WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQForum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 01-30-2018, 01:49 AM
G.O.A.T.
WWE Diva's Champion

relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Paul Wight = Wasted Potential

WWF horribly misused Paul Wight from day 1.

Having him inadvertently throw Austin through the cage made Giant look like an idiot. Day one.

Having him lose clean to Austin within his first cpl weeks was the height of stupidity.

The Big Show is and was a dumb name for a guy who should've been dominant from day one, his original moniker was supposed to be Titan and thats a lot more akin to the vibe he should've been putting out.
This guy should have been treated as Brock leaner is treated now; rare appearances where he shows up to annihilate anyone he wants and take off again until hes ready to cause more carnage.

He should've been bought by no one including Vince for at least his first cpl years and he should have been World Champ for at least a year; preferably the year that Austin left. In fact, he should have been the reason Austin was out for a year in the first place kayfabe.

At least WCW treated the guy like a genuine threat whenever he showed up on the scene.

Does anybody else agree with this statement? how would you have booked Paul Wight any differently?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:38 AM
Kamehamehaaaaa!!
ROH Pure Champion

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...

We're talking about the same guy that was sent back to developmental in 2001-2002 aren't we? Main event talent, this big attraction of yours, sent back to developmental.

I don't really know why Big Show was used like that, but his contract was A LOT different than what we saw. Vince wanted Austin vs Show to headline WM 2000. That was a deal that was put into Show's contract before he even debuted. Show had a deal to receive a world title match at Wrestlemania.

Now you talk about Show appearing rarely and being used like Brock Lesnar. That's so nice of you to fuck hindsight.
What Lesnar does now, was unheard of back then and nobody would let it happen in that specific locker room first of all. Nobody would accept Big Show getting special treatment.

I agree that Big Show deserved a better debuting storyline than the one he received, but if there's one thing wrestling taught me, it's this: if you're gonna make it, you're gonna make it. Ringmaster, Rocky Maivia, Blueblood Levesque, a white rapper, a Deadman. They all made it.

Vince probably never saw Big Show as a big thing and the fans never really got behind him as much as they were behind the other AE stars.

Big Show has had an amazing career and right now, he deserves a proper Wrestlemania retirement match.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:59 AM
ECW TV Champion

OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...

The Big Show was used better in WCW, I doubt you'd find many people who would disagree with that statement. And having him lose to Austin so early on WAS a pretty stupid decision. Still, if The Big Show had come in prepared, he probably would have been treated better. It was pretty obvious very early on that he had little to no idea how to work a proper match. His cardio was horrendous and I remember reading that his attitude wasn't the greatest either. Once all of that became painfully apparent, there was absolutely no way he was going to be put above others such as Austin, The Rock, Taker, etc.

He was put with Taker in the hopes that Taker could work a miracle and get something resembling a half-decent effort out of Show but even that failed. Which is why he was sent down to developmental. Once he came back, he was infinitely better, but the mystique was gone. Treating him like Brock Lesnar would not have made him a better wrestler. And they were not going to pay him full-time to show up once every 3 months when their top guys were working 300+ days a year.

The WWE taught Paul Wight what it took to be a WWE wrestler at that time. And he became a bonafide legend because of it.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:00 AM
Million Dollar Champion

MartialHorror worked a dark match on ECW recently...MartialHorror worked a dark match on ECW recently...MartialHorror worked a dark match on ECW recently...MartialHorror worked a dark match on ECW recently...MartialHorror worked a dark match on ECW recently...MartialHorror worked a dark match on ECW recently...MartialHorror worked a dark match on ECW recently...MartialHorror worked a dark match on ECW recently...

If memory serves, the reason why he was sent to developmental was because his weight was problematic and he had some attitude problems. I vaguely remember an interview with Undertaker where he insinuated that Big Show had talent, but was lazy.

Obviously there reached a point where he got a lot better and improved his attitude though. I think it was a little bit of both Show's problems and how WWE was using him that kept him from reaching his full potential. When he first came to WWF, he was billed as Paul White. Then it was changed to Big Nasty or some stupid shit like that. That's an even worse name than the Big Show and I agree that the name is a little too silly and gimmicky.

WCW didn't utilize him very well either though. It should be noted that he was incredibly athletic during that time period, doing drop kicks, jumping off the turnbuckle and even kip-ups. He looked good, although his weight problems started being an issue even then. WCW had a much lazier atmosphere, so it wouldn't surprise me if Show picked up some bad habits from them. But anyway, Show had a pretty good start, but quickly became relegated to jobber status. Much like now, he'd win matches against other jobbers, but rarely the matches that counted. He was usually used to put others over. Yes, they still made him look like a threat. When Warrior took him out, it was treated like a big deal. I remember Goldberg wiping out NWO (who was bullying DDP) and the show ended with a big showdown between Goldberg and the Giant (it sadly ended before things got physical between them). But is that any different than now?

Big Show is usually booked to look like a threat. He just puts over the more relevant people, like Braun Strowman or Roman Reigns. I've always been a huge fan of the guy though. I think he's actually a very underrated performer, as on the mic, Show can either be really funny or menacing. He has a great physical presence (even when he's fat) and performs pretty well in the ring, very well for a big man.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:40 AM
WCW TV Champion

d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I remember hearing that the original plan for Big Show was that he was going to be billed as "the son of Andre The Giant". Let that sink in for a moment.

Show is rare for a big man that he actually is very good on the mike. He can play things for laughs, or be menancing.

I think part of the problem, which no-one has touched on here, is his constant face/heel changes. I think that they brought him in as a heel, and soon after, turned him face.

It soon seemed that a Big Show turn became an annual event.

This also tells me that they kept changing their plans for him. Part of this was that he got injured, and also carried too much weight.

I think that he also had a lazy attitude. Show signing with WWE was a big deal at the time, as it was Vince stealing a WCW superstar back (as WCW were stealing away many WWF stars) and being tall always appeals to Vince's "big man" fetish. So he signed him to a ten-year, million dollar plus a year contract. When you have that attention paid to you, it is easy to take it for granted. Show probably thought that he would have everything handed to him.

Also, his Wrestlemania winning record is very poor, and when you have it being made a storyline of, when he feuded with Cody Rhodes, and when you have non-wrestlers like Akebono and Floyd Mayweather beat you at Wrestlemania, it doesn't make you look like a star. He didn't even get on the card at WMX8, but was interviewing at the "WWE New York" restaurant instead.

I think the fact that Big Show was not in the Royal Rumble speaks volumes about where he currently sits in the pecking order.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:10 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_henderson1810 View Post
I remember hearing that the original plan for Big Show was that he was going to be billed as "the son of Andre The Giant". Let that sink in for a moment.
He WAS billed as the son of Andre, in WCW. That might be where you heard of this "rumor". Haha! Sorry, I don't mean to make fun, but that struck me as so funny. It's like saying "I remember hearing that the original plan for Glenn Jacobs was that he was going to be an evil dentist."
Old 01-30-2018, 01:56 PM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
World Heavyweight Champion

THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...

Wasted potential?

If you call 18 years on a million a year downside wasted potential then PLEASE let me waste mine...

Paul Wight is a unique case, he is the ONLY true "giant" they ever had who had his pituitary sorted young. It meant he avoided most of the problems that literally killed guys like Andre and Gonzales and is able to be active well into his forties. Right now he is one year off when Andre passed and the difference between them is night and day.

Show is jacked, in shape and while he has injuries etc, he is as healthy as anyone on the roster. Andre was literally a cripple before 40.

How does this mean his potential wasn't wasted? Easy, in 2000 they took a look at him and saw too many bad habits in and out of the ring, he was sent to OVW STILL on a million bucks a year and worked those tiny shows... Mark Henry had the same deal and was made to do the same... rather than take it as an insult, both knuckled down and improved to the point they've been fixtures ever since...nearly 20 years on that big money. Vince gave both guys 10 year deals at a milllion, by the end of the 10 years, Show had probably done enough to justify that deal but to be there at nearly 20 shows the faith was well placed.

In Big Show's case, there have been times he's been "the guy" and times he was a glorified jobber, times he was a monster and other times a goof. If he'd been used purely as Brock is then his star would have dimmed far sooner than it has. As good as he is, he is NOT the guy you build your company on... but he's the guy you keep around as an attraction. He even managed to make a match with Mayweather work, when it had no business being even considered.

If, when Vince had that first creative meeting with him he'd said..."You'll be a monster for the 10 years of your deal...or until the fans get bored." or "You will lose a lot of matches, but you'll be on this contract for the next 20 years and we will ALWAYS employ you in some capacity and you are guaranteed to be alongside Andre in the HOF..." which do you think he'd have taken? Which outcome shows the most belief in his potential? and that he met one of those, shows he actually lived up to that potential and past it.

Last edited by THTRobtaylor : 01-30-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:21 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Wasted potential?

If you call 18 years on a million a year downside wasted potential then PLEASE let me waste mine...
I was just going to write the same thing. This guy had one of the longest and most financially successful runs in WWE history. He was always at or near the top of the card. Headlined multiple WrestleMania's and PPV's and feuded with every major star in the company. Guys like Big Show were never going to be "the man" the traveling and numerous promotional appearances would be too taxing on a seven foot 500 pound body.

He didn't need a belt. He was 7 foot 500 plus pounds. He drew a lot of money and made a lot of money. He had a long and decorated career. He will go down as one of the top 5 "giants" of all time if not top two alongside Andre so I don't see where he was 'wasted."
Old 01-31-2018, 12:19 AM
G.O.A.T.
WWE Diva's Champion

relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...

He could've been so much more than he was; Andre was used correctly because of the territory system, he was an attraction; he was used sparingly and was seen as a mythical figure because of it. Wight could've been similar had Vince seen that potential in him instead his first year was shit compared to how he should've been used; he should've been a wrecking ball especially in his first cpl years. Instead, hes jobbed out to Austin and Mankind right away, put into the Union which was a shit stable that went nowhere, had some dumbass story about his dead dad and during that time he had an "intense" feud with BOSSMAN... not HHH, austin, Rock, Taker, Mankind... Boss fuckin Man....held the belt for a month and was an afterthought the entire time... the next time he got a title reign wasn't until 2002!!! and again; one month...

unacceptable for a guy as special as he could have been IMO; say what you want but just because he coasted for 10 years in the upper mid doesn't make his potential realized, not even close.. ask Eddie Guerrero and Dean Malenko and those guys about wasted potential... they were getting paid very well in WCW and left because they wanted to reach a higher level within the industry... the money didn't matter as much as that did...same applies for Show, he could and should have been a lot more throughout his career.

Last edited by relentless1 : 01-31-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:02 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Goldie is looking to come up from OCW...Goldie is looking to come up from OCW...

I think he could have been so much better in the WWE. Given his size... the type of aura Brock Lesnar has today.

However its a different era to the Andre push (remember he wasn't pinned on WWF television for 15 years till WM3- though Andre did lose outside the promotion)- so by 1999 onwards, the WWE was producing car crash TV- where storylines and fueds were resolved much quicker than the slow building stories of the 70s/80s.

That said, Wights conditioning must have been deemed poor for WWE to send him to a health farm in late 2000 to lose weight. By that point the invincible push was never going to happen.
Though he has been with the company 19 years- Big Show has lost too many times- against much smaller compertition to have been considered an Andre level threat.

Every now and again they would push the Show to look monsterous and decimate his opponents in short order... then have him lose, then demoted back to the midcard.
A few months later the bookers would consider 'who can we give a push to?.... enter Big Shows 162nd push .... and the process repeats itself.
It happened too many times for people to believe that a long term monster was going to last

Last edited by Goldie : 01-31-2018 at 03:06 AM.