Welcome to the WZCW Application Thread! Be sure to read over the rules and understand them fully before applying.
WZCW Application Rules
Click for Spoiler:
1) You may not use the name or Gimmick of any Licensed WWE, TNA or any other Wrestling Promotion (you may not mention them in your Role-Plays either). Do not mention a previous title run in such organisations either in your application or future Role-Plays.
2) You may not use the name or Gimmick of any other character who has already been accepted to the federation and are currently posted up in the official WZCW Roster section. Please double-check your application to see if you have any similarities with other roster members before applying.
3) Pyrotechnics and Gimmick entrances are not allowed until rewarded. We will reward people with pryo and gimmick entrances and this also may be allowed for special events. However, special lighting is fine to use (feel free to use strobe lights, green lights, black lights, etc).
4) No tweeners are allowed in the fed. You must decide on either face or heel.
5) Please refrain from using moves currently listed in the WZCW Roster thread linked below
WZCW Staff members hold the right to reject and request immediate changes to any application posted. If you need any help, please contact anyone on Staff to solve any problems you may have.
6) We will be strict on these applications. You will need to present a solid sample Roleplay. Not just something you can write up quickly. We will require a full introductory roleplay for your character. This may also apply to certain tenured posters who may be coming back if they had unfavorable exits. We just ask that you comply. We wish to see how devoted you are to coming into WZCW as we cannot just allow anyone in just to have to no-show, affecting our shows.
7) Following applications of new recruits, you will not be slotted into our main shows right away (Meltdown, Ascension, PPVs, etc). Instead, you will have to roleplay for 'House Shows' or 'Dark Match'. These will not be added to any show. We will announce winners and then determine if you will pass on to the main shows or if we need you to adjust your roleplaying for a second 'House Show' or 'Dark Match'. You winning or losing in this position will not be a direct determination of whether you'll need to do a second one of these or you will pass on to Ascension/Meltdown.
On special occasions we do add graphics to the shows. This is something that takes time so when picking an image rep please pick one that has a render already available. You can look through http://psd-dreams.org to see if the one you want is there.
Take a look >>>>>here<<<<< before starting your App. It has all the Image Reps, music and Finishers currently in use. If you see what you wanted to use I'm sorry to say you'll have to pick something else.
WZCW Singles Application Template:
Click for Spoiler:
Fill in the Blanks With Your Information:
Introducing first from ______________, weighing ________ pounds, (Insert superstar's name here)!
Sample Pic of Wrestler:
2 Characteristics of Gimmick:
Previous Injuries/Character Psyche:
Finishing Moves (2 max):
Signature Moves (3 max):
12 Most Used Moves:
Now that you understand the rules and have got your application, please continue reading where one of our members will be guiding you throw the process: making it easy to create your character and start Roleplaying for the e-fed in no time!
We strongly encourage you to read Remix's guide. Doing so will make your life a lot easier:
Originally Posted by Remix
So, you're thinking about Joining WZCW?
If you are, I can't say that I blame you. It's a great e-fed with a wonderful group of RPers and a creative, Creative team. If you want more general guidance about the fed, you should read the WZCW Handbook as this is specifically covering the application process.
What do I need to know/do before I can apply?
There's really very little that you need to do. Just applywith your wrestler and wait to hear back from creative. No further e-fed, role-playing, or creative writing experience is needed. If you've got some, then great. If you haven't, thatís not a problem either. In WZCW you're always judged on quality and you don't always need experience to be a good RPer.
How do I sign up?
You're in the right place. There is an application template above us which I am going to talk you through now using the worked example of Benjamin Hoss. My thoughts on each step are in bold red
Click for Spoiler:
Real Name: Benjamin Hoss
Gimmick Name: Benjamin Hoss
This section should be the easiest to do. Just make up a name that you think fits the character. Here I've gone with a common forename and a wrestling term referring to a big powerful wrestler.
Announced As: None
This is another section that should be easy. Do you want your character to be known as something other than just their name like Kane is the "Big Red Machine" and The Undertaker is "The Phenom?"
Height: 6' 10"
Weight: 400 lbs
These two should correspond to what you want your wrestler to be. Base it on the stats of real wrestlers to compare. You're not going to see a power wrestler who's 6' 10" and 170 lbs.
Hometown: Norwich, England
Billed From: London, England
This is simple. I use the home town to be where I am (or at least the same country) and the "billed from" to mean where the character is announced as being from. So if you live in New York, but your character is a Communist Russian, then say your home town is New York, New York and your character is from Leningrad.
Here Ben's from London, whereas I live in Norwich.
Another easy one, is your character a good guy or a bad guy. Don't say tweener, donít ever say tweener.
Naturally black, shaven.
Unknown. Hoss is kept separate from the rest of the WZCW talent for the safety of himself and those around him.
Big, muscular and very strong
Later on in the form there's a "sample photo" section. What I always do is describe that, for the vauge look of the character, making alterations where necessary.
Sample Pic of Wrestler:
Exactly what it says on the tin. Find an image that suits the gimmick. Google image search and Photobucket are your friends. Remember to use the forumsí [img] tags correctly.
There is a banlist for reps because they're in use or were used by notable people in the fed's past. The link's provided above.
Main Gimmick: freak of nature who's as dumb as he is strong. Additionally, he is fiercely loyal and devoted to his sister, Alicia.
2 Characteristics of Gimmick:
-Has the strength of two strong men
-Has the mind of two particularly stupid children
Essentially, these two sections ask you to describe the essentials your character in a few words. However, don't overlook them or half-ass it. It's important to make your character seem interesting or unique in these sections. If your character seems like it's something that's been done a million times before that's going to taint people's opinion of it.
Here I've taken a classic monster gimmick, but put a new spin on it by making him a man-child, rather than just a monster who likes to smash things.
There is a banlist for gimmicks (see later) but if you can make your character and gimmick sound interesting, you'll get accepted.
From the day he was born his parents knew there was something not right about their son. Instead of crying he was silent no matter what the doctors did. If his chest wasn't moving they'd have sworn he was dead. Alive he was though, healthy and strong to boot. He was bigger than their other children, even at a young age and followed his sister like a lamb. After getting diagnosed with learning difficulties at the age of four for his inability to speak or read, it was decided to keep him out of mainstream education and was home schooled. One day in a break between his lessons on how to put on trousers and feeding himself his father put on a wrestling show. Hoss was infatuated with it, he still is. Years later Alicia told him they were going to the USA to take part in his favorite show. Hoss didn't know why Alicia was taking him to WZCW, or he'd get inside the TV he just smiled.
This is a simple section. Write a backstory. Just have fun with it. Be as detailed (or not) as you like.
Youtube for a song that fits your character and you like. Also, double check the banlist to make sure it's not in use already. Again use the forums Youtube tags correctly.
Hoss and Alicia walk to the ring (Hoss wearing a blindfold to prevent him getting over-stimulated during his entrance. Alicia pulls down the top rope so Hoss can step over it and takes him to his corner, removing his blindfold when he's there. Until the bell rings she stands on the apron with her hand on his shoulder, telling him not to move until the match is underway.
There's a rule here that says no pyro or suchlike until you're established. Stick to that, but otherwise have fun with it and give any many details as possible.
Fighting Style (1 primary, 1 secondary):
Previous Injuries/Character Psyche:
Click for Spoiler:
Previously, this section was known as the Weaknesses & Strengths:
Simple minded. When Hoss decides to do something he is utterly focused on that task and nothing will distract him. This makes tricking him or saying mind games a foolish endeavour.
Size and strength. Hoss is a freak of nature. Because of his ridiculous strength he can toss most members of the roster around like they are rag dolls. These attributes also make it difficult to apply submission holds.
Hard head. Hoss has an exceedingly hard skull and very small brains. This means that shots to the head do very little to him and will get shaken off quite quickly.
Simple minded. Hoss is only able to focus on one task; so in multi man matches, he will completely ignore one wrestler unless they make themselves known to him. Additionally, his understanding of the rules is virtually nonexistent, making disqualification a possibility in all of his matches. For this reason he won't pin someone unless Alicia tells him to. He also tends to try to walk through things rather than around them. This could be embarrassing if he tries to walk through the ring ropes.
Incapable of striking; Hoss simply never thinks to throw any strikes preferring to simply toss his opponent around the ring.
Dependence on Alicia; Hoss is unable to function without his sister at his side. Without her at ringside, Hoss won't think to end a match, tag out, hit a finisher, or do anything beyond throw his opponent around. If she's sent from ringside, he will follow. If someone hurts her, he will demolish them at the expense of all else.
These two sections are, in my opinion the most important of the entire application form. This section can make or break a character. It's where the character is fleshed out in more detail and gives the writers ideas for matches.
You've got to stay focused on the ring in this section in my opinion, so even if you're giving a character flaw, make it relevant to a match. Giving a weaknesses like "being uncharismatic" (or the opposite) is not only a lame weakness, it positively makes match writing harder as it's taking away something to write about.
However, we have changed this because as mentioned previously, people have been creating terrible weaknesses and over-powered strengths. So, we switched this section with listed "Fighting Styles" that best suit the character, focusing on their strengths as well getting people into the habit of designing their move-set to those fighting styles. If you list submission specialist, you're going to have to focus your moves around what a submission specialist would wrestle like (i.e. submissions & limb-targeting moves).
As for the lack of weaknesses, we have installed a new section known as "Injuries/Psyche. This is basically an area where you can list your characters physical injuries and other mental weaknesses that he may have. For Hoss, one of his "Psyche" weaknesses is that he relies on his manager Alicia too much. Anything that can affect the character in a negative way should be listed here. On a further note, should your character receive an injury during your tenure in WZCW, it will be added by one of the creative members to your page.
HOSS SLAM! (Reverse bodyslam) ONLY USED WHEN ALICIA GIVES THE INSTRUCTION!
HOSS SMASH! (three short arm lariats to an opponent followed by a one high impact lariat) ONLY USED IF ALICIA IS HARMED BY AN OPPONENT!
You get two finishers. Use them wisely. I usually denote one of them as the "primary" (i.e. most commonly used) finisher and the other as secondary as flavour. These finishers should fit your character (if he's a flashy high flier, he's unlikely to finish matches with a simple submission hold) and one of them should be able to hit everyone on the roster. (If your character's a 220 lb guy with a lifting move as his primary finisher, it'd be a good idea to have the second finisher as one that can be applied to someone like Hoss)
NB: there are some finishers that are banned as they're already in use. Check the Character Creation "Ban List" for of these before submitting. - WARNING - Ban list currently up for maintainence.
3 Signature Moves:
Multiple falling chokeslams Hoss toss (throws the opponent across the ring from the snake-eyes position) Reverse powerbomb (often used to set up the HOSS SLAM at Alicia's command)
12 Most Used Moves:
Release skylift slam
Scoop Slam (often done repeatedly)
Gorilla press flapjack
Corner to corner Irish Whip.
Overhead armtrap suplex (often done as counter to a collar and elbow lockup)
One handed bulldog
This is another section that should be easy. The way I usually do this section is to think of how a character like this would wrestle most of the match and give him a strategy. In this case, he'd toss everyone around the ring, but not really follow up on it, leaving him a chance for them to get picked up and slammed again. Give your character a consistent strategy in the ring and you're making the match itself easier to write for creative as well as easier to put together. Mark your signatures in bold tags to help further.
There are banned regular moves in the banlist to. Donít ignore that section but if your character's moveset seems interesting and gives the writers something to go on, at a glance they're going to overlook the fact that your character uses roundhouse kicks. Itís OK, even encouraged, to use a variation of a move on the banlist
Click for Spoiler:
The sounds of Benjamin Hoss' subterranean quarters are petrifying to those who aren't used to them. The dripping water from the ceiling, the ominous thumping coming from Hoss' "Playroom". Working up his nerve Leon Kensworth knocks on the oak door
Unknown voice:[color=red] Come in!
Taking a deep breath, Kensworth opens the door and sees the source of the banking, Hoss tossing a crash test dummy with the words AlX StaReKe written on in a child like scrawl on a large square of carpet.
Alicia: [color=red]Leon, I'm so glad you could make it. Ben stop playing with your dolls and come here to meet Mr Kensworth!
Immediately Hoss drops the dummy and runs over to his sister. Leon extends his hand, which causes Hoss to look confused. She turns to him
Alicia: Ben, you remember how I said I was getting you something special for your birthday?
The manchild nods.
Alicia: Well this is it. This nice man has come to tell you that you that WZCW want you to work for them.
Hoss' face lights up like a Christmas tree and he immediately hugs Leon, who looks distinctly uncomfortable.
Alicia: Ben! Put him down right now!
He complies and looks sheepish, like a child caught with his hand in the cookie jar.
Alicia: Now Ben, what do we say to people who give us nice things?
[b]Hoss:[b] Thank... you, Mister
Leon: You're welcome Ben.
Alicia: Now Ben, me and "Mister" are going to step outside and have a few words. Why don't you go back to playing with Alex?
He immediately runs back to his carpet and picks up the dummy while the rest slip out the door.
Alicia Thanks so much for coming. It really made his day.
Leon pauses to rub his ribs before replying.
Leon: It was my pleasure. I've got all I need to give a report to WZCW management about your brother. Do you have any questions?
Alicia: I do have one. How is Ben going to get to the USA for his shows? He doesn't do well at interacting with large numbers of people, and putting him in a blindfold might concern other fliers.
Leon: Well, given what I've seen today, and what you told us when you applied for a roster spot, that shouldn't be a problem. Because of Ben's... unique needs we should be able to justify chartering a flight for him. It's not standard for new wrestlers, but, with all due respect to your brother, he's not our standard wrestler.
Alicia: Thanks so much for this Leon. I hope to see you again once Ben's officially part of the roster. Now, if you don't mind I need to get back to him.
Leon nods and Alicia quickly reenters the "playroom". Leon and the WZCW cameramen turn and walk back down the damp passageway glad to have finished seeing the leviathan that was Benjamin Hoss.
You know what I said about the sample history being a fun section? This is the best one of the lot. It's also important, so don't take it as a joke. This section's got to give an impression to Creative what you're going to be able to do if you get admitted to the fed. It doesn't have to be long, just long enough to show what you can do. Interesting applications makes for fun RPs to read and write.
What if I want my character to have a manager?
Then you need to fill out a separate form found in the Non Player Characters thread. I've filled out one for Alicia Hoss below.
Click for Spoiler:
Name: Alicia Hoss
NPC gimmick: Sister/handler of Benjamin Hoss
Sample pic of character:
NPC mainly used by: Benjamin Hoss
This form is easy. Think up a name, fine a photo, state who he/she is (relative to your character) and who they are used by.
Do you have any other tips?
I have a few, yes. These are all as important as each other.
1) Be original. If you're a stuck up, rich heel who will do anything to win, rethink your application. It's been done from nearly every angle you can imagine. Same again for a small, cocky high-flying face.
2) Do your research. If a finisher's being used, don't put it as yours. Know the standards for RPs here and who does what. I'd strongly recommend looking at RPs by people like Lee (Titus/Red Mask)... or anyone currently on creative if you want a great example of what doing it "right" looks like. There are several great RPers here that I didn't mention. That's mostly because some of them have very distinctive styles that I'd recommend not imitating. Especially as a newbie
3) Proof read your application. Put it through spellcheck or ask someone to read over it. Nobody's going to take it seriously if your form is filled with spelling and grammar errors. Furthermore it will have the same impression on your RPs, which will cost you matches
4) Think carefully about your moveset. Firstly because you don't want to be listing finishers as regular moves, which is a No No. But also check that they make sense for your character. If your character is a submission specialist who ends matches with an omnoplata, it makes sense for him to use submissions that weaken the arms. If your wrestler is a 165 lb cruiserweight, it makes no sense for him to be throwing powerbombs or suplexes but strikes and dives will be a prominent feature of his style.
5) When RPing, give your character a distinctive voice. A lot of new guys' RPs comes off as being very similar. To that point that you could replace the name of the character of some of them and the RP would still make sense. The best advice I can really give is to try and think like the character, or if you can't do that, think about the points you want to get across and write accordingly. And never rush to post your RPs early, thereís no prize for posting first.
6) This is a personal pet peeve. Make it clear who's speaking. There are far too many RPers who think it's acceptable to differentiate between speakers with nothing more than different colours. No! Don't be so lazy. It should be possible to distinguish the different characters without the aid of colours. If you're writing in script format (like my sample RP is) tag the dialogue. If you're writing in prose (like a book) then follow standard grammar rules and colour the first mention of a speaker's name in descriptive text in their dialogue colour.
7) Have fun! WZCW isn't life and death. Don't obsess about wins and losses. Just enjoy yourself.