WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > General Wrestling Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 03-12-2017, 06:09 PM

Tsunaru is looking to come up from OCW...

Omega is primed to win the title, but I think they've got other things in mind for him beforehand. He's been teasing something with Cole for a while now on The Elite's Youtube channel, and that started spilling over onto TV during the Honor Rising shows. Cole's contract with ROH is supposedly coming to an end at the end of next month, so it's something they need to pull the trigger on quickly if they plan on actually making that a program. As much of a work horse as Omega is, I don't think he could juggle chasing the title and working a program with Cole at the same time. He's also started teasing something with Ibushi on twitter earlier today.

Ishii may not have been the best choice to eliminate Omega, but he's certainly not the worst that could have been picked either. Dude's been on fire the last couple years, putting on fantastic matches with Makabe, Honma, Okada, and now what will probably be the match of the tournament with Omega.

"Fave Five"
1) Kenny Omega (NJPW)
2) Shinsuke Nakamura (NXT)
3) AJ Styles (WWE)
4) Kevin Owens (WWE)
5) Asuka (NXT)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:40 AM
Only have NJ World now!
Knockout Champion

ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I want to say first that Suzuki vs Shibata was pretty disappointing to me. It felt like there was no heat, just like a normal match, when considering what Suzuki did there absolutely should've been! Let's hope they were intentionally holding back for rematches.

As far as Ishii vs Omega is concerned. I really can't believe how I am constantly tricked by these matches. The crowd was with Omega, he was very dominant, I figured Ishii would get a comeback but no way did I think he was winning. However I'm very happy for him!

There was a moment, I think just after the OWA-stunner spot (which was fantastic!) The crowd seemed to realise "wait... Is Ishii gonna win?" and suddenly erupted. What a moment.

I really think Ishii could win it all... Still hoping for Shibata! But I think whoever wins is going to challenge Naito. If Ishii wins, not sure he would challenge his own stablemate (would still be cool though). If Shibata wins, he no doubt would've had to put up with shenanigans in the final against Evil from the rest of LIJ maybe from Naito himself which gives him the motivation. BUT Shibata vs Okada is really the match I want to see.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:07 AM
Yemrez Reqonıc
WCW TV Champion

ShinChan scored a win over Santino Marella...ShinChan scored a win over Santino Marella...ShinChan scored a win over Santino Marella...ShinChan scored a win over Santino Marella...ShinChan scored a win over Santino Marella...ShinChan scored a win over Santino Marella...ShinChan scored a win over Santino Marella...ShinChan scored a win over Santino Marella...ShinChan scored a win over Santino Marella...ShinChan scored a win over Santino Marella...ShinChan scored a win over Santino Marella...

This time I got the winner right. Yay.

I think that considering Kenny Omega and Suzuki were out in the first round itself, the right person won the whole tournament. I'm curious to see which Championship is challenged for next. I would love it to be the big one but it could be Never Openweight since it will be an impromptu rematch against Hirooki Goto.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:09 AM
Only have NJ World now!
Knockout Champion

ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
BUT Shibata vs Okada is really the match I want to see.
Fuck yes! My number one dream match in New Japan is happening and I'll be there to witness it!

From a pure booking standpoint, has there ever been a tournament so shocking? I can't believe how differently everything panned out, I was wrong a good portion of the time, even before the final, thinking Evil was guaranteed there. But I'm so happy with Shibata winning it all!

As far as matches go, Ishii vs Omega, Shibata vs Sanada and Ishii vs Shibata were the standouts. But I think this tournament will be remembered by me for how it was booked more than anything.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:25 AM
Yemrez Reqonıc
WCW TV Champion

ShinChan scored a win over Santino Marella...ShinChan scored a win over Santino Marella...ShinChan scored a win over Santino Marella...ShinChan scored a win over Santino Marella...ShinChan scored a win over Santino Marella...ShinChan scored a win over Santino Marella...ShinChan scored a win over Santino Marella...ShinChan scored a win over Santino Marella...ShinChan scored a win over Santino Marella...ShinChan scored a win over Santino Marella...ShinChan scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ヒュー G. レックション View Post
Fuck yes! My number one dream match in New Japan is happening and I'll be there to witness it!

From a pure booking standpoint, has there ever been a tournament so shocking? I can't believe how differently everything panned out, I was wrong a good portion of the time, even before the final, thinking Evil was guaranteed there. But I'm so happy with Shibata winning it all!

As far as matches go, Ishii vs Omega, Shibata vs Sanada and Ishii vs Shibata were the standouts. But I think this tournament will be remembered by me for how it was booked more than anything.
Is it confirmed that Shibata will challenge Okada? If yes, then that's a damn good news. I thought that he would be more interested in getting his Never Openweight Championship back from Hirooki Goto after he lost it at Wrestle Kingdom 11.

If Shibata really challenges Okada, I think that title change could surely take place like it happened with Naito last year. Then Okada could regain it before Wrestle Kingdom 12.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:09 AM
Only have NJ World now!
Knockout Champion

Yep, I was worried he would say Goto. But he directly challenged Okada after the match.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:10 PM
Top Guys Out
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Bagpipes scored a win over Santino Marella...Bagpipes scored a win over Santino Marella...Bagpipes scored a win over Santino Marella...Bagpipes scored a win over Santino Marella...Bagpipes scored a win over Santino Marella...Bagpipes scored a win over Santino Marella...Bagpipes scored a win over Santino Marella...Bagpipes scored a win over Santino Marella...Bagpipes scored a win over Santino Marella...Bagpipes scored a win over Santino Marella...Bagpipes scored a win over Santino Marella...

I second the motion that this tournament really didn't have those one or two memorable matches that it usually produces, but hot damn was it a booker's wet dream.

I still love a good surprise in wrestling, however rare it may be these days, so I enjoyed this tourney. It's so early in the year that I'm not going to get excited if Shibata takes some of the main event spotlight away from Omega, it's not like he hasn't earned it.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:08 PM
I've got more Ho's than Jim Duggan
WWF Hardcore Champion

Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...

Its been hard for me to stay up to date with everything on NJPWWorld, and even harder to find time to post, but I thought I'd catch up on some of my thoughts on the early goings on of 2017.

First, New Beginning in Sapporo was a pretty standard show with the main event being the only real standout. And I honestly wasn't a huge fan of Okada/Suzuki; not that it was bad, but I think all of the hype behind Suzuki returning and getting this title shot put way too high expectations onto the match and the performance that was delivered was a little too slow and deliberate and overly dragged out. Okada and Suzuki did far better against one another in the G-1 a couple years back, and this was on the lower end of the scale from what I usually rate Okada title defenses. The one other note that I will bring up from this show is that the LIJ versus Tana and friends match was insanely fun, and the best 8-10 man early/midcard tag match that the company has offered so far this year.

As for New Beginning in Osaka, it was a worlds better show, and a great true headliner for the tour. The Shibata/Ospreay match was outstanding, Hiromu and Dragon Lee added another borderline classic to their rivalry, and Elgin/Naito put on a main event that belongs in the early MOTY conversation circles.

The Honor Rising shows were mostly just the caliber of throwaway "road to" shows, but there were some solid outings. Night 1 produced two fun tag matches with the Bucks versus War Machine and the Briscoes versus Cole and Omega; while Night 2 featured a solid Cole title defense against YOSHI-HASHI that continued to further YOSHI's stock in my eyes after a great 2016, and the 8-man tag main event was just awesome and capped the shows nicely, especially with the tease of dissension at the top of the Bullet Club ranks that is eventually playing out on ROH TV.

The 45th anniversary show delivered in my eyes with a pretty well worked card throughout, a very good showing from Taguchi continuing to carry the serious streak through the match and getting perhaps the most different title defense that we've seen from this Hiromu reign, and Ibushi(in the tiger mask) and Okada absolutely tore the house down with a match that I feel was much better than Suzuki/Okada from New Beginning.

I'm still wading through all of the NJ Cup tourney matches, but from what I've seen so far... EVIL/Tanahashi was very good and not far behind the level of Tana/Naito from the Dome. Night two was the best overall night I've seen from the tour and featured three solid tourney matches, with YOSHI/SANADA being very good but not getting enough love; Shibata/Suzuki being very solid but getting perhaps too much love; and Omega/Ishii putting on a match that is probably the second best match on the planet so far in 2017 just the thinnest of hairs behind the Wrestle Kingdom main event. As for the rest of the tourney matches in the later rounds(and I still haven't caught the final) , though I enjoyed the unpredictable booking and see some of the logic, there really wasn't much to see as far as great wrestling. Shibata and Ishii's semifinal was the only other match worth going out of your way to see, but it was an awesome match and probably the second best match on the tour after Ishii/Omega.

Shibata versus Okada should be great, and its a very reasonable direction for the company to go, but I can't help but admit that an Ishii/EVIL final with Ishii winning by beating an LIJ guy and then challenging Naito for the IC belt to try and capture all three top singles titles for CHAOS seemed like a more viable story arch to me. Plus Ishii deserves a spot like that with the way he's been performing.

From early returns, it appears that Ishii, Okada, Shibata, and Omega are going to battle tooth and nail as the best big match performers in the world throughout 2017 and it should be a fun journey to watch. Also Naito, Elgin, Tana, Hiromu, and Tiger Mask W should continue to be put in positions to follow up some incredible early 2017 showings as well.

As has been the case in most recent years, the Cup tourney was more about curve balls and left field booking than it was great wrestling, but it still delivered a fun tour from what I've seen and sets up NJPW to continue its momentum heading into the Spring and building toward the United States debut shows.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:30 PM

Tsunaru is looking to come up from OCW...

I don't see Shibata winning the title from Okada. It makes little sense in the grand scheme of things to have Shibata be a transitional champion if Omega is still planned to hold the title going into the G1 Special, unless they want to hold off on him getting his win back over Okada until WK12.

I admit to having completely forgot that they were going to need a way to write Cole out when his contract expired at the end of April, which is why I was so sure Omega was taking the NJC. In hindsight, that was a bad call on my part. I was going to film a video discussing the first round of the NJC (Or "Upset City Bitch" as I called it), and got as far as writing the script, but I ended up never finding the time to actually record until we'd passed the semi-finals, at which point it was kind of irrelevant, so I'll summarize it here instead.

I was originally on the fence about every major favorite being eliminated so early on (Shibata could have arguably been a favorite elsewhere in the bracket, but his getting paired with Suzuki in the first round made him an underdog initially, while he took over the spot as one of two favorites in the quarterfinals). I was bemused by it at first, but then I questioned the logic behind it. I ended up debating it with a buddy of mine though, who was staunchly against it, and managed to talk myself into it being a good thing.

The New Japan Cup, especially over the last half a dozen years, has been primarily used as a launching pad for those who are on the cusp of being main event level. We've got three guys this year (Shibata, EVIL and Ishii) that spent the entirety of last year in lower to mid card positions feuding over the NEVER Openweight Title, and Fale who played his usual spoiler role against upper card guys in tournaments. These are all guys that could now realistically make a play for either the Heavyweight or Intercontinental titles and find themselves in the upper card, which adds some flavor to the shows rather than going the WWE route and having the same feuds over and over for months on end. Maybe having the four big favorites (Omega, Tanahashi, Elgin and Suzuki) all lose out on the first round was a bit much, as the brackets probably could have been tweaked a little to have those eliminations take place over the preliminary and the quarterfinals, but there isn't much later that it could have happened in order to still give a rub to all four guys.

Losses don't do anything to hurt the bigger guys in the tournament either. Pro Wrestling is treated much more like a legitimate sport in Japan, and like in any legitimate sport, anybody can beat anybody else on any day. This was the equivalent of the WildCard2 seed beating the Division1 seed in the Stanley Cup playoffs, except even easier to believe happening due to it's nature of a single match elimination style rather than a Best of Seven.

I'm finding myself intrigued by this, because it was so out from left field and unexpected. I'm the biggest Kenny Omega mark in the world, so obviously I would have loved had it gone as originally as most people expected, but now I find myself even more curious about how it's going to turn out, giving me more incentive to tune in and see.

"Fave Five"
1) Kenny Omega (NJPW)
2) Shinsuke Nakamura (NXT)
3) AJ Styles (WWE)
4) Kevin Owens (WWE)
5) Asuka (NXT)
Old 03-26-2017, 12:27 AM
Yemrez Reqonıc
WCW TV Champion

Something that came into my mind while posting in Samoa Joe Vs. Randy Orton tourney thread.

What if Samoa Joe had gone to NJPW? He has a very strong style of wrestling as shown by his matches against Zayn and Nakamura. I'm just intrigued to think about him going against NJPW wrestlers like Kenny Omega, Katsuyori Shibata. Those would've been hard hitting brutal matches. Damn.