WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 12-28-2016, 04:11 PM

RIPbossman is looking to come up from OCW...RIPbossman is looking to come up from OCW...RIPbossman is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Hogan And Austin Had More Impact On Wrestling History Than The Rock

Many people consider Hogan, Austin and Rock to be the holy trinity of the Wrestlemania era. And while Rock may have gotten bigger crowd reactions than the other two, Hogan and Austin were much more important to wrestling history.

With a new radical vision for pro wrestling behind him, Hogan lead the charge as Vince McMahon revolutionized the business.

In 1997, WWE was in dire straits and on the verge of going under as WCW destroyed Raw in the ratings. Then again, a radical new vision for the company emerged in 1998 with Austin leading the charge. He along with a great supporting cast, pulled WWE from the brink of collapse and made them a thriving force once again.

I feel Rock passed Austin in 1999 from a popularity standpoint. But by that time WWE was a thriving force and WCW wasnt competitive any more. Rock never got the opportunity to impact wrestling history like Austin and Hogan did. He just made WWE more popular.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-28-2016, 04:39 PM
the root of all evil
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...

Wrestlemania 18 disagrees with you.

the Five Moves of doom?
sendpm.gif
Old 12-28-2016, 04:54 PM
G.O.A.T.
WWE Diva's Champion

relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...

id agree but only because the Rock has completely transcended the wrestling industry. Hogan and Austin are more important to the small little kingdom that is professional wrestling sure, but Rock has gone on to achieve much more on a worldwide scale that both combined.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-28-2016, 06:51 PM

ComeOnVince is looking to come up from OCW...ComeOnVince is looking to come up from OCW...ComeOnVince is looking to come up from OCW...ComeOnVince is looking to come up from OCW...ComeOnVince is looking to come up from OCW...

I agree without hesitation. And in doing so, I have no intention of attempting to downplay the Rock's POPULARITY, only his impact.

Hogan obviously was the face of the WWF when McMahon was changing the entire industry. His popularity, having crossed into mainstream, was unprecedented.

Austin, unquestionably, was the face and the fire of the Attitude Era, regardless of what you believe about when exactly the Attitude Era began. Austin was the frontman of a new day in WWF, one that no doubt had MANY players, including the Rock.

But the Rock's popularity came on a little slower. He was not a "game changer," though he did have the benefit of being one of wrestling's all-time most popular, dynamic characters.

Austin and the Attitude Era would have been just as successful without The Rock. It's hard to imagine, but it's true. The Rock's feud with SCSA came AFTER Austin had already turned the tides in the MNWs with his feud with McMahon. Granted, for Austin to go from McMahon to the Rock kept the fire red hot, but I don't think Rock's presence was necessary.

Rock deserves his place, without question. But it is not atop Olympia with Hogan and Austin.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-29-2016, 01:42 AM
WWF Hardcore Champion

Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Hogan was wrestling, the only name anyone knew in the early 90's, you knew Hogan, Savage and maybe Andre, if you didn't want wrestling.

Austin created the Attitude Era, the entire surge of wrestling in the late 90's came from Austin's rebellious antics and eventually the McMahon feud. While it takes 2 to tango, and The Rock was a big art of Austin vs McMahon, I think Rock rode Austin a lot on his initial pushes.

While Dwayne has had the most success outside of the ring (and possibly might be becoming one of the biggest Action Actors in history), I think the way he left the wrestling scene deflated and hurt wrestling more than the other stars.

The fact that one of the WWE flagship shows is named after The Rock's catchphrase of Smackdown! is proof enough that The Rock has left a strong legacy, but I think WCW was only legitimate once Hogan jumped ship, and I think Stone Cold elevated The Rock to the level that he was at going into the new millennium.

I hold The Rock and John Cena at about the same level, I think after Cena's done wrestling, that will be a popular opinion, slightly unpopular now. The Rock wasn't the face of the company as long as Austin was there.

Vince McMahon> Hogan > Austin > Bruno > The Rock = John Cena, is basically my hierarchy of wrestling.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-29-2016, 07:58 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...

Hogan and Vince took WWF main stream in the early 1980s. Together they made WrestleMania what it was. It is beyond question that Hulk Hogan made the business what it is today. However, he also betrayed Vince by going to WCW, which caused Stone Cold to erupt in popularity due to his Character and Storylines as well as his excellent matches with Bret Hart, Mick Foley, Undertaker and Shawn Michaels. However, Rock made just as big an impact as Austin, and carried the WWF during the year 2000 as the main man. The fact that The Rock then went on to be the biggest star in Hollywood 16 years later is a reflection of his charisma and the impact he has on audiences. The 3 of them had an important but different impacts on the business in equal measure.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-29-2016, 07:59 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...

No Bret and Shawn? haha
sendpm.gif
Old 12-29-2016, 11:57 AM

yourdamnluck is looking to come up from OCW...

Since we are talking about wrestling history here, Hogan and Vince certainly top that list but putting Austin there is irrational worship of a guy who happened to be the top face for barely a year.

When people look back at wrestling history a lot of people are ahead of austin. A general fan remembers more Undertaker moments than Austin's, they remember more of The Rocks' phrases than Austin.

Kevin freakin Nash & Sting had a bigger impact than Austin.

Austin was more of a flash in the pan. As far as wrestling history goes guys like kane, Bret, Shawn, flair, etc had a bigger impact.

Austin was great no one can take away that. But wrestling history ain't just about 3 men. All these legends deserve their place even Cena.

And as much as i hate to admit it, an argument can be made for goldberg too.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-29-2016, 05:15 PM
G.O.A.T.
WWE Diva's Champion

relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...

lol HBK and bret were place holders at best

And yes, Austin does deserve his place atop the mountain, are you saying that WWF would have crushed WCW without Austin vs McMahon? Make no mistake about it Austin is better than the rest save for Hulk Hogan, he did take wrestling to the next level and he had a huge impact. The Attitude Era wouldn't exist without the guy, just as the WrestleMania era wouldn't exist without Hogan.

Last edited by relentless1 : 12-29-2016 at 05:19 PM.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-29-2016, 06:07 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentless1 View Post
lol HBK and bret were place holders at best
I disagree here. Both had a major impact on the pro wrestling industry. It just will never be remembered the way Hogan and Austin had impact on wrestling. Business was down and times were tough for WWF when they were on top. But they changed the game from the rock and wrestling super heros era to a more in ring based focused company.

Bret Hart was the first guy they went with post Hogan. His first title reign was a really tough position to be in. There was no winning there. I do think he did a great job though and made the champion more of a part of the weekly show.

Shawn was champion when the WWF was at its absolute worst. Many give him credit for carrying the ball through the rough patch and have said they weren't sure if they would have made it through without him.

Did Bret/Shawn have the impact Hogan/Austin had? I don't think so. But I certainly won't call them place holders either.

The Rock also didn't have the impact of Hogan/Austin mainly because when he became the top face of the company, the AE was on the down swing of popularity. Wrestling is cyclical and was starting to drift from the main stream around that time.
sendpm.gif