WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQForum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

View Poll Results: Where does The Rock Rank?
The greatest ever 8 28.57%
One of the best, but not the best 19 67.86%
Nowhere close to the top guys 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2018, 10:22 AM

Very Average is looking to come up from OCW...
Default The Rock's Place in WWF/WWE History

I have recently subscribed to the WWE Network and been watching a lot of stuff from the Attitude Era, and whilst it seemed for all of 1998 and most of 1999 the product revolved around Stone Cold, I got the impression watching all those years ago and then from watching again recently that The Rock was just as popular, perhaps even more so. Yet Stone Cold seems to get all the plaudits and The Rock is seen as second best. I remember reading that from the summer of 1999 Rock was selling more merchandise than anybody, including Austin.

So where does The Rock rank among the all time greats of Hogan, Flair, HBK, Brat Hart, Stone Cold? At the top, in the middle, or not even registering?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:25 PM

jholcomb22 is looking to come up from OCW...jholcomb22 is looking to come up from OCW...jholcomb22 is looking to come up from OCW...

I'm a huge fan of his, but I think he suffers the most in terms of longevity. He burned bright, and he burned fast. If he had have stayed, he could be considered the greatest. You cant blame him for leaving when we see how things turned out, ultimately.
The biggest stars of the last three eras arguably are Cena, Stone Cold and Hulk Hogan. The greatest argument for the Rock is that he beat each one of those men at WrestleMania and no one else can claim that.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:32 PM
trollface.jpg

The Decrypter is looking to come up from OCW...The Decrypter is looking to come up from OCW...
Send a message via AIM to The Decrypter

It doesn't matter how short it was, he really was the best all around WWE has ever had. His impact will always be remembered. Only people you can argue against Rock is Cena (who is absolutely a legend whether you think so or not), Stone Cold, and Hogan.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:12 PM
G.O.A.T.
WWE Diva's Champion

relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...

definitely one of the best ever but his accomplishments in Hollywood will overshadow anything that he did in wrestling. Even now some people still refer to him as the Rock but hes known as an actor first and foremost. That being said he was a great champion and one of the best talkers ever in the game.... Bottom line though he doesn't make it onto the Mt Rushmore of wrestling, even in his prime the era was still known as the Austin era; he was 1a to Austins 1.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:54 PM

Wrestlemania75 is looking to come up from OCW...

Are you kidding me? Seriously? I am a Canadian WWF fan from the 80s, one of the biggest Hogan and Warrior marks alive, and I will admit The Rock is the absolute greatest WWF/E superstar of all time. Hands down. And I quit watching after Warrior lost the title in 91, then restarted in 2000 because of WM17, then downloaded everything and watched from 1986 to 2013 (everything!). I have watched since and obviously no one possesses the captivity as the great one...good night.

On second thought, I'm from Montreal and Hogan means more to wrestling. But Rock created his own pops naturally.

Last edited by Wrestlemania75 : 04-27-2018 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:28 AM
squashed Disco Inferno to become
WCW TV Champion

Pay Per Ghost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Pay Per Ghost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Pay Per Ghost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Pay Per Ghost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Pay Per Ghost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Pay Per Ghost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Pay Per Ghost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Pay Per Ghost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Pay Per Ghost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Pay Per Ghost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Pay Per Ghost is getting some looks on Smackdown...

The Mount Rushmore of the Greatest Ever (draw, popularity on a global scale) has HOGAN, AUSTIN, ROCK, CENA.

Out of thousands of thousands of performers and over a Century of wrestling, these 4 make it; and The Rock is one of them.

That should answer your question.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:02 AM

LibSuperstar is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay Per Ghost
The Mount Rushmore of the Greatest Ever (draw, popularity on a global scale) has HOGAN, AUSTIN, ROCK, CENA.

Out of thousands of thousands of performers and over a Century of wrestling, these 4 make it; and The Rock is one of them.

That's my WWE Mt. Rushmore just on the strength of drawing power.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:19 AM

Very Average is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay Per Ghost View Post

It should, but WWE did their Mount Rushmore a few months back and I believe it was Vince, Hogan, Undertaker and Austin, which was a joke in my opinion.

I feel it's (in any order) Hogan, Austin, Rock, then anyone from Flair, Taker, Andre, HBK, Bret Hart or Cena. Vince doesn't belong anywhere near it.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:39 PM
G.O.A.T.
WWE Diva's Champion

relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...

the Mt Rushmore of wrestling is Bruno, Hogan, Austin, Flair

Rock was great but he wasn't ESSENTIAL to the business like these four were.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:01 PM
WWE Women's Champion

Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...

There was a reason that at Wrestlemania 30 you had Hogan, Austin and Rock. And that was that they were biggest superstars in the history of WWE. Hogan was there where it all started and was biggest at the beginning. Austin and Rock came when it was really a turmoil for the company. Austin came at the right time with a right attitude(see what I did there Coral). He came in and took his push to insane level. So insane that even Hogan fall short in comparising at the time. The Rock was mostly overlooked. But he went from most hated guy in the company to the guy who, if he didn't make in Hollywood, would be probably most biggest draw for the next at least 5 years after Austin left for good. You could argue that Austin was bigger, but The Rock was there.

Everybody else just kinda fall short. Flair was big but in modern terms nowhere in terms of guys like Hogan at the times, Shawn can call himself "Mr. Wrestlemania" but aside of ego big enough to move mountain was never there and has even failed hard as top draw, Hart was popular but arguable never really there, Cena took over after transition and carried the torch but never took it anywhere big enough.

In terms of popularity (not talking about in ring ability, if we talked about that then guys like Hart would be top and beat guys like Hogan by a mile) there are only 3 top guys there. And that are

1. Hogan
2. Austin
3. The Rock

And I would say in that order. So, he is top tier. Probably not best ever but still top.