WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling > Old School PPV/TV Reviews
Register FAQForum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 05-29-2018, 04:45 PM
Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Very Average View Post
Disagree with that 100%, Rock at the time of Austin leaving was just as big as him, in some ways it perhaps hurt The Rock as he never got the big victory over Austin, I remember hearing rumors that Austin was turning heel to put over The Rock at WM16 to repay him for WM15.

As for Triple H, I consider him underrated next to Austin and Rock, he was just as good, just didn't get the same plaudits because he was heel. Quite unfair on both Rock and Triple H there in my opinion.
Rock was not at Austin's level when Austin left. At Summerslam 1999, Rock fought Billy Gunn. At No Mercy 1999, Rock fought British Bulldog. He was main eventing around the time, but those matches are dipping down into the midcard.

As for Rock becoming as big as Austin, I stand by what I said: Austin leaving left the void that Rock filled and filled very well. If Austin is there though, the attention and the time are on him and there's no need for the new alpha male in Rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker
Yes
Quote:
I am
Quote:
in fact
Quote:
better than you.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:08 PM

Very Average is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker View Post
Rock was not at Austin's level when Austin left. At Summerslam 1999, Rock fought Billy Gunn. At No Mercy 1999, Rock fought British Bulldog. He was main eventing around the time, but those matches are dipping down into the midcard.

As for Rock becoming as big as Austin, I stand by what I said: Austin leaving left the void that Rock filled and filled very well. If Austin is there though, the attention and the time are on him and there's no need for the new alpha male in Rock.
He was fighting nobody's yes you're right....I wonder if that was more to do with the fact Austin was leaving and they HAD to focus more on Austin than The Rock to get what they could out of him before he left. Rock's booking was terrible after he left the Corporation, he got screwed out of the WWF Title more times than Austin ever did and to have the guy who was at least number 2, if not number 1/joint number 1 feuding with Billy Gunn, British Bulldog and Al Snow is beyond a joke. That's like a John Cena or Roman Reigns feuding with Bo Dallas or Curt Hawkins.

Both from memory and re-watching Raw's and Smackdown's at that time, Rock was just as popular as Austin. Not turning this into a who is bigger thread but to insinuate/say Rock would not have been as big had Austin stayed is wrong.

I believe (if you're interested) that if Austin had not taken 10 months off Rock would have become WWF champion and had the re-match with Austin and defeated him (face vs face), perhaps even winning the title from him. The booking would have been similar to the end of 2000/beginning of 2001 where Austin didn't main event every PPV (No Mercy 2000, No Way Out 2001) as even Austin had said he felt he was getting a little stale before he took time off. Maybe then WM17 could have been Austin vs Triple H in Texas, a perfect time for Austin to regain the title.

So, had Austin been healthy, how do you see the main event scene of 2000 playing out?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:42 PM
Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Very Average View Post
He was fighting nobody's yes you're right....I wonder if that was more to do with the fact Austin was leaving and they HAD to focus more on Austin than The Rock to get what they could out of him before he left. Rock's booking was terrible after he left the Corporation, he got screwed out of the WWF Title more times than Austin ever did and to have the guy who was at least number 2, if not number 1/joint number 1 feuding with Billy Gunn, British Bulldog and Al Snow is beyond a joke. That's like a John Cena or Roman Reigns feuding with Bo Dallas or Curt Hawkins.

Both from memory and re-watching Raw's and Smackdown's at that time, Rock was just as popular as Austin. Not turning this into a who is bigger thread but to insinuate/say Rock would not have been as big had Austin stayed is wrong.

I believe (if you're interested) that if Austin had not taken 10 months off Rock would have become WWF champion and had the re-match with Austin and defeated him (face vs face), perhaps even winning the title from him. The booking would have been similar to the end of 2000/beginning of 2001 where Austin didn't main event every PPV (No Mercy 2000, No Way Out 2001) as even Austin had said he felt he was getting a little stale before he took time off. Maybe then WM17 could have been Austin vs Triple H in Texas, a perfect time for Austin to regain the title.

So, had Austin been healthy, how do you see the main event scene of 2000 playing out?
Rock wouldn't have gotten that big. He just wouldn't have.

He would have gotten more World Title reigns though and eventually gotten a win over Austin, though I'm not sure I can picture it being a straight face vs. face match, not without turning the crowd on one of them. Rock would have gotten to the main event permanently though, one way or another.

Quote:
Yes
Quote:
I am
Quote:
in fact
Quote:
better than you.