for about 30 seconds so this could've been his swan song.

lol so you think that Hacksaw won the Rumble as an experimental push? You're talking about the guy who had the misfortune of being the same patriot gimmick as HULK HOGAN... No, the first one should've been a memorial to Andre, they were experimenting for sure; Pat Patterson has said that the idea of people entering the Battle Royal instead of leaving it was a brand new idea for the match type, so even if they didn't know it'd catch on what better way to cap it off than to have Andre be the winner of this experiment??
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:39 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentless1 View Post
Andre winning the first one wouldve been a perfect cap on his career. He had the belt for about 30 seconds so this could've been his swan song.

lol so you think that Hacksaw won the Rumble as an experimental push? You're talking about the guy who had the misfortune of being the same patriot gimmick as HULK HOGAN... No, the first one should've been a memorial to Andre, they were experimenting for sure; Pat Patterson has said that the idea of people entering the Battle Royal instead of leaving it was a brand new idea for the match type, so even if they didn't know it'd catch on what better way to cap it off than to have Andre be the winner of this experiment??
How in the world can you read what I wrote and get "Hacksaw won the Rumble as an experimental push" out of it? The experiment was the Rumble itself. Andre was active for years after the first Rumble. So maybe your "lol" should be saved for a swan song being given early. A memorial?!?! Now I get to "lol". So thanks.

I had a hunch you didn't know what you were talking about. I just wanted to make sure.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:14 PM
G.O.A.T.
WWE Diva's Champion

relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...

I know what you said and I addressed what you said. You said Hacksaw was very over and could've used the push; only hindsight says otherwise. I said that wouldn't ever be the case because his gimmick was done much bigger and better by Hogan, so either way they were throwing that win away to whoever; might as well have been Andre who was a true legend even at that time and was the master of the Battle Royal; are you missing something here that I haven't explained? Andre win = layup
Old 08-15-2017, 10:48 PM

sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeenanGorilla View Post
How in the world can you read what I wrote and get "Hacksaw won the Rumble as an experimental push" out of it? The experiment was the Rumble itself. Andre was active for years after the first Rumble. So maybe your "lol" should be saved for a swan song being given early. A memorial?!?! Now I get to "lol". So thanks.

I had a hunch you didn't know what you were talking about. I just wanted to make sure.

First rumble was 1988. Andres last big match was 2 years later at wrestlemania VI in 1990.

Also who said the wrestlemania iii signing btw hogan and Andre was on the show?? You're off by a year.

It might have been a wrestlemania IV promo.

But I was at copps in 1988, I'm fairly certain of the date.

the Five Moves of doom?
Old 08-15-2017, 11:45 PM
Knockout Champion

LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...

He said it was the signing for the rematch of WM III

Last edited by LODemolition : 08-15-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:07 AM

HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LODemolition View Post
He said it was the signing for the rematch of WM III
Thank you, LODemolition! I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who knew how to read.

First to sikkbones… I said Andre was active for years after the first Rumble (January 1988). To which you tried to prove wrong by saying his last big match was at WrestleMania VI (April 1990). That is over 2 years later, which makes my original statement correct. Looks like reading AND arithmetic are weak points for you. Punctuation on the forum is not important in some cases—this one included; so, I’ll give you a pass on writing. LODemolition already pointed out where I am not off by a year, you didn’t (or couldn’t) read what I wrote. Thanks for letting me know where you were in 1988…maybe you should have been in school.

To relentless1, you know what I said and addressed what I said? More like you still don’t know what I said and addressed something I didn’t. First you misread that I said Duggan winning was to give him an experimental push. Of course, that was an error on your part, which I addressed. But then, in defense of the proven error, you respond with yet another error?? Haha! “You said Hacksaw was very over and could’ve used the push; only hindsight says otherwise.” I did say he was extremely over, which he was, but I never mentioned a push. I addressed the Rumble itself only. You created a subsequent push out of thin air. Having a wrestler who was over with the crowd win that Rumble was a smart idea. Andre was a heel at the time and, as I mentioned in the post you continue to misread, was involved in an angle with Hogan, to which the Rumble win would have added nothing. “Are you missing something here that I haven’t explained?” No, I think I have seen everything you haven’t explained. I was just hoping you might explain them, including your “Hindsight says otherwise”. Otherwise to what? When you create things in your mind, like the push I never mentioned, you should provide details for those of us depending on what was written. Yes, Hogan and Duggan were both pro-USA. I’m quite sure that’s where the similarities end. “Andre win = layup” Duggan winning—or, to be fair, Jake or JYD among others—was a slam dunk. Andre winning was more like a three-pointer at the buzzer in an already decided game.

While I wait for illiterate relentless1 to tell me that Andre never played basketball for the WWF, I want to say to those who can read that I do not think all ideas that I disagree with are bad. I would just like some reasoning behind it. Hell, if you say he was my favorite wrestler and I just wanted him to win, that makes more sense than this Andre having to win for no other reason than he was the best at battle royals. For example, I would have had Mr. Perfect win the Rumble in ’90. Some liked Hogan winning, some wanted someone else…that’s fine! All I wanted was a reason that Andre should have won the first one. So far, I have not gotten it.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:51 PM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentless1 View Post

Ugh...

Why did Duggan get this you REALLY don't know??

Jim Duggan was intended to be a MASSIVE face in the WWF when he was signed in 87, on the level of Hogan eventually, hence his prominent debut at Wrestlemania 3. Duggan had been big in the UWF and gotten over fighting Ted DiBiase who had also signed... Their feud was planned to be big in the WWF too, perhaps even for the gold.

BUT

Duggan screwed up almost immediately by being arrested in a car with Iron Shiek for drugs... breaking the famous kayfabe rule of heels and faces never been seen together. The story went national in the media and Shiek was fired while Duggan was inches from being let go but Vince relented... the planned push was gone however.

The Rumble win for him was as much a test to see how the fans would react to Duggan being pushed as the event itself... he didn't really get the reaction hoped for although the event itself did so they didn't give him the bigger push, settling on the patriotic borderline comedy gimmick instead (when he started he was wearing a bandana and wifebeater ala Dean Ambrose) with the nearest to a push really being the "King" title he won from Haku.

Make no mistake, Duggan was supposed to win that match and there was a plan behind it. Sadly, the damage was done to him in that early few months with the simple mistake made by him.