WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQForum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 04-15-2018, 01:19 PM
G.O.A.T.
WWE Diva's Champion

relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Could WCW have made a comeback?

Had Bischoff and Fusient been able to buy WCW and get that 10 year TV deal with TBS do you think they could've made a comeback in the Monday Night Wars? How would this have affected WWF with the departures of HHH, Benoit, Guerrero in 2001 and the Rock and Austin for good in 2002?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:54 PM

jpickens is looking to come up from OCW...jpickens is looking to come up from OCW...

Yes indeed I can see Eric learning from the past and continue with trend of 2001 in pushing young and up and coming talent causing the now publicly traded and some what neutered WWE to try and hang in.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:57 PM

Greg4WWE is looking to come up from OCW...Greg4WWE is looking to come up from OCW...Greg4WWE is looking to come up from OCW...

They would have had to find a way to drop a lot of contracts. Some of those talent contracts were ridiculous. Wasn't even Vincent(Virgil) making high coin doing nothing?

THat was the main problem with WCW, every talent was making so much and the company couldn't keep up. Also the product was garbage, still better than WWE today (no competition) but garbage for the time.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:57 PM
Knockout Champion

FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...

I think they would have had a good chance if the monday night wars continued, ECW closed at almost the same time so they would have had a good chance to sign a lot of ECW talent like RVD, Tommy Dreamer, Jerry Lynn and even Paul Heyman and Joey Styles, They did have AJ Styles before they closed so maybe they could have had a lot of the TNA talent as I don't think TNA would have happened if WCW didn't end.
Also with their tape library they may have been able to compete with the WWE's network but I guess we will never know for sure.
I hate that being a wrestling fan growing up in the 80's we had a choice of loads of wrestling companies to watch then later at least 3 WWE/ECW/WCW but now its pretty much just WWE, I would have been glad to see the monday night wars continue as it was a good time to be a fan.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:40 PM
The voice of Michael Cole's headset
WWE Diva's Champion

therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpickens View Post
Yes indeed I can see Eric learning from the past and continue with trend of 2001 in pushing young and up and coming talent causing the now publicly traded and some what neutered WWE to try and hang in.
Considering his TNA run, it doesn't seem like he learned much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg4WWE View Post
They would have had to find a way to drop a lot of contracts. Some of those talent contracts were ridiculous. Wasn't even Vincent(Virgil) making high coin doing nothing?

THat was the main problem with WCW, every talent was making so much and the company couldn't keep up. Also the product was garbage, still better than WWE today (no competition) but garbage for the time.
At the end, WCW was way worse than WWE is now. Way, way, way worse. Combination of really bad and boring. There was a year where even if everyone wrestled for free, they still would have lost money. So the problem was way bigger than just the contracts.

The only way WCW would have made a comeback is if management completely changed. The big stars they had were too old and a lot of the younger talent needed serious work. They would have pretty much copied TNA and slowly circle the drain for years.

WWE lost Austin and Rock but still had Jericho and Angle. Angle was an awesome face (01 run was amazing). WCW had no one even close to them. Goldberg didn't seem long for the business. DDP was old. Booker T was popular but he wasn't Angle/Jericho. Beyond Booker, who else did WCW have that was a hot face? I can't really think of one.

Guerrero wasn't an enormous loss at the time. Benoit was a bit bigger in 01 but he wasn't a solid main eventer yet. More of an upper midcard.

My answer is no. Not with Bischoff, Russo, Hogan, etc.
Rock: IT DOESN'T MATTER
Old 04-15-2018, 10:30 PM

jpickens is looking to come up from OCW...jpickens is looking to come up from OCW...

Maybe Jeff Jarrett could've done some good if kept on a short leash as kept away from booking matches.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:03 PM
WWF Hardcore Champion

MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by therockiswwf View Post
Considering his TNA run, it doesn't seem like he learned much.
My answer is no. Not with Bischoff, Russo, Hogan, etc.
well, i wont take Bischoff's TNA run into this because my guess is that he wasnt able to be himself with Dixie Carter running things.....as for Russo, my guess (which i'm sure i'm right on) is that if Bischoff and the company bought WCW, then Russo wouldnt be ANYWHERE near it. Hogan might've eventually came back, but my guess is that he would've gotten more of a owner's or booker's type of deal where he helped Bischoff creatively.

Now would it have made a comeback?? my guess is that if WCW would've been bought by that company that it would still be around today, but not beating WWE at all.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:43 PM

GhettoV1 is looking to come up from OCW...

Maybe just cancel Thunder and for the time being have Nitro and Worldwide(on syndication) and after a year relaunch Saturday Night.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:20 AM
Cena is no Bruno & Cole is no Solie
WWE Women's Champion

stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...

WCW was losing $60 MILLION a year at the time of its demise. Too many "safe harbor" contracts with talents that did not deserve them. And, Bischoff would never have gotten rid of those people. As for TBS: Time-Warner wanted NOTHING to do with Pro Wrestling. That is why they sold it to McMahon. Bischof would have tried to find a way to get it on TBS, but it would have been a fools errand. WCW folded for a reason. Let it rest in peace.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:28 AM
Grand Slam Champion
WWE Diva's Champion

Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...

It's impossible to predict. There were so many talents (AJ Styles!) that had just emerged as WCW was closing up shop, who knows what could've been? We always hear about how WWE was in such horrible shape in 95-96, turning the corner by 97, and in 98 were on top of the world. WCW might've gone through a few rough years, but another NWO type angle, and they would've been off to the races.

Who knows if some of the guys that eventually went on to be huge WWE names, wouldn't have ended up in WCW. It's certainly fun to speculate, and I do think that Bischoff was smart enough that he would've found a way to make it work. You can't really point at his time in TNA as a sign of what he might've done, because he was limited in resources and control in that situation.

A few really great strategic licensing partnerships and big sponsors could've provided enough to steal away a few top WWE talents, and could've stolen all WWE momentum away.

The one thing I can say for sure, is that having legitimate competition would've been better for the business all around, and even though I was always a WWE fan (even during the Monday night wars), I still wish to this day that someone would emerge as a real alternative.